On the topic of crowd control...

-Waves Hand- This is not the forum you are looking for.
Sord
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: The Trev

On the topic of crowd control...

Postby Sord » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:34 pm

What exactly is their plan for CC? I felt a little baffled when I got a 2 second cast, 8 second "whirlwind" (same functionality of the sheep spell in WoW. Target heals while CC'd, breaks on damage) on a 60 second cooldown. That seems a bit... I don't know. Kind of useless to me, or basically very situational. I didn't get a good look at all the talent trees, will there be talents that reduce cooldown/casting times/increasing duration? Is this just a crap, basic CC that several classes have access to in a pinch at low level until they get a real CC later on? I noticed a lot of similar abilities spread amongst the classes, such as a 4 second stun on a 60 second cooldown. Everyone also had an ability to break CC cast upon them. Are they this way due to PVP? So they don't have to work in any sort of diminishing returns or something? Or are they working on the numbers still on things like duration and cast time? I read someplace that some class essentially gets a Sap like ability. Any info on duration for that?

Just curious! I'm slightly drawn to control classes/abilities in games and would like to have a better picture of what it will be like later on down the line in TOR. It could very well alter what class I end up playing and enjoying the most.
Bye space sword!

Sidonia
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Custom Rank: Donner of the Robe and Hat
Location: A world of my own... but it's ok, they know me here

Re: On the topic of crowd control...

Postby Sidonia » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:16 pm

Some AC's get longer ones. Sages/Sorcs get their whirlwind/lift to last 1 minute, Commando/Merc get a 1 minute length one, Shadows/Assassins get a sap on humanoids only and from stealth only that, surprise, lasts a minute. I believe one of the JK/SW ACs get a Droid only 1 minute length CC, and I'm sure Smugglers/IA's get something as well that lasts a minute, but otherwise everyone else gets short little 4-8 second length ones.

But yeah.. until they get them, people get short duration CC abilities.

Feaduin
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Billions and billions eaten.

Postby Feaduin » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:20 pm

I got my Sith Assassin up to 17 by 2am last night. I looked around the skill progression tables a bit but I was concentrating on the min/max dps so I'm not 100% sure but I THINK I saw a talent that reduced the CD on the whirlwind skill.

Even if it doesn't have a powerup for it, I think it is quite useful even in its basic form. The duration might only be 8 seconds but that is enough time to thin the herd significantly and minimize incoming damage. I used it in conjunction with Electrocute for it's guaranteed stun, and Maul which I keyed to my thumb button on my mouse for instant triggering.

The progression went like this - pick the strongest mob to CC. He's #1. Then find the next strongest or next most annoying that needs to die immediately. he's #2. I target #1 and start the cast on whirlwind and then immediately switch to target 2 and my mouse or finger hovers over the insta-cast electrocute. As soon as Whirlwind goes off, I electrocute #2 which means instantaneous 2-mob CC. Electrocute doesn't last long so I run behind #2 and use Maul immediately or i stand back and use the extended range / powered up force lightning spell and other shit until #2 dies. By the time 2 dies, #1 would have only just emerged from CC where he is easily killed without his allies for support. I find that this works pretty well when I want to eliminate all the little guys around the big guy first so that the little guys aren't just standing there DPSing away. In a party, whirlwind was also helpful not only for CC but to help focus pet dps since they don't break CC.

I believe it also does NOT heal a CC'd mob in PVP.

I don't think it is entirely useless.

Sidonia
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Custom Rank: Donner of the Robe and Hat
Location: A world of my own... but it's ok, they know me here

Postby Sidonia » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:28 pm

Assassins/Shadows do have some talents that can affect Lift/Whirlwind in their Shared Tree (Balance and Madness I think). One lets Lift affect additional standard/weak targets (as well as lower the cooldown on their stun by 10 seconds) and then one higher up that makes it Instant cast and stuns the target for 2 seconds if it gets broken early.

While pets may not single target a CC'd mob, their AoE abilities are likely to still hit them, so useful to turn those off.

Sord
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Sord » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:51 pm

Oh good. I figured it would be that way, I just never got the chance to get much past level 11 or even seeing the talent trees for more than 1 class. Sounds like there should be plenty of CC to go around.

And yeah Fea2, I didn't mean to say useless, just limited. A short duration, long cooldown CC is usually paired with a short/instant cast. It just looked and felt strange being a 2 second cast that only lasts 8 seconds on a 1min CD. What are the cooldowns like for the talented versions? Can you keep a mob CC'd the entire time like re-sheeping over and over or is it more like say old ret pally repentance, where the duration is decently long (30s) but the cooldown is still longer(1m)?

It also feels weird that rogues are the tanks :P Yay for breaking pre-conceived notions!
Bye space sword!

Feaduin
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Billions and billions eaten.

Postby Feaduin » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:27 am

They can't be resheeped at low levels. I didn't get to spec very high and my first priorities were to max dps so I didn't think about keeping something sheeped. I figured I'd let a sith sorc do that for me while I flailed about like Star Wars Kid trying to clear a room full of gnats. The way I was playing, nothing stayed standing for long. They were either up in the air spinning, stunned, knocked down, eating a face full of lightning, or getting back stabbed ... all while dotted. I think the only ones that really fuck me up are the elites or champs or whatever that can disable the pet/tank or eliminate him. You played the Sith Inq. Did you go S.Ass or Sorc?

Sord
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Sord » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:05 am

I played an assassin but only to like level 12. I actually didn't want to play that but since Amy went with the healing spec for her class and her companion was also healing, I figured I'd go the non-healer side of the tree when we did the first flashpoint. After that, I ended up trying out a trooper and then my time ran out for the beta. I didn't get to see much outside of the starter planets sadly.
Bye space sword!

Return to “The Old Republic”