Star Wars; The Old Republic..

-Waves Hand- This is not the forum you are looking for.
PopnFresh
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Whatever Damon is, plus one.

Re: Star Wars; The Old Republic..

Postby PopnFresh » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:36 pm

The only game so far that I think really abused it was Dragon Age 2. Really, every single person I travel with is going to be bisexual? One or two is fine, but let's try to keep it somewhat realistic. Or maybe I'll cry oppression and say they're suggesting straight people are incapable of saving the world.
Poppin' up fresh, every time!
"Classic Wedge"

Sidonia
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Custom Rank: Donner of the Robe and Hat
Location: A world of my own... but it's ok, they know me here

Postby Sidonia » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:21 am

Well they *are* incapable of saving the world.. gees....

PopnFresh
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby PopnFresh » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:10 am

They have to leave it to...guys...

....like us....

/lockseyeswithsidonia
"Classic Wedge"

Kiawah
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Drive fast, take chances

Postby Kiawah » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:12 am

Major Revan novel spoilers (and TOR plots)...

Spoiler: show
http://forums.spacebattles.com/showthread.php?t=202146

The Jedi Exile dying was pretty obvious from the Taral V walkthrough video, and the fact that Revan is in stasis was also pretty obvious, which is a storyline for a few flash points. It also clears up why the Emperor is delaying his invasion of the Republic which was a major motivation in the Deceived novel.

Reserving judgment on the novel though until I read it.

After getting and reading a uncorrected proof of this story, pretty sure most people will think it sucks.

There are three main characters throughout: Revan, the Exile (now named Meetra Surik,) and a Sith Lord in the Emperor's service named Darth Scourge.

Revan's story is pretty simple. His dreams are bothering so he leaves his newly pregnant wife to go find out what's going on. He starts off his quest by visiting a planet the Mandolorians are on and helping Canderous find the old Mandalore's mask. Kills Canderous' wife in the process. The information he finds there leads him to the Emperor's home world, which has been stripped of life and made completely empty of the Force. Revan upon leaving is shot down by Scourge and his master and then drugged for two years so he can't do anything.

Scourge is also pretty simple. He's brought to the Imperial capital as part of a political machinations between the council right under the Emperor. He goes around doing things for them, though its pretty painful to read as he likes the tactic of bullrushing shooting enemies while hoping his armor protects him instead of blocking with his lightsaber and cutting people apart. Eventually he learns that the person he's under and a number of the people on the Dark Council are talking about betraying the Emperor because he wants to go after the Republic again. But they're all talk and don't do anything. Eventually they capture Revan and keep him captive for two years. Drugged Revan talks and does him mojo on this guy during this time, none that we actually see, and doesn't actually matter much since it doesn't come to much in the end. Except for the last bit, where he says he has a vision of escape.

Then you have the Exile, Meetra Surik. Bastila finds her and sends her after Revan. First thing you should know, is that Karpyshyn takes the game he did not write for and retcons everything interesting out of it. The Exile is a normal Jedi who was cut off from the Force and became a normal Jedi when she got it back. The Sith Lords are barely even mentioned aside from the fact that they hunted down the Jedi. Oh, Nihilus' power doesn't exist, in fact it can't exist. A big deal is made that the Emperor does the same thing and its something nobody has ever experienced before. The planet he stripped of the force to empower himself is very traumatic to Meetra, despite her in the game being the same thing. So, that part of the story of KOTOR 2 is retconned. Along with everything that came with it.

Anyway, she goes and finds this world and eventually ends up on the Imperial Capital. She finds Scourge, gets him to help her rescue Revan since he was told by him that a rescue would be coming and go and face the Emperor. Oh, Meetra is completely overwhelmed by Scourges master Sith through the use of Sith Lighting until Revan comes out and murderizes her to save the damsel. Anyway, they go face the Emperor where the three of them go face to face, until Scourge gets a vision of a different Jedi facing the Emperor. Figuring this must be the red skinned bastard's eventual killer, he stabs Meetra in the back with his lightsaber and the Emperor electrocutes Revan into submission. He locks Revan up in cryo to spend time plumbing his mind for information to help with his takeover of the Republic. Meetra's spirit refuses to join the Force and sticks with Revan to help him resist. Revan puts thoughts of caution into the Emperor's head, which is how he delays the coming invasion. The end.

I wish I was describing satire or fanfiction, but I'm not so lucky.

Marcallo
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Grand Wizard

Postby Marcallo » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:18 am

I don't know why but I always pictured Revan as a woman after I knew the whole story. I even thought that the "canon" Revan was a woman, but apparently Revan is a dude. Think about it though. He was born a Jedi, became a Sith, died, reborn, conquered the mandalorians and god knows what else, died, reborn again and still is around in the galaxy somewhere. That man deserves to retire!
Dog carcass in alley this morning, tire tread on burst stomach. This city is afraid of me. I have seen it's true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"...

...and I'll look down, and whisper "no."

Sord
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: The Trev

Postby Sord » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:47 pm

I pre-ordered the digital game through the Origin store thingy and registered my pre-order key. I kinda goobered and ordered the digital deluxe version when I really just wanted the Plain Jane version. Oh well.

I think it was during a week of non gaming, looking through my Steam list and realizing I didn't want to play any of this shit, god damn it. So I broke down and bought the pre order. Not that it does me any good. I still don't want to play most of my Steam games. =(
Bye space sword!

Marcallo
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Marcallo » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:56 am

Well I pre-ordered as well. Had a really good week at work and was a bit... how they say "afro-rich"... anyway. The game comes out Dec20th I figure I'll have a good month to two to play before my entire life gets turned upside down. BTW what's with that "pre-order fee" of 5 dollars? The DDE came out to like 80 bucks or some such. Craziness when I think about it.
Dog carcass in alley this morning, tire tread on burst stomach. This city is afraid of me. I have seen it's true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"...

PopnFresh
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby PopnFresh » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:48 pm

That's not a $5 addition. That's $5 down payment, essentially. You SHOULD only be cahrged that amount now, and the full amount later, but who knows. Origin kinda fucked up their messaging with that, but it is *not* an additional fee. You paid the same that anyone will pay when the game is released.

Damon should transfer guild leadership to me so we can get things rollin'! Also, I demand that we make a dark side guild somewhere as well, even if it's not our mains. Maybe it'll turn into another Bonechewer situation, but personally I do really like the stories and the content so I see myself much more willing to play dark side alts...
"Classic Wedge"

Kiawah
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Kiawah » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:21 pm

PopnFresh wrote:That's not a $5 addition. That's $5 down payment, essentially. You SHOULD only be cahrged that amount now, and the full amount later, but who knows. Origin kinda fucked up their messaging with that, but it is *not* an additional fee. You paid the same that anyone will pay when the game is released.

Damon should transfer guild leadership to me so we can get things rollin'! Also, I demand that we make a dark side guild somewhere as well, even if it's not our mains. Maybe it'll turn into another Bonechewer situation, but personally I do really like the stories and the content so I see myself much more willing to play dark side alts...

I hate to open this can of worms but we should totally go sith ;)

Munki
Custom Rank: Alouette, gentille Alouette

Postby Munki » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:48 pm

Nicole and I broke down and pre ordered.

Also, guild leadership has been passed to popn. I just want you to remember that you asked for it!
Space for Rent

Sidonia
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Custom Rank: Donner of the Robe and Hat
Location: A world of my own... but it's ok, they know me here

Postby Sidonia » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:01 pm

Son of a.... I need my butthole protector.

Feaduin
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Billions and billions eaten.

Postby Feaduin » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:37 pm

Re dark side guild: Considering how STUPID the Jedi Council actually is when seen onscreen in Eps 1-3 (hey its canon!), I wouldn't mind killing the fuck out of the Jedi. Then rezzing them with whatever power Palpatine was hinting at and then killing them again. Over and over. On the other hand, if you can get killed by a bunch of teddy bears with zero technology apart from FIRE, maybe I don't want to join them. I'm so conflicted!

Sord
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Sord » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:13 pm

I'll be honest. While the story stuff has me somewhat intrigued, I still don't have much interest in playing anything on the dark side.
Bye space sword!

Kiawah
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Kiawah » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:25 pm

I only bring it up because A) The Sith progression videos look a lot cooler than the Republic. Honestly both the Jedi and Smuggler progressions look pretty lame. And B) While it's not a certain, everything so far points to the Sith being the more populated side, which will make PVE groups a lot easier to come by.

Sord
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Sord » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:35 pm

Which will also lead to them being terrible at PVP, raiding and having a larger population of asshats! :P If you want a quick group, roll a tank, not a Sith!

Of course I'm looking at it through a different point of view. I'll be playing it mostly by myself and for a fairly limited time.
Bye space sword!

Kiawah
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Kiawah » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:38 pm

If you're an asshat, you don't have to fear asshats!

Marcallo
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Marcallo » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:32 pm

I REALLY like the bounty hunter story. So much that I stopped playing my beta one to save for live.

Evenflow
Drunken Pirate
Drunken Pirate
Custom Rank: More than just pumpkin bombs

Postby Evenflow » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:34 pm

News from New York Comic Con:

-There will be 15 Flashpoints at launch (more than I expected)
-You can leave you starting/home world after about 30-40 minutes of gameplay to play with you pals, but you can't interact in their quests and you miss out on your own starting quests.
-Your starship will serve as a housing quarters for your items. This is pretty cool

I'm also really digging the news on the revamping of the mod system with items. I can't wait for this game.
Avengers Assembling May 2012 - Felicia Day is ugly - December 20th is the day Darth Evenmaul is born.

PopnFresh
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby PopnFresh » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:47 pm

Did they just say 15 flashpoints, or did they give context with the comicon announcements? It's both more and less...I believe the Republic and Empire get three exclusive flashpoints for their respective sides, so that there will be 12 available to any one character as they level up. But then also heroics for all nine of the faction neutral ones.

Also kinda curious about how they phrased the thing about leaving your starting world to play with bros. Like, sure you can play with friends on other planets from the start, but you will have to go back and do your starting quests also. You'll hit a wall otherwise.
"Classic Wedge"

Evenflow
Drunken Pirate
Drunken Pirate

Postby Evenflow » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:36 am

All I read from the live blogged Q & A was that you can leave and play with your doods, but you can't interact with their missions and quests. Nothing was said about hitting a wall unless it was over looked in the question and answer session.
Avengers Assembling May 2012 - Felicia Day is ugly - December 20th is the day Darth Evenmaul is born.

Bree
Buccaneer
Buccaneer

Postby Bree » Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:13 pm

I wouldn't suggest leaving your starting area/quest line. From the character I played you have to do your quests up through a certain point at the minimum. Not like you would be away from friends for a very long time, couple days at most until you go to a big city.

Kiawah
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Kiawah » Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:05 pm

It's pretty much impossible to just leave your starting area, considering you have to do your main arc in order to get your ship.

Evenflow
Drunken Pirate
Drunken Pirate

Postby Evenflow » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:51 pm

I was just stating what the developer said during the live Q&A at NYCC. :mrgreen: Don't shoot the messenger!

PopnFresh
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby PopnFresh » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:01 pm

But I HATE messengers!

The Q&A comment is true, but only technically. Players will find spaceports fairly early - maybe even less than 30 minutes in, depending on the planet (I'm looking at you, Hutta!) - and they can then visit the fleets or the other starting planet, but the feature is more there for the Feathers of the world who want to fill out their Codex than for actual group fun. You don't get ANY quests on the other starting planet, at least as of now it's not limited to just story quests that you're barred from. So you'd literally be leveling off of experience grinding from killing. And then, yeah, it technically might be possible to get high enough level to get to the next planet, but you'd be freezing yourself out of all companions (and by extension, crafting) and story quests.
"Classic Wedge"

Feaduin
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Billions and billions eaten.

Postby Feaduin » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:07 pm

Well how long does it take to finish off the noob sections anyway? I'm guessing that it won't force you to game for days or weeks before you could join your friends, right?

Return to “The Old Republic”