Banhammer Strikes!

No monthly fee! *And there was much rejoicing...*
Munki
Custom Rank: Alouette, gentille Alouette

Banhammer Strikes!

Postby Munki » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:39 am

So one thing that has been causing a vocal minority to be in an uproar on the various communities is the rash of bans that took place over the weekend.

The people who are complaining say they had NO indication on why they were banned, while a post on the GW2 subreddit today says that a reason is ALWAYS given... so whatever.

What is great though, is this subreddit thread. A GW2 employee is basically explaining the situation and offering a service for anyone that isn't sure what they are banned for by posting it in the thread. Basically most of the stuff is for Gold Selling (aka Hacked account), offensive names (Adolf Critler), and offensive Chat. Some of the stuff has cracked me up though.

"Can you check for a character named Bixx?" Response: "The name's fine. The chat? No so much: Bixx: Get out of here you gag faggot."

"Mind to check? My character name is Dachshund." Response: "Name: OK Chat: Not ok -- "i AM A DOG YOU NIGGER""

What is great is each time the person clearly has no idea why they were banned, only to get publicly outed when they ask publicly why they were. This thread has made my morning.
Space for Rent

Kiawah
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Drive fast, take chances

Re: Banhammer Strikes!

Postby Kiawah » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:22 am

link?

Munki
Custom Rank: Alouette, gentille Alouette

Postby Munki » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:40 am

Space for Rent

Sidonia
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Custom Rank: Donner of the Robe and Hat
Location: A world of my own... but it's ok, they know me here

Postby Sidonia » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:29 am

Yeah.. I work currently as hired outsourcing for a company to do a lot of their customer service for a fairly popular free game (to "buy" and play) as well, and that community is pretty similar. Feigned ignorance of what they've done wrong. One of the higher ups in the actual company in their player support area is fairly well known within that community on their forums for sometimes coming out and specifically saying "No. You are not innocent. You did A, B, and C fairly regularly. Your account will stay permanently banned." The best part? If they write a support ticket to us we give them the standard spiel and then tell them "You are free to make another account." So yeah.. we never really get rid of some of those players.. but hey.. we get their money again if they decide to participate in buying stuff that way again.

It's actually pretty similar to the excuses these people are giving and the response this Arenanet employee is giving back. Player feigning ignorance that rampant cussing and being overly negative and spiteful is not OK behavior and then ebing told "No.. not cool bro."

It's kind of amazing and depressing at the same time. Why do you not understand that rampant cussing, extreme negative and spiteful behavior, and being a complete jerk to other people is not ok? I'm not a prude.. I don't give a fuck about language, but when the bulk of your dialogue and attitude is like that.... come on.. don't be surprised when there is repercussions because a vast majority of your "peers" are not as relaxed about it as you may think they are.

Feaduin
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Billions and billions eaten.

Postby Feaduin » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:29 pm

I encountered someone who in my opinion, tried to purposely sabotage a happy occasion. During a particularly nasty event boss take down, people were celebrating and said let's take screen shots. One guy then proceeded to jump around presumably trying to be the focus of anyone taking a screenshot while somehow typing "NIGGER BITCH! NIGGER BITCH!" over and over. He was REALLY fast typing that over and over while jumping or more likely, he had a macro of some sort. Regardless of how he did it, it was quite disappointing to witness someone try to grief the area.

I should figure out how to report that shit. I hope someone knew how to so that guy basically paid 50 to 150 bucks for a 3 day game.

Return to “Guild Wars 2”