Thinking about giving this a try

Munki talks about this too much. Here is an outlet for his enthusiasm.
Flac
Master Gunner
Master Gunner
Cash on hand: Locked
Custom Rank: For the Family

Thinking about giving this a try

Post by Flac » Thu Oct 07, 2004 6:55 pm

I'm a little curious about this game and I'm going to give a 14-day trial a shot.

I was wondering what you all thought of this back in the days you played it. Maybe I'll buy it and play it a few months before WoW if I like it.

What do you all think?

Screwtape
Brewmaster
Brewmaster
Custom Rank: Sexy Pahties!

Post by Screwtape » Fri Oct 08, 2004 6:55 am

Well, being the most recent veteran of AO, here's the lowdown... Its got an above average learning curve (you have to deal not only with the usual armor reqs, but also with implants and the skill tree is lovely since it lets you spend IP on *whatever* you want)

It takes time- especially for a newbie to accomplish anything, once one of your toons hit level 150+ money should start rolling in easier for you. But, your first toon will always be an uphill battle. There are two types of orgs (guilds) the types that only want uber players, and the ones are too "weak" because they dont have level minimum for recruiting. Its probably my biggest gripe with the game, the sheer vastness of elitism.

I can't say its fun IMHO, there's a reason I left it :P BUT, in all fairness or objectivity, I wager its a fun game, it just takes time to understand everything, moreso than any other but starting out its really fun, I guess. 14 days should be more than enough for you to get most of it. Just be sure to have a calculator handy.
I will enthrall you with my Puerto Rican voodoo love charms.

Jae
Exalted Brewmaster
Exalted Brewmaster

Post by Jae » Fri Oct 08, 2004 9:01 am

I threw in the towel much earlier than Screwtape did, and for a good reason I think. I'm simply more sane than Screwtape is.

Anarchy Online was an awesome game. I was wildly addicted to it and yes it did have an above average learning curve, but the things you did had a sense of accomplishment. I used to spend entire evenings doing the math so that I would have some reliable way to twink on an uber piece of armor, it was fun. Some balked at the camping and disgustingly rare % drops off of even more rare spawns, but that was part of the game and it wasn't so bad if you put in the hours to earn your stuff and raid with your crew. You really didn't have to deal with that crap until later levels anyway unless you're building a low level PvP twink. Otherwise most of the camped stuff was just "uber" gear, but you could survive without it in the low levels. Just ask Spiderman... err I mean Screwtape. That and to look good. Style was everything in AO.

150+ is pretty much a good cutoff level as to when you're going to finally get into the meat and potatoes of the game however, so the game itself is a long term investment if you really want to get into it. You'll want to be in a decent org by then, as you can't raid with a shitty org. Screwtape is right about the org elitism though. It's pretty rampant. Hell it even infected our own grassroots org from what I understand.

Well, that was AO as I knew it. Great game with a great community and a nice sense of familiarity. It was lots of fun and teamwork was emphasized. It was like Cheers. Then enter the Shadowlands expansion, which turned the golden formula of AO into Anarchy Everquest. I won't go into the various reasons why Shadowquest... er Shadowlands drove me away, I'll leave that up to you since *some* people actually liked it. /shudder

I have no experience with the Alien Invasion expansion. Post up your impressions when you play it. My understanding is that it's entirely geared toward the veteran playerbase who are already established in orgs though.

On a side note, Screwtape your avatar kicks serious ass man.

Phat.Stack
Exalted Brewmaster
Exalted Brewmaster
Custom Rank: Master of the Psychic Dragon Punch

Post by Phat.Stack » Fri Oct 08, 2004 9:24 am

Jae wrote:You really didn't have to deal with that crap until later levels anyway unless you're building a low level PvP twink.
Are YOU a PvP "twink" Jae?

:D

Babie
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Babie » Fri Oct 08, 2004 9:34 am

I play AO for almost 2 yrs. and stoped playing shortly after SL came out .I liked it but SL killed it for me .......... Tower battle are great fun but the lagg was incredible to the point you almost could play

Jae
Exalted Brewmaster
Exalted Brewmaster

Post by Jae » Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:16 am

STF Phatty, I roxxed PvP with my phat.TradAR Caterwaul skillz. I had a level 20 PvP "twink" Enforcer but he was pretty lame because I was too busy camping Shadowquest to finish his build. >.>

OMGGGGGGGGG Babie who were you in AO? Did you play on RK-1?

<----- Airy in CoH btw

Flac
Master Gunner
Master Gunner

Post by Flac » Fri Oct 08, 2004 2:15 pm

You guys are just making this sound like EQ and played that for a good while.

I'll be giving it that ole' college try today, going in basically blind. But your gripes so far sound like the basic ones that plague everybody when you start an mmo.

Munki
Custom Rank: Alouette, gentille Alouette
Games: Diablo III, GW2, Monster Hunter
Guild: Grog, TOG

Post by Munki » Fri Oct 08, 2004 4:35 pm

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

2003-06-12 69 Clan Rising Sun Applicant

I remember that gimp guild. It was fun only having you to talk to.

The game was pretty fun, but it is pretty much EQ in space. Lots of fun for the crazy min-maxer, and your implants give you a lot of customization.

I think the game wouldn't have been as fun without Synicide helpin me and jae out occaisionally. But for the 96 levels I played, it was alright. I love the setting still though. We need more Sci-Fi MMORPG's god damn it.
Space for Rent

Screwtape
Brewmaster
Brewmaster
Custom Rank: Sexy Pahties!

Post by Screwtape » Fri Oct 08, 2004 5:12 pm

Agree on the Sci-Fi RPG aspect, agree on a sci-fi EQ comparison. And pay no heed to Munki's advice, he only got to 96, thats like, the equivalent of a second trimester in pregnancy, only those who hit 150+ CAN SPEAK!!! If you're just waiting for WoW... just wait. AO will suck you in long after WoW has been released.
I will enthrall you with my Puerto Rican voodoo love charms.

Flac
Master Gunner
Master Gunner

Post by Flac » Fri Oct 08, 2004 9:23 pm

Well I started out as a human or whatever it's called adventurer. Duel wielding pistols and using my starter first aid kits and nano "quick heal" I left the newbie zone at lvl 3 and headed to Borealis the neutral city. Grouped with Judeu and we grabbed a mission, which was interesting I might add with the boss fight at the end, and rampaged around in an abandoned subway killing dogs, fleas, and the random drunk hobo stealing his liquor and clothes after he was put down. Getting lvl 4 or 5 in the process.

So far though I have no idea how to craft anything or move my main chat window.

The game's alright, but I dunno. It feels a little aged or something, and the graphics are a lil hard on the eyes (maybe I should just turn up the settings?). Somethings giving me a bad feeling about it. Heh maybe I'm just getting jaded about the genre.

I do like the dungeon we fought in and the general atmosphere.
We need more sci-fi mmos damnit!!!!

Syn
Midshipman
Midshipman
Custom Rank: Piw Piw Masta

Post by Syn » Sat Oct 09, 2004 3:37 am

Hehe where to begin on this one. Truthfully it's a good game. My character was a crat (shaman/pet controller) and I remember when NO one would play them. Everyone's like why the hell you play that. I stuck with him and became really good what I did. I made ALOT of good friends while I played it and it made me enjoy the game even more.

I would still play it if it wasn't for SL (shadowlands.) When that pack came out, the gameplay totally changed. It was brand new game altogether. I think I can safely say the reason why I, as well as others here left because of that. It became shadowquest and no longer this fun, fast-paced quirky game. But since you're new, you might like it. Granted both worlds have their pros and cons but it wasn't enough for us to keep on playing.

I've been reading up on Alien Invasion though and from what I know they changed it back to the way it was. Pre-SL. So that's a good thing.

Every now and then I have the urge to reactivate my account but I won't because I know I'll spend too much time there and I'll never get anything done. Especially for school.

As far as levels go and depending how much time you put into it you'll do fine. Hell leveling from 1 - 100 won't take long as it used to. I know there's still some people out there that are always willing to help out.

Since you picked an adventurer you know you can "morph" into a animal? I believe at lvl 20...hell with the right stuff even earlier you can change into a "leet." It's this small rodent looking thing that actually looks cute.

Babie - what server did you play and what was the name of your char. Hehe we probabbly know each other in-game or at least know of each other there. My main was "Tritop" and other toons I played are "Sailo, Absolutv, and Gatoraide." O yeah I played in Atlantean/RK1
anata mo watashi mo Pocky!

PopnFresh
Exalted Brewmaster
Exalted Brewmaster
Custom Rank: Whatever Damon is, plus one.

Post by PopnFresh » Sat Oct 09, 2004 10:36 am

Jesus you assfaces, let this shit die already.

Pinnacle of game: fishnet stockings.
Poppin' up fresh, every time!
"Classic Wedge"

Phat.Stack
Exalted Brewmaster
Exalted Brewmaster
Custom Rank: Master of the Psychic Dragon Punch

Post by Phat.Stack » Sat Oct 09, 2004 11:27 am

Concrete pillows

Flac
Master Gunner
Master Gunner

Post by Flac » Sat Oct 09, 2004 1:42 pm

Level 7 or 8 now, still don't know how to check it unless I look at the login screen. The learning curve is a little steep. I don't know how to even fathom tradeskills because nobody has told me shit. You there'd be a npc or something but no. However, I did figure out implants, which is very spiffy and filled an empty hand one for myself.

The missions are spiffy and good xp. However, I have no idea where other areas are. I wandered outside of town for a good distance and it was desolate, I couldn't find a rock. Felt like swg man, except no monsters. Damnit man I feel bored already.

Jae
Exalted Brewmaster
Exalted Brewmaster

Post by Jae » Sat Oct 09, 2004 2:11 pm

Haha nobody wanders outside (you started on Rubi-Ka right?) unless they're hunting static spawns for phat gear. You either take the grid terminals (a sub-space thingy that takes you from place to place) or later on you get a Yalm for non-Adventurers (flying vehicle that kicks ass). But since you're an Adv, they can turn into birds n stuff, but that's later.

As far as implants go, note that there are outside buffs that you can recieve or twink items that will raise your base stats while you have them equipped. It lets you twink into higher implants and put on better weapons n armor n stuff. But I wouldn't even worry about that through the low levels since they go by so fast.

Once you hit level 20 or so, you can go to Temple of the Three Winds, which happens to be Munki's favorite place in the world. ;) To be honest, that was when I first started to appreciate the game. Everything before that was kind of meh. Except Popn's level 3 character in fishnet stockings of course. That rocked.