Steam Summer Sale

Found a good deal on the interwebs and want to share? Post it here!
Marcallo
Exalted Brewmaster
Exalted Brewmaster
Cash on hand: Locked
Custom Rank: Grand Wizard

Steam Summer Sale

Post by Marcallo » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:59 pm

I LOVE SteamPowered.com sales. They are the #1 way I get to play around with games I passed on at full retail price. Today's deal that I'm pondering is Borderlands GOTY edition since I never played the DLC. But you should ALL check out The Witcher 2 at 33% off. It's phenomenal and those creators deserve every nickel they get.
Dog carcass in alley this morning, tire tread on burst stomach. This city is afraid of me. I have seen it's true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"...

...and I'll look down, and whisper "no."

PopnFresh
Exalted Brewmaster
Exalted Brewmaster
Custom Rank: Whatever Damon is, plus one.

Re: Steam Summer Sale

Post by PopnFresh » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:27 pm

Marcallo wrote:I LOVE SteamPowered.com sales. They are the #1 way I get to play around with games I passed on at full retail price. Today's deal that I'm pondering is Borderlands GOTY edition since I never played the DLC. But you should ALL check out The Witcher 2 at 33% off. It's phenomenal and those creators deserve every nickel they get.
Loving it.

It's also worth noting that alongside the Steam summer sale, there's also a sort of contest/raffle going on. Each day there will be a variety of new challenges associated with games on sale. These challenges are just basically achievements, and it's very similar to the potato collecting Valve did to unlock Portal 2 early. Basically, each challenge you complete will get you a raffle ticket. Every three tickets you get, you can "buy" a cosmetic/DLC add on for a game from a selection they have, such as unique armor for Dawn of War, or maps for Homeland. Additionally, every ticket enters you into a contest in which you have a chance to win "the top ten" games that are on your Steam wish list, and there will be 100 winners total.

One of the challenges is as simple as "join the steam summercamp group" which you can do by clicking here http://steamcommunity.com/games/summercamp.

The other thing I love about Steam sales like this is beyond just sales on big/recent games like Witcher 2, is they coerce me into checking out a lot more smaller/independent games as well. I love supporting indie devs, but I sincerely do have issues buying something like Peggle for $10 or Frozen Synapse for $25...but I'll gladly pay <$5 for the former and <$10 for the latter, and Steam gives me that option. I know the price difference at that level is minor, but I'm also not going to argue with the success they've had over me with it. The Potato Sack from a couple months ago had a variety of games in it that I never would've looked at if not for getting them through a ridiculous bundle at a ridiculous price.

Speaking of which, Telltale's entire library for $50 = sweet if you dig old adventure games.
Poppin' up fresh, every time!
"Classic Wedge"

Evenflow
Drunken Pirate
Drunken Pirate
Custom Rank: More than just pumpkin bombs

Post by Evenflow » Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:46 pm

They've had some pretty good deals to this point. So far I've gotten Borderlands GOTY, Star Wars Battlefront II, both Bioshock games and Dragon Age: Origins Ultimate Edition. Hoping there is a Mass Effect 2 deal down the line.
Avengers Assembling May 2012 - Felicia Day is ugly - December 20th is the day Darth Evenmaul is born.

Tamayo
Captain
Captain

Post by Tamayo » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:13 pm

It's kinda sad, I pretty much bought everything worth having the last few xmas sales.. nothing left for me to grab!
"Critics who treat adult as a term of approval cannot be adult themselves. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis