No monthly fee! *And there was much rejoicing...*
Sidonia
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Custom Rank: Donner of the Robe and Hat
Location: A world of my own... but it's ok, they know me here

WvW

Postby Sidonia » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:40 am

I'm not sure how this is supposed to work, or if I was just doing something blatantly and utterly wrong.. but I spent about.. 5 hours last night doing this.. I gained 2 levels.. and got 3 Badges of Honor. It was mega frustrating. Only 1 waypoint to return to, the main port in area, and way to long to run back to where you may have died if you can't get a rez. Supposedly you can buy/build waypoints at other areas.. but I'm not sure how exactly. If the defending team gets enough siege weapons up.. it's near impossible to break through.

I have absolutely no idea how anyone is leveling doing this nor do I understand how anyone is supposed to get hundreds upon hundreds of these badges to get the higher level WvW gear. 5 hours for 3 of the dumb things (which are inventory items.....), and I was looting everything I could.

I do not understand the point of it at all. It reminds me of Warhammer.. whoever has the better zerg wins and that's all that matters.

Sord
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: The Trev

Re: WvW

Postby Sord » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:07 am

Smaller groups should be out capping the supply camps and other smaller objectives and just overall being annoying. Being part of the big zerg can be fun at times but I think it is more fun to break off and capture other shit. Their zerg can really only be in one place at a time. They are zerging your main base and you have no chance of winning? Go to their shard and start capturing all their supply camps while they are busy. That is a great distraction that may even get them to abandon their current attack and go back to get all the stuff you took from them.

I'm not sure how the badges are supposed to work. Seems to me that in a zerg v zerg ball, there might actually be very little badges to be had. There seem to actually be very few deaths in zerg v zerg. Everyone stays at range and just pelts the middle ground with AoE effects. One or two people might get caught in it but overall didn't seem like many deaths. I do remember going around and capturing all the smaller camps gave a TON of karma though.
Bye space sword!

Teasing_Pink
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber
Games: Guild Wars 2, Secret World

Postby Teasing_Pink » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:53 am

I did a bit of WvW the other night to round out the Monthly tasks achievement. I agree with Sord about badges in the zerg v zerg ball. Very little credit to be had, and in the chaos, I'm sure I forgot to hit "f" to loot some of the badge bags that appeared when they did. I got 10 or so badges (out of 50 kills for the achievement), and I'm fairly sure they all came from skirmishes and small defenses of supply lines and the like.

Sieging well defended keeps was meant to be done with your own seige weapons set up outside to pummel the keep, like a real keep seige. Of course, since you have to pay out of pocket for the siege machine blueprints, then get people to pick up supply and help you build (you can only carry 10, need 50 or so for a catapult or whatever), I didn't see anyone seige a keep with a seige weapon in my few hours playing. Usually the zerg just bashed at a door for an extremely long time, and most of the defenders fell back.

Overall left a bit unimpressed though, since as pointed out, the zerg is all that really mattered in the grand scheme of things. In my session, Yak's Bend got wiped by geting flanked and double teamed by two bigger zergs. Kinda felt like playing Hibernia in DAOC.

Sidonia
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Custom Rank: Donner of the Robe and Hat
Location: A world of my own... but it's ok, they know me here

Postby Sidonia » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:50 pm

That was kind what was going on last night.. both the other teams were assaulting our stuff in our boarderlands.. so it didn't help much.. 2 big zergs vs a split team trying to do anything and it wasn't working at all. I tried going to the Eternal Battlegrounds and it was.. kind of the same thing. There was another blue zerg there taking our default stuff and we just couldn't do anything to get rid of them. Even trying to go into their territory didn't seem to help.. I don't know if it's Yak's Bend just doesn't have enough players vs the other too (I think one of them was home of Goon Squad soo.. yeah..) but all in all it gave me a pretty terrible, frustrating experience that makes me not want to try again :/

Sord
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: The Trev

Postby Sord » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:19 pm

Remember that the server rotation is still daily. Eventually we'll start getting paired with servers that are more our performance. In the first few weeks the chances of us getting paired against a server with more coordinated PvP guilds are pretty high while things sort themselves out. WvW really is a server effort. If we don't have that many dedicated PvP guilds out there doing their thing or at least people willing to put in the time to learn and become the commanders, we'll probably end up somewhat on the lower scale of things. I haven't set foot in any WvW yet but when I do, it is going to probably be with 3-5 guildies and going around capturing the smaller camps cause that was more fun than a giant standoff. Remember, no server is going to win ALL the time. Get used to taking your licks.
Bye space sword!

Teasing_Pink
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber
Games: Guild Wars 2, Secret World

Postby Teasing_Pink » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:18 pm

I remember checking the WvW scores on day two or three, it was Yak's Bend 140,000, other two servers, ~30,000 points. Figured things would shake themselves out eventually with the pairings. My lone experience of getting the beatdown aside, overall the day I tried out WvW was roughly equal as far as score went. We were losing, but it wasn't a 100k difference blowout.

If I'm around and anyone wants to try some small group guerrilla warfare, I'm definitely in. Zergs aren't my thing, but small skirmishes where I can feel like I'm actually contributing are pretty fun.

Mentu
Drunken Pirate
Drunken Pirate
Custom Rank: Cool Guy
Guild: Grog of War

Postby Mentu » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:00 am

not sure either really. Most of the time, I find a person that looks like they know what they are doing and follow them to the vanguard.

Return to “Guild Wars 2”