Would you play if it went F2P?

-Waves Hand- This is not the forum you are looking for.
Feaduin
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Billions and billions eaten.

Would you play if it went F2P?

Postby Feaduin » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:17 pm

I read somewhere that BW is considering going free to play soon. They claim their recent layoffs were always part of the plan but I would imagine that their planned layoff number increased significantly when the suits saw their ROI drop through the floor after so many unsubbed so soon. There are so many games grabbing our attention these days that I'm not sure a F2P business model would help because I don't think the issue of a monthly sub was the core problem players had with it.

Maybe it's time to move the entire TOR section into the Ye Olde section or games of the month or something. Sad times.

Bree
Buccaneer
Buccaneer

Re: Would you play if it went F2P?

Postby Bree » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:47 pm

If it went F2P I might mess around with it from time to time again. I didn't play it for very long honestly and I didn't get very high level so still a lot more to do on my main character.

Lightfeather
Site Admin
Site Admin
Custom Rank: Your Admin
Games: World of Warcraft
Guild: Broken Circle

Postby Lightfeather » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:49 pm

If it went free to play I'd definitely go back and get my main to max level at least. The reason I quit was because the monthly sub for two accounts was more than we could handle for the amount of time we played the game. There are a lot of games out there vying for attention to be fair and as I found myself logging onto the game less than once a week, I couldn't justify the expenditure.
ImageImage

Kiawah
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Drive fast, take chances

Postby Kiawah » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:41 pm

Possibly, if TOR was the only game left on the planet. But in a world that has GW2 a few weeks from release (and it is also f2p), I can't see a reason that I would play.

SectsDryve
Quartermaster
Quartermaster
Custom Rank: I'm a cotton headed ninny-muggins

Postby SectsDryve » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:48 pm

Kiawah wrote:Possibly, if TOR was the only game left on the planet. But in a world that has GW2 a few weeks from release (and it is also f2p), I can't see a reason that I would play.

Difference between a game that is f2p and a game that has no monthly charges that you bought.
Elune:
Jeabus-Human Warlock, Hoshi-Night Elf Druid, Ginkobiloba-Undead Mage

Sord
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: The Trev

Postby Sord » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:20 am

At this point? I doubt I'd play it. It would depend on the circumstances though. When it went F2P, what other games are available at the time, etc.
Bye space sword!

Kiawah
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Drive fast, take chances

Postby Kiawah » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:29 am

SectsDryve wrote:
Kiawah wrote:Possibly, if TOR was the only game left on the planet. But in a world that has GW2 a few weeks from release (and it is also f2p), I can't see a reason that I would play.

Difference between a game that is f2p and a game that has no monthly charges that you bought.

What's the difference? It's like asking what's the difference between a piece of burnt toast and a steak. Sure, both are food, but all things being equal I'll eat the steak.

Lightfeather
Site Admin
Site Admin
Custom Rank: Your Admin
Games: World of Warcraft
Guild: Broken Circle

Postby Lightfeather » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:44 am

I think the difference is, not that it would matter to the lot of us since we were early adopters, is f2p means you don't have to pay an initial 60 for the game. For us, we've already paid our $60, so monetarily it would be no different from GW2 in that you pay a lump up front but don't have a subscription fee.
ImageImage

SectsDryve
Quartermaster
Quartermaster
Custom Rank: I'm a cotton headed ninny-muggins

Postby SectsDryve » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:27 pm

Correct. The difference is paying zero money to play a game as opposed to paying sixty dollars to play a game.
Elune:

Jeabus-Human Warlock, Hoshi-Night Elf Druid, Ginkobiloba-Undead Mage

Munki
Custom Rank: Alouette, gentille Alouette

Postby Munki » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:37 pm

Just throwing this out there (hopefully ninjaing derek!)

http://www.swtor.com/free
Space for Rent

Feaduin
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Feaduin » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:56 pm

Looking at that chart, the F2P option seems pretty shitty. Can't do operations, limits on flashpoints and other multiplayer experiences, even limits on SPACE missions (?!). It looks like they just want to open up the single player part of the game and not much else.

I think that is REALLY stupid. After finishing the story, what else is there to do? The rest of it is pretty underwhelming outside the main story. Without shit to do, without improving the open world, there is little point to the game once the story is done.

I think if you really want to have your players come back and LIVE in a star wars universe, you have to expand it into something like EVE Online or something.

Sord
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Sord » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:27 pm

I dunno. The story is actually a pretty cool part of the game. If I had the choice to play through the story for free for the first time, I would.
Bye space sword!

Munki
Custom Rank: Alouette, gentille Alouette

Postby Munki » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:01 pm

Yea, I gotta agree with sord here, being able to fully play through the story for free is a pretty big thing. You could argue it is one of their biggest draws.

In the end though, limiting Flashpoints and Warzones is interesting... I wonder what the cap will be? If it's something reasonable like 5-10 a week I don't think it's that bad. Remember, in the end the free option really is intended to be for casual play, not people who will be running things like Raids (Operations) or a lot of PvP / Dungeons. I guess I've played enough Free 2 Play MMO's at this point that the options they give you are actually pretty decent. It's not TOO bad for free players and still encourages people to pay if they are going to play fairly often.

I think the thing that worries me most is 'limited travel options'. I'm not sure what that means, but it could either REALLY suck (some taxi points are locked out) or not be an issue (can't access the fastest mount speeds).
Space for Rent

Feaduin
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Feaduin » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:04 pm

Sorry but I never said that the story part sucks. In fact, I said the opposite in the second para. I'm pointing out that after you've given away the best part of the game, there isn't much to hold a player to the game to continue making money. Let's face it, F2P games are counting on their population to support it via micro transactions and not having something compelling to do will just make most people come in, check it out, and leave. Most subs probably quit after they played out whatever 1player story they were interested in and figured out there was "nothing to do" afterwards. You can't endlessly go into hutball queues without getting sick of it. FPs and OPs were either farmed or would soon be farmed and it became just like every other MMO out there but with much fewer options.

Star Wars is set as a space adventure/opera so why doesn't the game feel like we're in spaaaaace? Why can't I really fly a ship around to where I want to go, explore the universe, discover things along the way, create my own adventure? (Rail shooting, while entertaining, is not true exploration and is not an adequate substitute). Instead, TOR is just planets connected by cleverly disguised load screens. I think this is the weakness of all Bioware games since they moved away from Baldur's Gate style of cRPG. How do I fully invest myself long term into a toon I create if the story, the toon's destiny, has been preplanned for me (no matter how masterfully executed)? That is the Dev's toon with my custom skin on it, not my toon that I can shape and control. Doesn't matter how much customization there is, the destiny remains the same and once it's been played, it's done and extra character development just feels tacked on. Additionally, my experience will be almost identical to the next guy playing the same class so the experience is not unique to me. Was there a point to continue playing KOTOR after the story was done? Nope.

Given all I just wrote, I think that their fundamental problem won't be addressed with their new F2P model. They'll get vast new interest initially but they will churn through all the new-joins and they will also leave once they hit 50. Sure there will be a few that buy into it but a majority will see it for what it is.

Sord
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Sord » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:58 pm

As the game ages, there will be plenty of extra content that people may want to see. Being able to pick and choose exact features you want to play works pretty well. I think City of Heroes does the same thing and is pretty successful with it. City of Heroes has even less shit to do after leveling than TOR does.
Bye space sword!

Feaduin
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Feaduin » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:16 am

I just watched Caprica last week and then marathoned the reimagined Battlestar Galactica again these last few days. A question came to me that related to TOR's fortunes. I was asking myself if I would play a BSG themed MMO and what a BSG MMO would be like. The more I thought about it, the more I knew that BSG in an MMO format would ultimately suck. It would suck because in order to have an MMO, you need a broad base of gamers to play and support your game. And the devs believe, right or wrong, that the only way to create a successful mmo is to attract the broadest base of players which always means no twitch gameplay. So what's that leave us? Strange abilities deep in a skill tree with names like "Apotheosis", inventory items like "Ambrosia", getting DoT'd with "Mellorak Disease" - all trying to evoke the BSG universe but never truly capturing it. Without twitch gaming, you can't simulate the experience of gradually becoming a good Viper jock so the focus would be on the ground. "New Mission: The Fleet needs food! Skim the swamp for 500 clumps of algae and return them to the processing plant." Ughh... what the frak is this? Without the hook that makes this MMO unique, I wouldn't wanna play it.

That's the way I feel about TOR. Without real space combat, without a fundamental piece of what makes Star Wars what it is, TOR is really just Wars sans Stars. And what's worse is that because it was so easy to max out, I don't feel any real connection to my toon. I didn't have to work for it so I don't value it. Too bad because it had such good potential. My sub is still active but I just have no desire to play so i canceled. Even when it goes free, I dunno if I'll care.

Return to “The Old Republic”