The /gasp Assassin PvE build

Munki talks about this too much. Here is an outlet for his enthusiasm.
Phat.Stack
Brew Master
Brew Master
Cash on hand: Locked
Custom Rank: Master of the Psychic Dragon Punch

The /gasp Assassin PvE build

Post by Phat.Stack » Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:16 pm

Yes, I know... Assassins in PvE have the same stigma surrounding them as Retribution Paladins have in WoW's PvE and PvP.

HOWEVER!

Being a glutton for punishment (and having a Ret Paladin in my PvP guild in WoW), I decided that I like the silly little class that has you darting in and out of combat like a crazed chimp.

So, without further ado, I present my 'Sin build:

Fevered Assassin Dreams:

Skills:

Black Mantis Thrust
Black Lotus Strike
Jungle Strike
Twisting Fangs
Fevered Dreams (Elite)
Dark Prison
Dash
Feigned Neutrality

Stats:

Critical Strikes - 10+3 (13)
Dagger Mastery - 11 + 1 + 1 (13)
Deadly Arts - 8 + 1 (9)
Shadow Arts - 6 + 1 (7)
Illusion Magic - 2

Concept:

With Fevered Dreams, an assassin can place all kinds of status effects on every mob in the area. Cripple can keep mobs clustered for people to more efficiently rain down AoE while Deep Wounds and Bleed can help finish them off faster. In addition, this build can throw out some decent single target damage on a problematic mob like a healer.

The 'sin would stay at range and cast Fevered Dreams as melee heroes and minions run into combat. After casting, I would use Dash to close to melee and immediately throw Black Mantis (Cripple) -> Black Lotus (energy regain) -> Twisting Fangs (Bleed + Deep Wounds). That combo takes only a second or two to apply (with Cripple being almost immediate) and now you have every mob with all three status effects.

The problem that most people have with 'sins, I feel, is that too many retards played them when Factions came out. Every single one (including me) rushed in and thought PEWPEWPEWIKILLUIRNINJA! This build is much more group friendly and can add lots of status effects to make encounters much easier. In addition, between Dash, Dark Prison and Feigned Neutrality, I have quite of bit of defensive options and can normally get myself out of combat to stop from getting focused on and killed.

When soloing, I would take out Black Mantis Thrust and Jungle Strike and sub in Black Spider Strike (poison) and Wild Strike (ends stances and DD) since cripple doesn't really help me much.

Played this build last night... and even though I don't have Fevered Dreams or decent equipment (Im still at 40 armor), I had a very high rate of survivability and was able to help bring down problematic mobs. Energy usage was very stable with crit strikes and Black Lotus Strike.

For anyone who wants to look at this build closer I would, of course, direct you to the guildwars wiki page. I can list durations of debuffs and further explanations if someone brings up a question or comment.

Sord
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: The Trev

Re: The /gasp Assassin PvE build

Post by Sord » Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:15 am

Phat.Stack wrote:Yes, I know... Assassins in PvE have the same stigma surrounding them as Retribution Paladins have in WoW's PvE and PvP.

HOWEVER!

Being a glutton for punishment (and having a Ret Paladin in my PvP guild in WoW), I decided that I like the silly little class that has you darting in and out of combat like a crazed chimp.

So, without further ado, I present my 'Sin build:

Fevered Assassin Dreams:

Skills:

Black Mantis Thrust
Black Lotus Strike
Jungle Strike
Twisting Fangs
Fevered Dreams (Elite)
Dark Prison
Dash
Feigned Neutrality

Stats:

Critical Strikes - 10+3 (13)
Dagger Mastery - 11 + 1 + 1 (13)
Deadly Arts - 8 + 1 (9)
Shadow Arts - 6 + 1 (7)
Illusion Magic - 2

Concept:

With Fevered Dreams, an assassin can place all kinds of status effects on every mob in the area. Cripple can keep mobs clustered for people to more efficiently rain down AoE while Deep Wounds and Bleed can help finish them off faster. In addition, this build can throw out some decent single target damage on a problematic mob like a healer.

The 'sin would stay at range and cast Fevered Dreams as melee heroes and minions run into combat. After casting, I would use Dash to close to melee and immediately throw Black Mantis (Cripple) -> Black Lotus (energy regain) -> Twisting Fangs (Bleed + Deep Wounds). That combo takes only a second or two to apply (with Cripple being almost immediate) and now you have every mob with all three status effects.

The problem that most people have with 'sins, I feel, is that too many retards played them when Factions came out. Every single one (including me) rushed in and thought PEWPEWPEWIKILLUIRNINJA! This build is much more group friendly and can add lots of status effects to make encounters much easier. In addition, between Dash, Dark Prison and Feigned Neutrality, I have quite of bit of defensive options and can normally get myself out of combat to stop from getting focused on and killed.

When soloing, I would take out Black Mantis Thrust and Jungle Strike and sub in Black Spider Strike (poison) and Wild Strike (ends stances and DD) since cripple doesn't really help me much.

Played this build last night... and even though I don't have Fevered Dreams or decent equipment (Im still at 40 armor), I had a very high rate of survivability and was able to help bring down problematic mobs. Energy usage was very stable with crit strikes and Black Lotus Strike.

For anyone who wants to look at this build closer I would, of course, direct you to the guildwars wiki page. I can list durations of debuffs and further explanations if someone brings up a question or comment.
WRONG
Bye space sword!

Jae
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by Jae » Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:11 am

Lawl PvE Assassin.

I should roll a Mesmer to play with you and our circle of PvE inefficiency will be complete.

Oh yea. I went there. Inefficient.

But seriously, I've always wanted to try a Staruburst A/E.

Phat.Stack
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by Phat.Stack » Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:12 am

Ill inefficiently stroke ur nutz.

Btw, good luck making an A/E to partner with me when you CANT EVEN LOG ONTO THE GAME YET. Work on that.

But seriously, if the build is crap or won't be helpful in a PvE team, better to tell me now before I sink way too much time or plat into my assassin.

I don't have to be a Searing Flames build to feel useful or EFFICIENT... I just want to know that I AM contributing to a good team. Im sure that all of our characters could be more efficient (i.e. FotM).

If worse came to worse and I couldn't operate in hard mode, I realize I could always switch this to an A/R Barrage build. I would just prefer to close to melee and do something helpful to the group. I figured mass condition spreading could be that.

Oh, and another thought would be that this build would pair beautifully with a Paragon Anthem of Flames + They are on Fire build.

P.S. Hurry up and buy the game already, Sord.

Jae
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by Jae » Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:21 pm

Hell I don't know. I never really cared for Assassins in PvE, then again I never cared enough to turn them away. Heh I played with Syn's Assassin for a long time and we didn't have many problems. Play what you want. This isn't WoW where you need the absolute best FoTM builds to advance past certain encounters. At least not until you get to Domain of Anguish anyway, but I heard they nerfed that place to make it more accessible to the masses.

Why so much hate for Searing Flames? Did Damon cry to you about how my Searing Flames wrecking crew killed everything before his Spiteful Spirit could get more than two licks in? :D

Anyway I'm not Searing Flames right now. It's too cumbersome to have to drag along two ele heroes all the time. Earth knockdown ele FTW.

Phat.Stack
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by Phat.Stack » Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:26 pm

I have no SF hate... Damon said you got tired of being FotM and switched out of it. So I was referencing the fact that we both aren't playing the "most efficient" build.

I guess Ill have to group up with your sorry mug at some point and AssAss it up to see how it plays. I really like the feel of the 'sin and I think I play it smarter than, say, a hero or henchmen would play the class. Of course, that's not saying much... in fact, I may have just pwned myself :(

LUK EYE PLAY BTTR TAN A RETARD! YAY!

Of course, I still need to finish the Factions campaign and then get to the end of the Prophecies campaign to be able to cap Fevered Dreams... so this build is still a ways away from being completed.

Syn
Midshipman
Midshipman
Custom Rank: Piw Piw Masta

Post by Syn » Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:12 am

Jae wrote:Lawl PvE Assassin.

I should roll a Mesmer to play with you and our circle of PvE inefficiency will be complete.

Oh yea. I went there. Inefficient.

But seriously, I've always wanted to try a Staruburst A/E.
Heh, dont hate the Mes! I still love my toon and you know you loved my isht when I played. Kinda want to reroll another one...just dont know when.

Sins are fun...it's just finding the right build to how you play is the pain.
anata mo watashi mo Pocky!

Jae
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by Jae » Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:19 pm

Yea yea I guess your Mesmer was pretty sweet. We did get through two campaigns with your Mes after all. Are you all done with your dumb projects yet? Come play some GW again phewl. EoTN is goes completely live this weekend I think.

Ben, what kind of build were you running on your Sin tonight? Your lack of deaths as a Sin in those huge groups was kind of surprising. :D Raisu honestly couldn't have gone any smoother.

Syn
Midshipman
Midshipman

Post by Syn » Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:18 am

I really want to play. But I dont even know when that's gonna happen now. I have to redo my animations and finish up the other two by the end of this week. We'll see. Maybe I'll play a little bit on Wed. evening as a breather from all this isht for a bit.

Jae
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by Jae » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:35 am

LAME. Well if you'd stop watching your lingerie shows, then your animations wouldI've been finished already!

There's something of a daily crew playing right now so it's been fun.

Phat.Stack
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by Phat.Stack » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:08 am

Jae wrote:Ben, what kind of build were you running on your Sin tonight? Your lack of deaths as a Sin in those huge groups was kind of surprising. :D Raisu honestly couldn't have gone any smoother.
Well, there was that one time when I got one shotted right in the face. Other than that, yes, I was pleased with my survivability.

My current build (since I haven't finished the Prophecies campaign to cap Fevered Dreams) is:

Death Blossom
Moebius Strike
Golden Phoenix Strike
Twisting Fangs
Death's Charge
Critical Eye (for hobo energy gain)
Shroud of Distress
Shadow Refuge

At this point I just put on enchantments, run in with a Golden Phoenix Strike and then I just alternate using Death Blossom (PBAoE melee damage) and Moebius Strike ad infinitum (well, until my energy holds... I don't have Zealot daggers :( ).

Anyway, Im actually reworking my PvE build today... that was my first run with the above build and I see some places it could be improved.

So, until I get Fevered Dreams, Ill probably run:

Death Blossom
Moebius Strike
Golden Phoenix Strike
Golden Fox Strike (so I have something to spam when my enchants get stripped)
Dash (to use offensively AND defensively unlike Death's Charge)
Critical Eye
Critical Agility (better defense than Shroud of Distress + IAS)
Shadow Refuge

Unfortunately, I have to take certain skills that I dont want to cover up my gear deficiencies. As soon as I get a zealot dagger (end of Nightfall campaign... /le sigh) I can drop Critical Eye and put Twisting Fangs back in (right now TF just costs too much energy for me to have it in my attack string) to help my single target damage. At that point Ill probably rework the whole build again.

The only disadvantage I saw with the build was that I have to have an enchantment on me to be able to skip the lead attack and go straight to Golden Phoenix Strike -> Death Blossom -> Moebius -> Death Blossom -> Moebius (etc). The computer is, of course, able to cast shatter enchant with easy (cheap AI) so many times I end up having to rely on my protection monk's enchants to keep my string going. Won't have the same problem in PvP Id imagine.

Anyway... tmi. Last night I helped kill things and only died once.

Short version: PvE assassin can work well, its just that there are a lot of idiots who play(ed) the class.

Jae
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by Jae » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:49 am

Oh wait you died once?

THEN NEVERMIND. I'LL JUST LUMP YOU IN WITH ALL THE OTHER SINS THAT DON'T DO ANYTHING BUT DIE IN MISSIONS.

Syn
Midshipman
Midshipman

Post by Syn » Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:53 pm

Jae wrote:LAME. Well if you'd stop watching your lingerie shows, then your animations wouldI've been finished already!

There's something of a daily crew playing right now so it's been fun.
I QUOTE from my teacher....for REFERENCE ONLY. :D