Grog is ten years old today!

Stuff that just doesn't fit anywhere else. (As if our other threads don't run off topic already.)
Lightfeather
Site Admin
Site Admin
Custom Rank: Your Admin
Games: World of Warcraft
Guild: Broken Circle

Grog is ten years old today!

Postby Lightfeather » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:06 am

:grogversary: :woot:

Ten. Years.

Holy crap.
ImageImage

SectsDryve
Quartermaster
Quartermaster
Custom Rank: I'm a cotton headed ninny-muggins

Re: Grog is ten years old today!

Postby SectsDryve » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:20 pm

I also noticed this:

--
--
Elune:
Jeabus-Human Warlock, Hoshi-Night Elf Druid, Ginkobiloba-Undead Mage

Lightfeather
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Lightfeather » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:59 pm

Well yea, as soon as I got the forum up and running I kicked Munki and made him join. <3 (Three days later we got married. Our marriage is intertwined with the birth of grog. On on 1.23 we'll have been married for ten years! That just makes my brain melt a little...) I wish I had the money to do something special for all of the people who will be hitting their decade with us this year, but alas... The past couple of years have been pretty terrible for us financially. I've actually considered shutting this down a few times but we still had donated cash left to keep it up and running even though it has seen little use lately. I still click the link out of habit every day to see if anyone posted even though there is rarely anything to read here anymore. It's a comfortable habit though.

I have to honestly blame facebook for why I don't post here much anymore. It's just so... integrated with everything. And I haven't really had the time to sit and play with the forum like I used to, I mean like the guts of it. Digging into the files and tweaking things, adding things, updating things. I need a lot of quiet for that because distraction when you've got your hands in something that, if you lose your place, could break the forum completely isn't something that makes me excited to think about. The times I do sit down to mess around with it, I turn into a bear. Snarling and growling and snapping at anyone who comes in the room to ask me for anything.

"Not now. Busy."
"Ask your father."
"Give me five more minutes please."
"A minute is 60 seconds... go count to 300 then come ask me again."
"What do you mean you can only count to 100? I don't' have time for this, go count to 100 three times!"

I wish we were all still playing the same game. I miss having a game that pulls us all together. I miss everyone so much. :popnfresh:
ImageImage

Munki
Custom Rank: Alouette, gentille Alouette

Postby Munki » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:16 pm

Also; Butts. butts butts. lullz
Space for Rent

Lightfeather
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Lightfeather » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:23 pm

"Be still my heart; thou hast known worse than this."
ImageImage

Feaduin
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Billions and billions eaten.

Postby Feaduin » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:42 am

I'm definitely in the minority as far as facebook goes. I might have already said this somewhere on this forum but I'll say it again: while FB has its place on the web, I don't believe it can replace a true hang out like this place can be. The reason is that Facebook is the complete opposite of anonymous which simply means you can't ever really be free in either the speaking or the reading. And I don't want that to sound as if I just want to be able to troll with no consequences or something, that is already a well known side effect of anonymity. Instead, I posit that anonymity affords true freedom of thought for writers and their readers. Think of it: everyday you interact with real human beings and you subconsciously prejudge and instill personal bias on those other people before a single word is uttered between anyone. (I'm not turning this into some stupid kumbaya let's hold hands argument so please don't jump to that conclusion). Anonymity allows the transference of pure thought unsaddled with anything else that perverts or distorts the idea. The idea is unadulterated from the writer directly to the reader. Then, once the reader processes the idea, he/she can then judge the idea. If however, a picture of someone precedes the transfer of thought, the idea will be put through filters whether you are aware of them or not. The obvious filters would be race and gender, but more subtle filters include seeing someone's demeanor/disposition (mood filters), affiliations/social class (mode of dress, insignias, hair style), physical attraction, etc. All of these things heap layers and layers of extra meaning and emphasis onto the original thought whether the writer intended it or not. Yes, you can consciously control this to some degree, but I find this to be inefficient and prone to misunderstanding. A long while ago, before I revealed myself by actually speaking on the Warhammer vent channel, I could revel in the fact that I could potentially write from ANY perspective and tackle ANY subject and I would know that I could not be prejudged until the idea was actually read. Can you really write out the purest of thoughts on Facebook knowing that your mom could and probably would read it? Fuck that and fuck Facebook.

LONG LIVE GROG!! HERE'S TO ANOTHER TEN YEARS! :grog:

Sord
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: The Trev

Postby Sord » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:57 am

Happy 10th Grog. Grog is older than Facebook. And wiser. I know where I'll be sticking, even if it is a lot quieter than usual.
Bye space sword!

Lightfeather
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Lightfeather » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:13 pm

It's true that I sensor myself pretty tightly on facebook and I do feel more comfortable unburdening myself here. I've pretty much stopped journaling, something I swore I wouldn't do. I originally told myself it was because things have been so depressing these last couple of years that I was tired of seeing myself type the same garbage day after day and that I'd start writing again when life picked back up again. That I'd write again when I had something happy to report, but I suppose that's just a stupid way of thinking. I mean bad news is what's interesting anyway, right? ;) It's why newspapers don't print happy articles about puppies and rainbows. No one's buying.

Anyhow. I guess my crappy new years resolution to stop biting my nails can have an amendment that also states "...and will write at least one paragraph a day in my grog journal, because fuck facebook."

As an aside, I've actually managed to grow my nails out. I haven't bitten them once since the first. GO ME! Will a double resolution be that extra bump in the road that derails me? ;)
ImageImage

SectsDryve
Quartermaster
Quartermaster
Custom Rank: I'm a cotton headed ninny-muggins

Postby SectsDryve » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:06 pm

Lightfeather wrote:Will a double resolution be that extra bump in the road that derails me? ;)

Elune:

Jeabus-Human Warlock, Hoshi-Night Elf Druid, Ginkobiloba-Undead Mage

Deldinor
Quartermaster
Quartermaster
Custom Rank: Beet Farmer

Postby Deldinor » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:04 am

That's pretty badass. Happy GBD... um... Grog!

Bree
Buccaneer
Buccaneer

Postby Bree » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:52 pm

I still come every day and I love reading your stories Nicole. I certainly haven't posted much in my journal lately either. I hope everyone stays around here and the site lives on. Who knows, maybe there will be other games we will still play together, I am starting to feel like an old fart.

Happy Birthday Grog!

Return to “Off Topic”