Would any of these Razer TOR peripherals be worth it?

-Waves Hand- This is not the forum you are looking for.
Feaduin
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Billions and billions eaten.

Would any of these Razer TOR peripherals be worth it?

Postby Feaduin » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:18 pm

I'm looking for something to use besides my laptop keyboard + attached mouse.

I saw their new SWTOR set at the Razer site and I'm curious as to what you all think.

Headphones and mousepad i don't care about so we can skip that.

I can see the mouse being useful with so many commands to input in the game. And programmable macros can't be a bad thing, though it is something I rarely ever use.

But the keyboard for 250 bucks? This I'm definitely questioning the usefulness of. Would gestures on the trackpad really improve the game? What would it be used for? The buttons over the trackpad might be useful I guess but isn't that just duplicating the functionality of the number row?

PopnFresh
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Whatever Damon is, plus one.

Re: Would any of these Razer TOR peripherals be worth it?

Postby PopnFresh » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:16 am

The keyboard isn't worth it. It's slick and all, but it is most certainly not worth $250. Last I knew, the touchpad couldn't emulate numpad functionality, though that was using really early drivers. Even if it was $100, I'd say it's too much for a keyboard centered around a gimmick, even if the gimmick has the potential to be pretty sweet.

The mouse is cool. It still seems expensive for what you're getting, but not as shockingly expensive as the keyboard, at least in my mind. There's a learning curve for the buttons, but you really do get used to it, and whenyou do it can be really convenient. Plus, the Razer drivers are actually pretty sweet for the mouse (very easy to customize, and lots of minor options to toy with).

I say all this, btw, typing on a $18 Dynex keyboard, which was literally the cheapest thing I could find at Best Buy...after my Lycosa that I got for free for helping them out a bunch died because of a slight Mountain Dew spill. All the crazy gadgetry in those things make them less durable...or I guess less spill friendly at least, than other keyboards I've owned. I've liked their mice though, I've used a variety of them and it seems like they've got those things down.
Poppin' up fresh, every time!
"Classic Wedge"

Feaduin
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Feaduin » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:53 pm

Oh right... I forgot that this thread was still out hanging out there as a lingering question and I forgot to update what I ultimately decided to do.

I originally intended to get a keyboard that I could add to my laptop that was more WASD-gaming friendly. The Thinkpad CTRL key is just too difficult to accurately and reliably hit because of it's proximity to the WIN key and the FN key. It is possible to disable them but it isn't an easy process and I need to retain their use for other programs. The other issue is the 2 key limit that I wanted to address. But when I thought about it, a keyboard attached to a laptop seemed pretty odd and would push the laptop screen way back. I ended up making a compromise by going with their Nostromo game keypad which I placed to the left of the laptop.

Now I have my movement controls on the thumbstick like a 360/ps3 controller and the rest of the 17 buttons mapped to the abilities and as modifier keys. When I originally laid out my UI to suit the gunslinger, I laid out the abilities as logically as possible (especially because of the switches going in and out of cover) so it was already set up more or less for use with the Nostromo. Didn't take long to adapt at all.

As for the mouse, Best buy had 10 dollars off the Molten Naga so I went with that. It should arrive on Monday. And because I used the $100 gift cert for buying 5 other pre order games that I was talking about earlier in the year, my total damage came out to 44 bucks.

Lightfeather
Site Admin
Site Admin
Custom Rank: Your Admin
Games: World of Warcraft
Guild: Broken Circle

Postby Lightfeather » Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:42 pm

I couldn't have helped you here, I've been using the same keyboard and mouse for, oh, about five years now. Ain't nuthin' special either. No crazy extra buttons. It's only feature is that they are wireless.
ImageImage

Munki
Custom Rank: Alouette, gentille Alouette

Postby Munki » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:07 am

I really really wanted to like the Nostromo when I bought one a couple years ago. But in the end I just could not get in to it. The biggest annoyance for me was having o constantly take my hands off the device to type messages in chat on the keyboard. And I chat quite a lot, so this started to really become a pain in the ass. After about a day or two and realizing this particular issue wouldn't go away, I boxed it back up and returned it. It's a cool device that I really want to like, but it's just not for me.
Space for Rent

Marcallo
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Grand Wizard

Postby Marcallo » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:47 am

Lightfeather wrote:I couldn't have helped you here, I've been using the same keyboard and mouse for, oh, about five years now. Ain't nuthin' special either. No crazy extra buttons. It's only feature is that they are wireless.

Most hard core gamers would call a mouse and keyboard being wireless a "liability" and not a "Feature". :D
Dog carcass in alley this morning, tire tread on burst stomach. This city is afraid of me. I have seen it's true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"...

...and I'll look down, and whisper "no."

Sord
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: The Trev

Postby Sord » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:23 am

Hah yeah. I gave up my wireless mouse cause the batteries would die at the worst time. I was playing a healer in a raid once that made heavy use of grid + clique and lets just say that the fight did not end well :)
Bye space sword!

Lightfeather
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Lightfeather » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:17 am

With a toddler around, the less wires, the better. This kid can find a wire within a ten mile radius and snag herself on it. Headphone's, ripped out of speakers, right speaker flying off desk completely. I'm surprised we still have any lamps left in this house! :-o Vacuum cleaner cord? Ripped out of wall mid vacuum because toddler ran over it when it was taught and goes flying, taking the cord out of the wall with her.

Over the years I've gotten creative at tucking, stapling, duct taping and otherwise making sure all cords and cables are totally out of reach. Also, in five years I've only had my keyboard die on me once because the frugality game of "how far can I push the low battery notification before I have to replace the batteries" was lost that day. My keyboard and mouse come with software that give me about a weeks notice before the batteries die completely and I've got the timing down pretty good so I haven't really suffered from this "liability". (Along the same vein of this, I've always wanted to push my van to the limit to see how far past the E the needle will really go before it runs out of gas, but I know letting your car run out of gas is terrible for it so I've never played the "how low can you go" game with the car, however tempted I may be...)

When I go shopping I also write down every single transaction in my checkbook roster that I dutifully tote about with me ever since I was taught to balance a checkbook at the tender age of ten. I always know exactly how much money we have in the account because my books are always up to date. I never "balance the checkbook" at bill time or whatever, because my shit's always current. Yea. I'm the giant asshole at the checkout line taking two extra seconds of time to drop my checkbook on the counter to write in my transaction even though I paid with my ATM card. Eat me and wait the two seconds miss roll-your-eyes-and-sigh-heavily lady who wears heals to the grocery store and carries her little dog in her purse WHERE HER CHECKBOOK ROSTER SHOULD BE. My way is better, I've never overdrawn my account EVER.

I'm anal like that and with battery powered peripherals, this has served me well.
ImageImage

Feaduin
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Feaduin » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:02 pm

^And THAT'S why we can't have nice things!

No but actually, the liability is not in the battery life. Pro gamers use wired only because of the latency that comes when you use wireless devices. Try playing a fighting tourney with a wireless control and you will lose period. Or two guys see and engage each other at the same time in Counterstrike. Whoever registers their mouse click first will get the first shot in. All things being equal, the guy whose shot was registered by the server first will win every time. Those few nanosecond response times matter a lot for twitch game. Matters none for PVE MMOs. Matters some for PVPing in MMOs but really... MMOs really have shit for latency for everyone so it doesn't factor in as much or at all.

Lightfeather
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Lightfeather » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:13 pm

Ha! I'll concede that point. I've never had a problem because I don't play those gut wrenching, heart-stopping, nan-second needing types of games.

I'z a carebear syle sleepy-grandma kind of player. :sleeping:
ImageImage

Marcallo
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Grand Wizard

Postby Marcallo » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:58 am

Hate to tell you Nicole, I don't have a check book register and I'm also going to MILDLY sigh when I see that. Take your receipt and MOVE ON LADY! And I've never once overdrawn my check book either. The girl with the dog in her purse, who knows. LOL
Dog carcass in alley this morning, tire tread on burst stomach. This city is afraid of me. I have seen it's true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"...

...and I'll look down, and whisper "no."

Return to “The Old Republic”