Fractals of the Mist, shittiest dungeon ever

No monthly fee! *And there was much rejoicing...*
Kiawah
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Drive fast, take chances

Fractals of the Mist, shittiest dungeon ever

Postby Kiawah » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:30 pm

Fractals of the Mist (FOTM) is the new dungeon released as a part of Lost Shores. I've been running it daily so I thought I'd write up my experiences in it. Overall the dungeon is fun, but the key to it is the ascend gear. This guide is made such that you know what agony is, how much resistance do you need, and where to get it.

First off, agony is a new debuff that exists only in FOTM. It's an extra debuff you receive off various boss abilities that shows up as a red sun condition. The debuff takes 1/8 of your life per tick, and it does stack (so standing in red circles can get you multiple debuffs), however the length of agony varies among different bosses. Some boss abilities only give you agony for a second or two, others (like Jade Maw for example) can last 8-10s... meaning if you get it and dont get a heal off, you'll die.

You start receiving agony at FOTM level 10. It is possible to do level 10 without any agony resistance, however you will die more, by about level 12-13 though, agony resistance is a must-have. FOTM is divided into tiers, where levels 1-9 are tier 1, 10-18 are tier 2, 20-28 tier 3, etc. For tier #2, you only need +5 agony resists, which will make agony take 1/16th of your life, vs 1/8th. That means for tier #2, you only need one of the pieces, a.k.a. the back or ring. By tier #3, however, you need at least +10 resists, meaning you need at least two pieces. At level 20, you can get by with only +5, however like level 10, you will die, a lot.

The easiest way to get the +5 resists is to craft the first back piece (non-infused) which will give you +5 agony resists with the slot. The tricky part of getting the back piece is getting the Vial to drop. This can drop from any mob or chest within FOTM, however it's pretty rare to see. I've seen a total of 1 drop, in all my runs this week (probably about 20-25 runs in total). Once you get the vial, then you just need 250 of the highest tier crafting mats and 50 ectos, or you can craft the other one that takes 1350 relics. I opted to craft the Tome of the Rubicon, which ended up being about 15gp worth of mats.

Once you have the +5, you need to find another +5 in order to move into tier #3. One way of doing this is by crafting the infused version of the back (250 ectos), or getting a ring drop. The rings drop from the daily chest rewards after completing one of the even level FOTMs, starting at level 10. The rings are completely random. Almost always someone in a pug gets at least 1 ring, and I've seen some pug people claim they've gotten 2-3 drops, however out of my 8 daily runs so far, I've had 0 drops, so the drop rate isn't *that* high. The chest reward resets when all of the other dailies reset (7pm EST), so the easiest way to get a ring is to just do level 10 every day until you get a drop. Once you get this however, you're able to move into tier #3, and you'll repeat the same process in trying to get another +5 agony resists (level 20 daily reward drops the infused version of the rings). And really, if you get past tier #3, you're probably not pugging anymore and don't need a guide anymore.

Here's a complete list of the recipes for all of the items:
http://dulfy.net/2012/11/17/gw2-ascende ... n-recipes/

Here's a pretty good website to find groups as you make your way through the fractals (or Anet changes the retarded 1 level per run system of FOTM):
http://gw2lfg.com/

Sord
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: The Trev

Re: Fractals of the Mist, shittiest dungeon ever

Postby Sord » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:31 pm

In an AMA on Reddit they've said that they made a mistake with the gear acquisition in fractals and have stated that they should have had them from release with several ways to actually get the gear outside of the fractal itself. Personally I'm more than happy to take it slow and wait for a time where I can get my agony resistance from a karma vendor or crafted or at the end of a storyline via token, etc.

I do find it interesting how up in arms people are getting over this place and the stat gain and all that stuff. It is like that no other part of the game exists anymore and only consists of doing fractals or that all of a sudden they are unable to do anything the previously did without the new gear. It is shocking to hear, I know, but I've been able to do the same events out in the world without any of the new gear. I've also been able to WvW, sPvP, craft, explore, jumping puzzles, explorable dungeons and faff about Lion's Arch. I'm only on difficulty 4.
Bye space sword!

Munki
Custom Rank: Alouette, gentille Alouette

Postby Munki » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:43 pm

The only major issue I have with FotM is that with all the changes made to Karma and Gold drops to make dungeons more enticing, Orr has started getting less populated. Overall this is actually fantastic; it was vastly overcrowded before. Sure the popular Plinx and Pertinant chains can still be rather crowded, but it's nothing like it was.

However, that ended up causing another issue... getting Temples cleared has become insanely difficult and can be somewhat rare. And since those Karma vendors have unique stat combinations, this starts to get supremely irritating. I tried to get Grenth turned last night and we had... maybe 8-10 people there at most. It just wasn't enough. Keeper would die when Priest was at like 35% and we just couldn't stop it (not enough people to stop the Shades). And Grenth is one of the more popular temples! I'm sure Melandru and Lyssa are almost never popped.

I am super happy ANet is adding new content. I am glad they are giving more avenues to things in the game, and are trying to spread the population out. They just really need to stop and retune those old zones at some point, because every time they add new content I think they are going to exasperate this issue. FOTM is a great dungeon and I really enjoyed it (mostly casually, Ascended gear was a non factor for me) but it is a shame that it is harder to get other dungeon groups going. I see AC and CoF stuff, along with occasional HotW stuff pop up, but they are clearly the lesser dungeons.

And as I said before, I'm a bit disappointed by Agony in general. While it's not THAT horrible, since you still can do all of the Fractals content on Tier 1-9, gating kind of sucks. Even if it's only difficulty gating. But in the end it's not really affecting my playstyle. So I guess I should be grateful for that.
Space for Rent

Mentu
Drunken Pirate
Drunken Pirate
Custom Rank: Cool Guy
Guild: Grog of War

Postby Mentu » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:14 am

I heard a rumor the other day that later in the game the dragons might be giving the agony debuff, did anyone else see this rumor?

Kiawah
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Kiawah » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:52 am

My only real legitimate complain about fractals is not being able to replace group members mid-run, or being kicked out yourself if you disconnect. There absolutely is nothing more frustrating than being 2/3's into a run and losing 1-2 people and having to eek out a 3 man, or just giving up entirely. I cringe every time I'm doing Jade Maw and hit a lag spike.

Sord
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Sord » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:12 am

Yeah seriously, Barron. Even worse if it is your leader cause it kicks the entire party out. Depending on the situation, you may at least be able to 4 man the rest of a certain fractal but they really do need to make it so you can get replacements. I'm sure they will and I hope sooner rather than later.

Also, haven't heard anything about that Mentu but it is time to research!
Bye space sword!

Kiawah
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Kiawah » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:25 am

The only thing I know for certain is that ANet has specifically said that Agony is here to stay and that future PVE content will have Agony as a mechanic. So the ascend gear with Agony resistance will have uses outside of just this one fractal dungeon.

Making it even more important that they make it such that you can get the ascend gear outside of just fractals.

Kiawah
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Kiawah » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:43 am

What a frustrating weekend. Still no ring after 2 weeks now of dailies. Decided to start progressing higher in levels even without the resists, and had 5 pug groups that fell apart because of either someone disconnecting or someone rage quitting. Good times. Fix this ASAP please, this dungeon sucks.

Sord
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Sord » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:17 pm

I'm still surprised that there is a DC issue and that they haven't fixed the bullshit of not being able to invite other people in to the run midway through. They sure are dropping the ball on this one as far as technical difficulties.
Bye space sword!

Return to “Guild Wars 2”