I'd like to sign up for your newsletter...

Munki talks about this too much. Here is an outlet for his enthusiasm.
Lightfeather
Site Admin
Site Admin
Cash on hand: Locked
Bank: Locked
Custom Rank: Your Admin
Games: Okami

I'd like to sign up for your newsletter...

Post by Lightfeather » Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:19 pm

I'm really interested in this game.

I've been watching Damon play when he gets a moment and, not only does it look pretty (and interesting) the lack of a monthly fee is oh so much frosting.

I mentioned interest to Damon about wanting "a game" to be into as I feel a little not like myself being gameless, gamefree or lacking in gamey-ness. Even if I only play it once every other weekend for a couple of hours, I'd still like to get into something.

The big win for me is the lack of monthly fee. Since I probably won't get to play as often as 'd like to, knowing 'm paying a monthly service for a game I may or may not get to that months is like a needle in the eye. My frugality won't let it happen.

However, the number of expansions (campaigns) is daunting. 'd like to start playing but I don't know how! I suggested to damon that 'd like to start at the beginning, meaning buying the first box that was released to the public and working my way through that. He told me it doesn't matter how you start. That each box is a stand alone, and you don't need one to play the others.

I don't understand. Doesn't it have some sort of continuity? Like how when WoW came out with an expansion it opened up more for the game, gave you a new area and the ability to get to level 70. Does it not work that way with guild wars?

Instead of being perplexed and just asking a bunch of questions here, I should really just look up a wiki about the game.

Damon's suggestion was to get nightfall first (isn't that expansion number three?) because he's working on that campaign now. I thought about it but 1.) we'll rarely get a chance to play at the same time and 2.) he's already deep into it.

Why is starting with the first guild wars release and working my way through the rest of them in order of appearance a bad thing?
ImageImage

Munki
Custom Rank: Alouette, gentille Alouette

Post by Munki » Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:46 pm

It's not necissarily a bad thing.

One of the better things about starting with Nightfall is:

You get Heroes. That's the only campaign that you get them. Heroes are NPC guys you don't control... but you can collect weapons to give them, set their stats, and decide what skills they use. It allows you to tailor your team around any special skills you use and stuff. This is a huge advantage over the 'stock' henchmen NPC's who are just "You get what you see".

So there is that.

As for the actual storylines... they are seperate. Each game is not actually an expansion but a stand alone product. You could buy Nightfall, and nothing else, and have a full game. You can choose to buy the other standalone games, and link them all in to the same account though... this allows you to move your characters freely between the continents, and do all 3 of the stories. So in reality, it doesn't really matter which box you start with, as they are fully and completely seperate from each other. Imagine a world going to shit, and these are the stories that happen in these different areas. That's how it is.

omg gotta run off to a meeting.

<3 u!
Space for Rent

Jae
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by Jae » Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:26 am

Nightfall is my favorite of the three campaigns. The plot just feels more epic and the missions are by far the most fun. Heroes are a huge plus, but this also discourages the good players from PUGing, so that's the downfall. That leaves you with the crap players that complain and can't finish missions even with heroes. Don't expect to group much in Nightfall unless you know people.

Prophecies is my close second favorite, since I just like the story and setting. The problem with Prophecies is that it isn't as polished as Nightfall and the mission objectives aren't always clear. It gets annoying not even knowing where to get a bonus objective without having to look at a wiki page or something. Plus there are some later things that your character must do to advance in the story that are tedious. Ascension and attribute point quests come to mind here.

Factions wasn't as bad as most make it out to be. I personally liked it, but the delivery felt a bit rushed. This campaign has some annoying things to it like pvp being necessary to advance to certain areas (bots can easily infiltrate your side and sabatoge you), 16-man missions that require cooperation from the other faction (more chance for retardedness) and really annoying multi-tiered maps. Plus since everyone likes to hate Factions, it's typically dead compared to the other two campaigns. The plus side is that Factions has some of the best skills in the game. I also felt the end was pretty rewarding as far as MMOs go.

As for you Nicole, I'd say just play Damon's account while he's away. Just let him whine and call you when he wants to play during his "breaks".

Phat.Stack
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Master of the Psychic Dragon Punch

Post by Phat.Stack » Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:35 am

One of the problems with jumping right to Nightfall is that you normally have to buy your skills. There are very few which are unlocked via missions.

That's the best part about picking up the Prophecies campaign first. It has a more "tutorial" feeling to it, plus you unlock a TON of skills via missions allowing you to build up money for when/if you go into the other campaigns.

Yes, heroes are awesome. They really do help a lot. However, I made it through the Prophecies campaign up to the area where you would be able to unlock heroes (lion's gate) using just henchmen.

So, my advice is to pick up the Game of the Year Prophecies campaign (you get bonus stuff for getting the GotY version). If you are still loving GW by the time you make it to the area where you could unlock heroes, then consider picking up Nightfall. However, going with nightfall first could have you struggling to get skills because you are constantly out of money.

Lightfeather
Site Admin
Site Admin
Bank: Locked
Custom Rank: Your Admin
Games: Okami

Post by Lightfeather » Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:34 pm

I think I've decided to play it from the beginning. If the game is diabloesque, as I've heard it called, then starting with the tutorialtype game first is win for me. One of the biggest deterrents for me when I get into a new game is how steep the learning curve is.

If I have to struggle with it for days before finally getting into a grove then it'll more than likely just end up never getting played. I want to play with the least amount of options and things in the beginning. I want to get used to regular shit before I jump into the "expansion" stuff so I have that much more to contend with.

I want to begin at the begining.
ImageImage

Munki
Custom Rank: Alouette, gentille Alouette

Post by Munki » Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:35 pm

No wife of mine plays prophecies! Turn in your badge!

<3 pl0z I'm still ur willing slave!
Space for Rent

Syn
Midshipman
Midshipman
Custom Rank: Piw Piw Masta

Post by Syn » Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:05 pm

Yeah what everyone says. You'll have fun w/proph. I dont know if Jae or anyone has posted this yet. But here's a good site to figure out what kinda builds you want for your toon.

http://gw.gamependium.com/

Here's another good site for items/quests/skills.

http://gw.gamewikis.org/wiki/Main_Page

Oh yeah. Heroes are MUCH better than henchies. It'll open up a whole new can of whoop ass for ya.
anata mo watashi mo Pocky!