Profession Builds (Mesmer)

No monthly fee! *And there was much rejoicing...*
Munki
Custom Rank: Alouette, gentille Alouette

Profession Builds (Mesmer)

Postby Munki » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:04 am

I wanted to do a write up like Rocketdog did for her Necromancer, because I am *loving* my Mesmer. As a class, the Mesmer gives a fantastic amount of utility for group play, along with a surprisingly high level of survival. You also can do a lot of strong control, all without sacrificing too much damage. That said, your damage output will probably not beat out something like a Ranger, but your value comes in other ways.

First off, the build I'm currently aiming for;
BUILD

Weapons
Greatsword. This is my primary weaponset... it is also a very diverse weapon for the Mesmer after the recent buff to bring it on par with the other weapons. You get a fairly good Single Target long range attack, some good buff/debuffs, an AoE clone, and a good knockback (great for interrupting non bosses). The best way to use it is to move to 'mid' range, hit your number 2 skill, then drop back to long range to get the most damage from your #1.

Sword/Focus. Sword mainhand is amazing. Yes, it is melee with a low HP class, but the #2 skill is possibly the best skill in the game. It's like a Hundred Blades swing (shorter and overall lower damage, but still great damage) that makes you invincible while it's channeling. This means you can use it as a defensive weapon when a mob closes on you. I rarely use the sword for offense directly, preferring to use my Greatsword. But the Sword is a fantastic backup weapon. Focus, when traited, gives some great offense/defense. Illusionary Warden is squishy but can do a ton of damage AND reflects projectiles. The #4 skill, traited, also reflects projectiles. In dungeons especially, this is amazingly great.

Heal
Ether Feast. The other heals for Mesmer are situational at best, and garbage at worst. Ether Feast is our only reliable heal.

Utilities
The two that never leave my bar are Feedback and Null Field. Both are amazingly powerful in all aspects of PvE.

Feedback is a combination damage ability (reflects attacks back at range mobs) as well as control (for 7 seconds, that range mob can't hurt anyone). It also is a combo field. Use it. Love it.

Null Field is a fantastic condition removal ability, which is a great way to support your team. It is also a combo field and strips boons from enemies too. Another one I can never get rid of.

The 3rd slot changes based on what I'm doing at the time. In dungeons I like Mantra of Diversion for an instant interrupt. In open World PvE I will usually either use Blink or Decoy (both will get you out of a stun / kd, which is awesome). Decoy has been winning out most of the time though.

Finally, for your Elite: Time Warp. There really is no other good option for PvE.

Ok, now my traits. You may notice I did not toss 30 points in any line. I feel the Mesmer 30 trait abilities are universally not that amazing.

Domination: Main goal was to get the reduced recharge on Greatsword abilities. Clones crippling on death is a big boon too, makes kiting much easier.

Dueling: Big target was to hit the Clone Creation on dodge trait. With as much Vigor as you get (from the T1 passive), this ups your clone generation substantially. Which is great for Offense AND Defense.

Inspiration: T1 and T2 traits are both amazing. Warden Feedback turns the Focus in to a beast, while reducing the cooldowns on Glamours (Feedback/Null Field) help make already fantastic abilities even better.

Illusions: The main thing here is the 5 point passive. 20% reduced recharge on all Illusion generating skills is amazing. A must have for ANY mesmer build.

Finally: What do you do with all this.

Generally, your goal is to keep an enemy at range as much as possible through spawning lots of clones. You don't focus on Shattering TOO much, instead your clones are more garbage pets to take hits. When they die, they cause the mob to be crippled, which lets you kite easier, dumping damage on with your Greatsword. Use your #2 ability on GS whenever it is up, which should be often (about every 4.5 seconds I believe). If the mob closes on you and your KB is down, swap to sword and use #2 to tank for a few seconds. Then you can drop your #4 skill on focus to cripple the enemy and give you swiftness and get away in time to swap back to greatsword. Don't forget that you can hit 4 a second time to make make enemies get knocked down, buying you even more time to escape.

Use your Mind Wrack shatter when your Phantasmal Berserker cooldown is up, then recast the berserker. Your clones / phantasms won't last a ton of time, so you want to make sure you aren't just leaving them up all the time.

Your Phantasms will apply bleed, which is fantastic. Since both phantasms in this build are multi quick hitting ones, they should stack a solid amount of bleed pretty quickly. Especially if you make sure to get some percision. You don't have to dump a huge amount of stats in Vit/Toughness, due to the inherent defense of the clone tanks. That said, don't ignore it... you want to make sure you CAN live through hits when it happens.

This build should be pretty solid in PvE (although I think a Staff would be better overall for open world pve, due to it's amazing condition spamming and survival) but excell in dungeons. You have some awesome support and control options, all alongside a very respectable damage output. AND you get to stay in the safety of range too.

I realize we don't have a ton of Mesmers in Grog at this point, but I know at least saga was starting to Alt one. I figured maybe this guide could help out.

Also, if you are thinking of checking Mesmer out, or just want to get a good idea for the class, I *highly* recommend this video series: LINK
It does a great job of showing how a Mesmer can be played. The class can be a little harder to get your head around, as it's a somewhat unique playstyle, but he does a good job talking through all of it.
Space for Rent

Kiawah
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Drive fast, take chances

Re: Profession Builds (Mesmer)

Postby Kiawah » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:23 am

I can't comment much since I haven't played a mesmer past level 7, but definitely will keep this stuff in mind for my eventual mesmer alt.

My only question now is what race/gender looks the coolest.

Omoran
Drunken Pirate
Drunken Pirate

Postby Omoran » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:35 pm

This is what I am using atm.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/en/?fgAQNAR7dl4ziqXUzmGZNJy5DQHaBkeoap2qVSBudhA;T8AA2ynEOJdS9kyJqcM5IyxmjLHZOrPGfsFB
WvW and PvE spec. As condition removal is godsend. Plus using Mantray of Recovery and Resolve on make it so you are un CCable in PvP. And just swap out the Traits as needed for pve. Only time I have died is when get gangbaned by 4+ people One on One no way I can die. Extra Power makes my GS auto hit for 1.8K total on 3 pulses. And Mirro Blade hits for 600 And Izerk 2.4K. So anyone who is not dodgeing will basically die from 3 things and 3 Mind Wrack clones into them.
Roster images are broken. I need a new sig!

Omoran
Drunken Pirate
Drunken Pirate

Postby Omoran » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:37 pm

Kiawah wrote:I can't comment much since I haven't played a mesmer past level 7, but definitely will keep this stuff in mind for my eventual mesmer alt.

My only question now is what race/gender looks the coolest.

For Warrior/Thief Asura. For Eng Carr. For rest no preference.

Asura for War/Th is because of the animation they do when doing spin attacks.

Look like a jumping bean all hopup on crack and RedBull.

Feaduin
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Billions and billions eaten.

Postby Feaduin » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:56 pm

Eeek a Russian site. I think I'll use http://www.guildhead.com/ instead for their skill calc.

So how do you like it for PVP so far? I'd imagine that you'd be incredibly highly survivable in pvp. In the actual PVP that I've done so far, one of the biggest problems I found was properly targeting another player. There is no "Target Object Center" hotkey like they used to have on the old flight sims. So when the enemy zerg has a bunch of rangers and mesmers, it gets fucking crazy with an army of pets and clones which takes critical time to sort through. It might only take a fraction of a second or even 2 seconds but that delay can mean the difference between beating the zerg back or getting routed. I would imagine this key advantage being able to keep you alive in almost any situation except when getting focused.

Omoran
Drunken Pirate
Drunken Pirate

Postby Omoran » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:53 am

This is build I switched to tonight
http://www.intothemists.com/calc/?build ... V2DsV2D8Bg

Good survivability and about same dmg if not a bit more personal once clones are out,

Munki

Postby Munki » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:31 am

I've decided to change things up for my dungeon spec. Right now I'm contemplating doing the spec I listed above for my world/farming spec, as Greatsword and Illusionary Persona are amazing in large scale DE's. We will see if I am ok with the added annoyance of swapping builds in between dungeon runs though.

Staff / GS Build

This is the build I'm targetting. I know Omoran thinks I'm crazy for mixing GS and Staff, but GS ends up being a very good condition weapon if you have enough Crit %. That said, the GS is mostly my secondary weapon, and I'll usually just use it for the AoE features of iBerserker and Mirrored Blade.

The build itself is flexible between solo and group play. Solo play you jsut swap the 10 dom and 10 chaos skills to their 'clone on death' traits. Group Play, if you are on a boss that lets you keep clones up a long time, you use +15% damage for illusions damage in Dom and the 3% for each clone in the world traits (for Chaos and Illusion). For bosses that like to toss lots of AoEs, you throw in the "on shatter" traits in Dom and Illusions, and shatter a lot more often.
Space for Rent

Omoran
Drunken Pirate
Drunken Pirate

Postby Omoran » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:05 pm

When I said GS and staff don't mix I was referring to overall spec because one is power and other is condition dmg. But Even in my GS/Sword+pistol(focus) Spec I usally swap out to a staff+GS for a Dungeon. It's condition and buffage are too good.

Kiawah
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Kiawah » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:59 am

I'm back to GW again after a brief hiatus and WoW distraction, and have decided to level up a mesmer this go round.

From what I've read, the top tier of classes for PVE content is really only 3 classes: warrior, guardian, and mesmer. At least when it comes to maximum dps + tons of utility. Your absolute ideal group for a super fast dungeon clear is 3 warriors in full zerker gear, 1 guardian (AH healing, nothing new there), and 1 mesmer (also full zerker). The mesmer is there for additional DPS, plus other utility like time warp, stealth, portals, etc. I already have my guardian where I want him gear wise, so my 2nd focus will be the mesmer (which I'm enjoying).

He definitely doesn't feel as overpowered leveling as my guardian and warrior did, but he's still pretty fun to play. This would be my level 80 build: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fgEQNAsdhk ... Q1atSK4tLE

Not really focusing as much on the greatsword, because my goal would be maximum weapon dps, which is sword. The greatsword isn't terrible (and is the main secondary besides staff), and offers some nice burst, but sword scales better with time warp, and it can cleave which makes speed clearing dungeons easier. Gear would be straight Berserker.

Munki

Postby Munki » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:30 pm

I'll be honest, I haven't really paid attention to the meta game or recent balance changes and all that.

But curious, why would you use Sword as your main weapon, and use deceptive evasion, if you weren't going to go for Illusionary Persona? I would have to imagine you'd get far greater dps going for a standard shatter build. You could drop the 20 points in Power, drop 5 in Inspiration, and dump those 25 in Illusions. Then you could take the bounce ability as your Second major trait, as that will make your #2 on GS better (there arean't many other good choices for that slot). You'd still get the utility that you bring with the reflect trait and focus at that point too.

Going for full on Phantasm damage seems like the wrong choice to me, unless you are focusing more on a ranged turret build like you would do with GS or Staff.

It just seems to me, with Sword / Focus being your main weaponset and having deceptive evasion you'd get a lot more out of shattering since you'll be in melee range.

I do Sword/Sword and GS myself (sometimes Staff as secondary as well) but I'm not really built to speed clear or anything.
Space for Rent

Kiawah
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Kiawah » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:40 pm

Here's what I'm going with currently:
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fgEQNAscRl ... AbtWJF82FC

Right now I'm Sword/Sword... I think overall the Swordsman phantasm works out better than the Warden for a pure shatter build. Mostly because the Swordsman does all his dmg in one hit, where the Warden needs a few seconds to build up. In this case, I'm using the Swordsman purely for an extra shatter, and not really for his dmg at all. I summon him, he gets his one hit in, then he's immediately shattered.

Even with that though I want to find a way to work focus in. It's really painful not having any swiftness, plus the focus pull is really effective. Even with that, I don't think I would be able to pick up the 20 in inspiration... I really don't see how I can fit that in with my current setup. I need the 20 in dueling.... deceptive invasion should be a passive ability, not a trait, it's too damn mandatory for pretty much every mesmer build... and I need the 30 in Illusions. If I went 20 into Inspiration, I would be able to pick up Rending Shatter and Dazzling from the Domination line... and those 2 traits are extremely good (25 stack of vulnerability every time I F3, so good right before a time warp). I dunno though, I'm still debating. Even if I did swap to focus, I think I'd keep my current build, and just have the focus mostly for swiftness and the focus pull. Either that or I would have to drop shatter build and run more of a phantasm build.

I almost gave up on my mesmer when I first hit 80 and did my first few dungeons. It's quite a bit harder to play than my guardian. I'm running full berserker everything with absolutely no toughness or vitality traits, and I drop faster than Damon on a Friday night if I get focused. When I first got in there though I think I was just playing him wrong. I was trying to use my phantasms too much for their dmg, as opposed to shattering them, and I wasn't really using F3 and F4 at all. Now though, when I go into melee range, I almost always F3 first, even before F1, and F4 is my "oh shit get out" button. I'm also much more likely to start a fight with greatsword, and just go in and start shattering once the mobs have broken up a bit. I end up doing okay though on most fights now... I do so much dazing and jumping around dodging to create new clones that I can survive most fights in melee. The only time I stick to GS primarily is if I'm fighting something that can 1shot me if it focuses me, which isn't that often. Overall I'm really enjoying the mesmer... he's a lot tougher to play than my guardian (who I do still like though), and I feel like the amount of utility I bring: portals, stealth, time warp, etc is pretty awesome to have in a dungeon. Almost everything is easier with a mesmer in the group.

I am digging all of the new changes they've made over the last few months. I think I've finished the daily quest literally every single day since I started playing again regularly, and I finished the monthly within like 10 days without even really trying (thank god they removed the WvW requirement). The fractal changes are pretty nice too... now you can join groups that are higher level than you and still advance. So even though I'm at like fractal 4, I can join a fractal 8 group and advance my fractal level. And now that I can get agony through the new laurel system, I don't need to grind the daily fractals anymore, and can just get them naturally through the dailies.

I've decided to go ahead and try to craft a legendary (the 1h sword Bolt) on my mesmer... but we'll see how that goes. I've got all the mystic clovers and now I'm just trying to finish the map completion before I start grinding for money to buy the precursor, lodestones, and runestones. I do have a good 2nd wind going with GW2 currently, and am enjoying myself.

Sord
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: The Trev

Postby Sord » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:02 am

RE: grinding for money. I think that is what turned me off of the game recently. Out of boredom I did some regearing on my warrior and dipped my toe into the speed running scene. I can't be bothered to play with the majority of people doing the CoF speed runs. Impatient and demanding, the whole lot of them. I got fed up and decided to make my own group of hodge podge classes. The dungeons went just fine and while we didn't clear stuff in record time, we certainly did it in a totally acceptable time. I'm talking 1-2 minutes here. Speed running elitists want to get it done in 7 or 8 mins. God forbid your group takes 10 mins instead!

At least as a Mesmer, you'll have an easy time getting the groups you need for farming. If you're not super anal about it, I'd suggest putting together your own groups though cause a lot of them, if your gear isn't exactly what they want, you'll be kicked.

Good luck.
Bye space sword!

Kiawah
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Kiawah » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:24 pm

Yeah I don't really do the pure "p1 cof farming omg 7 minutes or bust group". It's just not worth it... those guys want to go for hours at the time, and once DR kicks in, you really dont make "that" much per run. When I do want money, I'll do cof p1 and p2 on both my mesmer and/or guardian... That will net me about 3-4g plus another 250 tokens, which I can buy yellows with to turn into ectos. That's plenty for me, and all in a normal group.

Return to “Guild Wars 2”