Rape the Whirlwind! (Elementalist)

No monthly fee! *And there was much rejoicing...*
Sord
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: The Trev

Rape the Whirlwind! (Elementalist)

Postby Sord » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:00 am

So it is safe to say that my poor Norn is on the back burner because the playstyle of the D/D elementalist has me by the balls. I love the mobility, support and damage. I love jugging attunements. It reminds me a lot of stance dancing and the mobility warriors enjoyed in WoW.

I tried using staves and I just don't like them. I'm not a fan of all the ground targeted abilities. I probably would have liked it more before the Evasive Arcana nerf since you have several more combo fields to roll into. The build I came up with was a direct response to the nerf. I admit I loved giving the group a massive stack of might with well timed dodge roll blasts along with the #4 and 5 ability in earth attunement. With proper timing, I was able to give a 12 stack of might to everyone in the group. This new build I'm using can pull off a 9 stack of might and also gives auras to my party, with traits also give fury, swiftness and protection.

Here is the trait build - http://www.guildhead.com/skill-calc#mcs ... axGzVVsbVz This is mainly what I'm running in all of our dungeon runs. I'll discuss a few trait swaps for roaming PvE later below.

I started using Ether Renewal as my heal. It has a short cooldown (15s) and removes conditions as it ticks. Speaking of condition removal, that is also why I have Cleansing Fire for a utility. A small bonus of some AE burning for 3 seconds. Armor of Earth is fairly valuable to have as well as it provides stability and protection. I used to run Lightning Flash as my 3rd utility but I found that I actually didn't use it all that often. So instead I'm using Arcane Blast. With traits it is a reasonable cooldown (24s) where I can have it available for blasting my own Ring of Fire or any of the water combo fields we have (Hi Nicole! <3<3) I try to avoid blasting Damon's combo fields though cause they are poopy and worthless (retaliation blah)

I don't really care all that much about my elite. I usually forget to use it while in a dungeon. Sometimes I'll remember and drop a Fiery Greatsword for fun (and cause it looks cool) or I'll use the elemental summoning when I feel saucy. I probably should use that more often but oh well.

Using a majority of Carrion gear (Power/Condition Damage/Vitality) really feels like the way to go. Assuming you are juggling your auras fairly efficiently, you have a high uptime on fury, so you get a free 20% crit chance. I think I may have two Rampager rings. At any rate, I hover around 40% crit chance. A big portion of my damage comes from Drake's Breath and Churning Earth so having all the extra condition damage is nice. My crit will probably drop soon as I have some gems in two of my gear slots with precision on them because I hadn't decided on any other runes. I'm using 2 Water/Monk runes for the boon duration bonus so that leaves me with 2 slots to fill. I was considering the protection duration set but they are expensive.

As far as traits go, you can juggle things around a bit depending on what you are doing. The one I swap around the most is the first trait in the water line. Cleansing wave is great for dungeons (more condition removal) but while doing non-dungeon PvE I often swap to Soothing Disruption, which makes your cantrips give regen and vigor. Another place you can change things up a bit is the second arcane trait. If you're not doing a bunch of blasts in combo fields, you could pick Renewing Stamina to get vigor on critical hits. Since I have lowish crit%, I tend to not bother with it much. You could also use Glyph of Storms in conjunction with the Quick Glyphs trait in Air but you lose out on your auras applying swiftness and fury. Glyph of Storms in earth attunement is pretty great as it is a 5s pulsing AE blind. I usually swap out Cleansing Fire if I want to use it and just deal with its cooldown (60s).

So basically you get 3 of the 4 blast finishers you had before they nerfed Evasive Arcana along with providing your group with protection, swiftness and fury along with 5s of chill armor and 5s of stunning your enemy when they attack, along with a pretty boost in damage from the Bountiful Power trait (2% damage increase for each boon on you) and an extra +100 vitality/healing compared to using Evasive Arcana. You do lose out on 10% more boon duration and 20% more attunement cooldown (9s vs 11s) but since Evasive Arcana is essentially worthless now, I think the above is a fine compromise.
Bye space sword!

Sord
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: The Trev

Re: Rape the Whirlwind! (Elementalist)

Postby Sord » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:21 am

I changed my build around a bit. They fixed the blast finisher for Evasive Arcana in earth attunement so it actually does the blast. I took 10pts from the earth tree and put those back into Arcane. I think the difference ends up being a flavor choice between giving out ~8s worth of protection when chaining your 2 auras and 100 toughness/cond dmg or having 10% boon duration, 20% more cooldown reduction on attunement swaps and finally your various finishers with Evasive Arcana.

I ran some dungeons today and the playstyle is damn near identical. The biggest difference is learning to use the various finishers again in Evasive Arcana. I can now get the 12 stacks of might for ~20s for the group with 4 blasts with good timing. The water finisher is Cleansing Wave, which removes a condition and does the AE heal, same as the offhand dagger ability. What makes this significant is that it is only on a 10s cooldown, with the attunement cooldown taken into consideration as well. The regular cooldown on the weapon ability is a lot higher (I think in the realm of 30-45s, I can't recall offhand). I almost never intentionally use the fire and air dodge for their effects offensively. AE blind can be pretty good though and the fire one adds 5s of AE burning, I just tend to value those a lot less since most stuff I'm fighting is already burning for a long duration and 5s of blind usually isn't worth the endurance. I'm considering changing out Armor of Earth since I am not using it as often as I thought. The times I DO use it seem fairly critical though, so we'll see. I might swap in mist form instead for 3s of invuln.

Personally for the group I run with, I think this is a better build for me. We tend to have a lot of protection being tossed around already (might too). Being able to do the various dodge finishers along with the extra boon duration and attunement cooldown seems to be a better fit.
Bye space sword!

Return to “Guild Wars 2”