Playing again...

Munki talks about this too much. Here is an outlet for his enthusiasm.
Lightfeather
Your Admin
Your Admin
Cash on hand: Locked
Bank: Locked
Custom Rank: Petrichor
Games: Guild Wars 2

Playing again...

Post by Lightfeather » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:08 am

I forgot how complicated this game is! Zomg... but I'm having fun. =)
ImageImage

Marcallo
Exalted Brewmaster
Exalted Brewmaster
Custom Rank: Grand Wizard

Post by Marcallo » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:55 am

Eh, just go on the forums and look up the PRIME build for whatever character you are using. It's going to be 7 or 8 moves with 1 being an elite. I had a dervish and out of the 100 or so moves there were, I made a build I saw on the forums and it was like clearly ideal.
Dog carcass in alley this morning, tire tread on burst stomach. This city is afraid of me. I have seen it's true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"...

...and I'll look down, and whisper "no."

Lightfeather
Your Admin
Your Admin
Bank: Locked
Custom Rank: Petrichor
Games: Guild Wars 2

Post by Lightfeather » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:41 pm

That's true, but then you need to do it for all your heroes and there are so many skills out there and omg what heroes should you use and and and zomg! I'm a collector so I'm, of course, going to try and get all the skills. Grog's guild hall has everything in it already, even the festival hat keeper who can't make any hats because I haven't been around to collect any. Boo.
ImageImage

Munki
Custom Rank: Alouette, gentille Alouette
Games: Diablo III, GW2, Monster Hunter
Guild: Grog, TOG

Post by Munki » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:51 pm

IT really ends up being a little more complex than Russ gives it credit for, but yea, in the end all I do is research the 'top builds' on the PvX Wiki for all my guys.

Some even give suggestions on what kind of teams it excels with and stuff, but not all.

Considering the fact that you'll be playing with my Paragon team eventually (when we finally get through all the campaigns and are doing the hard dungeons) I'll try and find a good team for you to use, as well as your build.

But in general, it can be really daunting to make a build yourself, considering the amount of class combinations and skills you can have.
Space for Rent

Marcallo
Exalted Brewmaster
Exalted Brewmaster
Custom Rank: Grand Wizard

Post by Marcallo » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:06 pm

Munki wrote:IT really ends up being a little more complex than Russ gives it credit for, but yea, in the end all I do is research the 'top builds' on the PvX Wiki for all my guys.

Some even give suggestions on what kind of teams it excels with and stuff, but not all.

Considering the fact that you'll be playing with my Paragon team eventually (when we finally get through all the campaigns and are doing the hard dungeons) I'll try and find a good team for you to use, as well as your build.

But in general, it can be really daunting to make a build yourself, considering the amount of class combinations and skills you can have.

I didn't say it was simple, I just basically said others already have done all the work. If you want to sit there with a calculater be my guest, but Guild Wars is one of those games where content is basically stagnant and there really is a BEST 8 skills in 90% of all situations. At least that's what I saw, people would be very quick to tell you if your build was suboptimal way more than say WOW where there are a lot more options for building.
Dog carcass in alley this morning, tire tread on burst stomach. This city is afraid of me. I have seen it's true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"...

...and I'll look down, and whisper "no."

Munki
Custom Rank: Alouette, gentille Alouette
Games: Diablo III, GW2, Monster Hunter
Guild: Grog, TOG

Post by Munki » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:19 pm

Well, I wouldn't go so far as to say there are 8 top skills for each class.

Some classes are like that, but really it depends on your situation.

For example, for a Paragon, there is generally only one really good build (and even that is only good when paired up in the right team, but when you do that, it's almost considered Imbalanced it's so good).

But for a Necro, there are a very large number of good builds, depending on what you want to do. I run a Spiteful Spirit build on my main, which is armor ignoring AoE combined with some good party defenses and awesome Necro energy managment. But there are also Blood Is Power Necros (which is about feeding energy to others on your team, usually the healer), Minion Master Necros (which are kind of like meatshields in a way, and also fun to play IMO), Necro / Ritualist healers, etc etc.

Other classes that have a HUGE amount of viable builds are Monks, Warriors (to a lesser degree, but still quite a few), Mesmer (although this is mostly a PvP class), and I'd say Ritualist makes it up there.

Some classes only have a few viable options though... besides Paragon, Elementalists have limited options, Assassins probably have the worst (in PvE at least), Dervish don't have a lot of options, Rangers only have a few.

Not to mention Arena.net still balances the game. Some of the builds that were power builds the last time I played are now 'archived' for being nerfed and replaced by better builds.

HOWEVER. In general I agree with you, but I'd say it's the same as WoW to be honest. In WoW there really aren't that many builds that are considered 'good' although you can get away with a sub optimal build a little more because gear matters more than it does in GW (a LOT more).

HOwever, here is an amazing resource for anyone that is ever interested in the game. It makes finding a build actually not a huge headache.

http://www.pvxwiki.com/wiki/Main

/edit/ Just wanted to say, in the end it's not a big deal. Nobody really cares about this game overall, and seems silly to dispute such a minor point. So I'm pulling a derek and saying that "I don't really care that much" to follow up my novel.
Space for Rent