Lost Shores Info

No monthly fee! *And there was much rejoicing...*
Munki
Custom Rank: Alouette, gentille Alouette

Lost Shores Info

Postby Munki » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:58 am

So, for the few of us left that visit the site and still play, here is some info on the Lost Shores content launching this weekend.

• Fractals of the Mists End Game dungeon added. This new dungeon is aimed a little more towards level 80, although it is a rare case of sidekicking UP being allowed. It is tuned for level 80 stats / skills, but you CAN go earlier than 80 and get sidekicked up. It'll be more challenging, but it's possible.

This is a pretty novel dungeon. When you enter, you will play 3 random 'mini dungeons' in a row (out of 9 total in the game) that have to do with past events in GW lore. After you complete these 3 you will return to the hub. At this point you can either leave or continue on through another 3 random mini dungeons. However, each time you return to the hub, the difficulty slider goes up by 1. This makes the events and dungeons harder. It also saves your progress, so when you return to the dungeon you can start at the highest obtained difficulty level shared by your group.

You earn 5 Fractal Relics at the end of each Mini Dungeon. These can be spent at a vendor in the Hub as well as used in the Mystic Forge. Some pretty cool loot is on the Vendor, like 20 slot bags, items used for Legendaries, and gear.

• Level 80 zone. A new level 80 zone is being added. All I can say is THANK GOD. From what I'm reading, there are no mob mechanics like the "Pull" from the Risen Subjugators. And overall Mob Density is lower. However many enemies are freaking rough apparently. The Karkas are here, and Veterans sound really difficult. There is a much larger mob variety though, which is great. The real challenge here though is apparently Event Density is MUCH higher than Orr. The previews I read said you can expect Dynamic Events to happen constantly here, making it feel far more chaotic. It is also confirmed that Oriachalim and Ancient Wood spawns here. So prepare for those mat prices to go down as supply goes even higher than it is now!

• Ascended Armor. This is the new tier above Exotic. It is where all the controversy is springing from. These are about 8% better than Exotic gear, but do NOT have gem slots. The normal stats you would get from a gem are baked directly in to the armor. This means the armor is NOT customizable the way Exotic is. There is an upgrade slot for Infusions, which is required to counteract Agony... a new mob DOT type that does disgusting amounts of damage in the higher difficulties of the new dungeons. You will need this in order to progress deeper in the Fractals dungeon. In this update we are getting Ascended armor for 2 slots... Rings and Backpacks.

• Supposedly around 200 new crafting recopies included. That's all I know on this subject, supposedly we have a new gatherable mat which will be used in these

• Of course there is the live events this weekend too. And new items in the Gem Store. Supposedly Weapon Skins, Costumes, and Minipets.

My personal take on all this;

Not a huge fan of Ascended Armor. However, provided they roll it out properly over time, provide multiple avenues on how to get these, and don't keep adding new tiers... I'm ok with it. It'll just be a new goal for me to work towards.

The new dungeon sounds fantastic. Seriously... this is a GREAT new dungeon for the game. It's modular too, meaning they could easily slip new content in to it. I love dungeons that explore past lore for the game too, it's something I *loved* about Caverns of Time in WoW.

The new level 80 zone is a VERY necessary addition. God I was so sick of how crowded Orr was. Hopefully this helps spread the population out a bit and make doing events actually viable again.

Overall; This new patch sounds fantastic. Lets hope it actually is fantastic.

/edit/ I forgot: A new sPvP map is being added too. This one is supposedly "More Vertical in Nature" which seems like an interesting new addition to the map rotation. I know most of us don't do much sPvP though, which is probably why I forgot all about this in my original post.
Space for Rent

Munki

Re: Lost Shores Info

Postby Munki » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:04 am

For those of you that have stopped playing (Mostly looking at you Feaduin and Skrew), do you think a content patch like this is enough to see you return for awhile?
Space for Rent

Kiawah
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Drive fast, take chances

Postby Kiawah » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:03 am

Any idea how long the 3 random mini dungeons take? The biggest reason I've stuck with GW2 is that I'm able to get the majority of my gear via crafting (meaning I don't need to raid), and even when that's done I can go for the dungeon skins, and currently most explorable paths only take 15-20 minutes to complete per run. So I don't have any progression stalls because of lack of time.

My fear is that each of these 3 mini dungeons still take 20-30 minutes per, pushing dungeon runs (even the easier ones) into the 1-2 hour per dungeon (and then groups that want to run multiple of those). That'll be a huge change to their current progression design.

Hopefully, even if this is the case, it won't take a ton of runs to get the ascend gear you'd need.

Munki

Postby Munki » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:12 am

Supposedly it will take 15-30 minutes per shard (so 45-1.5 hours per run). You get loot for each shard as well.

I agree, it'll definitely impact your ability to get Ascended loot if you can't spend about an hour in the dungeon. The difficulty you get is saved, and you can start on that difficulty later (assuming everyone in the group has gotten to at least that level). Getting Ascended gear seems like it can be a rarer drop in each shard (with a higher chance occuring in the Jade Maw 'major boss' fight after the 6th shard). It also seems like it can be done through Mystic Forge with Gifts of Ascension, which will take a pretty large number of runs to get. In short, expect Ascended gear to take a pretty big investment over Exotic. It is intended to be a bridge between Exotic and Legendary in terms of Time constraints.

I'll be honest, you will probably have a tough time getting your Ascended gear if you can only sit down for 30 minutes or so. If you can spend about an hour though, it's going to be possible, it'll just take awhile.

The thing to keep in mind is, the Ascended stuff really is ONLY needed for deep Fractal dungeon progression. It would be like trying to get Hard Mode 25 man gear, when all you normally do is 5 man content in WoW. If you just don't have the time to be able to meet the Fractals constraints, then Ascended gear is completely uneeded.

Is getting about an hour to run the fractals occasionally really out of the picture for you? I realize you couldn't do it every day, but if this is a long term goal / playing for the content, it doesn't seem TOO unreasonable to get an hour or 2 of playtime once or twice a week?
Space for Rent

Kiawah
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Kiawah » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:59 pm

Yeah I can probably find a few hours per week to do it, but that's not the point. The point is that the appeal of GW2 is that no matter what your playstyle, you're able to find BiS gear doing it... whether that's WvW, dungeons, or solo play through crafting. If they make it such that this new gear has better stats than exotic gear and exotic gear is no longer BiS, you're no longer able to progress in this way... you have to do this dungeon. That's a huge change in the structure of progression of GW2.

My hope is that the gear doesn't have any stat change at all except adding this additional stat, which you only need for this one dungeon. However, if they start changing the stat allocation (even a tiny amount), it will be an actual tier of new gear (only obtainable through this 1 dungeon), and not just something in for novelty sake. I don't mind having additional tiers of gear, but I wouldn't want GW2 to lose that flexibility.

Kiawah
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Kiawah » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:08 pm

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/i ... er-15-2012

patch notes are up

Looks like Guardians survive another patch!

Also, I noticed a lot of nerfs that were "PvP only" which is pretty nice.

Munki

Postby Munki » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:36 pm

It is a full on new tier. That is already known. It has approx. 8% better stats overall, but it does not have the same flexibility exotic gear has (no rune / gem slots to customize your stat balance).

For now it's only Back / Rings. Thankfully they didn't roll it all out at once so they have time to mess with things and make sure it is ok. They did say they intend for the gear to be available in different ways, although for now we only have it available in the dungeon and mystic forge (which is speculated to take drops from the dungeon anyway).

As I said initially I'm not a huge fan. But it doesn't even come close to ruining the game for me. Even though it's true that it is BiS, it won't affect your PvE play in the slightest outside of the new dungeon. I am hoping they don't really screw the pooch in their implementation of the rest of the tier (armor / weapons / remaining jewlery), but that is far enough out from here that it's not worth getting upset or alarmed over yet.
Space for Rent

Munki

Postby Munki » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:01 pm

Did anyone get to do the Live Event? I watched a stream of it, looked neat but was also not something I feel bad missing.

I've been watching some people do Fractals stuff, and it looks pretty awesome. I'm really looking forward to hearing what the Relic drop rate is like in higher difficulties.
Space for Rent

Munki

Postby Munki » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:16 am

So, after this weekends implementation of the new zone / dungeon / live event, here are my thoughts.

The Live Event
Good in concept, horrible in execution. Sadly, I think Arena Net really screwed up with the live event :/

• Lag was insane... there were just too many players and mobs crammed in a small area. These localized large events are just not possible on this engine (or probably any engine).

• Reinforcement phases were easily 50% too long. Seriously, 30 minutes of fighting these mobs got really old fast. And having to do it a second time? Longer does not mean better. The things in between the reinforcement phases were fun, but they really needed to tune those better. Waves and Waves of level 84 mobs just took too damn long to be any real fun.

• Reward Chest should not have had Legendary Precursor's in it. I am happy for the people that good precursors (Korthos is the winner here, he got a 130g rifle one!). This is not a "waaaah I didn't get a Precursor" point. I just think they were too valuable to come out of the chest. And considering multiple people got precursor's, it really seemed to be a fairly high drop rate (comparatively). I guess the upside is that this will flood that market a bit, but it really felt like TOO good a reward for a one time event. 2 random (non precursor) exotics + the accessory + the 20 slot bag + 2 random rares seemed like a very appropriate reward. If I couldn't do the event, and found out that I had a better than normal chance to get a precursor from it, I would have been PISSED.

• They really need to make these weekend events repeat over the course of a weekend. Just have a special instanced zone that pops up ever 3-4 hours (heralds in Lions Arch can call out that the assault on Southsun Cove is beginning, and you talk to an npc to go to the "Assault on the Cove" version of the zone). That way they have the best chance of everyone in all time zones having a fair shot of doing it

Southsun Cove

I really like this zone... it's very pretty and I actually really like the Karka mobs so far. The mobs in this zone are actually a real challenge to fight, but in a good way. Not like the Risen who just feel a little irritating, and are only challenging because sometimes mob density can get really high.

I need to see how event density works out now that the event is over. On Saturday night, there were just not enough events happening in the zone to make it worth doing over Orr. I like the events to break up the flow of just fighting mobs, and it felt like they were too few between. I'm really hoping this changes now that we 'control' the island and hoping new events pop up. We will see.

The zone has promise though, and it's nice that there is a new level 80 zone to help take some pressure off Orr.

Fractals of the Mists
For me, the star of the update. There are some small issues to be ironed out so far, but this was easily the most fun dungeon I've done so far. The different fractals are damn fun. The rewards are pretty decent. I like trying to get my difficulty level higher, like a high score or something. The time investment can be a LITTLE high, but I still had a lot of fun.

They need to fix a few things though;
  • You NEED to be able to get people in to your fractal after it's started. Replacing a member, or if someone DC's is something you have to account for. We had the person who was the first to zone in leave on the 3rd fractal, and it caused all of us to get booted out to LA. Didn't even get the chance to 4 man it (and it was the underwater one, an easy one). That needs to be fixed.

• I hear that you dont' start getting more relics until you get to level 10. I think they need to have better scaling of relic loot if that's the case. Some of the rewards are incredibly expensive if you are going to be only getting 15 relics per level. I think at Level 5 at least, you should see a relic increase (maybe 10 per fractal) and then again at Level 10. But this is only based on what I heard, not personal experience yet

• I'm sure there needs to be a little tuning. Some events take much longer than others. For example, the Colossus fractal is amazing (my second favorite so far) but it also appears to take longer than the rest. Just more travel time required slows it down. I've heard the Dredge one also takes longer than many others.

All in all this was a great free update to the game. I feel they still need to do some work on the content they added to really get it right, but it's all a great ground work for improving the game.

I didn't touch the sPvP map so I can't comment on that though.
Space for Rent

Sord
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: The Trev

Postby Sord » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:23 pm

It feels almost as if they constantly underestimate the popularity of their own game. People show up en masse to do these events and then they break in various ways because of the massive amounts of people around. Getting rolled on by an invisible crab with NO way of avoiding it cause you couldn't see the mother fucker coming at you was annoying. As was the giant puddles of damn near instant death poison that you couldn't see under the various other particle effects from all the other players.

I'm not really sure what to suggest. I think the events would have been fantastic if not bogged down by the huge amount of people participating in them. Figure out a way to spread the population out a bit more. At least for the one time events. Personally I don't think that they have to cater to the people that have other shit scheduled for these things. Everyone everywhere has other obligations and that is just how the shit splatters. Sometimes you miss an event, sometimes you can participate. Anet shouldn't have to cater to me just cause I happen to work on a specific day. Thems the breaks.

I like the direction they are heading with the events. They are interesting and fun. They just have some major mechanical issues to work out first.
Bye space sword!

Kiawah
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Kiawah » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:09 pm

I skipped the event completely. I don't care what the rewards are, one time events that only happen on one day I'll never do.

What Fractals has done is even funnier than the gear tier though, this is LA now:
LF3M FotM lvl 3
LFG Fractal lvl 5
GLF1M fotm lvl 10
lfg fotm lvl 7

It's not 1 dungeon, it's 10. Completely splits up the player base because people only want to do their highest level.

Sord
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: The Trev

Postby Sord » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:58 pm

It was an annoying and yet brilliant move to place the dungeon portal inside of Lion's Arch in lieu of an actual LFG system. Since most people do their LFG spam while in LA, it is kind of convenient for the dungeon to be right there. Of course that means constant overflow for LA at all hours of the day which can be rather irritating but oh well.

I do agree that the fractals are splitting up the playerbase in a bad way. But I think eventually the problem will solve itself. Over time a lot more people will reach the higher levels and if it is going too slowly, than the higher level folks will either have to do the lower level stuff or just not play. Sadly I think it will lead to more of the "not play" part and then a bunch of complaining. At least once people reach the level 10 difficulty, people will be willing to at least go down and do that since you can get a daily reward with possibility of one of the new fancy rings. So even if you're at level 20, you'll come down and join the rest of the scrubs at level 10 for your daily chest.
Bye space sword!

Return to “Guild Wars 2”