an ominous start...

-Waves Hand- This is not the forum you are looking for.
Feaduin
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Billions and billions eaten.

an ominous start...

Postby Feaduin » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:06 pm

The building I work in caught fire and burned the fuck dowTyn. Ive got news choppers flying overhead and like 10 firetrucks around now. I managed to grab my laptop but I forgot my damn keys. Fire moved way too fast to salvage anything else. Typing from phone now but stupid 911 wouldnt go through on the office line. Only my cell worked at all.

Not a good day.

Lightfeather
Site Admin
Site Admin
Custom Rank: Your Admin
Games: World of Warcraft
Guild: Broken Circle

Re: an ominous start...

Postby Lightfeather » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:09 pm

:-o

Well I'm glad you got out ok! Jesus that's scary.

/edit also, when they find out what started the fire, let us know! I'm curious about that, mostly to file away in my "shit to worry about" brain folder. I'd stick it in there with linty dryer vents, sooty chimneys, cigarettes in sleepy hands and a number of other ways that a place could burn down inadvertently.
ImageImage

Munki
Custom Rank: Alouette, gentille Alouette

Postby Munki » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:10 pm

I echo feather's sentiments. Glad to hear you are safe man.
Space for Rent

PopnFresh
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Whatever Damon is, plus one.

Postby PopnFresh » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:33 pm

I love that this is in the TOR forum. I half expected you to end with "It's a launch day miracle! Going home early to get into TOR!"

Obviously, super glad you're OK, and I hope everything turns out alright for you and your job :o
Poppin' up fresh, every time!
"Classic Wedge"

Feaduin
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Feaduin » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:47 pm

Big ass fire means zOmg early vacation. Perhaps permanent. I'm not sure whats going to happen at this time.

But yes it means more time to play... Hooray?

Kiawah
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Drive fast, take chances

Postby Kiawah » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:38 pm

Glad everything is ok ><

Sord
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: The Trev

Postby Sord » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:41 pm

Holy macaroni salad. Glad you're all right! Keep us posted.
Bye space sword!

Feaduin
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Feaduin » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:27 am

Right.... so this is the reason why this is in the TOR section.

I'm back home finally after standing outside for 5 hours watching everything burn. I was lucky that the firefighters ran across my keys and picked them up. Otherwise they would have been a melty pile and I would have been screwed since I didn't have a second key at home.

When I first noticed the smoke, I was talking on the phone in the office. I saw white smoke and I thought it was odd. It was thick and it was up at the top of the room. I ran into the workshop area and the other guy I work with was screaming to get out. I saw that the flames were already 15-20 ft high and reaching across the ceiling. The person on the other side heard me say something like, "Ok the building's on fire, I gotta call you back!" I dropped the idea of finding a fire extinguisher when I felt the heat and saw how big it already was. I ran outside and dropped what I was carrying (my coffee tumbler) and started to frantically dial 911. IT DIDN'T WORK. And because it didn't work, I got more frantic and tried again and again to no avail. WTF. So I ran back inside to my office to try to get my shit out. The white smoke was down to my knees and black smoke was now hugging the ceiling. The lights were beginning to flicker and I had to stoop down and cover my nose with my jacket to breathe but I risked it because it was SO CLOSE to the exit. I wasn't going to lose my laptop. hell no. TOR is on it!! Yes, I have my priorities straight dammit!

Back outside, I tried to call 911 again until I realized that the office phone was dead because the line was dead. Stupid! Switched to my cell and I finally got 911. By this time, the neighbors were scrambling out to rubber neck - they may have seen the flames above the roof before I saw the smoke in the office. The poor strip club next door got covered by our acrid smoke. I think they shut down for the day because of it.

There must've been 10 to 15 fire vehicles blocking off our street. At least 35 firefighters were on scene. 2 choppers were overhead buzzing about. Hoses strewn about. Guys with circular saws, axes, and poles. 2 ambulances. Guys up on the ladders. Guy with a bulldozer. Even an ATF guy (yeah I didn't get that either). And a really hot woman that I assumed was one of the strippers displaced by our fire. (I know, I know.. sexist pig blah blah blah). I could see her ample cleavage, red lacey bra... who WOULDN'T assume? Turned out she was a news reporter for one of the Hispanic UHF stations in LA. She was hot as hell and coulda started her own fire where she stood.... then she pulled out a 8 inch rod with a knob at the end - it was a microphone - and I was like aaahh crap as she started to interview me. I told her I didn't want to be on camera and didn't want to be interviewed. She still milked some answers from me anyway. Why am I still writing about her...I must be more rattled than I thought.

So... there it is. I ran foolishly back into a fire to save my TOR game machine.

Marcallo
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Grand Wizard

Postby Marcallo » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:19 am

Sounds like you made all the appropriate decisions. Save game machine, call 911... :D

Glad you're okay.
Dog carcass in alley this morning, tire tread on burst stomach. This city is afraid of me. I have seen it's true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"...

...and I'll look down, and whisper "no."

Niralica
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: No Da!

Postby Niralica » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:52 am

Thank god you saved your laptop. Do you know yet what started the fire?

I am glad you are alright. Was that your companies only office?

Feaduin
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Feaduin » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:48 pm

Damn straight! If I was gonna be sittin at home anyway, at least I could play me some TOR!

No idea yet on what started the fire. Both of us were too far away and the fire was way too large to be able to tell where it came from. Our shop is a custom cabinet workshop so we had a lot of raw materials in the form of wood, stockpiled finished parts, and stains and lacquers. The rest was showroom and office space. All gutted now. Those were the only offices so we lost all our files and contracts etc.

Niralica
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: No Da!

Postby Niralica » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:28 pm

Feaduin wrote:Damn straight! If I was gonna be sittin at home anyway, at least I could play me some TOR!

No idea yet on what started the fire. Both of us were too far away and the fire was way too large to be able to tell where it came from. Our shop is a custom cabinet workshop so we had a lot of raw materials in the form of wood, stockpiled finished parts, and stains and lacquers. The rest was showroom and office space. All gutted now. Those were the only offices so we lost all our files and contracts etc.

Wow that really bites.

Marcallo
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Grand Wizard

Postby Marcallo » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:21 am

Now I know how the place engulfed so fast. Let me guess TONS of Methyl-Cellulose lacquer around? I'm surprised a Woodworking shop with that kind of stuff didn't have a sprinkler system. We keep at MOST 5 gallons on hand and I have to have 3 sprinkler heads and a fire door in the 100 sq'ft spraying area or the town will issue me a citation that will put me out of business before a fire can.
Dog carcass in alley this morning, tire tread on burst stomach. This city is afraid of me. I have seen it's true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"...

...and I'll look down, and whisper "no."

Feaduin
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Feaduin » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:54 am

Not really tons at all. Our production was custom made to order so it was only stocked when we needed it. The non-existent sprinkler system however, was grandfathered into the property when the boss bought it. It had passed city inspection over and over again and I suppose that is why the boss never beefed up the fire safety. I don't know the whole history because I never thought to dig into the details since I was in the front office doing design/marketing. You can bet your ass he'll install a system now!

Return to “The Old Republic”