Win 7 for half price! Legit too!

Found a good deal on the interwebs and want to share? Post it here!
Feaduin
Brew Master
Brew Master
Cash on hand: Locked
Custom Rank: Billions and billions eaten.

Win 7 for half price! Legit too!

Post by Feaduin » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:31 am

It looks like they will be giving half off to preorders of Windows 7 for two weeks starting tomorrow.

Link

The Windows 7 price list for those who don't want to click:

-Home Premium - $199; upgrade from Vista/XP - $119

-Professional - $299; upgrade -$199

-Ultimate - $319; upgrade - $219

Hmm at half price the most expensive option for someone who already has Vista, the Win7 Ultimate upgrade option, at 50% off = $110 (for two weeks). If that is the MOST expensive one, then the rest isn't too bad. I think i'm gonna pull the trigger for this one at 50% off!

Feaduin
Brew Master
Brew Master

Re: Win 7 for half price! Legit too!

Post by Feaduin » Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:21 am

Aww lame... Friday rolls around and I check out the deal.... its only for Windows Home Premium and Professional. NOT for any other version. It's still on the cheap (for a MS OS that is) side though at 49 and 99. I was hoping to snag an ultimate copy on the cheap :(

Lightfeather
Site Admin
Site Admin
Bank: Locked
Custom Rank: Your Admin
Games: Okami

Post by Lightfeather » Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:56 am

It's also only for the upgrade not the full version. I never jumped on the vista bandwagon and stuck with XP64 so they suggest I don't upgrade but instead get a full package.
ImageImage

Feaduin
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by Feaduin » Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:34 am

It says on Microsoft's page that it will upgrade xp too except that you have to do a full reinstall instead of a upgrade half install. I had vista on the main drive of this laptop and the transition to 7 was pretty fast and smooth. Transition from Beta to RC was also fast and smooth. I didn't try to install the beta on the xp drive though so that I could still boot into something I liked if things went wrong with the test. :P

Oh yeah, each package comes with both the 32 and 64 bit versions.

Marcallo
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Grand Wizard

Post by Marcallo » Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:57 am

I'm due for a new motherboard/processor/ram setup so I think I'm gonna look to pickup a full version of Windows 7 when it releases, this is a good deal though. But I hate upgrade versions I like doing a fresh clean hard drive install. If my bonus is good this year maybe I'll get a velociraptor drive to install it all on. :D
Dog carcass in alley this morning, tire tread on burst stomach. This city is afraid of me. I have seen it's true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"...

...and I'll look down, and whisper "no."

Tamayo
Captain
Captain

Post by Tamayo » Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:36 pm

I have a question about this stuff... does the upgrade from vista actually work well? I always thought buying the upgrade versions of OSs wasn't a good thing, but I've also never tried it myself. What are the negatives to doing it that way?
"Critics who treat adult as a term of approval cannot be adult themselves. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Feaduin
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by Feaduin » Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:30 am

Well on the MS site itself, it says that you can buy the upgrade version even if you have XP BUT you have to do a full install.

From that, I gather that the "upgrade" actually has the FULL software on it. Elsewhere I read that when you buy ANY version of the software, it has the entire thing up to Ultimate already on it.... you just pay to activate the level you want.

This is exactly what I picked when I did the test.

Original: dual boot laptop setup - Vista Ultimate drive 1; XP Pro SP3 drive 2
Downloaded Win7 Beta and burned it out onto a regular DVD (it was around 2 gigs)
I swapped out my XP drive for a dvd drive and used the burned disc to boot up and install Win 7 (and tucked the XP drive away just in case hehe)
I chose the full install and I really expected it to reformat the drive and wipe everything out. But it was much less painless. It just renamed the old Vista Windows folder to Windows.000 and made a totally new Windows folder with 7 in it. When I got the Release Candidate, it was the same deal. My test drive now has windows.000 and Windows.001 on it now. All the rest of the folders were left alone except for Program Files. I think they do some internal changes with that folder but I didn't see it because I wasn't paying particular ttention to it. I do know now that you should never use the same Program Folders folder to host 2 different versions of Windows or bad stuff happens.

As far as just using the Upgrade option, I didn't try that but I know they always leave a lot of junk behind from the previous. BUT REMEMBER, you can only use the Upgrade option from a VISTA install, not XP. Also remember that 7 is based on the same Vista kernel. It's like Vista that actually works and works well. So for Vista users, upgrading is sorta like applying a really big patch.

Kyecsrai
Quartermaster
Quartermaster
Custom Rank: Hooters gonna hoot.
Games: Your mom.

Post by Kyecsrai » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:31 am

Schweet. I'll grab the Home Premium upgrade for my laptop, but like Marcallo I'm about due to build a new desktop PC so that one can wait.
Better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you are not.

Lightfeather
Site Admin
Site Admin
Bank: Locked
Custom Rank: Your Admin
Games: Okami

Post by Lightfeather » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:26 pm

It's been a long time since I actually dealt with legit OS's but when you buy one, how many computers can you put it on? I recall something about up to three personal computers? Or is that archaic and now you have to buy one upgrade per machine?
ImageImage

Marcallo
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by Marcallo » Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:11 pm

Lightfeather wrote:It's been a long time since I actually dealt with legit OS's but when you buy one, how many computers can you put it on? I recall something about up to three personal computers? Or is that archaic and now you have to buy one upgrade per machine?

One per machine unless you buy a 3-pack oem code.
Dog carcass in alley this morning, tire tread on burst stomach. This city is afraid of me. I have seen it's true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"...

Feaduin
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by Feaduin » Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:13 pm

Yeah 1 per... just remember that the Upgrade version requires that you have a legit key for a previous OS. I didn't think about that since I'm only using my laptop now and it came with Vista/XP downgrade. But I do have a desktop that I built so obviously that didn't come with an OS. For that old POS, if I wanted to upgrade that, I think the proper upgrade path would be to simply buy the full version, OR wait for Vista discount to come along to take advantage of the free upgrade deal.

This alternate deal is that from NOW until Oct 22, if you purchase Vista in any form, you will be entitled to the same level of Win7 for free when it releases. This deal also applies if you purchase a new PC with Vista on it(at least Home Premium level i think), you can upgrade to 7 free... BUT only from certain manufacturers who choose to participate in the free upgrade program (check MS's site for the manufacturers).

http://www.techspot.com/news/35222-micr ... grams.html

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/buy/of ... grade.aspx

Tamayo
Captain
Captain

Post by Tamayo » Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:16 pm

I'm just pissed at how they're giving up on Vista and you're screwed if you got it a few years back. From what it seems like, this shoulda just been a massive service pack for Vista, because this is what it should have been from the beginning.
"Critics who treat adult as a term of approval cannot be adult themselves. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Marcallo
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by Marcallo » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:25 pm

Tamayo wrote:I'm just pissed at how they're giving up on Vista and you're screwed if you got it a few years back. From what it seems like, this shoulda just been a massive service pack for Vista, because this is what it should have been from the beginning.

Agreed, so here are your choices. Live with it. Get a mac. Start using Linux. Stop using computers.

Microsoft is pretty much in a go fuck yourself position here as noone is ready to take them head on in the Operating System market. It's essentially an expansion pack for Windows Vista. You're right, but it doesn't really matter.

Feaduin
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by Feaduin » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:41 pm

Vista was insufferably annoying and it was simply broken. Nothing on it worked as advertised. The sidebar was fucking annoying and took up 20% of the screen with widgets that were annoyingly in your face. They should have concentrated on getting it to work but since no one actually bought it if they had a choice, everyone moved on. 7 isn't just a fix though as my testing has shown me. It looks like vista because of aero but it doesn't feel like Vista. Vista evoked sadpanda while 7 is injecting cake intravenously. 7 just works and I think that so far it is the best OS they have made to date and this includes surpassing XP which I hold in high regard.