Don't any of you bitches read?

Stuff that just doesn't fit anywhere else. (As if our other threads don't run off topic already.)
Eggnog
Grog Swiller
Grog Swiller

Re: Don't any of you bitches read?

Postby Eggnog » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:55 pm

Language NSFW, if you couldn't tell from the title.

<table border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="4" bgcolor="#000000" style="font-family: arial;" width="640"><tbody><tr bgcolor="#A6172D" style="background-color: #A6172D; color: white; font-size: 18px;"><td align="left"><a style="color: white; text-decoration: none;" href="http://www.ucbcomedy.com/videos/play/6825/fuck-me-ray-bradbury" target="_blank">Fuck Me, Ray Bradbury</a></td><td align="right"><a style="color: white; text-decoration: none;" href="http://www.ucbcomedy.com">UCBcomedy.com</a></td></tr><tr><td colspan="2"><object width='640' height="388"><param name="movie" value="http://www.ucbcomedy.com/videos/embed/25f4b48aafe9974e6ef69c159c43ee1a"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.ucbcomedy.com/videos/embed/25f4b48aafe9974e6ef69c159c43ee1a" width="640" height="388" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"></embed></object></td></tr><tr style="color: white; font-size: 12px;"><td colspan="2" align="center">Watch more <a style="color: #c33; text-decoration: underline" href="http://www.ucbcomedy.com">comedy videos</a> from the twisted minds of the UCB Theatre at <a style="color: #c33; text-decoration: underline" href="http://www.ucbcomedy.com">UCBcomedy.com</a><br /></td></tr></tbody></table>
This space for rent.

PopnFresh
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Whatever Damon is, plus one.

Postby PopnFresh » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:31 pm

I lol'd at the reaction to "I <3 Kurt Vonnegut"

But I'd probably pick Kurt over Ray, too. For both reading and pleasure.
Poppin' up fresh, every time!
"Classic Wedge"

Marcallo
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Grand Wizard

Postby Marcallo » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:50 am

I have no clue who Ray Bradbury is in fact, I've only recently read the Dune series. So I'm not a big SciFi nerd. however... that girl has some nice yum yums.
Dog carcass in alley this morning, tire tread on burst stomach. This city is afraid of me. I have seen it's true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"...

...and I'll look down, and whisper "no."

PopnFresh
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Whatever Damon is, plus one.

Postby PopnFresh » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:00 pm

Ray Bradbury is best known as the author of the books that were turned into the movies Farenheit 9/11 and Mission to Mars.
Poppin' up fresh, every time!
"Classic Wedge"

Ember
Master Gunner
Master Gunner
Custom Rank: AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Postby Ember » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:38 pm

Something Wicked This Way Comes (title ripped from a line in Shakespeare's MacBeth) and The Illustrated Man are also good.
~*~*~Ember~*~*~ :bow:

Screwtape
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Sexy Pahties!

Postby Screwtape » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:44 pm

So I made a resolution to start reading regularly. I may have overdone it, since so far this year I've read about 30 books.

I've read most of the books listed here. The Song of Ice and Fire series were great, though I have my qualms about it.

The one that stood out the most for me, were the Takeshi Kovacs books that Skuppy recommended. Those were fucking brilliant. If you're into sci-fi at all, they're must reads. The first one (Altered Carbon) is very old school noir meets SciFi a-la Neuromancer. They hero, or rather, anti-hero, since he's technically a sociopath, but really is the good guy, is incredibly interesting. Though the universe Morgan creates is similar to many of its predecessors, it has some great aspects that haven't been seen before, or haven't been applied as well. The second book (name totally alludes me now) is not along the same veins as the first. The first one is old school noir private dick, the second one is more Indiana Jones in the temple of Zenon (sounded sci fi enough), and the third one is a bit of a mix, though more political. I've read about 6 books since the trilogy, and I actually miss the universe it created.
I will enthrall you with my Puerto Rican voodoo love charms.

dcazman
Captain
Captain
Custom Rank: Master of the obvious.
Games: PS4 games

Postby dcazman » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:15 am

I have not read in a long time, recently I picked up the Terry Pratchett Disc world books and I am fairly please with them.
This space for rent , playing DOW and games on the PS3

Screwtape
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Sexy Pahties!

Postby Screwtape » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:49 pm

THREAD NECROMANCY GO

Disclaimer:
I'm not a huge fan of heavy expository writing. I always want the author to paint the big picture of any given universe but let me fill in the details. I like a little work on my end of any book. That being said I do read plenty of novels that are heavy in exposition, but those are usually because the writing is so good the exposition doesn't feel ham-fisted.

Popcorn recommendations:
Not deeply expository, or self-analytical, or preachy. Just fun brisk reads.

Remy Chandler series by Thomas E. Sniegoski
A private eye who happens to be a muthafuckin' angel disguised as a human? And I'm talkin' heavy Old Testament shit angel? Yup! It plays a lot with the "lore" of celestial "history" so I guess if you're sensitive to that, then you shouldn't read it. It's like The Prophecy meets Buffy the Vampire Slayer. It's not THAT good, but the series of books are quick reads, and all-around entertaining (I didn't like one of the books, but meh).

The Lost Fleet series by Jack Campbell
Hard military sci fi series. Again another "popcorn" read where you don't necessarily gleam any deep thought or philosophical dilemmas from them, but still just very entertaining reads. The technology is less spacious like Star Trek, or massive like Warhammer 40k. In fact for the most part they're pretty much submarines in space. The lead, Jack Geary, is just another soldier who was rescued from "cryo freeze" 100 years later, after surviving a surprise attack by another human system of planets. The Alliance (MASS EFFECT WUT?) vs. The Syndicate Worlds (just like the name implies, it's all Megacorporation form of 'government'), it's been going on for a 100 years and then he ends up leading the armada of ships back home, after being knee deep in enemy territory. The story arc expands from there. Again, good solid reads, short too.

John Ledger Series by Jonathan Maberry
24 meets the X-files meets The Unit (or any other special forces show you can think of). The first novel has the lead character tackling Zombies (no pun intended). The reads are slightly deeper and the books longer than the aforementioned. But well within the range of popcorn reads. Very entertaining, except for some of the combat writing. (Don't tell me how he turned and twisted to put his knee up someone's chin. Not because it's not worth it, but because I'll get lost in all the reactions and movements and I'll end up focusing on the final moves anyway).

Other recommendations:

The Half-Made World by Felix Gilman
Steampunk novel set in an alternate US in the late 1800s? Sign me the fuck up. Almost done with the book and it's been very good. It follows three characters in the wild west, where the Line and the Gun are at war with each other. It has a touch of Dark Tower series (at least, the good type of things from the Dark Tower) and all in all it's great. There's another novel set in the universe called the Rise of Ransom City which I'll probably read right after.

Gridlinked by Neal Asher
The first of a pretty long series of novels in the "Polity" Universe. It wasn't my cup of tea. It was far too expository for my tastes and although the vision of the far future Neal Asher has is interesting and mostly logical, it didn't excite me too much. However, I am the minority since it's been a big success of a series with Ian Cormac being the super bad ass secret agent. Unfortunately, he doesn't have much personality and for the most part the badassery feels kind of latched-on rather than "earned." There is a good explanation as to why Cormac isn't much of a personality in Book 1. Hopefully Book 2 will work on that story point.
I will enthrall you with my Puerto Rican voodoo love charms.

Tamayo
Captain
Captain

Postby Tamayo » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:26 pm

I recommend that everyone check out the author David Mitchell, who is best known for Cloud Atlas (which was just made into a movie last year). I haven't read that book myself, but I read his three earlier books and he does amazing things with characters. He plays with sequence of events in interesting ways and some of his books are collections of short stories that link together. He has become one of my favorite authors in recent years.
Recommendations: Ghostwritten, Number9Dream, Black Swan Green

I also have really gotten into China Mieville's stuff lately. He does very weird steampunky, sci-fi, fantasy hybrids. He creates unique and imaginative worlds and is a good read if you are sick of traditional sci-fi/fantasy stuff. His work can be a bit dense though--the books are more challenging than most stuff in these genres, but the payoff is worth it.
Recommendations: Perdido Street Station, The Scar, Iron Council, Un Lun Dun, The City & the City
"Critics who treat adult as a term of approval cannot be adult themselves. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Return to “Off Topic”