GW2 Launch: Thoughts?

No monthly fee! *And there was much rejoicing...*
Munki
Custom Rank: Alouette, gentille Alouette

GW2 Launch: Thoughts?

Postby Munki » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:33 am

Ok, so now that the game's Headstart period has passed and the official launch has happened, I was curious what people thought about the game at this point. Some of us here didn't play in any of the Betas (or at least did not spend much time there) and some have basically not followed the game at all. Some like myself have followed it heavily and played in a significant amount of BWE / Stress Tests.

I'm curious at people's opinions on the game. For us people who have a lot of experience of the game, how was launch? How about changes you've found in the game, or things that might have been forgivable in Beta but not in Live? People who are playing for the first time, what do you think? Are you enjoying the game? Is the extreme lack of Tutorials really putting you off from the game?

As for myself;

The game has a TON of niggling annoyances and problems, but thankfully the game proper is pretty fantastic and solid. I'm *really* disappointed in how much Bank space we are given coupled with the relatively high gem cost of more slots. The issues with the Overflow system is really annoying, even if I've been able to 'brute force' my way in to friends overflow shards fairly easily. The lack of Dungeon Finder worries me for dungeons, although I'm not there yet.

I had a relatively smooth launch experience. I did not really have much in the way of crashes or disconnects. Lag was honestly at a minimum for me. Of course there were hordes of people in the start zone, but I paced myself by playing alts, or spending extra time in starter zones (I did all of Wayfarer Foothills and Cadelon Forest on my Ranger).

I'm very happy with how active Grog has been so far. I am trying to keep our doors open a lot wider than we have in the past. If you meet cool people in your travels that you think would enjoy being in Grog, let an officer know! For the Record, Myself, Feather, Sord, Junon, and Rhoa are all officers... any of them can invite people. We are taking a more relaxed invite process but will not be afraid to remove people who just don't feel like they fit the guild. We've had a great turnout for the game and hopefully it won't have a sharp drop off in a month :D

I'm *loving* my Ranger. I'm playing mostly in Melee and using a lot of Traps for AoE situations. I spent most of my time with a Greatsword, although I've been using 1h Sword+Dagger as well now. I also am enjoying my Mesmer Alt quite a bit as well. Funny enough, while I was in love with the Guardian in Beta, I haven't really spent much time on it yet.

In short, for me the game has been awesome. There are plenty of issues in the game right now, primarily in the 'quality of life' area. There are some major bugs, but so far nothing has really dramatically reduced the fun I'm having. Hopefully Arena Net can knock some of these issues out in a fairly rapid fashion, and get that Guesting feature in :) Although I'm pretty sure that 99% of the people I know all got on Yaks Bend, so I really don't have a powerful need for that feature anymore.
Space for Rent

Rocketdog
Drunken Pirate
Drunken Pirate
Games: Sims3, Skyrim

Re: GW2 Launch: Thoughts?

Postby Rocketdog » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:13 am

I keep getting an email:

Somebody (hopefully you!) asked to reset the password on your Guild Wars account.

To change your password, click the link below.

<link>

If you did not request to reset your password, you can ignore this email and no changes will be made to your account.

What should I do?
Rocketdog | Vendela | Badgley| Biviel | Sharon | Dr. Hot&Awesome

Munki

Postby Munki » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:15 am

First off, try and log in to your account on http://www.guildwars2.com

Hopefully you haven't been hacked o_O. From there, if you are still fine it may end up just being a mistake on their email system. If you WERE hacked it's time to contact support.

I got one of those emails today as well, but I actually changed my password last night to something more 'obtuse'... all the people saying they got hacked scared me. I'm used to having an Authenticator.
Space for Rent

Munki

Postby Munki » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:21 am

Also, don't do anything like clicking links in the email you got ... lots of phishing going on for the game atm. Make sure any account checking you do like I suggested above is specifically done through the official GW2 site (aka www.guildwars2.com)
Space for Rent

Rocketdog
Drunken Pirate
Drunken Pirate

Postby Rocketdog » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:41 am

I can log into the account page and the game. I didn't touch any of the link either. Hopefully it's just an error on their email.

Really wish they'd make an authenticator.

Kiawah
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Drive fast, take chances

Postby Kiawah » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:05 am

I got the same email. Must be a bug, unless we're visiting the same pron sites.

Munki

Postby Munki » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:21 am

There is a pretty big rash of hackings going around from what I can tell, and this is a very good post on what to do.

Spoiler: show
Lately, the #1 way hackers steal people's gaming accounts is by hacking into Gaming Fansites (which usually have really crappy security) and lifting unencrypted e-mail/password RIGHT OFF THE SITE'S DATABASE SERVER - IN SOME CASES, IT'S RIGHT IN PLAIN TEXT.

Once they get that, they try to log into ALL you accounts with the same e-mail/password combo.

So, if you are LAZY and you use the same e-mail/password for all your online accounts, chances are, all your accounts are compromised.

Best way to avoid this common hacking method is to have completely different passwords for every single e-mail/account/fansite/game that you log into on the internet. And your passwords themselves should have different letter cases and special characters and numbers in them to make Brute-Force attempts virtually impossible.

If you use the same password and e-mail for every log-in you have, then you will be comprmised. Guaranteed.

Only the top companies actually even encrypt account information to begin with. So even if they get hacked, at least your data is still sitting behind a very tough to crack encryption.

However, fansites usually live off of drive-by advertising and I can pretty much assure you that they don't store your data securely at all. These sites are where most hackers are getting people's information and then the hackers try the same log-in information against all your other online accounts. Not too mention that Fansite Employees can access your log-in details and there is really no credibility or background checking that you can rely on when it comes to fansites. You have no idea who can see your data or what their motives may be.

TL;DR - change all your passwords and make sure they are all different and unique and never use the same password for more than one online log-in account.

EXAMPLE: IF YOU LOG INTO THIS SITE WITH THE SAME PASSWORD YOU LOG INTO GUILD WARS 2, YOU BETTER CHANGE BOTH PASSWORDS TO SOMETHING DIFFERENT RIGHT NOW. AND IF YOU HAVE THE SAME PASSWORD FOR YOUR E-MAIL TOO, CHANGE THAT TO SOMETHING DIFFERENT TOO. AND NEVER USE THE SAME PASSWORD FOR ALL YOUR ACCOUNTS.

(I'm not accusing guildwarsguru2 of being shady - I'm just saying any good hacker using a SQL Injection attack can get through this site's security and how your data is stored on the Curse.com's servers is anyone's guess)

the long and short of it is, you should really make sure your GW2 password is a unique password, that you don't use on anything else like an easy to hack fansite. I changed mine last night. Considering Battle.net was hacked in recent history, as well as a number of fansites, many people can be comprimised without any sort of crap like trojans or phishing.

Change your GW2 password to something you only use in GW2. This will be the best defense until A-Net gets off their ass and makes authentication services in some way.
Space for Rent

Munki

Postby Munki » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:08 am

Reading more on this subject... any of you who have got the password reset mail might want to change your password. THere is a good chance said email indicates someone managed to brute force their way through and was trying to reset your password. Since right now we have only one layer of security (fucking authenticators, get on with it NCsoft!) your best bet really is to go and make a very long and complex password. Remember, you only have to enter it once, and click 'save password' :D
Space for Rent

Kiawah
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Drive fast, take chances

Postby Kiawah » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:26 pm

Yeah I did go into the site and change it from my work computer

GW is awesome though, hope I still have an account when I get home

Bree
Buccaneer
Buccaneer

Postby Bree » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:48 pm

On their website if you click on security, it shows you log ins and it shows me that someone in China tried to log into my account. I too got that e-mail, did not click the link and went to the website direct and changed my password. Hopefully they didn't get into my account. Going to check it now.

Munki

Postby Munki » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:18 pm

One thing people should consider doing is changing up their account emails. One of the big problems I think is the fact Battle.net was hacked in recent history. That means the email account that most of us use for our games are floating around on the internet, in a list for "MMO account emails". This means it's not too hard for them to go through the Forgot Password interface entering in these emails that eventually return info tha says "oh this is a valid GW2 account" type deal.

Once they know they have a valid account they can start trying to Brute Force it. If you have a particularly long / strong password you will probably be safe. However, all it takes is adding a simple tag to your email and you could be even safer.

If you use gmail, you can add a tag by doing this:

123test@gmail.com is our example email account. You can tag it by doing this... 123test+guildwars2account@gmail.com. Everything between the + and the @ is ignored by the gmail system. That means that any email I send to 123test+guildwars2account@gmail.com will actually be sent to 123test@gmail.com.

Pretty much all public email systems do this btw. A quick google search will tell you what to do for your specific one (I think + is the symbol for gmail and hotmail... it's easy to test by sending yourself an email to the tagged version, and seeing if you get the mail).

Using the above method, you can just append some sort of tag (doesn't have to be GW2 related, just something you'll remember for logging in!) to your account email info on http://www.guildwars2.com and effectively have a 'new' email account. This will help as it means the hackers don't actually have your valid account name anymore, meaning they can't attempt to brute force you. Of course, you won't want to USE the same tags for anything else, just keep it unique to GW2. This, combined with having a good password that is 10-15 characters long, should ensure you will be TOTALLY safe until they get around to making authenticators. I did a lot of research on this subject today, so hopefully this info helped :)
Space for Rent

Feaduin
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Billions and billions eaten.

Postby Feaduin » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:35 pm

Frakkin' Celestials.

Feaduin
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Billions and billions eaten.

Postby Feaduin » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:47 pm

Oh right... I had trouble figuring out what some of the icons meant. I'm glad someone pointed out the blue thing with the red X meant "not usable underwater" in guild chat but seriously... they need to put that shit on mouseover. That blue thing wasn't obvious and was partially obscured by the red X. Until I was told that it was a drop of water, I thought it was trying to tell me No blue guys :P

Rocketdog
Drunken Pirate
Drunken Pirate

Postby Rocketdog » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:29 pm

There is now an email authentication thing where they will send you an authorization email from a login attempt and you can verify your IP/location.

Teasing_Pink
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber
Games: Guild Wars 2, Secret World

Postby Teasing_Pink » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:41 pm

I didn't play in the beta at all, so I have no idea how things fared then, but I've been pretty impressed by the launch. Haven't run into any noticeable bugs, and the overflow server functionality is pretty golden, given the alternative is waiting in a queue. And there is the bonus quirk that crafting nodes are on different timers on the overflow and main server, so rejoining Yak's Bend frequently refreshes my harvesting.

Enjoying the game itself a lot more than I was expecting to. I think being rewarded with exp for doing anything and everything is contributing a lot to that, so I never feel like I'm wasting my time exploring or harvesting.

Been playing a necromancer so far, despite thinking I was going to play a mesmer when they did the class announcements. Necromancer is fun, but damn the necro spell effects have been underwhelming so far. Every time I see a mesmer do something, I consider rerolling, and feel a twinge of regret. But I've sunk too much time into exploring and crafting to switch now. I'm going to hold out hope that Arena.net revisits the visuals sometime.

Sidonia
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Custom Rank: Donner of the Robe and Hat
Location: A world of my own... but it's ok, they know me here

Postby Sidonia » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:05 pm

While I had access to all BWE's, my work schedule didn't allow for a whole lot of play time, but my impression of the launch so far has been pretty good. I can't say as I've run into any real game issues, aside from the retarded event in the Asura starting area with the reactor. From what I understand, Dungeons are of almost comparable difficulty.. which is gonna be a little crazy.

My only big complaint I guess is with crafting. While some of the basic materials aren't too hard to get.. all the little bullshit items <claws, blood, venom sacs> are just a royal pain in the ass to get and you need a lot of them. Getting Gems for jewelcrafting is also a little irritating. Sure I'm already mining the ore anyway but seems like I have waaaaaaaaaaay more ore than I have jewels to use.

Sord
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: The Trev

Postby Sord » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:40 am

Now that the trading post is up, I think crafting will be easier. The prices weren't that bad for the first tier fine mats (~40-80c per). I think prices are going to be pretty reasonable for a good while. There are a shitload of them posted. I love that the trading post is game wide.

As for my post launch thoughts: I'm having a blast playing. I'm enjoying exploring. I've maxed out the map in 3 cities so far and through 3 leveling zones. With my love for exploring comes a price - the stupid bug with the camera sticking when you are close to a wall. It makes some jumping puzzles needlessly difficult. I can't imagine it is intended. I have no patience though so I'll sit and piss myself off by failing over and over again when it isn't really anything I can control.

I wish the ability to join your friend in the overflow was less shitty. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Fix the overflow issue and the camera issue and I have basically nothing bad to say about the game. I've been waiting a long time for this game and I'm really glad that it seems to be delivering the fun I was hoping it would be.
Bye space sword!

Rocketdog
Drunken Pirate
Drunken Pirate

Postby Rocketdog » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:25 am

I didn't get my hat and shoes in the mail!!! /cry

Sord
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Sord » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:32 am

They are forever lost to the nether :( At least its all just low level shit. You'll probably find something just as good on a karma vendor. If you save some up instead of blowing it all on food :P
Bye space sword!

Rocketdog
Drunken Pirate
Drunken Pirate

Postby Rocketdog » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:44 am

Karma Food isn't that expensive. Now I'm using my wood on artificing. I love crafting so much. Mostly because it grants levels and you can do EVERYTHING.

I traded some gems for game money and bought some vendor gold armor. I got a cute outfit that should last me a good while. Still looking for the red riding hood one...lol

Sord
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Sord » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:00 am

Where does one buy gold quality armor from a vendor? I may be interested in doing that myself.
Bye space sword!

Rocketdog
Drunken Pirate
Drunken Pirate

Postby Rocketdog » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:09 am

Sord wrote:Where does one buy gold quality armor from a vendor? I may be interested in doing that myself.

The one in divinitys reach is on the top floor in the outer ring of that noble garden. They're labled Tier vendors. Tier 1 is lvl 35 and chest piece of 80 silver.

Marcallo
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Grand Wizard

Postby Marcallo » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:11 am

Now that the AH is in I gotta say I LOVE how they set it up. The commodities style where you basically bid on quantities is fantastic. ST:O did that in their Dilithium exchange and I always thought it was a great way to gauge the economy without need of an auction watching program. If you're feeling frisky you can buy up a ton of the stuff and sort of reset the market. Though I'd only do that with super rare items.
Dog carcass in alley this morning, tire tread on burst stomach. This city is afraid of me. I have seen it's true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"...

...and I'll look down, and whisper "no."

Mentu
Drunken Pirate
Drunken Pirate
Custom Rank: Cool Guy
Guild: Grog of War

Postby Mentu » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:49 am

Could someone with cooking make me blueberry pie, or better version strawberry pie

Marcallo
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Grand Wizard

Postby Marcallo » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:03 am

Did they nerf cooking somehow? I saw a bunch of posts on Gamefaqs about a stealth nerf that made a ton of the harder to get ingredients account bound. Are cooking recipes that overpowered? I was hoping to sell off my collection of strawberries once the TP came back up. I'd go look and see if they are bound, but I'm at work!
Dog carcass in alley this morning, tire tread on burst stomach. This city is afraid of me. I have seen it's true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"...

...and I'll look down, and whisper "no."

Return to “Guild Wars 2”