Star Wars; The Old Republic..

-Waves Hand- This is not the forum you are looking for.
Sidonia
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Custom Rank: Donner of the Robe and Hat
Location: A world of my own... but it's ok, they know me here

Star Wars; The Old Republic..

Postby Sidonia » Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:36 am

The new MMO, brought to you by Bioware and Lucas Arts.. Star Wars; The Old Republic

Screwtape
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Sexy Pahties!

Re: Star Wars; The Old Republic..

Postby Screwtape » Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:44 pm

Tears of joy.

"Star Wars: The Old Republic takes place approximately three hundred years after the events of Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (KOTOR). At the conclusion of the Jedi Civil War in KOTOR, Revan disappeared into unknown space in search of a great threat to the Republic, an expanding Sith Empire led by a mysterious Emperor who planned vengeance for his ancient Jedi enemies. Revan never returned from unknown space, but the Sith Empire did, kicking off a war with the Republic that lasted for decades. Now, despite the uneasy truce created by the Treaty of Coruscant, the tension among the divided star systems is threatening to once again tear the galaxy apart."

So I guess KOTOR3 is out of the question. CURSES! I mean, hey, MMO, cool, but I would've liked that story arc with Revan and the Exile to have been finished. Maybe I'll see some closure in this MMO.

Also, Screenshots- *swoon* If this MMO lets me down whenever its released (possibly the year eleventy billion and 2) I may just move to the woods and become a hermit in heartbreak.
I will enthrall you with my Puerto Rican voodoo love charms.

Waits
Quartermaster
Quartermaster
Custom Rank: Seaman

Postby Waits » Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:27 pm

Looking forward to this one.

Munki
Custom Rank: Alouette, gentille Alouette

Postby Munki » Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:08 pm

If they can deliver on some of the things they are promising, it could be pretty awesome. I'm really hoping someone really takes a stab at making MMO 2.0 soon. I like MMOs, but it's time for their gameplay / systems to advance a step :)
Space for Rent

Tamayo
Captain
Captain

Postby Tamayo » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:44 pm

The screens look terrible, wtf is up with the jumbo lightsaber hilts that look like those kid toys?
"Critics who treat adult as a term of approval cannot be adult themselves. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

PopnFresh
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Whatever Damon is, plus one.

Postby PopnFresh » Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:36 pm

Tamayo wrote:The screens look terrible, wtf is up with the jumbo lightsaber hilts that look like those kid toys?

The game actually looks gorgeous for an MMO, but yeah, the lightsaber hilts in the screenshot look a little oversized. Weird. I mean, sure, it makes sense when you think about the fact that lightsabers as an in-game item don't have a lot of attributes that can be changed to make them look unique outside of color, but big hilts? Blasphemy!
Poppin' up fresh, every time!
"Classic Wedge"

Screwtape
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Screwtape » Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:29 pm

You know what they say about Jedi with big hilts, don't you?

PopnFresh
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Whatever Damon is, plus one.

Postby PopnFresh » Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:06 pm

I just know hilt size is directly proportional to midochlorian count. Luke and Vader were actually sissies compared to the jedi out there with saber hilts so big they can't carry them around, so they're forced to just hang out and pump their midochlorians all over the faces of anxious twi'leks.

Bukakhorian party!
Poppin' up fresh, every time!
"Classic Wedge"

Phat.Stack
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Master of the Psychic Dragon Punch

Postby Phat.Stack » Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:06 pm

What that site could tell us about the game is all dependent on how true to the game mechanics those screenshots are.

A few potential systems in the game based on those screenshots are:

Low lightsaber strikes are very powerful. Expect the high ground to play a significant role in combat. Perhaps you get a free hit on the opponent's limbs?

Based on the statue in the background of the second lightsaber duel screenshot there is a world of warcraft connection. Perhaps Thrall will be an important NPC? Maybe a playable orc jedi race spawned from thrall and jaina who traveled a long long time ago to a galaxy far far away if they want the WoW connection to have less of an impact on the over all storyline.

In that same pic, note again the use of low strikes. Not only are they powerful, but they also produce huge balls of energy. Perhaps there will be a blind system where you attempt to create those balls of energy to blind someone while they are looking down... at your balls. Balls balls balls.

The low lightsaber strike system (or LLSS for short) looks to be very faced paced where jedi furiously hack at each other's knees while observing their opponent's balls carefully to give them an edge in combat. Probably going to have a system that's more fast paced than CvS2 or SF4, but not MvC2 because that shit is crazy.

Notice how the droids with blasters in the next pic have no balls. It makes sense that Jedi kill droids in a rock paper scissors type system. If Jedi kill droids and droids kill bounty hunters THEN WHO WAS PHONE?

The next pic is boring as shit. Maybe there is going to be a "sit around looking at buildings and shit" system. That would suck. Plus it would be tons slower than the combat system. However, if you can make gold doing it, chinese gold sellers will fucking max that skill out.

Look at that bad ass storm trooper in the next screen shot. He is obviously raping the shit out of whatever he is shooting at off screen. I predict storm troopers to totally have a "fire gun" skill. It will probably make them able to hit targets easier with their blaster. Unless they are fighting a jedi... then the jedi will rape them with their high ground low lightsaber strike energy balls attack. Also known as the Jolly Roger. Fuck that move... its going to be OP'd.

Sure its all conjecture and yes it all depends on how close to the system those pics end up being, but there is plenty of info you can glean from those pics. The info might seem trivial... but to a fighting game player, it really isn't. Because we are hardcore and have hardcore balls.
Last edited by Phat.Stack on Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Screwtape
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Screwtape » Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:38 pm

You win 7 internets.

Tamayo
Captain
Captain

Postby Tamayo » Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:12 pm

"Critics who treat adult as a term of approval cannot be adult themselves. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Munki

Postby Munki » Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:30 pm

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-09-star-wars/49937

E3 Fancy CGI trailer that is meant to hype us up without revealing pretty much anything.

Mission Successful!
Space for Rent

Tamayo
Captain
Captain

Postby Tamayo » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:43 pm

holy wow that was an amazing trailer... I really hope this game is good, and redefines the stale MMO genre

Tamayo
Captain
Captain

Postby Tamayo » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:00 pm

The voice actor in that sounds like Bill Nighy of Underworld/PotC fame... dunno if it is, but awesome voice

Kiawah
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Drive fast, take chances

Postby Kiawah » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:10 am

Wow, that was badass

Marcallo
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Grand Wizard

Postby Marcallo » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:17 am

Somewhere there I read it said "Wow that was better than episodes 1-3 combined". I'm inclined to agree. I'm also inclined to realize that no MMO can have that kind of action on that large a scale. So I wonder what the "actual" game will look like. I'm leaning towards tabula rasa with a better storyline and lightsabers.
Dog carcass in alley this morning, tire tread on burst stomach. This city is afraid of me. I have seen it's true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"...

...and I'll look down, and whisper "no."

Munki

Postby Munki » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:06 am

From what I've been hearing it's closer to KOTOR than it is to other MMO's. Not really sure how the combat will work out, but I would not be surprised to find it being a mix between wow and TR.
Space for Rent

Tamayo
Captain
Captain

Postby Tamayo » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:44 pm

I just want Bioware to shake up the MMO format and make it about fun, storytelling, and adventuring rather than just playing the same dungeons over and over beating the same boss over and over to get a new +5 lightsaber. I think if anyone is up to the challenge it's Bioware. The question is, what will they do to keep people involved if loot grinding isn't the focus?

They're talking about how it might have the most spoken dialogue out of any project ever, even movies and stuff. So I'm guessing there's gonna be a heavy emphasis on quests, and probably stuff that has an actual impact on the world rather than stuff that constantly resets. Think the AQ event in WoW, only maybe on a smaller scale, letting everyone feel like they're somehow making an impact. They could also take a page out of Eve Online's book in terms of crazy economic game play and running businesses, only make it less of a life dedication to participate in. I'd also like to see bounty hunting playing a large part in the game, with actual consequences for the players. They're really emphasizing how they want each player to have their own important story, so it would be cool if player vs player interacting ties into that aspect, where players can have rivals and they're tied together through story; or bounty hunters/targets are all tied together in story rather than just like SWG where you find them, kill them, take an ear or whatever and then they just come back. Imagine a bounty hunter constantly screwing with a person as they go about their routine in game, being on a quest and all of a sudden this guy just shows up and messes everything up for you and then you go on the run, and because it's related to story the whole thing would be meaningful.

Yeah, now I'm just rambling. There's so much they can do to make it much more than just a loot grind based game, granted lots of the things would be way too ambitious and just not technically possible. But I am pretty confident that with Bioware's track record, they're gonna come up with something awesome. They may be even more suited than Blizzard at redefining the genre because in reality all Blizz did was perfect the existing formula; Bioware is more open to taking risks than Blizz while still keeping true to their roots.

Tamayo
Captain
Captain

Postby Tamayo » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:47 pm

Munki wrote:From what I've been hearing it's closer to KOTOR than it is to other MMO's. Not really sure how the combat will work out, but I would not be surprised to find it being a mix between wow and TR.

I'd be totally happy with Jedi Outcast's gameplay slapped into an MMO. How awesome would it be to have Jedi Outcast ground gameplay mixed with Freespace ship gameplay all slapped into a SW MMO package, I know it would never be an all out action MMO, but the idea of that has always made me giddy with joy.

Marcallo
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Grand Wizard

Postby Marcallo » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:52 pm

The Matrix Online REALLY tried to get the players involved and even went so far as to have live events with the actual characters from the movies. See my thread on that game to see how they are doing now. If they want to attract and KEEP the masses they need to make it a treadmill game. :(
Dog carcass in alley this morning, tire tread on burst stomach. This city is afraid of me. I have seen it's true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"...

...and I'll look down, and whisper "no."

Tamayo
Captain
Captain

Postby Tamayo » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:15 pm

If that's the case, then this genre is a complete bust. I envision MMOs becoming like living pen & paper RPGs if they were ever to reach their real potential. Granted I'm not saying they should take out ALL treadmill type gameplay mechanics, but they need to be like Everquest and commit to either hardcore or casual, and not be like Blizzard where they try to balance both and end up trivializing all the hardwork early adopters put in by making shit casual. I think the hardcore content in MMOs should be limited to a small percentage of the games population. It's like how in the first year of WoW, seeing someone with purples was a huge deal "holy crap that guy has an epic!" and now it's like every single person who is max level has the stuff and it loses any meaning. But look at playing D&D, tons of people play it and have fun; but how many people that play D&D ever reach level 20 and beyond and kill the most powerful creatures (for example the terrasque). It's all content that is in the game, but most people don't ever get there, but they don't care because there's so much else for them to do. I would totally support this in an MMO; I WANT to be like "holy shit" when I see some guy with an awesome piece of gear and not thing "ho hum there it is again." I also like the idea of more elaborate quest lines that lead up to items. Think the quest chains in the beginning of WoW for the warrior class when they make their first set of armor and their first weapon. They make you travel all over the world and look for things you've most likely never seen before (assuming you're new to the game), those quests were one of the most enjoyable experiences I ever had in WoW; but imagine it on a much larger scale with more emphasis on exploration rather than just grinding mobs for drops. One of my favorite WoW stories comes from me and my buddy doing that quest; running through the barrens as two level 20 something warrior newbs and we're all scared cause its pretty much the first time we ever went into contested territory, and soon enough we begin to be pursued by two tauren and we're on the run. And then we're heading toward our destination (razorfen kraul) and we see this paladin around there and he yells to us "run into the instance!" and he charges at the tauren saving our lives. Granted that is a situation which had very specific set of events that led up to everything, but experiences like those that I had in WoW where it was actual open world character interaction had much more meaning than any of the raiding and grinding I did.

Oh, and the original reason I came back to this thread was to post this link to some gameplay impressions on TOR; darn me going on another tangent.

http://e3.gamespot.com/story/6210951/star-wars-the-old-republic-impressions-combat-bounty-hunters-smugglers-and-gameplay?tag=top_stories;title;4

It's still early, but it sounds promising. I know it won't meet probably half of my expectations, but I'll still give them my support if they can pull of compelling story telling.

Munki

Postby Munki » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:06 pm

I just wanna point out...

People like to throw that around, that blizzard needs to pick between the casuals and the hardcore.

I think blizzard's coffers are sayin otherwise... I think they are probably pretty damn happy with the way their game is going, wouldn't you?
Space for Rent

Tamayo
Captain
Captain

Postby Tamayo » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:32 pm

Touche. I guess I should rephrase and say I wish they would pick, not "they need to pick." Obviously what they're doing works for them financially. I'm just interested in seeing this genre evolve into the potential it really has. But maybe it'll never work that way because it's too ambitious :(

Kiawah
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Drive fast, take chances

Postby Kiawah » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:22 am

Tamayo wrote:I'm just interested in seeing this genre evolve into the potential it really has. But maybe it'll never work that way because it's too ambitious :(

The genre is more limited by technology than by ideas I would imagine. There have been lots of ambitious MMO projects that hoped to redefine the genre that were limited by bugs or gameplay that required too much development or only top end machines by users.

Maybe once we're all walking around with PCs implanted in our brains and monkeys taking over the world can MMOs reach their full potential.

Sord
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: The Trev

Postby Sord » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:40 am

I never really cared about what people who are not me had on their character (outside of my friends of course). It has no effect on how I play the game, unless its open world pvp or something and they have tons of uber gear and are just going around raping the rest of us. If someone has fancy shit and wants to stand around a social gathering hotspot and show off his threads, more power to him. Doesn't bother me any or cheapen my experience. If some guild kills a big baddie before I do, so what? Doesn't mean I'm going to stop trying.

No company can really cater to the hardcore anymore. The truly hardcore have nothing but time and can tackle stuff that isn't purposely impossible within a decent amount of time. Now if they were able to make bosses more dynamic and not just a script every time, it could be interesting. But thats going off topic.

I am pretty excited at the potential of this game but as others, I would like to see some gameplay first. Fancy videos are nice but don't really give us that much insight to the game, unless its SF4 and you are Phat.Stack :P
Bye space sword!

Return to “The Old Republic”