Don't any of you bitches read?

Stuff that just doesn't fit anywhere else. (As if our other threads don't run off topic already.)
OverloadUT
Buccaneer
Buccaneer
Custom Rank: Splat!

Postby OverloadUT » Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:55 am

My favorite pro-audiobook quote is from Orson Scott Card:

"The ideal way to enjoy any of my books is to hear them preformed in audio-only format by excellent actors. And that's what you just heard."

He says it during his little spot at the end of the Ender's Game audiobook, when he's talking about the forthcoming movie and how his books, as they're written, don't translate to movies very well.

Tamayo
Captain
Captain

Postby Tamayo » Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:01 pm

has anyone read orson scott's book "Enchantment?" it looks intriguing to me
"Critics who treat adult as a term of approval cannot be adult themselves. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Niralica
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: No Da!

Postby Niralica » Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:27 pm

I read Enchantment, it was pretty good.

OverloadUT
Buccaneer
Buccaneer
Custom Rank: Splat!

Postby OverloadUT » Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:06 pm

I finished Shadow of the Hegemon recently.

I liked it. If you liked the rest of the Enderverse books, this one is worth a read. It's about what happens to the Battle School kids who go home after the Formic War. It's mainly about Bean, Petra and Achilles. Achilles I thought was a really fun character to watch.

I bought Shadow Puppets which is the next in the series. Looking forward to finding out how Peter got all his power.

Marcallo
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Grand Wizard

Postby Marcallo » Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:36 pm

"Slash"

As a child of the 80's and foward I am a very big admirer of Guns'N'Roses and especially Slash. Slash recently put out a book cowritten by Anthony Bozza and I am about halfway through it. It has to be one of the most fascinating biographic novels that I have ever read. If you have any interest in seeing how an INSANE person can make it in the world you really need to check out this book.

Some things you learn, Slash is in fact half black, you may have known that already, I forgot. Slash' mom used to have sex with David Bowie while he was downstairs. Slash' real name is Saol. And much much more. I'm really enjoying it.
Dog carcass in alley this morning, tire tread on burst stomach. This city is afraid of me. I have seen it's true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"...

...and I'll look down, and whisper "no."

Sord
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: The Trev

Postby Sord » Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:41 am

Confessor by Terry Goodkind

The last book in the Sword of Truth series. Overall I was happy with the story and satisfied with the ending though it felt lacking and maybe a bit anti-climactic. The Imperial Order has been buttfucking the New World without lube since theyI've been introduced and I kinda figured when Richard and team finally "wins" it would be a little more than what it was when it was time to kill Jagang. One thing that I find genius and infuriating at the same time is how he kills off main characters just all of a sudden. It pisses me off cause hey, I really really like the characters but in the end I like it because it elicits a real emotional response from me and I enjoy actually *feeling* something when reading a good story.

I also wish the end went a bit further to explain "what happens next" to some of the other characters. One of my favorite in the series is Nicci and in previous books he really goes through great lengths to develop her character and at the end, it just kinda goes poof, the end.

I think I'm just more upset that the series is finally ended more than I am about any shortcomings about the story itself. The way he ended it does leave it open for another series and I'm glad for that. The question is will he continue on with a new set of books or not? I haven't really found any interviews on what his plans are to do next so I'm not sure what will happen.
Bye space sword!

Marcallo
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Marcallo » Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:52 am

I'm guessing he will milk the cashcow a bit more by doing single standalone books about Richard and Co exploring a bit of whats changed. And the ending of the book showed who Richard was as a person, always willing to give people chances no matter what. He is the "True Seeker".
Dog carcass in alley this morning, tire tread on burst stomach. This city is afraid of me. I have seen it's true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"...

Lightfeather
Site Admin
Site Admin
Custom Rank: Your Admin
Games: World of Warcraft
Guild: Broken Circle

Postby Lightfeather » Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:39 am

Currently re-reading "The Chronicles of Chrestomanci, Volume 1: Charmed Life / The Lives of Christopher Chant". I have read volumes 1 and 2. Volume three should be out in April and I have it preordered.

If you like magic, multiple dimensions (and multiple lives), you should give it a read. It's sort of like Harry Potter but before Harry Potter and not quite Harry Potter.

Main character is an orphan. Sister is a bitch. Goes to live with powerful family etc all...
ImageImage

Waits
Quartermaster
Quartermaster
Custom Rank: Seaman

Postby Waits » Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:17 am

Reading "Confederacy of Dunces" which is real good. Also re-reading a bunch of Lovecraft stories.

skuppy
The Magic Man
The Magic Man
Games: WoW, Rock Band 2, Fallout 3

Postby skuppy » Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:04 pm

I have about 5 pages left of Chuck Palahniuk's Diary, this is the third book I've read by him. It's about a woman who is brought to an island to fulfill a prophecy and save the genteel families who have lived there for generations but our now running out of their old money, and forced serve the tourists who have invaded the island. The old families torture the poor girl and force her to paint 100 pictures (which she paints with her eyes closed). The woman's mother-in-law has a diary from 100 years ago written by another painter who lived nearly the same life as the woman. Supposedly when the paintings are finally revealed to the tourists it will some how cause them to die and all the corporate advertisers on the island will pay millions to have their message removed (like when an air plane crashes and all the airlines pay to have travel ads canceled in publications so as to not be associated with the crash)... or maybe the paintings are so good that people buy them for millions, I dunno...

Here's a pretty good review of the book: http://dir.salon.com/story/books/review ... index.html

And I've read several Terry Pratchett Discworld books since my last post.
This space for rent.

Lightfeather
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Lightfeather » Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:27 am

Been reading the Odd Thomas Novels by Dean Koontz.

It's one of those kind of "I see dead people" type stories. I like that shit.
ImageImage

Ug
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Postby Ug » Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:29 pm

I want to like Terry Pratchett's books. One day Heidi bought a kid's book called Where's My Cow?. In the book, Sam Vimes is reading the eponymous book to his son, Young Sam, which involves wondering if various farm animals are his cow, based on the noises they make. He pragmatically alters the story to "Where's My Daddy?" and instead compares phrases of local characters. It was a wonderfully written and illustrated book, and stood on its own merit. Heidi bought Guards, Guards and tried reading it but didn't finish (very uncommon for her). I read it, and read The Color of Magic, and have purchased the second book, but frankly, I don't really find the books anywhere near as good as Where's My Cow?.

I want to like Terry Pratchett's books. But I don't.

I actually used eponymous legitimately and without premeditation. I win at words!

skuppy
The Magic Man
The Magic Man

Postby skuppy » Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:27 pm

I'm a huge Pratchett fan, none of his books are great, sometimes they're not even that funny, but they are incredibly FUN. I usually finish them quickly. I've read everyone but the very last one, I'm waiting for the trade paperback edition.

I recommend "Thud!" - it's part of the Sam Vimes series (the best of Discworld IMHO) and uses the book Where's My Cow? as a major plot point.

Although it's probably best to read the Vimes books in order as they do have continuity and self references.

I've been reading a lot of Christopher Moore's books. He's a genuinely funny writer that I'd honestly compare to Douglas Adams or maybe even Vonnegut. Pratchett is often compared to Adams but I don't think he really lives up to it.
This space for rent.

Lightfeather
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Don't any of you bitches read?

Postby Lightfeather » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:09 am

Been reading the "Incarnations of Immortality" series by Piers Anthony. I enjoyed it for the most part but I'm on book 7 (and eternity) and it's not really hooking me.
ImageImage

skuppy
The Magic Man
The Magic Man

Postby skuppy » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:39 pm

No Country For Old Men
The Road
From a Buick 8
A Canticle for Leibowitz
Good Omens
The Bachman Books
Light
Foundation (first one)
The Ruins
Sharp Objects
The Master and Margarita
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night

in the middle of Sophie's World

The Master and Margarita was exceptionally good, and I'm enjoying Sophie's World, but there is something about foreign books translated into English that leaves behind a large amount of exclamation points!
This space for rent.

Tamayo
Captain
Captain

Postby Tamayo » Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:07 pm

Polishing off the His Dark Materials series, by Philip Pullman, amazing series I highly recommend it even if you saw the Golden Compass movie and didn't like it. The book is much different, much more adult, plus it gets even better as it goes along.

"Critics who treat adult as a term of approval cannot be adult themselves. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Tamayo
Captain
Captain

Postby Tamayo » Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:35 am

I've done a ton of reading so far this year, a lot for school, some of my own choice; I'd recommend everything in the list

Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte
Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte
Time Out of Joint - Philip K. Dick
Oliver Twist - Charles Dickens
Hard Times - Charles Dickens
Gulliver's Travels - Jonathan Swift
Left Hand of Darkness - Ursula K. LeGuin
Gun, With Occasional Music - Jonathan Lethem
The Road - Cormac McCarthy
Nine Greek Lives - Plutarch
Civilwarland in Bad Decline - George Saunders
Frankenstein - Mary Shelley
Treasure Island - Robert Louis Stevenson
The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde - Robert Louis Stevenson
Vanity Fair - William Thackeray
Return of the Native - Thomas Hardy
Galapagos - Kurt Vonnegut
The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde

Currently going through Harry Potter before the next movie comes out, Sorcerer's Stone and Chamber of Secrets done, working on Prisoner at the moment

Marcallo
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Marcallo » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:05 am

Boy you put a lot of difficult books to get through on that list. Seriously Dickens novels? Also I tried REALLY hard to get through the picture of dorien grey but it was sooo fucking tedious and boring. I never got to the part where the guy sells his soul even. It was the first 100 pages of "high society life is soooo drab but you need to blah blah blah blah blah blah blah dorien blah blah pretty blah blah". Oh, shoot me.

Kiawah
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Drive fast, take chances

Postby Kiawah » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:56 am

They're not that bad. Frankenstein, Gulliver's Travels, Wuthering Heights, etc are all < 350 pages. I get a lot off the classic list from Barnes and Noble. Used, you can get them for like $2, which is great, cheap entertainment.

Galapagos is a great book, as is everything by Vonnegut. My personal favorite is Welcome to the Monkey House, which is a collection of short stories.

Currently I've been reading a lot from the Star Wars extended Universe. So far I've finished The Rise of Darth Vader, Darth Bane: Path of Destruction, and Darth Bane: Rule of Two. I'm about to start Shatterpoint (the Mace novel). All of which have been really awesome reads, so far.

Marcallo
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Marcallo » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:02 am

I was mostly picking on Dickens and Oscar Wilde. There's some recent books written that are clearly written for book critics. Like a couple years ago my wife bought me a book called Dr. Strange and Mr. Norell. I got through about 100 pages before I through it across the room. On the flip side Wicked is also written a bit long winded and I enjoyed that thouroughly, so I guess it's a matter of writing style and pacing.

Niralica
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: No Da!

Postby Niralica » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:04 am

I've only read Jane Eyre on that list, and that was only because my grandmother bought it for me as a present. I did like it though. I saw a movie based on the novel, but it wasn't that great, it was much better to relating to the book than most movies are though.

Anyone who likes mystery novels should read the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher, they are really well written. it is a series, but you could really read it out of order there is some things that carry over into other books, but you wouldn't be lost if you picked it up in the middle. I really like it for the witty humor.

Marcallo
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Marcallo » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:31 am

After reading his blog found here. http://grrm.livejournal.com/ I'm pretty much convinced George Martin is never releasing the next Song of Ice and Fire book.

Also you guys should Dead until Dawn and Living Dead in Dallas, good fast books perfect for a lazy afternoon or a road trip. If you like TrueBlood you'll like these better.

Googy
Buccaneer
Buccaneer
Custom Rank: Since 1988

Postby Googy » Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:42 pm

Marcallo wrote:After reading his blog found here. http://grrm.livejournal.com/ I'm pretty much convinced George Martin is never releasing the next Song of Ice and Fire book.

I'm eagerly waiting for the next one. Best fantasy series I've read.
I also recommend The Malazan Book of the Fallen by Steven Erikson. The books are a pretty hard read considering the author does not explain most terms until a few hundred pages after you had first encountered them, but the characters are very real and entertaining.

The only reason I prefer A Song of Ice and Fire over it is because magic and gods play a very big role in The Malazan Book of the Fallen - resulting in a lot of unexpected plot turns. Don't get me wrong, A Song of Ice and Fire has plenty of plot turns but when you inspect them you can see that the author has left many clues all along the way and you could actually, if you had put more thought in it, discover what was going to happen ages before it did.

The Malazan Book of The Fallen does have a way of wrapping around a lot of different plot threads nicely, which shouldn't be under-estimated. I will definitely buy the next books of the series.
If everybody wants to go to heaven how come nobody wants to die?

inara
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Postby inara » Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:47 pm

www.goodreads.com/mousie_books

join! friend me! It's my new obsession. :) Don't make fun of my er, book skew; I'm entering my library prior to 2008 in order they appear on my bookshelves...

Tamayo
Captain
Captain

Postby Tamayo » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:12 pm

Recently found out about a newer british author China Mieville who writes some really interesting sci-fi/fantasy/steampunkish stuff. Neat stuff if you're looking for a change from the usual fantasy type books.

Return to “Off Topic”