Steam Christmas Sale

Found a good deal on the interwebs and want to share? Post it here!
Marcallo
Brew Master
Brew Master
Cash on hand: Locked
Custom Rank: Grand Wizard

Steam Christmas Sale

Post by Marcallo » Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:27 am

BIG sales going on over at Steam for the next couple days. Even though I own it on 360 I'm probably going to grab the FO3 game of the year edition. I never played ANY of the DLC and I have a feeling the PC experience may be a worthwhile investment regardless. I played FO3 BEFORe I had my High Def TV even. Hard to believe how time flies. But getting the game and ALL the DLC for 35 bucks seems a great deal.

There's some other great deals on there as well, check it out. Steampowered.com
Dog carcass in alley this morning, tire tread on burst stomach. This city is afraid of me. I have seen it's true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"...

...and I'll look down, and whisper "no."

Tamayo
Captain
Captain

Re: Steam Christmas Sale

Post by Tamayo » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:35 pm

Oh dear... I'm gonna be doing some pointless impulse buys this weekend >_<
"Critics who treat adult as a term of approval cannot be adult themselves. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Marcallo
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by Marcallo » Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:31 am

Just be warned you may not be able to download any of it. It took my computer the better part of a full day to download the witcher. Steams servers are nailed. I'm gonna impulse buy FO3 GOTY as well I think. Though I did just get a 300 dollar insurance increase per 6 months due to my wifes accident earlier this year. :( Fucking New Jersey.
Dog carcass in alley this morning, tire tread on burst stomach. This city is afraid of me. I have seen it's true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"...

PopnFresh
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Whatever Damon is, plus one.

Post by PopnFresh » Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:39 am

Marcallo wrote:I'm gonna impulse buy FO3 GOTY as well I think. Though I did just get a 300 dollar insurance increase per 6 months due to my wifes accident earlier this year. :( Fucking New Jersey.
This is the opposite of impulse buying
Poppin' up fresh, every time!
"Classic Wedge"

Marcallo
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by Marcallo » Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:42 pm

True, the Witcher was an impulse buy. And after 2 hours, I'm sorry I did. Sub-par graphics aside the game SEEMS to have a reasonable story, but the combat is more than mildly bland/boring. I'll give it another shot of course, but first impression is sucktacular.

Tamayo
Captain
Captain

Post by Tamayo » Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:28 pm

The Witcher is supposed to have an incredible story, but I have yet to play it.

I think Valve needs to buy the name "Impulse" from Stardock (which is the name of their digital DL service), and use that instead of Steam. :rofl:
"Critics who treat adult as a term of approval cannot be adult themselves. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Sord
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: The Trev

Post by Sord » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:37 am

Man, wish I saw this a bit sooner. Lasts til the 3rd. Batman Arkham Asylum down to 34 bucks. Anyone play it on the PC?

Lots of games I'd never really buy otherwise but between $2-6, I'm getting a bit interested.
Bye space sword!

Tamayo
Captain
Captain

Post by Tamayo » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:31 pm

I played the PC demo, it sucks with mouse+KB, but I'm sure it's fine with a controller. That Eidos bundle is tempting, even though most of the games I don't really care about. I think I'm just gonna buy Thief 3 and Deus Ex by themselves though, but the Hitman Trilogy would have been nice too.

I dunno how much I've spent on steam this past week, but I've gotten some fantastic deals. Red Faction Guerrilla (a $40 game for $10), and tons of other smaller things for sub-10. Jade Empire and Indigo Prophecy both for $3.75. I love steam, but I hate it also :D

Tamayo
Captain
Captain

Post by Tamayo » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:34 pm

Also, a word of caution for those planning on buying anything on steam this week. I'd recommend waiting till jan 3rd before you buy anything, because for me a bunch of games I planned on buying through the normal sale came up on the daily super sale, and you can end up saving even more. Almost bought Red Faction for $19.99, and then it showed up the next day for $9.99.

Marcallo
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by Marcallo » Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:20 pm

I recently plugged an Xbox controller into my PC. One of the wired USB ones. It's a lot lighter than a regular controller and never needs batteries and works just fine. And it's a nice backup for my xbox if I ever need it. Works better than anything logitech puts out for sure.

PopnFresh
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by PopnFresh » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:08 am

Josh, Batman plays just fine on a PC. As with almost any game ever except maybe Deus Ex 2, the controls are just as good if not easier overall on the PC. batman has some ecclectic button combinations to use at times, all of which are second nature once you get used to them, and if you get it on PC now or console later, the length of time to learn the controls is going to be about the same. I'm only saying so much about it because I played through a sizeable chunk of the game (35% or so) on PC before Kel got it on console, at which point I started over and had to adjust to what seemed like terrible controls compared to the PC version (though once I got used to them, as I said: second nature).

Also of note is camera speed. On the console version, you can't alter it at all, which damons (my new synonym for 'sucks'). On the PC, I don't recall if they let you up the mouse sensitivity or if it just pans significantly faster by default, but regardless, it is quicker. Hardly impactful for the majority of the game, but it's pretty huge if you try to seriously get into the extreme challenge modes. Console versions are gimped in that regard, as I've had more than one challenge ruined by a bad camera angle that I couldn't possibly pan around fast enough (e.g., dude with a gun behind the camera, can't knowingly target him until you get the camera panned)

EDIT: And tam is spot on about checking all daily deals before splurging on steam on the 3rd. I'm sure thousands of people that paid $10 for Torchlight before it was a daily deal would agree. That is, if any of them are still alive after slitting their wrists because of the comparatively exorbent amount of money they spent on it.
"Classic Wedge"

Marcallo
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by Marcallo » Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:28 am

Even my genetic predisposition to saving money didn't seem to mind that I paid double for torchlight. Now if I had gotten it for 20 and it dropped to 5 I might be a bit peeved.

Regardless, Derek, I am not inclined to acquiesce to your position on controllers. Some games just play better with them. Jade Empire was annoying with Mouse and Keyboard for me. Plugged in the 360 controller. BAM not so annoying. Try playing Overlord with the mouse and keyboard, it's THE suck. I even like the controller for fallout, but prefer the M&K for aiming and such. having both handy is the best move these days with so many games being designed for consoles but looking better on the PC or having more stuff on the PC. Though that's rare these days as well.

The opposite holds true. I would HATE to play Mass Effect or Dragons Age on a controller. And I am only just SLIGHTLY used to it on Modern Warfare 2. BUT to my initial point, assassins creed would be ZERO fun with a mouse and keyboard.

Sord
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: The Trev

Post by Sord » Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:38 am

Awesome then. I can agree some games are meant for controllers and some are meant for mouse/keyboard but I think the point holds true. Regardless of how shitty or unnatural it seems at first, you get used to them. As long as its not frustratingly shitty for either, I think you're good. I keep wanting to go into box stores and saying hey, I can download this for 34 bucks, want to sell me the disc for 34? Doubt they would :D

I also just picked up Torchlight. I was like woo, only 10 bucks! Then Damon has to rain on my parade and say it was 5 a day or two ago. For everything bad in life, I blame Damon. For real though, its worth the 10.
Bye space sword!

Marcallo
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by Marcallo » Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:34 am

The real question is on their website it says they are working on a Torchlight based MMO... I ask.. WHY? I say take all the success of torchlight and make a bigger badder version with nicer cutscenes and stuff to sell at retail and call it Torchlight: Step 3... PROFIT

OH and thank god nothing I've wanted on steam for 2 days now. I was getting ready to just wire them my bank info.

Tamayo
Captain
Captain

Post by Tamayo » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:16 pm

It's not a pay MMO. It'll be free to play with Microtransactions like the Korean ones.

PopnFresh
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by PopnFresh » Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:58 pm

I was exaggerating about Deus Ex 2 being the only game that was almost unplayable on PC due to controls. What Sord said is what I was going for, but russ, your post totally highlighted what I meant. Why would AC be zero fun with mouse and keyboard? You only say that because it sounds alien to you because you're used to it on a console. If you first experienced it with m&k and played it mostly with m&k, then the m&k controls would feel natural to you. And they probably would've taken as long to learn as the console version did (not now of course, since you're used to the way it plays with a pad). Jade Empire falls under the Deus Ex 2 category in the PC version being a complete afterthought. That's definitely a qualifier; if the PC version is a rushed/uncared for port, then the controls probably won't be very good (V for melee in Borderlands? Fuck you). But that's not as common as it seems, most PC releases are still cared for, even if the consoles will always outsell them.

EDIT: And have they said for sure the Torchlight MMO will be f2p? That would be my assumption too, but I don't think they have actually said one way or another. And these days, you can't even trust what devs say until they back it up anyway (I'm looking at you, Har"we will never make a Rock Band sequel; the game will live on in tons of DLC"monix and Arena"no expansions or upgrades to Guild Wars; we're going to release minor content packs at microtransaction prices on a consistent basis"Net).
"Classic Wedge"

Tamayo
Captain
Captain

Post by Tamayo » Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:38 pm

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/torch ... -two-years

take that for what you will, but for now they're saying it's free

Marcallo
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by Marcallo » Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:46 pm

When I bought Assassins Creed I didn't own an Xbox so I had to get it on PC. I fiddled with the controls using the mouse and keyboard and was... unhappy with them. I don't remember why. I then plugged in a logitech Rumbepad 2 and had NO problems playing the game. Be it designer choice or not I still stand by the fact that some games are better with a Mouse and Keyboard and others are better with a controller. I stand by having both available.

ALSO, since we're in the steam topic. Mass Effect is 5 dollars. Now NOBODY has an excuse not to experience it. I only hope ME2 goes up on Steam, otherwise I have to /gasp go to a store and buy it.

PopnFresh
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by PopnFresh » Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:17 am

Marcallo wrote:Be it designer choice or not I still stand by the fact that some games are better with a Mouse and Keyboard and others are better with a controller. I stand by having both available.
That's a lot of standing.

Nobody disputed about having both available. But you are bouncing back and forth between "I prefer some games with a particular control medium" and "some games suck with specific control mediums, and that's an undisputable fact with those games." The latter isn't wrong, but is much rarer than you say, and most of your examples thus far are your personal opinion being thrust into that latter category. That's where my dispute is. You had trouble learning AC on a PC and prefer it with a pad, I get it, that's a fine personal preference; plenty of people out there prefer it on the PC and prefer the PC's control scheme, much like Batman, much like Fallout 3, much like most games out there that aren't ridiculously rushed ports.

Nobody is denying that you, personally, have opinions. Just stop inconsistently jumping from "this is my opinion" and "this is a fact about this product" and I won't be giving you shit on this topic.
"Classic Wedge"

Marcallo
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by Marcallo » Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:50 am

I had a similar discussion with some people over at HighDefForum and they mostly agreed with me... why can't you people be more like that. LOL And you're right, I want to push my opinion as being the correct one, but I know it comes down to preference. The preference to me just seems so obvious in some cases. Also if you wrote like 2 more paragraphs I'd start to think you didn't really care about the subject. :D Hmm few more hours till we see Steams final sales, hope there's something good.