Star Wars; The Old Republic..

-Waves Hand- This is not the forum you are looking for.
Feaduin
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Billions and billions eaten.

Re: Star Wars; The Old Republic..

Postby Feaduin » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:09 pm

What kind of GFX is on your system? I'm curios on how laptops REALLY perform under pressure. I'm guessing TOR should really stress the Quadro 2000M i'm using since it was designed and optimized more for CAD stuff than gaming. IIRC the Furmark tests I ran yielded shitty scores.

Sord
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: The Trev

Postby Sord » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:51 am

I'm sad to report that my Alienware does not run Skyrim very well, even on low settings. =( I don't know the exact specs offhand but its supposed to be a damn gaming laptop. You'd think that even low settings, it wouldn't be that bad.

That being said, it has run other games well enough. I'll most likely get my MMO's installed on the laptop for travel purposes. MMO's tend to not have super huge graphical requirements so I'm guessing I'll be just fine. I remember my first Alienware laptop ran WoW beautifully. Even better than my PC at the time. I didn't know that Molten Core could actually look less terrible :P
Bye space sword!

Kiawah
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Drive fast, take chances

Postby Kiawah » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:13 am

I'm not sure what exact graphics card I have, but I can check when I get home later. I just have an HP (it's a higher end HP, but don't ever buy an HP anything). During the beta weekend last weekend, I didn't have any problems with TOR. I was getting 50-60 FPS, even in heavily populated areas. If you can get 50-60 FPS in WoW, you can get 50-60 FPS in TOR.

Feaduin
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Feaduin » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:52 pm

I have never tried to run WoW on this laptop so I can't use that to compare. I suppose I could go out and get Skyrim but while Skyrim sounds fun, I'm still wary of anything with a Bethesda label on it. By the time the GOTY or whatever edition comes out, the biggest issues will have been patched.

I can only compare my experience between my previous laptop and my new laptop runnng STO. But those results are quite predictable given that I was upgrading from a 8gig + dual core + half compromise Radeon to a 16gig + quad core + more capable nvidia. Running Furmark 1.9.1 gives me a pathetic score of 694/11FPS on 1080p and 801/13fps on 720p.

Kiawah
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Kiawah » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:31 pm

<a href="http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/computer_can_series.do;HHOJSID=1ClkTGbKLW3GVn6lWdYHJ7wdJ2ysrySQ91ppBnGch1wYQRzm91Jr!-1346241621?storeName=computer_store&category=notebooks&a1=Intel+processors&v1=Intel+2nd+gen+Core&series_name=dv7t_series&jumpid=in_R329_prodexp/hhoslp/psg/notebooks/Intel_2nd_gen_Core/dv7t_series">I have this laptop</a> with an AMD Radeon card (although like I said, I wouldn't recommend it).

When/If I get around to playing Skyrim I'll probably get it for XBox. I was going to do it during Thanksgiving, but I'll probably just try to play the TOR beta.

<a href="http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=10939389#edit10939389">BEST THING TO COME OUT OF TODAY!</a>
<a href="http://db.darthhater.com/talents/jedi_consular/force_wizard/">talent calculator</a>

Feaduin
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Feaduin » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:07 pm

So are they supposed to send me a link to the file I'll have to download? I'm guessing that it has to be HUGE and that I will need several days to download. I didn't see an invite yet and I don't want to run into the situation where all of us new rabble desperately try to download at the same time and end up overwhelming the servers or some shit. Or maybe it is P2P fileshare?

Kiawah
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Kiawah » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:21 pm

Feaduin wrote:So are they supposed to send me a link to the file I'll have to download? I'm guessing that it has to be HUGE and that I will need several days to download. I didn't see an invite yet and I don't want to run into the situation where all of us new rabble desperately try to download at the same time and end up overwhelming the servers or some shit. Or maybe it is P2P fileshare?

Probably around Monday or Tuesday... when you log into swtor.com/tester the page will look a lot different and there will be a link for the download. Don't go by any sort of invite or anything, just check swtor.com/tester... it will have all the info you need. If you're just seeing the default page, then there's nothing to do yet.

Kiawah
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Kiawah » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:39 am

Info on the emperor...

Spoiler: show
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Vitiate

Kiawah
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Kiawah » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:43 pm

Beta invites went out today... check swtor.com/tester

FYI... the time period for the testing is staggering, based off when you RSVP... if you wait until the last minute, you might not get to play until Sunday (and the testing ends on Sunday)

Kiawah
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Kiawah » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:16 pm

If anyone wants to play this weekend but didn't RSVP in time, I have a few spare accounts that are playable.

Feaduin
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Feaduin » Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:14 pm

I'm all set for 8am tomorrow. I suppose multiple pizzas and a several gallons of caffeinated beverages are in order. How many different basic character areas can be completed in 3 days?

Sidonia
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Custom Rank: Donner of the Robe and Hat
Location: A world of my own... but it's ok, they know me here

Postby Sidonia » Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:39 pm

You could probably complete them all in one day, if you are space bar/skipping through dialogue. If you want to sit and listen to every little line of dialogue multilple times across 8 characters, 1-2 days might be more accurate. 1-10 goes by pretty quick.

Kiawah
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Kiawah » Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:45 pm

I wouldn't expect too much this weekend. The server stability will probably be okay, but the starter areas are going to be crowded and the queues hella long. My very first play through it took me about 5 hrs to get through the starter planet completely... but that was not really knowing what I was doing and watching every cut scene. Once you get a feel for the game, you can probably get through it in a few hours (assuming the starter areas aren't packed). When I do my play through for real, I'll watch the cut scenes for my main class quest lines, but skip the ones for the side quests.

Marcallo
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Grand Wizard

Postby Marcallo » Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:44 am

I wonder if they have any metrics on people hitting space bar. Like 89% of people watch the main quest videos, but 62% skip side quests... How would you feel being the guy that designs the side quests? LOL
Dog carcass in alley this morning, tire tread on burst stomach. This city is afraid of me. I have seen it's true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"...

...and I'll look down, and whisper "no."

Feaduin
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Feaduin » Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:36 am

Been playing from 8AM til past midnight when they took the servers down. I was so absorbed that I was sorta playing for real with a character I didn't intend to play. I found the Trooper story engaging enough that I slowly got up to level 12.

With only 2 days remaining, I think I'll do a quick run for a few other character classes and skip story. I think it's kinda difficult to get a feel for how a class ultimately plays when you don't have enough time to really figure out their advanced class but oh well.

I found that I was able to turn up the graphics pretty high without noticing much of a hit. I'm forcing the onboard dedicated card to output to my TV in windowed mode. I set it to 1368 x 768 or whatever and then enlarged the window to almost fill the TV. I'm not sure if doing that increases the resolution or if that just simply blows up the pixels, but it works. The AA slider is greyed out though.

Anyone know if there is a command to show fps? is there a way to change keybinds or use a gamepad?
or move the UI windows?

Kiawah
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Kiawah » Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:56 am

ctrl shift F

You can change your keybindings in preferences, but you can't modify the UI at all.

Sord
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Sord » Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:02 am

I played for a few hours last night and I plan on playing for a good bit of the day when I get home in 2 hours. I made an imperial agent since they are the mirror for the smuggler and I wanted to get used to the mechanics without spoiling the smuggler opening. Cover is fun but feels kinda clunky at times. Not that it doesn't work, it just doesn't feel very fluid sometimes. I do like that you can go into cover anywhere, even if you aren't really behind anything, so you can use your abilities that require being in cover.

They sure weren't subtle about using WoW's control scheme, were they? Not that I'm complaining but even semi obscure buttons, such as the sheath/unsheath button are the same. (A lot of people rebound that shit in WoW and probably forgot about its functionality altogether). One thing I don't like is that your character sheet or inventory don't always appear in the same spot. They appear left to right in the order you opened them. I much prefer them to always open in the same spot like WoW. I'm not sure if that is an option or not but maybe its something I'll pass along as some feedback.

I'm feeling pretty good about my pre-order. It is familiar enough mechanics wise to hop right in but the setting and story are completely new and that will interest me for a good bit. I do like the little dialogue cut scenes quite a bit. Its a bajillion times better than reading crap in a difficult to read quest journal.

I have no idea what server I'm on. I just chose one that wasn't labled as full and went with it. I actually stopped doing side quests and stuck with the storyline missions instead. I just wanted to move on to see the class story. I'll do all the side quests when they actually matter. That is, when I own the full game.
Bye space sword!

Sord
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Sord » Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:09 am

On the topic of a customizable UI, I'm a bit torn. No matter how great you make your stock UI, someone with modding know-how can probably make a better one. I hope they at least allow UI mods for things like the chat box, hotkeys, health bars, etc and failing that, at least allow us to move the damn things around. On the other hand, you wont end up with a decursive situation like back in vanilla and devs don't have to balance content around the modding community. (Sup, Chromangus)
Bye space sword!

Kiawah
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Kiawah » Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:40 am

My biggest beef is just that you can't output a combat log. I don't necessarily mind no API for UI modifications, but with a combat log at least people could make DPS parsers, like Rift did. When raiding starts to actually matter is when not having addons will play a larger role, I'm sure.

Not having macros is pretty big too. Just so many, what you could call, basic MMO elements that aren't in the game yet. Ultimately it doesn't matter, as it'll get there eventually... and TOR isn't a game where anyone is going to speed level, so it'll be awhile before end game rampts up anyways.

I've been trying to speed level this go-round to see how fast I could do it. I got to about lvl 19 on Friday, but I won't get to play as much today. I roll'd a Sage during the beta weekend, but I've been doing a Smuggler so far. During the beta weekend, it seemed like there were even more people... especially doing the group quests. I didn't find a single group in Coruscant, and could only find 1 other person for Esseles. I like how they now display how many people are in the zone. But when I got to Taris... there was only like 3-4 people in the entire zone, and it felt like a ghost town.

I wanted to continue playing my Sage from the previous beta weekend, but the character won't load... so I roll'd a Smuggler instead.

Cover is kinda clunky, but you get used to it. Make sure you target an enemy first, before looking for a cover spot. You won't actually roll into cover unless you're targeting an enemy (that's something that took me awhile before I realized it). The Smuggler feels a lot weaker than the Sage, but I think it's only because the Sage gets a long CC pretty early. I was kinda bum'd too that the Scoundrel didn't get portable cover... but really except for the defense bonus, you don't really *need* cover as a Scoundrel (you do have to crouch, but you don't actually need to roll into cover unless you're planning on taking a lot of dmg).

The Smuggler's starter area was a lot less painful than the Jedi starter area though... that alone may mean I'll be a Smuggler as my first toon.

Feaduin
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Feaduin » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:07 am

I REALLY want to move the UI elements because I like to have things where I'm accustomed to having them... where it is fastest for me to navigate the various UI elements. I didn't get my 1st companion til I was level 11 so I found it odd that his control bar overlays the entire secondary bar of my own controls. Maybe it will work out with him just on auto or something.

Thanks for the tip on the keybinds. I hate default wasd as I like to strafe with A and D and not Q and E. Kiting the Savrip chieftains solo was confusing as hell when the keys are not where you expect them to be lol. I saw other lower level smugglers taking them down with ease because they had a companion or two while I had to resort to solo kiting. I'm supposed to be a tank dammit!

/edit oh bloody hell.. the keybinds are on a fucking tab at the BOTTOM instead of at the top. WHY did you have to do it that way? GRRRR...

Anyway I think I might continue the Vanguard line to just see how it plays with a companion. I'll even use the chat thing and try to be social and group up. I don't like being forced to socialize to use items though... that one is weird.

Oh and I hope there is a way to get the gamepad to work in the future. Finger-Twister is not my favorite thing to do while I'm being chased by a Rancor. Left Ring Finger - A; Left Index - 8 !!

Feaduin
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Feaduin » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:45 pm

Just finished my first social mission as a sith assassin. that was hella fun. And got a badass looking robe as well. Too bad it all gets poofed in a couple of days.

I enjoyed the randomness of the social dialogue choosing. You're never sure if your dialogue response will be selected. I thought it was a speed contest at first but it's just a random roll. In one convo, 1 person got lightside points for sparing the guy while everyone else chose to kill him which earned us dark side points.

I also appreciated the fact that you don't need a perfectly balanced group. My group was very tank heavy but the bounty hunter could stay in cover and dps while keeping us healed. LFG time was mercifully short because of that.

Lastly, Sith is way more interesting to play so far.

Sidonia
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Custom Rank: Donner of the Robe and Hat
Location: A world of my own... but it's ok, they know me here

Postby Sidonia » Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:54 pm

Kiawah wrote:and TOR isn't a game where anyone is going to speed level, so it'll be awhile before end game rampts up anyways.

What? Are you serious? There is still going to be that percentage of the player base who are going to speed through the game (even if they were enver in beta and it is their first experience) and get to the 'end' game before the first month is even up as always and who will be moaning and complain that there's only Dailies, PvP and a one Operation to do. There are plenty of 50's out there who know every little in and out of the game who are going to power through it again and join those people as well.

Unless I'm grouping with someone whose never played the game, I know I'm going to be skipping through dialogue I've listened to 10 times before until I get around Alderaan again as that's the furthest I've ever gotten on my characters and I'm sure there are plenty of others who are in the same frame of mind.

It might be awhile game development wise for the end game to ramp up, but for the player base to get there and want those things, it's not going to be very long at all.

Sord
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Sord » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:29 pm

Tier 1 talent to "Reduce damage taken by 1%"

Really? I thought we got away from stupid boring talents like that. How the hell did that make it through?
Bye space sword!

Evenflow
Drunken Pirate
Drunken Pirate
Custom Rank: More than just pumpkin bombs

Postby Evenflow » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:37 pm

So I've played a Jedi Consular Shadow up until level 20 this weekend during the beta. Really fun stuff and it was great seeing some throwbacks to the first 2 KOTOR games. Sadly, this might be the only Jedi experience I will have sometime. Sith ftw.

I love the game overall, but there are a few things that irritate me. The crafting system can be better. I don't like sitting around for 1-6 minutes waiting on an item or companion to return form a mission. And companions themselves are pretty useless (or maybe it is just the Consular one). They die so easy even with great gear. My companion also looks like Reptile from Mortal Kombat.
Avengers Assembling May 2012 - Felicia Day is ugly - December 20th is the day Darth Evenmaul is born.

Sord
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Sord » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:50 pm

The Sith Inquisitor companion is a fantastic tank. He tanked all of the first flashpoint for me and Amy (who played a bounty hunter). However, both times we had a big boss fight he ended up dying about 2/3 of the way through the fight and we had to continue with kiting. I think that was more of a failure in healing due to us not really knowing how to toss out the heals efficiently. He held aggro fantastically right up until he got smashed.
Bye space sword!

Return to “The Old Republic”