So, how 'bout them politics...

Stuff that just doesn't fit anywhere else. (As if our other threads don't run off topic already.)
Lightfeather
Your Admin
Your Admin
Cash on hand: Locked
Bank: Locked
Custom Rank: Petrichor
Games: Guild Wars 2

So, how 'bout them politics...

Post by Lightfeather » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:48 pm

The news lately has left me feeling pretty depressed. To the point where I actually started looking up how to move to Canada. (I don't know anyone there and have never even visited. It's a total pipe dream.) I checked my NOC code on their immigration page and I qualify as "Skill level B" which would allow "Express Entry".

It makes me feel like a coward to want to just pack up and leave, but it's not me I'm afraid for. It's Chloe. Every day I send her to school I worry she's in danger. It gnaws at my heart. Things are moving so slow in government that she'll be an old lady by the time anything good happens to remedy this sickness. That is, if she doesn't get shot while trying to get her diploma first. If she makes it to old age she'll have dodged a bullet. It's like Russian Roulette: School Edition, every day. I'm so tired of the persistent stress. :'(
ImageImage

Munki
Custom Rank: Alouette, gentille Alouette
Games: Diablo III, GW2, Monster Hunter
Guild: Grog, TOG

Re: So, how 'bout them politics...

Post by Munki » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:39 pm

The whole situation has angered me to the point that I have to step away from Facebook threads about it all the time.

It's not that it's happening that has me really pissed this time (although that's part of it, that shit like this is still happening and we haven't taken ANY steps to try and fix it), it's more how callous gun supporters are towards the victims this time. I am sure this has happened to a degree every time, but it feels like now it's more in your face.

People trying to say that the kids / families are using their grief to push a political agenda just sicken me. Or this whole "Crisis Actors" thing. Like you can tell the NRA groups are getting desperate if this is what they are resorting to. Because more and m ore people are going to start getting fed up with our FUCKING CHILDREN needlessly dying because some guy with a small dick has to own multiple AR's to feel better about his shitty lot in life.

It especially angers me because of the whole stupid "slippery slope" bullshit. People don't want to take your fucking guns away. Stop thinking they do. They just maybe want it so that we can try our best to weed out the dickbags who are going to go fire Semi Auto weaponry in to a throng of people. We don't want to see guns taken away (because that's unrealistic anyway), we just want crazies to not have such an easy time of getting weapons that can kill a shitload of people quickly.

Sorry. I really can't talk about this fucking subject rationally, the more I go the more upset I get. I just wish people would open up a fucking DIALOG about it. Instead of just immediately fearing for their NRA-fun-buxx and refusing to even admit there is a problem.

PS. Also bonus points for laughing about how Trump said he would have run in to Parkland to try and stop the shooter, even if he was unarmed. To criticize the deputies that froze. I love it when someone who has never been in a situation where they could get a bullet in their skull criticizes the actions of someone like that. Especially when that someone did everything in their legal power to get out of going to Vietnam.
Space for Rent

Sord
Brewmaster
Brewmaster
Custom Rank: The Trev

Post by Sord » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:22 pm

I have a few friends on facebook that cycle around a lot of the pro-gun stuff and the idiotic thoughts like "There are thousands of unemployed veterans, lets give them guns and have them guard our schools!" and I generally just end up hiding their posts. I don't engage them cause there's no point. If I didn't know these people IRL, I'd have written them off long ago. When I do engage one of my more conservative friends, I generally boil all arguments down to money, since that's all they seem to understand. Oh, they are against socialized healthcare cause X? Well, here's money reason Y it's better. Oh, what's net neutrality? All that matters is you're going to be paying more for the shit you already have access to right now. Etc.

My head is too far into the future. The politics of now don't even seem to matter when thinking of how fucked we are cause of climate change. Do you know how many times I've "comforted" myself by thinking, well, at least I'll most likely be dead before the worst of it hits. Depression has me thinking grim thoughts lately :P

And because I haven't got to use these in too long.

:popnfresh: :popnfresh: :rofl: :popki: :coffin:
Bye space sword!

Coldfyre
Master Gunner
Master Gunner
Custom Rank: Golden Power

Post by Coldfyre » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:32 pm

Count me as another person very seriously thinking about moving to another country. Unfortunately, I don't feel I can right now- I feel obligated to help care for my elderly father, my family is here, my girlfriend is here, I know very little about HOW to even do it, and I'm broke. I bought a book called "Getting Out" that should help with the how, but that's about as far as I've gotten.

As for the actual politics, things really changed for me when Trump was elected. I'd always known that a lot of people didn't share my beliefs, that there were assholes in the world, racists, etc. Never before had I felt like I was surrounded by monsters, like I was unsafe, like a huge percentage of the country's population are people so far removed from me in their values and thought patterns that I have trouble even thinking of them as fellow human beings. It's a fucking nightmare and it's lingering there in the background every. single. day.
Well, EXCUUUUUUSE ME, Princess!

Lightfeather
Your Admin
Your Admin

Post by Lightfeather » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:06 am

I know, right? It's especially hard for me because most of my extended family voted for this administration. I've lost so much respect for my family that it makes socializing with them difficult. Always in the back of my head I think, "This is the world you want to live in? You fucking monsters. I disown you. I disown you!"

The only thing I can attribute to their abhorrent choice is that they must be treating politics like a sport. They picked a team a long time ago and don't want to appear like "fair-weather fans" who leave when their team isn't doing so well.

But god damnit. There's a difference between rooting for a loser team and supporting a team that's gone completely off the rails. It's like if the members of your favorite sports team started doing horrible things to people and you just kept clapping and cheering. It's just wrong! You don't just keep supporting them! You stop buying their fucking merchandise and find another damn team.

I actively avoid talking to my family more than I have to these days and my mother's picked up on it. I tried to explain why I am having trouble and oh my god. The excuses. The fox talking points. She came pretty close to calling me a snowflake at one point but held back. I just... all the nope. I'm so done. As soon as they start talking vitriol politics I hang up or turn my back and walk away. I won't be a sounding board for the defense of any of what's going on right now. It's all completely indefensible.

I feel like I lost my family last November and have been in mourning ever since.

And I just realized, this is how civil war starts. Brother against brother. Etc
ImageImage

dcazman
Captain
Captain
Custom Rank: Master of the obvious.
Games: PS4 games

Post by dcazman » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:59 am

i still very shocked how many people still love and support 45. I haven't seen a single supporter I know change their mind and I know a lot of supporters.
Also, every day i wake up and realize how racist, sexist, homophobic most of use are. i try to probe myself for these defects and fail to find them but I know they live in me by environment.
I wish I had the strength of character to move and the money. I am honestly not sure what is so impressive about America?
I worry for our planet every day and wonder when the next war will break out that will impact our children.
This space for rent , playing DOW and games on the PS3

Jae
Exalted Brewmaster
Exalted Brewmaster

Post by Jae » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:20 am

I know a couple of supporters who have turned, but not many. But like LF said, the general feeling among both blue and red camps is like that of a sports rivalry. Nobody listens to the other side because hey, blue/red for life man.

I do feel like an oddball for not claiming a static allegiance to any one side. I prefer to think things out and form my own opinion. Or maybe I'm just being "unpatriotic" haha.

Lightfeather
Your Admin
Your Admin

Post by Lightfeather » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:07 pm

Over the course of my voting eligible life, I have voted both sides of the isle depending on the candidates and their platforms. I have not subscribed to one camp or another, but I'm firmly against batshit crazy. And what's going on now is pretty nuts.
ImageImage