Disney buys Lucas. 3 more Star Wars films promised.

Stuff that just doesn't fit anywhere else. (As if our other threads don't run off topic already.)
Feaduin
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Billions and billions eaten.

Disney buys Lucas. 3 more Star Wars films promised.

Postby Feaduin » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:52 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20146942

I'm kinda scared now. I suppose this can be a blessing in that Lucas can't further destroy my childhood. But I fear that after buying Lucas for 4 Billion dollars, Disney will want to recoup this by milking it to death. That picture says it all - Micky-won with a headlock on Lucas and a Minnie Mouse who really shouldn't wear white cuz it makes her look fat.

PopnFresh
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Whatever Damon is, plus one.

Re: Disney buys Lucas. 3 more Star Wars films promised.

Postby PopnFresh » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:14 pm

I don't think there's much to worry about. The only reason Lucas even did the deal is because he saw what happened with Pixar and Marvel (and talking to higher ups he knew; Pixar was a splinter of ILM after all) and how Disney basically told those companies "you guys are good at what you do, so keep doing that." They're basically great as a parent company. Now, maybe that will change if they start losing a ton of money since they're a public company, but I really doubt that will happen. And for what it's worth, making new Star Wars movies was something that was planned (and announced internally) before they started working on this deal.
Poppin' up fresh, every time!
"Classic Wedge"

Tamayo
Captain
Captain

Postby Tamayo » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:35 am

I am always happy to have more Star Wars, but as a fan of the expanded universe (and lets not turn this thread into a debate about canon), I find the sequels to be a scary thought. I know they're most likely going to do whatever they want, and disregard any fiction from the non-film world. I really do hope they respect the fans who have been supporting them all these years buying all this other shit... but I'm sure that is too much to ask.
"Critics who treat adult as a term of approval cannot be adult themselves. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Feaduin
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Billions and billions eaten.

Postby Feaduin » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:48 am

My problem isn't new movies. My problem is new bad movies - ones that make no sense and just use FX as a crutch in place of compelling storytelling.

That and having to buy a resampled, re-remixed, re-re-re-mastered, the-way-I-really-meant-it-if-I-had-the-machine-that-goes-'BING!'-at-the-time, re-jaculated edition of the same damn movie.

Kiawah
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Drive fast, take chances

Postby Kiawah » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:53 am

Feaduin wrote:My problem isn't new movies. My problem is new bad movies - ones that make no sense and just use FX as a crutch in place of compelling storytelling.

Lucas isn't directing or writing the new movies. I don't think that'll be a huge problem.

My assumption is that it will have as much CGI, story, etc as any Marvel movie. I expect it to come with the same quality as say The Avengers, if not more so.

I'm pumped personally. I'm also a huge fan of the expanded universe, and while not completely true, most Star Wars things not done by Lucas is generally pretty awesome.

Kiawah
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Drive fast, take chances

Postby Kiawah » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:10 am

http://entertainment.nbcnews.com/_news/ ... books?lite

A little info on the new movie. Mostly that it won't have anything to do with the EU for post-Episode 6, it'll be completely original (with Lucas writing the treatments, but not directing or producing at all).

Return to “Off Topic”