Profession Builds (Necromancer)

No monthly fee! *And there was much rejoicing...*
Rocketdog
Drunken Pirate
Drunken Pirate
Games: Sims3, Skyrim

Profession Builds (Necromancer)

Postby Rocketdog » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:41 am

I submitted my minion/death build to GW2 Builds. Hoping to have some input :)

Minion Master Death Shroud PVE

The goal of this build is to provide efficient damage and survivability with constant death shroud shifting. The life force is the second health pool. Thus, providing high life force regeneration allows more switching to the amazing form. The build also provides minions that are strong while the master is in Death Shroud form.

Spoiler: show
Weapons

Axes

Axes are my favorite choice for this build. The damage is amazing and the life force had good regeneration. It is also nice that there is some range. Rending claws applies vulnerability which allows the minions and yourself to deal more damage. Ghastly claws deals astonishing damage and grants 8% life force per hit.

Unholy feast is a bit aggravating at times at is can trigger neutral mobs. Further, it may pull aggro away from your minions. However, it does good damage and can shine when the time is right. On the sneaky side, an instant aoe is great for running up to a pack of mobs pounding on a poor fellow. Look like a hero and run away with prizes :)

Focus

Reaper's touch helps keep the target vulnerable and provides a great amount of life force with a clustered mob. Spinal shivers removes boons from the target, thus any damage from the minions is not negated by buffs.

Daggers

The offhand dagger has Deathly swarm which transfers conditions to the mob, a great condition cleanser, and enfeebling blood that applies conditions. Main hand dagger has siphon life which works pretty well with Bloodthrist. Both are highly attractive for a general minion build.

Staff

I really like the staff and used it for a large portion of leveling before switching to daggers. It sure is excellent before points are invested into Bloodthrist. The staff is especially nice for a clustered group, and really shines in dynamic events. The staff also provides support for minions and allies. Mark of blood applies a bit of healing and putrid mark transfers conditions. Necrotic grasp is great long range damage and grants a steady flow of life force.

Other Weapons

Warhorn has Locust Swarm is a very attractive spell and is excellent for "oh crap" moments. Personally, I wasn't attracted to the warhorn because it lacked life force reward. The build and weapon combination above provides many escaping tricks such an accessible Spectral Armor, Death Shroud and the Flesh Golum's Charge, and chill kiting.

The Scepter appears to be stronger for condition-type builds.

Healing and Cleanse

Blood Fiend is great at maintaining your health for most scenarios. Shroud removal, death magic adept perk, is good for most scenarios since there will be plenty of life force. However there are a number of situations where conditions pile on and the Consume Conditions are needed. Consume Conditions is a great one click heal and cleanse with a low cooldown.

Utilities

I feel that the fiends and flesh golum are the strongest of the minions for general attacks. I chose the minions that had the stronger general damage because the minion skill are not accessible in Death Shroud form. The Bone Minions(baby minions) have an excellent activation, but are useless themselves.

I also think the build needed a strong escape means, hence I chose Spectral Armor over Bone Minions . The Bone Minions' explosion is rather good AOE damage when triggered. The problem occurs during chaotic battles where a big brute peels away and smashes my face in, the baby minions are never where I'd want them to explode. I prefer the veil to help build Life force in this emergency. However, I do make use of the babies during zergfest situations such as Dynamic Events with many players.

I haven't made any use of the flesh worm, personally. The wurm's damage is pretty goodand the teleportation provides some advantage for skillful playing and the damage is pretty good. Even though it is immobile, the cooldown isn't bad.

Perks

The perk choices allow some condition removal and good general damage and lifespan of the minions. Life steal is decent and Death Shroud is strong.

In Summary this Build Provides:
--PVE Strong Presence
--High Survivablilty
--Great for Soloing Missions
--Efficient use of Minions and Damage
--Fast Life Force Regeneration
--Good AOE and support
--Strength in Dynamic Events
Last edited by Rocketdog on Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rocketdog | Vendela | Badgley| Biviel | Sharon | Dr. Hot&Awesome

Feaduin
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Billions and billions eaten.

Re: Profession Builds

Postby Feaduin » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:36 pm

Nicely done! I'd like to hear more about the other weapon combos and why you specifically didn't favor them too.

Rocketdog
Drunken Pirate
Drunken Pirate

Postby Rocketdog » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:12 pm

I'm starting to like the dagger MH. I've seen a lot of builds use both daggers+horn and staves for the second weapon. I'm trying out dagger+ horn or dagger X2 instead of staves.

EDIT: I do like the daggers better but only slightly. I updated my guide above.

Kiawah
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Drive fast, take chances

Postby Kiawah » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:26 am

Shar, fyi... I think that site you're using isn't up to date. For example, "Training of the Master" isn't in the death magic line, it's in the Spite line.

<a href="http://gw2.luna-atra.fr/skills_tool/?lang=en&code=3822g09t4s4o4pln10uu0a04u4v565vh2h8hb">This is the build I'll probably use</a> I might tweak it a bit, and take more out of Spite and put more into Blood Magic if I need to.

This is a more traditional condition build for a necro. Basically you make use of Poison Cloud and Blood is Power... Like with Blood is Power, you bleed yourself and the enemy, but you abuse the self-bleed with the dagger ability Deathly Swarm, which transfers my conditions to the enemy.... so they get the bleed from the Blood is Power, and my bleed, along with the other bleeds and conditions with the other abilities. At only level 30, I can stack 15 bleeds onto something in almost no time, along with a host of other conditions. It also makes use of the flesh golem to tank for you. In a dungeon or DE, I'd swap out the bone fiend for Epidemic for some pretty nasty aoe.

I've found this build to do a lot better than just stacking minions. I do a lot more dmg, and can still make use of the useful minions for surviability.

Rocketdog
Drunken Pirate
Drunken Pirate

Postby Rocketdog » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:47 am

Kiawah wrote:Shar, fyi... I think that site you're using isn't up to date. For example, "Training of the Master" isn't in the death magic line, it's in the Spite line.

Oh Balls. I'm going to have to rethink this...

Mentu
Drunken Pirate
Drunken Pirate
Custom Rank: Cool Guy
Guild: Grog of War

Postby Mentu » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:02 am

For current builds I've been using the calculator at gw2bd.com

Just hit the trait calc

Teasing_Pink
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber
Games: Guild Wars 2, Secret World

Postby Teasing_Pink » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:34 am

Kiawah wrote:Shar, fyi... I think that site you're using isn't up to date. For example, "Training of the Master" isn't in the death magic line, it's in the Spite line.

<a href="http://gw2.luna-atra.fr/skills_tool/?lang=en&code=3822g09t4s4o4pln10uu0a04u4v565vh2h8hb">This is the build I'll probably use</a> I might tweak it a bit, and take more out of Spite and put more into Blood Magic if I need to.

I've been trying out a bunch of different necro builds, and yours is pretty close to my favorite so far.

I swap out the pets for epidemic and plague, and if I'm just doing out in the field PvE, often dump the poison cloud for spectral walk, just to run faster for gathering and the like. I find I don't miss the pets at all, especially with their rather poor AI. Between the snare, moving around in combat, popping into death shroud, and plague doubling your health temporarily, survivability is pretty good.

But, I find I get bored now and again, and just go dagger/focus/wells for a different playstyle. Still want to try a GTAOE wells build with staff too, for some of the DAOC earth mage mojo.

Rocketdog
Drunken Pirate
Drunken Pirate

Postby Rocketdog » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:56 am

I've done pretty well with minions/deathshroud thus far (level 63ish) in leveling and soloing class missions (Claw Island & Carnival.. whut up!!)

The downside is that I'm not sure what to think in dungeon damage. I feel like my DS form carried the weight more than minions.

Kiawah wrote:Basically you make use of Poison Cloud and Blood is Power... Like with Blood is Power, you bleed yourself and the enemy, but you abuse the self-bleed with the dagger ability Deathly Swarm, which transfers my conditions to the enemy.... so they get the bleed from the Blood is Power, and my bleed, along with the other bleeds and conditions with the other abilities.

I am really intrigued with this concept, even though I dislike the idea of cutting myself :eek: I didn't utilize those type of spells in GW1 so was unattracted to them in this game. I am willing to try it though.

What do you think about conditions + deathshroud? i.e. No minions whatsoever??

Rocketdog
Drunken Pirate
Drunken Pirate

Postby Rocketdog » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:24 pm

For Example: Image

We'll see how this goes...

Teasing_Pink
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Postby Teasing_Pink » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:25 pm

In that build, are you intending to use death shroud / healing to absorb or remove the self applied conditions that you'll generate from blood is power and corrosive poison cloud?

Offhand dagger may be useful for deathly swarm to transfer the self conditions, as it has a pretty fast cooldown. Though I've noticed that deathly swarm says it transfers 3 conditions, and I swear I'm seeing that mean 3 individual applications, not stacks. E.g. if I've got a stack of 3 bleeds and 1 poison on me, the swarm only transfers the bleed, and I stay poisoned. Am I crazy or is that the case?

The plague signet is an option, but the cooldown on that is so long, and it's otherwise not useful unless you're grouped up.

Rocketdog
Drunken Pirate
Drunken Pirate

Postby Rocketdog » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:01 am

I don't know what to do! :(

I find that the minions are amazing in leveling and solo missions but a PITA in dungeons.

Teasing_Pink
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Postby Teasing_Pink » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:26 am

At least it's cheap to switch talent builds, so swapping between minions and something else for dungeons isn't too rough.

Has anyone found good use for the necromancer horn? That's probably my least used weapon. The daze is nice, but the locust swarm doesn't seem too great to me. Maybe better for PvP control? Or as an offhand swap, something to just quickly switch to, use the daze and locusts, then immediately go back to your "real" build?

Perhaps I'll have to try that with my dagger/focus/wells build I've been sweet on lately. I've kept a staff in offhand for occasional range use, but I hardly use it. Maybe swapping to horn would be a better combat mix up.

Rocketdog
Drunken Pirate
Drunken Pirate

Postby Rocketdog » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:49 pm

I see the horn utilized more in PVP oriented builds than PVE. Personally, it is my least favorite because it doesn't build life force. I like my death form.

I probably will switch to signets or something in dungeons. I have all weekend to think of it.

Kiawah
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Kiawah » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:36 pm

<a href="http://gw2.luna-atra.fr/skills_tool/?lang=en&code=3822g09t4o4slph9100u0pf565m5v66h8h9">here is my build</a>

While soloing, I swap out Epidemic and Lich Form for the bone fiend and flesh golem. The blood magic traits are optional, and you could easily go 25 in death magic also, I just prefer the extra health when condition stacking over toughness. I'm finding I don't like epidemic for DE's that much either... as the normal minor mobs die too fast before I can get enough conditions stacked onto something for it to be worthwhile. In dungeons though? It's badass.

A few notes with this build:
It makes use of Last Gasp in the Soul Reaping line, probably one of our best traits.
It's pure condition focused, this is your basic cast sequence
1) grasping dead
2) enfeebling blood
3) blood is power
4) corrosive poison cloud
5) epidemic
6) deathly swarm
7) feast of corruption

By the end of this sequence, a mob should have vulnerability, blindness, poison, weakness, crippling, and about 15 stacks of bleeds... and with epidemic, all those conditions will get spread to every mob, which is pretty sick. After this you can either swap to staff and drop some marks, or just wait until everything comes back up again. You can use consume conditions if you get extra conditions on you that you can't wipe.

This build sucks in a large fight where the bleed cap can be reached, but soloing and in dungeons, it does some pretty nice damage, along with having the 2nd highest health pool in the game.

Honestly... I don't use death shroud all that much. The biggest use I get out of it is for life transfer for some extra aoe. It's one of those things that's great to have, and when I do need it, I need it. But I don't rely on it, and certainly wouldn't spec for it. It's icing on an otherwise already sturdy cake.

Rocketdog
Drunken Pirate
Drunken Pirate

Postby Rocketdog » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:41 pm

Seems like curses is the way to go for high end PVE. Pets and death have served me well thus far but I'm looking for a little change and more power in dungeons (where minions are STOOOPID).

Kiawah wrote:Honestly... I don't use death shroud all that much. The biggest use I get out of it is for life transfer for some extra aoe. It's one of those things that's great to have, and when I do need it, I need it. But I don't rely on it, and certainly wouldn't spec for it.

You have points in it. Are you meaning not to go full Soul Reaping for dungeons?

Kiawah
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Kiawah » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:13 am

Rocketdog wrote:
Kiawah wrote:Honestly... I don't use death shroud all that much. The biggest use I get out of it is for life transfer for some extra aoe. It's one of those things that's great to have, and when I do need it, I need it. But I don't rely on it, and certainly wouldn't spec for it.

You have points in it. Are you meaning not to go full Soul Reaping for dungeons?

It's just to get Last Gasp from that trait line. I do use death shroud, but mostly just when life transfer is up or if I'm taking too much dmg and my heal is on cooldown. But I wouldn't really spec specifically for it, it's not apart of our normal rotation, just an "oh shit" button.

Rocketdog
Drunken Pirate
Drunken Pirate

Re: Profession Builds (Necromancer)

Postby Rocketdog » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:29 am

I am trying another build where points are put into Spite, Curses, and Blood. Damage is amazing and the build can easily rotate between minion support for PVE world and curses for dungeons. Right now I have 20-20-0-30-0. I can also use daggers in place of staff for whenever I feel the need to stabby stabby (scepter/dagger is fixed). Also I will try 20-30-0-20-0 to compare.

The only issue I see so far is that with no defense, healing needs more attention. However, the points in vitality makes the healing stronger at least.

Kiawah
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Kiawah » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:55 am

What weapons are you using with that build, are you still doing sceptor/dagger?

Rocketdog
Drunken Pirate
Drunken Pirate

Postby Rocketdog » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:04 am

Kiawah wrote:What weapons are you using with that build, are you still doing sceptor/dagger?

Always. The second set is dagger/focus or staff...whatever I feel like at the time for the situation. (I keep looking at that horn...)

Return to “Guild Wars 2”