Ascalon Catacombs - dungeon impressions

No monthly fee! *And there was much rejoicing...*
Sord
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: The Trev

Ascalon Catacombs - dungeon impressions

Postby Sord » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:38 am

We ran the ascalon catacombs story mode for the first time last night. We completed it in about an hour and a half, maybe a little less.

Trash mobs are probably the most dangerous but it seemed a majority of full party wipes were actually trash mobs + traps on the ground/walls. You really should disable the traps first before attacking the mobs. There were chains on the wall to stop spike traps on the floor and there are little fireball spewers on the walls you can attack and destroy. Be on the lookout for them.

You will rez people. A lot.

Learn to love your dodge button. 90% of the times I rezzed someone, their downed body was in a red circle. Don't be that guy. Put your WoW raid skills to use.

There didn't seem to be a particular bias of ranged vs melee on any of the bosses really. There was the one boss on a central pillar where you could shoot him from range but there is a place to run up so you can melee him. Bosses seemed to have a pretty even mixture of melee and ranged skills so no one was really safer than someone else. Oh yeah, don't stand in red circles. Don't stand in red circles. Red circles, don't stand in them.
Bye space sword!

Mentu
Drunken Pirate
Drunken Pirate
Custom Rank: Cool Guy
Guild: Grog of War

Re: Ascalon Catacombs - dungeon impressions

Postby Mentu » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:54 am

yeah, those bosses seem to always aoe the downed ally so no one could resurrect them. I learned a lot from the dungeon though. I'm going to not do the spec I was trying to accomplish. I'm going to focus more on a control based spec. Because there is no tanks, you really need to control mobs better.

Zeyk
Midshipman
Midshipman

Postby Zeyk » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:46 pm

Ran the Caudecus' Manor one in Story Mode. Took all of 30minutes, initial fight was the only difficult one and I'm sure that could have been gimicked using LoS. Wasn't impressed with it in the least.

Sord
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Sord » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:04 pm

Caudecus' Manor is a fucking joke compared to every other dungeon I've ran so far. It required no strategy. Twilight Arbor and Sorrow's Embrace on the other hand ... Your butt will pucker. Ok, not THAT bad but they actually require you to do things other than standing there and beating on the boss. Well, maybe not if you break it down into its simplest form but there is a lot of kiting and dodging involved compared to CM and even AC. The final boss of Sorrow's Embrace is actually pretty fun and really reminds me of some WoW raid type shit. Very enjoyable.
Bye space sword!

Teasing_Pink
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber
Games: Guild Wars 2, Secret World

Postby Teasing_Pink » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:28 pm

A shame you couldn't stick around with us for Twilight Arbor afterwards Zeyk, that one was way more interesting and varied. Actually had a couple fights where we had to stop and rethink tactics. And certainly there was no "That's it?" moment that we had at the end of Caudecus' Manor. I really enjoyed Twilight Arbor. Though I think Ecaz vowed to never run Twilight Arbor again (Story mode or otherwise) about halfway through it. :lol:

Has anyone run Caudecus' Manor on explore mode? I'm curious if it gets to be more interesting than the very lackluster story mode.

Mentu
Drunken Pirate
Drunken Pirate

Postby Mentu » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:00 pm

Sometimes, like we found in Sorrow's Embrace, the fights are ridiculously easy like just straight burns. Sometimes there is what I'd expect from a normal mode GW2 boss fight where you have to dodge key abilities, you might have light AoE or you might have to use terrain like boulders or whatever. Then sometimes, it boggles my mind how much more complected some bosses are like multiple phase, you are the bomb mechanics and chain lightnings that make me feel like I'm doing heroic mode wow raid content. The worst part is when these really complicated encounters are in normal mode dungeoning. I meant to learn these encounters and refine my knowledge of dodging, which is by far my weakest point in this game, but sometimes the bosses just make it anti-fun to learn. Especially when you have to graveyard zerg to get past a boss.

ecaz
Drunken Pirate
Drunken Pirate

Postby ecaz » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:23 am

I thought I had a pretty solid plan/build for GW2 till Twilight Arbor (damn knight thingies :( ) . That caused me about 2 hrs of feeling lost and 20-30 silver of trait/skill rearrangement. I actually quite enjoyed it despite feeling flaccid in the beginning.

Mentu
Drunken Pirate
Drunken Pirate

Postby Mentu » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:57 am

I think I may build the draconic power toughness vitality set and look into a non farming spec for dungeons.

Rocketdog
Drunken Pirate
Drunken Pirate
Games: Sims3, Skyrim

Postby Rocketdog » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:25 am

Is there a way to make those red circles stand out more? I didn't see an option for them. Mine look rather subtle on screen.
Rocketdog | Vendela | Badgley| Biviel | Sharon | Dr. Hot&Awesome

Munki
Custom Rank: Alouette, gentille Alouette

Postby Munki » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:31 am

Rocketdog wrote:Is there a way to make those red circles stand out more? I didn't see an option for them. Mine look rather subtle on screen.

Nicole feels the same way, especially since she has her Healing Circle down a lot and that obscures the red circles around her. I really hope they make an option to make the red circles really pop better, because it can be easy to 'lose' them now.
Space for Rent

Mentu
Drunken Pirate
Drunken Pirate

Postby Mentu » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:44 am

If it was filled in a little more I'm sure it would be fine. Maybe a bit brighter.

Rocketdog
Drunken Pirate
Drunken Pirate

Postby Rocketdog » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:53 am

Perhaps that setting in options applies to friendly AOE? Can anyone confirm?

Lightfeather
Site Admin
Site Admin
Custom Rank: Your Admin
Games: World of Warcraft
Guild: Broken Circle

Postby Lightfeather » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:17 am

Also discovered that pets can walk over traps and trigger them in those tomb raider type dungeons. I kept dying to fire traps KNOWING I wasn't stepping on the trigger plates. My god damn BIRD was flying OVER them and triggering them, killing us both. /fail
ImageImage

Kiawah
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Drive fast, take chances

Postby Kiawah » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:33 am

Lightfeather wrote:Also discovered that pets can walk over traps and trigger them in those tomb raider type dungeons. I kept dying to fire traps KNOWING I wasn't stepping on the trigger plates. My god damn BIRD was flying OVER them and triggering them, killing us both. /fail

Sureeeeeeeeee it was the pet. Onyxia was also deep breathing more too, right?

Feaduin
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Billions and billions eaten.

Postby Feaduin » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:41 pm

Have you tried messing with the bloom settings or post processing options to make the red circles stand out more?

Rocketdog
Drunken Pirate
Drunken Pirate

Postby Rocketdog » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:51 am

Feaduin wrote:Have you tried messing with the bloom settings or post processing options to make the red circles stand out more?

Are those in the game setting?

Feaduin
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Feaduin » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:52 am

In the options menu, the 2nd tab is graphics options. the last drop down menu is post processing. i guess you can't really control things individually.

Feaduin
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Feaduin » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:33 am

I completed my first exploration AC today. The path we chose was to look for the Scepter of Someshit and it wasn't too bad once you figured things out. The toughest boss is the first one, Lt. Kohler, because of his mega hit after he fires his harpoons at everyone. It's basically Scorpion's "GET OVER HERE!" move and if he snags you, you are pretty much on your ass because he turns into a blender. It's easy once you aren't playing panicked and especially when you don't have aggro. When he winds up and glows yellow, just count 1 one thousand, 2 one thousand, dodgeroll away and you'll be fine. Using LOS is better of course but the fucking camera issues with this game can make it tough to reacquire the target and close the distance (i'm melee) before he does another Scorpion. If you have aggro, then its trickier but it's still all about kite kite kite kite kite because there are no tanks. I swear, wearing plate means nothing in this game. No other boss was as hard as that guy.

The other tricky thing with the Scepter search was the first big thing protecting the squishy npc. The trick was to figure out the optimum take down order for the 6 burrows. I think this one takes a few tries to get it right and will heavily depend on what professions are in your party. From what we did , it was north, southwest, further southwest, northeast, northwest, and last was southeast. Everything else was cake. In the end, I got these fine leather jackets I'm selling...

Sord
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Sord » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:45 am

Once I get Arah finished I hope to start doing explorable mode for dungeons. I'm not really all that excited to grind massive amounts of tokens for armor sets though. I know they are still tweaking things but I think they still need to work on that in particular.

Everything up to Arah has been challenging but not frustratingly so. There are a few deaths and some annoying mechanics but overall not too bad. I know there are a lot of people out there that think the dungeons are a weak part of the game. I don't necessarily disagree but I don't think they are all that bad, honestly. If I were to change anything, it would be to change something around to make chain running the dungeons for tokens less of a chore. Make tokens universal or increase the amount that drop (I guess they did that already but I'm not sure how much that really affected things). I had an idea to give a stacking bonus to token drops for each different dungeon you do (since it seems they'd rather you do a mixture rather than the same one over and over in one session).

Anyhow, they are still mostly fun but only cause I haven't burned away my soul by chain running them yet.
Bye space sword!

Lightfeather
Site Admin
Site Admin
Custom Rank: Your Admin
Games: World of Warcraft
Guild: Broken Circle

Postby Lightfeather » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:52 am

I'm excited to go as well, but Damon's giving me shit because I don't have an Exotic armor set to dungeon with yet. Just my magic find yellow set. He pretty much said, "If you don't get your shit together and get an exotic dungeon set we'll leave you behind and take a pug who did."

D=

He's just mad because I buy a few mini-pets and dyes with my game cash to help fill out my collection before I log out every night and apparently that's irresponsible of me. But my reasoning is, in real life, we're broke and there is never any cash left over for any treats of any kind, ever. So I am spoiling myself in my fake life. Of course, now I have to be responsible in fake life too and it's making me want to shoot myself in the head.
ImageImage

Rocketdog
Drunken Pirate
Drunken Pirate

Postby Rocketdog » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:28 am

I don't have a dungeon exotic set. I don't know if i want to craft it. It is a copy from the low karama gear you can get in MS so it's unoriginal. I know I can skin it how I want but i wanted something more fabulous and a little hard to find.

Munki
Custom Rank: Alouette, gentille Alouette

Postby Munki » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:44 pm

I'm confused... I thought the Exotic crafted pieces were unique.

http://www.gw2armor.com/human/female/cr ... isplay.php

Pretty sure that armor skin is only used for the 80 exotic crafted gear made @ 400 tailoring. What karma gear in MS(? I'm still learning stuff, so not sure what this stands for) are you talking about?
Space for Rent

Rocketdog
Drunken Pirate
Drunken Pirate

Postby Rocketdog » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:09 pm

I found it on GW2 wiki. They are probably wrong then. Still, that gossamer set is foogly.

Sord
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Sord » Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:28 am

Personally I think getting your exotic set now is the way to go. You won't have to upgrade it basically until they release an expansion. Get it done now so you can be at your maximum potential for everything else, be it WvW or dungeon runs or even event farming. If you have your max stats now, everything after becomes more efficient, thus dyes and minis come way faster than you'd be getting them now :P

I sit in my magic find set a majority of the time and other than seeing my awesome manboob tattoos, I dislike it. But in the end, it makes everything else I do better. The new look will come in time. Check out your T1 and T2 cultural sets for skins. They are fairly affordable at end game and might be a decent alternative. Or scan the various database sites out there and cherry pick items from the trade post to use as skins. There are some good ones out there. They may or may not be somewhat expensive though.
Bye space sword!

Rocketdog
Drunken Pirate
Drunken Pirate

Postby Rocketdog » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:23 am

Sord, did you only make an exotic fighting set? Is your magic find still yellow level?

Return to “Guild Wars 2”