Ascalon Catacombs - dungeon impressions

No monthly fee! *And there was much rejoicing...*
Marcallo
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Grand Wizard

Re: Ascalon Catacombs - dungeon impressions

Postby Marcallo » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:36 am

I'm so happy I don't give a shit about Dyes and armor looks. I only care about Stats. I think maybe I'm not the target audience.
Dog carcass in alley this morning, tire tread on burst stomach. This city is afraid of me. I have seen it's true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"...

...and I'll look down, and whisper "no."

Sord
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: The Trev

Postby Sord » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:43 am

Rocketdog wrote:Sord, did you only make an exotic fighting set? Is your magic find still yellow level?

Yeah my magic find set is just yellow quality. I'll never use it for anything other than DE farming and general exploration so it doesn't have to be the best for stats. My exotic set is what I use for dungeons and WvW.
Bye space sword!

Feaduin
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Billions and billions eaten.

Postby Feaduin » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:07 am

You don't need an exotic set just to run EM. I wouldn't wait to complete a set to start. Just go when you can because it depends more on your skills and planning than your gear. Learning what to do so you're not a n00b greatly outweighs any gear you carry in there - at least at this point in the Game Balance.

the Curse gaming site at gw2db.com has weapon skins on display. I don't think they have armor though.

Sord
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Sord » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:22 pm

Sure you don't necessarily NEED exotic gear but again, once you reach 80 and are doing those things, it becomes about efficiency, especially when you have to run them repeatedly. You can probably complete them in the green or blue quality gear if your group is skilled and you know the dungeon well but you decrease the margin for error as the dps on your weapons goes up and your survivability stats go up on your armor. You then turn that 1.5 hour run into an hour run, and then down to 45 and then finally 30 mins and guess what, you can now do 3 dungeons in the time it took you to do 1.

In the end, getting an exotic set is NOT that difficult, and doesn't cost all that much in the grand scheme of things. And personally, I love that. I love knowing that I can do do anything I want in game and not have to worry about my gear. That was one thing that drove me nuts in WoW raiding when you are on the cusp of a kill but keep hitting that enrage timer. More often than not, teaching your raid to use their skills more efficiently would result in more damage done but for lower skilled raids, (which we were all a part of with varying levels of skill) basically needed more and more loot in order to progress. Now, thats not to say I don't think that is a valid form of progress but it is one I got tired of and needed something different.

I spent over 5g yesterday on my T2 cultural armor skin. I think it looks pretty awesome and I'm glad I did it. But I also think it was a mistake. I keep forgetting about exotic accessories. At the same time though, there is no hurry and that ends up just being another goal to strive for.

EDIT: And I totally missed your point, Fea2, which is a good one. You don't have to wait til you have exotic gear for explorable mode, so don't let that be a factor! But I would still put exotic gear above most vanity things.
Bye space sword!

Lightfeather
Site Admin
Site Admin
Custom Rank: Your Admin
Games: World of Warcraft
Guild: Broken Circle

Postby Lightfeather » Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:06 pm

I'm working towards my exotic set. I've stopped buying dyes and pets. I have about 13g now but my biggest roadblock, at the moment, is... what set to pick. I don't really like much of the armor offered, so I'll probably just re-skin most of it to look like the heritage armor, so I'll probably just go for the cheapest one to make. In addition, I don't really have an idea about stats. What is my role in a dungeon? Mostly, support. But what does that mean for me in terms of stats? Do I want to wear all the healing type gear so my heals are beefy? I'm inclined to say, "yes". But truly, my build, plus my gear is a bit slapdash. I haven't taken the effort to educate myself about my class, preferring to wander around the countryside in search of flowers, and leaving the gear choices up to Damon. I tell him how I like to play, he watches my style, and molds a build around that. I've been stacking power and precision... but I have no idea if that's the correct way to do it.

I've held off crafting my exotic trinkets and gear for mostly this reason and hid behind the "oh, but what I have works just fine!" excuse. I'm afraid to waste all my money, that I'd rather dump into collectibles, on a set of gear that I have no affinity for because it's not cute at all (to me), only to find out that I picked the wrong stats for my build as well so the gear is mostly useless to me and I'll have to invest in another set because I'm a derp.

The only leather armor in the whole game that I remotely like is the Nightmare set from Twilight Arbor, but from what I've been told, it's a BITCH to get, and I'll need an exotic set in the mean time just to attempt to get this armor.

The reality is, I should have rolled a cloth class because I found like seven different armors that I'd love to craft in a heartbeat. I love the play-style of the ranger, but the wardrobe of the clothy. What's a girl to do? The answer, PUT IT OFF! Delay delay delay and hope the devs come out with some sort of leather outfit that more to my liking.
ImageImage

Sord
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Sord » Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:21 pm

On the bright side, 13g is more than enough to get your set going! Whenever you choose to get it made. I really like the leather armor styles that give the wide brimmed hat and the duster type chest pieces. Damn girls, always gotta show off skin. (Thank you for that, btw)

I can understand holding back as a ranger. From my talks with Damon, they are kind of in a weird spot now with their support stuff. Spirits don't live all that long. Healing spring is pretty sexy though but it is a one trick pony. Do you gear around one ability? I've gone with all Cleric gear for myself but I've also got 3 shouts to use for heals that also do various other things, so since I'm spamming shouts basically all the time, it makes sense to gear around their healing utility with traits.
Bye space sword!

Munki
Custom Rank: Alouette, gentille Alouette

Postby Munki » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:27 pm

At this point, Cleric is probably the way to go for Support Ranger too (which is what we are doing for her as well). While the +Healing really only buffs Healing Spring and her Elite Spirit, the reality is that those are both very good and are worth buffing. Cleric also gives Power so she can still contribute damage wise, and Toughness to keep her alive. I'd consider maybe using a piece of Soldier gear or two, but those aren't craftable (and are WvW gear... which is expensive token wise!). Basically I think ti would be great to throw some Vitality in there, but there is no set that gives Vit that also gives other stats that are worth snagging for her at this time.

Since the reality is that the only real support stat you can gear for is Healing, I don't see this changing, even if the class changes some in the future.
Space for Rent

Feaduin
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Billions and billions eaten.

Postby Feaduin » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:06 am

Ideally, I would love to have just one set of gear because i just don't want to dedicate the bag space. I wish we could just swap out runes. I hate the idea of losing out on MF if i take out my current Pirate set, ESPECIALLY since i go into a dungeon for the loot! And for as much trouble as the summoned parrot gets me into, it's also saved my life countless times. If I were to change, it looks like I'd have to collect Molten Lodestones to make Soldier runes (says its an armorer recipe).

As far as getting badges goes, I don't know if it would be *that* bad to get 1 or 2 critical pieces from the LA merchants since a successful run netted 30 badges (in the case of a successful EM AC run).

Munki
Custom Rank: Alouette, gentille Alouette

Postby Munki » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:07 am

They've changed the badge thing; It's now 60 tokens for the first run for the day of a wing (of the 3 wings)... so if you run all 3 wings for a dungeon in a day, you get 180 tokens. Considering that it costs something like 1000 tokens to get a FULL set of a dungeon armor, that's not TOO bad, considering it would be like less than a full week of doing that to get your entire set.
Space for Rent

Rocketdog
Drunken Pirate
Drunken Pirate
Games: Sims3, Skyrim

Postby Rocketdog » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:19 am

Let's do Arah NONSTOP!!!!

I want thiiiiis.

Boobs...

:grog: :mrgreen:
Rocketdog | Vendela | Badgley| Biviel | Sharon | Dr. Hot&Awesome