What are we getting in the October update?

No monthly fee! *And there was much rejoicing...*
Munki
Custom Rank: Alouette, gentille Alouette

What are we getting in the October update?

Postby Munki » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:53 am

So, today the first phase of the October update is going live.

I've been reading around as there are a number of previews up today. It sounds like we are getting a LOT of new stuff today. And this is only on the PvE front! PvP is getting Paid Tournaments, which is a big deal.

Ok, so I'll break this down in to two sections; Halloween content (limited time) and Permanent Content.

Halloween Content;
This is fairly vague still, but this is what we DO know.

• New Halloween Weapon Skins. It looks like there are two ways to get this, but it is NOT clear on the details. The first is that these 6 skins will randomly be found in Black Lion Trading Chests. They will be in there for the duration of the halloween event. Another known way is that there is a vendor who sells skins for Candy Corn fragments (more on that in a sec). However, someone noticed a timer listed... so these versions may be Temporary skins only, while the gambling chests are permanant versions.

• Candy Corn! There will be Candy Corn resource nodes located around ... I think the whole world, although I'm not clear on that. These can be mined and will yield fragments of candy corn. I think there are 3 things to do with these that are known; Holiday Cooking recipies, Purchasing skins as mentioned above, and consuming them. Consuming them will work through an achievement, just like a Title track in GW1 it sounds like.

• Mad King story. We'll get Act 1 of this today, which involves the Durmand Priory investigating a strange energy signature found in Tyria. Takes place in 4 acts, theoretically climaxes with the return of the Mad King and a live event.

• This one is a bit assumed, but DE's themed around the Holiday.

• Costumes and Costume Brawl. This is a little different than GW1... you'll be able to get turned in to random costumes (Ghosts, Mummies, Candy Golems are what I've seen in the preview videos so far), all which have abilities. These abilities work on other people who are costumed. So you can have impromptu brawls anywhere (there is a Cauldron above the mystic forge in LA that will turn you in to a costume there as well as you can find / buy costume items that have limited uses). I believe there will also be a mini game arena type place where you can go do Costume Brawl as well, for a central location to find fights

• Live Event? on Sunday afternoon. They had a cryptic response of "you'll want to be around on Sunday during the day to see what we have in store" or something to that effect.

Ok, so that's the HOLIDAY stuff. What will we see that should be permanent additions to the game?

• Jumping Puzzles! Supposedly they added a bunch of new puzzles throughout the world, along with the requisite achievements for them. It sounds like we could see as many as 15-20 Jumping puzzles, many which now feature a 'checkpoint' system that will make it so that if you fall you won't die and have to start all the way at the beginning.

• Dynamic Events! There are supposedly 30-40 new events and chains being added throughout the world! They are getting a little more creative with them it sounds like as well. For example:

Spoiler: show
    For those who like to hunt around in every corner of Tyria, the Skritt Burglar challenges should be a nice surprise. Occasionally you’ll come across chests that may contain treasure or a Skritt creature with a giant pack on its back. The Skritt will then take off and scurry across the landscape, and, similar to how the treasure goblin works in Diablo III, you’ll need to chase and try to kill him before he escapes. Chasing is a risk, though, because the Burglar will run right through packs of enemies, and if you stop to fight that means he’s only getting further away

• New DE Mechanics. This seems like a huge deal to me. They are moving forward with building 'layers' on many of these new DE's (and hopefully will apply this to past ones as we move on as well). The idea is, when events scale upwards, they won't just 'spawn more badguys' like we get now. Instead they will actually create layers based on population thresholds to better balance them for groups of players. For example:

Spoiler: show
    If you’re alone, initially you’ll fight off waves of their minions before challenging one of the members of the guild directly. Each member will have unique boss-like attack patterns in order to force you to move around and use your skills intelligently. If a lot of players gather around the event’s structure switches. Instead of fighting the guild members one at a time, you’ll fight all four at once, making for a more chaotic and difficult encounter.

So, the more guys means we'll have a different boss encounter, one that can be handled by a larger group of enemies.

• New Mini Dungeons! I don't know exactly how many, but two have been mentioned so far; One in Dredgehaunt Cliffs and the other in Fireheart Ridge. The one in Fireheart Ridge is "inspired by an MC Escher painting" and supposedly has a boss encounter that will have you platforming and fighting at the same time.

• New 'enemy faction'. There is a new enemy faction being added to the game, which will be the focus of a lot of these new events. They are the Modus Sceleris, a guild who is intent on harassing adventures for some reason. Not a lot of info on them yet though.

• Karma Changes! Daily Achievements, Monthly Achievements, and Dungeons will all reward Karma now! That means you have a host of places you can do activities and still earn Karma! No more Plinx runs till you want to shove his head up his Golems exhaust port! I'm sure you'll still get the best Karma / hr farming in Orr, but the point is now you'll gain Karma doing other activities. Should make things like Dungeon running more attractive.

• Finally, they stated they reworked and improved the rewards you'll get from Mini Dungeons and Jumping Puzzles (basically world based chests) to be more valuable, making these a much bigger draw than they are now.

I am sure we'll also see some patch notes that outline some of this as well as any other changes. All in all, a pretty great first content patch it sounds like.

They still obviously have a lot to work on (cough cough WvW and server xfers as well as bots) but this is a pretty great showing for their Live World and Live Event teams.
Space for Rent

Munki

Re: What are we getting in the October update?

Postby Munki » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:03 pm

Also a PSA!

Don't open up your BL Chests with your banked keys today! Wait a day or two, supposedly the chests won't get the new skins until the 23rd.

There is no confirmation of this that I saw, but there is no harm in waiting to be sure.

Also, anyone who is interested in the skins, here is a solid way to farm keys...

make a new human character, War or Ranger. Ranger with short bow. pick commoner when you pick your story line. Then just do the story mission as fast as you can till lvl 10. After beating lvl 10 story you get a key. The more you do it the faster you can complete it. It takes me about 35 minutes to beat lvl 10 story and get the key.
Space for Rent

Kiawah
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Drive fast, take chances

Postby Kiawah » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:11 pm

Yeah, their sunday event will probably be at midnight PST on Sunday too. I hate events that last only 1 day, you completely miss out if you can't play that one time.

Otherwise, everything looks awesome! Can't wait for the karma and de mechanic changes.

Munki

Postby Munki » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:17 pm

Actually the post specifically said "Daytime Sunday".

I do agree with you on one day events though. It seems stupid that they aren't going to have things run on Saturday AND Sunday for the finale events.
Space for Rent

Kiawah
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Kiawah » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:45 pm

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/g ... post480873

That will be a pretty nice change too, but after Halloween

Sord
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: The Trev

Postby Sord » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:53 pm

Cool. I may start doing dragon events again. They are amazing but the reward isn't really enough to do multiple farmings in a generally laggy event.
Bye space sword!

Munki

Postby Munki » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:22 pm

Hey guys, since there’s been a lot of questions, here’s the deal with the weapon skins. Basically there are two types of weapons for this event:

• Craftable – There are a number of weapons that can be crafted from materials that come from Halloween content. They are exotic and they have their own stats. You can craft these at any time of the year, but there are certain components that will only drop during Halloween. Since these weapons are really cool, we allow you to rent them from an in-game vendor in Lion’s Arch. They’re pretty cheap (you can buy them without paying gold) and yes, they expire in four hours. Basically, everyone will have a chance to get in the spirit of the season. To that effect, these weapons have auto-scaling stats but you can’t transmute them. For those of you who want to stay “festive” all year round, you’ll have to delve in the content and put the weapons together.

• Purchasable Skins – These are available in the Black Lion Chests. They are a one-time use skin that you can apply to anything, I believe, and from there transmute that appearance to something else if you need to. You cannot rent these from that vendor in Lion’s Arch.

There’s also a bunch more gear, goodies, and crafting recipes to be discovered in the content itself!
Space for Rent

Munki

Postby Munki » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:10 pm

Had good fun doing the Costume Brawl last night. I beat up Mentu and Ryan at one point tee hee. I think I'm gonna buy the Witch Costume tonight, just so I can use the cauldron to let people have fun costume brawls at any time.

There is an awful lot of complaining over the costume skins... while I can understand the anger and frustration over the skins being rare, I also find that, like everything concerning gamers and the internet, it's being blown WAY out of proportion. People are claiming they dropped over a hundred dollars on keys and got no skins in return. While I guess that could be true, I'm willing to bet not many people dropped 100 bucks on a holiday event. Certainly a lot less people than are claiming they did.

The skins are cool... at least the Staff, Shield, Greatsword, and 1h Sword are. But none of them are cool enough to warrant all the crying over a god damned vanity weapon skin.

I had fun finding haunted doors last night, I'm almost done with my Monthly candy corn achievement. I'm debating if I'll try and get the recipie for the Gift of Souls (for the craftable staff) but that requires about 18ish gold for Elonian Wine... so I don't think I have the time to farm up all the items needed AND the gold. Which is fine, I can get it next year.

Gonna do the Scavanger hunt tonight to get my book backpack skin. I'm also pretty pumped to see how things progress in the Acts, and the eventual clocktower jump puzzle to be added.

All in all... I'm very satisfied with the Holiday events.
Space for Rent

Munki

Postby Munki » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:58 am

I just had to share this (in the thread where I"m basically talking to myself).

They couple days leading up to Halloween had speculators trying to corner markets they thought would be a huge player in the holiday festivities on the Trading Post. A couple food items had their name visible in preview screens / videos, as well as the Black Lion Chests being known to have stuff in them.

So, what happened to those speculations? Did any of them pay off? I went to gw2spidy.com to check.

• Sugar Pumpkins - My favorite speculator failure. Checking the history of the item reveals the following;
    A couple days ago the price started it's crazy climb, hitting about 1 silver the day before the event, and spiking at 1s20c on Tuesday in the early AM (aka not long after the event started). It then SHARPLY fell as it was realized there was no real demand for the item and has now crashed to 25 copper or so. Keep in mind, historically this item has been hovering around 70c since practically release.

• Strawberries - Another grand speculation failure, but not as fantastic as the Pumpkins.
    It had an almost 200% price hike leading up to the event as speculators gobbled up as much as they could. It went from a Historic 40c to around 75c before the event. It spiked as well on Tuesday in the early AM at 1silver. It then crashed the next day and is now back to near it's original price at around 35-38c.

• Black Lion Chest
    These spiked WAY early, as the info that Halloween items would be in them was some of the first news we had. They went from their historic price of 2-3 copper up to 30 copper for a HUGE 1000% spike, as speculators gobbled them up, buying up 2/3rds of the suplly (1.5 million to .5 million on the TP in a matter of days). It then had a dip leading up to the event as some got cold feet and tried to offload. However it spiked again right before the event. Of course, the idiots never stopped to think that the cockblock was the key, not the chest. Anyway, 2 days in to the event, the price has crashed back down to the 2c a chest price.

Anyway, I found the above fun to track. People in MMO's need to realize that just because there will be a new use for an item doesn't mean that said item was going to be highly desirable. Just because there was going to be a pumpkin based Halloween recipe doesn't mean that recipie would do anything we'd care about!

The only real gamble that paid off was the Gem market. Smart people realized that there was a lot of gold floating around the economy due to people farming for awhile and stockpiling money. And that every holiday event is going to add items to the Gem Store and that those items will be potentially valuable to players. Gem prices spiked to a record high of 1g20silver per 100 gems on the first night of the event. It's since fallen to 85s per 100 now, which is still 25s higher per 100 than before the event. People who invested in Gems 2-3 weeks ago were able to turn that around and sell it for a healthy profit.
Space for Rent

Feaduin
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Billions and billions eaten.

Postby Feaduin » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:09 am

Well they are called speculators for a reason. Like a real stock market, it's always going to be a calculated risk. What is so unusual about this sort of behavior? Other than it manifesting in an MMO?

Munki

Postby Munki » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:23 am

Oh nothing is unusual about it. It's just fun to watch the market fluctuate, especially when you have an inkling beforehand that the speculators are completely miscalling it. I had a feeling the Sugar Pumpkin (and ESPECIALLY the strawberry and black lion chest) investments were bad and not going to pay off. I was almost tempted while the price was hiking up to throw mine up there to profit off the speculators (I ultimately didn't because I wanted to hold on to my crafting mats, as I plan on doing cooking for my ele).

It's just fun to watch and laugh at the people who really didn't think things through, just saw the word "Pumpkin" on a recipe in a preview and go on a buying spree.
Space for Rent

Omoran
Drunken Pirate
Drunken Pirate

Postby Omoran » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:23 pm

Too bad we can't short sell on items. The BLC chest people were gobbling up I so wished I could of short sell them as I knew the price was going to crash once idiots stopped gobbling them up. I did sell the 200 I had when it peaked.
Roster images are broken. I need a new sig!

Munki

Postby Munki » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:27 am

So now that we've seen the vast majority of the Halloween event, what do people think of it?

My opinion; This is probably the best Holiday event I've played in an MMO yet. I'm actually blown away by just how much content they worked in to this.

Now that we've got Acts 1-3 (4 will probably add some but it's not expected to add a ton of content, as it's supposed to only last about a day or two, basically the party celebrating the defeat of the Mad King), this is what we've got so far;

• 2 Scavenger Hunts that give some lore on the Mad King to flesh him out a bit more. Also rewards a cool backpack that looks like a book. The 'upgraded' version you get from the second Scavenger Hunt is level 80 stats and looks like it's on fire. Very cool.
  • A Jumping Puzzle. People are very polarized on this. I personally really liked it. Fast and Challenging, and you feel like you REALLY accomplished something when you reach the top. Also looked damn cool.
  • Costume Brawl. A fun diversion, but ultimately very very casual. I think the Foam Sword rack is a great comparison from WoW. Technically this is not Halloween related (it's staying after) but it ties in so well with the holiday I added it here. One issue keeping it from being more than a 'fun distraction' is the fact that some costumes are overpowered as hell. But it's just for shits and giggles, I mean it has big POW and KOs flying all over the place while doing it.
  • PvP Minigame: Reavers Rumble is basically MOBA-lite... I had a blast doing this. You try and snag pumpkins to spawn skeletons which will attack your opponents Mausoleum (which are guarded by tough pve mobs). You have multiple lanes, some with tall grass/corn that makes you invisible until you attack.
  • PvP Minigame: Lunatic Court which is basically a VS. survival game. One side is Villagers who have no real combat abilities. They can pick up stuff to lay traps for the Ghost team, as well as do events to spawn mobs to distract / attack the ghosts. They can also stealth for short periods of time, but can't move while doing so. The ghosts have potent offense, but move a bit slower than the Villagers. When a Villager dies, they come back as a ghost. If the Villagers can stay alive for the full time limit, they win. Otherwise ghosts win. Really fun and exciting.
  • Limited Skins from BLC, which have caused all manner of forum whining. 3 craftable, halloween exotics which can be made at any time, provided you learn the recipe before the event ends (I have the mats to learn the staff, but haven't bought the vendor stuff needed yet. I'll do that later when I have more gold)
  • Ascension to Madness, the big boss fight dungeon against the Mad King Oswald Thorn. This was a SUPER fun dungeon/fight I thought. It had some silly humor that I expect from the Mad King, was a fun fight (although not super challenging, it is intended for all levels after all), and it ends with a chest that has a decent chance of providing an exotic as loot. Very fun fight I thought.
  • The Mad Kings Labyrinth, which is a great place to get some of the Halloween achievements as it's full of Halloween enemies, candy corn nodes, pumpkins to carve... and some large group events that you can once again get exotics from the chest occasionally.

Man. TONS of stuff. I really have enjoyed this holiday, and we still have an Act to go (even if it's probably going to be a small act). I feel they really set the bar high with this. The content was really fun and there was a good amount of it. Great atmosphere as well, which is to be expected from their Art team.
Space for Rent

Sord
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: The Trev

Postby Sord » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:32 pm

I loved/hated the clock tower. It is a GREAT jumping puzzle. I just tend to have very little patience for learning them. I get super frustrated with myself when I continually fail. Especially if I fail at an early part that I've mastered for the past hour. That is my own failing though and not a bad game design.

I really liked the Mad King fight. I hope they add more fights like that in the future where you have several phases and have to move to different areas to continue the battle. That was a lot of fun.

The scavenger hunt was really good for the lore nerd in me. I'm happy to say we figured out the first act all on our own. The second act I ran out of time and just said screw it and looked up a guide. Not that it really mattered. All that info will be on the wiki and I can look it up any time I like. It is just a neat feeling to say I figured this out on my own.
Bye space sword!

Kiawah
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Kiawah » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:50 am

Compared to the headless horseman in Scarlet Monastery over, and over, and over the MK event was super awesome. WoW's holiday events were pretty good in the beginning, but eventually achievements ruined it (and everything else). They eventually just turned into a check list of "ok did this achievement, ok did this achievement", and were pretty stale and boring.

I liked GW2's event the most because I didn't feel like I was required to do all of it. I just did the parts that came at me when I came across them. I definitely appreciate all of the new content they added for this, honestly will be sad to see LA go back to normal. It's a real testament to the amount of quality and detail that ANet puts into content, and that's huge.

Also, another supposedly big content release in the middle of Nov.

Munki

Postby Munki » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:44 am

Yup, supposedly as soon as the Halloween stuff goes away we will start to see some new World Events that will set the stage for the big content push in November.

Speculation time!

So there was some 'leaked' info about the November update awhile back, it was pretty vague and of course who knows if it's valid. But one of the things it mentioned was "world events that lead up to uncovering a new evil" and another point was a "new island zone".

So with these in mind, my speculation is this; if the leak is on the level, I could see that island zone actually being a part of the Isle of Janthir... a place we now know as the home of the Mursaat. That would make the 'new evil' the return of the Mursaat, who have been nursing their wounds since their crushing defeat 250 years ago. It could just be wishful thinking, but I'd love to see the Mursaat return in GW2, possibly siding with the elder dragons to take revenge on the races of Tyria that completely punked them in Prophecies.
Space for Rent

Kiawah
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Kiawah » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:39 am

Really need to brush up on my GW lore (maybe watch those videos from start to finish from that one dude), no idea who any of those people are

Munki

Postby Munki » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:39 pm

Mursaat are the villains in Prophecies (the original campaign). They were kind of a 'mysterious' race though, because we really knew nothing about them aside from their capabilities and a little bit of their motivation. They manipulated humans (the White Mantle) who worshipped them as a form of god. After the players kind of screw their plan up, which gets a huge amount of them killed, they flee and disappear, and have not really been heard of much since. However ANet revealed during the build up to GW2 that their home island was the Isle of Janthir.

Anyway, my speculation (which is probably off) is just that the Mursaat could return, although more as 'henchmen' to the Elder dragons maybe. And that the 'new island' would be the Isle of Janthir.
Space for Rent

Return to “Guild Wars 2”