Looking for an SSD?

Found a good deal on the interwebs and want to share? Post it here!
Feaduin
Brewmaster
Brewmaster
Cash on hand: Locked
Custom Rank: Billions and billions eaten.

Looking for an SSD?

Post by Feaduin » Wed May 16, 2012 11:44 pm

I saw this on Slickdeals and finally found a deal for an SSD that I can live with.

http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/74134/n ... 2ct180a3k5

It is an intel SSD so that's very good... it uses the Sandforce controller which is not as good as I heard some bad things about SandForce in OCZ drives. On the other hand, I also heard that these issues have been fixed.

If you buy it on amazon and choose Amazon as the seller, then it's 199 with no tax AND $60 rebate back. Effectively, it's $139 which is awesome for a 180 gig. One forum poster suggested that if you don't like the rebate Visa debit cards, just use it to buy an amazon gift card! I dunno if that's possible because I haven't tried it myself. I could probably drain the entire card on 1 tank of gas negating the need to convert it to Amazon-bucks.

Feaduin
Brewmaster
Brewmaster

Re: Looking for an SSD?

Post by Feaduin » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:05 pm

Following up on this thread, I made this purchase back when I posted the link.

Great deal for an SSD so I couldn't pass it up. It just took me a while to finally work up the nerve to transfer Win7 onto the SSD. Of course, I could have just installed Win7 completely fresh (in fact I started out doing this) but then I realized that I'm just really really lazy and didn't want to install everything all over again (I have a LOT of programs installed for work (cad stuff), system optimization stuff (Lenovo stuff), and play). I followed this guide from lifehacker to migrate windows over to the new drive. Migration turns out to be more of a pain in the ass than a fresh install :P. But, so far so good. So the question is, was it worth it?

After a few reboots, I've noticed some speed increases. Not a lot. Nothing like a 10 second boot or anything. I have to shut off the fingerprint logon software in order to see any signs of a quicker boot (naturally). Everything that is installed on the SSD is definitely faster. After a few more reboots, the Rapidboot software should (?) learn and increase the boot speed. Lenovo doesn't show you how to optimally configure everything to match their "Enhanced Experience 2.0" speed which really sucks. Will report back in a while and update this thread if I notice any further speed increases or if I notice the drive start to bog down like all Windows systems eventually do.

Feaduin
Brewmaster
Brewmaster

Post by Feaduin » Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:13 am

Follow up... DONT follow that article. It's about 98% correct but there are little omissions here and there that they didn't warn about which ended up causing BSODs.

I need my system running for work so I will have to wait a few days before I try again. I suppose it isn't that big of a deal to reinstall everything if I just did a clean install. It's just a PITA. I already ported my current setup one other time from my old laptop so I'm sure my system has accumulated many errors.

Marcallo
Exalted Brewmaster
Exalted Brewmaster
Custom Rank: Grand Wizard

Post by Marcallo » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:23 am

I have an older Agility 2 and my boot speed is like 14 seconds. That's from the time I hit the button to the time I can enter my password to start windows. Make sure you have TRIM support turned on as well all drives and bios support it these days but not all turn it on automatically. Just do a googles search. CAD should speed up SIGNIFICANTLY on the SSD. When it starts pulling assets from all over the drive that should be near instantaneous. I use my SSD at work with photoshop and it really does improve speed. Photoshop on my laptop takes like 2 minutes to launch and several seconds to change the lighting in a picture. On my SSD computer it takes 10 seconds to launch and does lighting applies instantaneously. That may also be helped by the A8 processor though I dunno.
Dog carcass in alley this morning, tire tread on burst stomach. This city is afraid of me. I have seen it's true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"...

...and I'll look down, and whisper "no."

Feaduin
Brewmaster
Brewmaster

Post by Feaduin » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:25 pm

Yeah all the optimizations are already on. That's not the problem. It was just that the guide didn't warn about moving certain folders that would fuck the system up. It just tells you to move all of it when you only need to move some. I'm not on a desktop with a fresh Winstall so I am not expecting a blistering boot speed. I know it is possible a sub-10 boot, but I doubt I could maintain that with all the shit I have to pile on. It's definitely not going to happen with a double-migration profile. I'm just gonna have to suck it up and start over.