tech suggestions

-Waves Hand- This is not the forum you are looking for.
scottanime
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber
Custom Rank: Anime Guru

tech suggestions

Postby scottanime » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:11 pm

so been fiddleing in SWTOR beta and one thing is pretty clear to me, I need yet another hardware upgrade. Now before anyone goes crazy and gives massive specs of the best thing they can throw at me, let me throw a few monkey wrenches into the mix. I no longer have a desk and have been useing a laptop for many years now and not looking to go back to a desktop. This current laptop has run Wow for a long time just fine, no lag, no issues, but SWTOR seems to be forceing me to set everything to lowest quality settings in order to function to any level of ability. Now since the only reason im gettign this new computer would be for SWTOR I really dont want to spend more than $600 for it either. Ive seen a few Acer models that spec wise fit the bill, but not sure of their long term quality. The only big issue with my current system seems to be a less than fantastic video card.

suggestions?
Scottanime

-You Can't take the sky from me

Marcallo
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Grand Wizard

Re: tech suggestions

Postby Marcallo » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:37 am

My suggestion is that for 600 dollars you could build a desktop and run TOR on ultra. Not sure what you can get in Laptop form. :(

I'd look for at least an I5-Quad Core with 6 gigs of ram. Make sure the video card is equivalent to a GTX460 in mobile form. And probably try for a monitor that is 720P instead of 1080P. I only buy laptops for business never gaming so not sure if you can do all that for 600 bucks.
Dog carcass in alley this morning, tire tread on burst stomach. This city is afraid of me. I have seen it's true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"...

...and I'll look down, and whisper "no."

Kiawah
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Drive fast, take chances

Postby Kiawah » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:35 am

For a laptop, the key thing is the integrated video card. In order to get anything decent you'll have to increase your price point. Lap tops with decent video cards start usually at $700-$800.

The $600 and cheaper lap tops come with sub-par video cards and almost always integrated video cards, so you're really not upgrading anything. You'll be running into the same FPS issues. You're better off dropping another $100-$200 and getting something else. As long as it can run direct x 11 and the graphics card isn't integrated, you should be good enough to play TOR.

Marcallo
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Grand Wizard

Postby Marcallo » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:50 pm

http://www.microcenter.com/single_produ ... id=0365196

900 bucks and even then it's not "great" for TOR. I couldn't find ANYTHING under 700 that had decent Nvidia Mobile card in it.
Dog carcass in alley this morning, tire tread on burst stomach. This city is afraid of me. I have seen it's true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"...

...and I'll look down, and whisper "no."

scottanime
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber
Custom Rank: Anime Guru

Postby scottanime » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:04 pm

Ive found a few laptops that have a good graphics card on them, sut concerned now if good enough

AMD Radeon HD 6310 ( Shared memory )

NVIDIA GeForce GT 520M ( 1G dedicated memory )

The issue with keeping costs low is that I really don't do gamming alot anymore and this may be the last MMO I try for a great long time, if this lost my attention like Wow did, I was going to switch all my computer needs to tablets so spending a grand on a new machine after I just bought a new car isnt high on my priority list.
Scottanime

-You Can't take the sky from me

Lightfeather
Site Admin
Site Admin
Custom Rank: Your Admin
Games: World of Warcraft
Guild: Broken Circle

Postby Lightfeather » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:05 pm

Not sure if you'll see this in time or if it's even good but today's woot is a $600 laptop.

http://www.woot.com

Features:

Intel’s advanced WiMAX and Wi-Fi combo adapter uses Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N + WiMAX 6250 delivers up to 28 Mbps downlink, up to 8 Mbps uplink over WiMAX (802.16e) and up to 300 Mbps bandwidth over Wi–Fi (802.11a/b/g/n) with unique Intel features

WiDi ready – Intel Wireless Display lets you view and share content from your hard disk, home network or anywhere a browser can take you on the biggest screen in your home

Simply connect an adapter to your TV (not included), follow a few simple steps, and you’re off and running
Intel® Core™ i7-2630QM 2.0GHz Quad-Core processor, 6GB DDR3, 750GB HD, and Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

NVIDIA® GeForce GT525M graphics with 1GB dedicated memory delivers superior multimedia and graphics performance for intense 3D gaming or your favorite movie

Experience the beauty of Blu-ray even when you’re on the go

Roomy, island-style keyboard design which makes typing easy and comfortable
Sleek & aluminum refined design

Powerful 6-Cell Lithium-Ion battery for extended playing time (up to 7 hours)
ImageImage

Feaduin
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Billions and billions eaten.

Postby Feaduin » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:36 pm

Kiawah I think you meant "dedicated" instead of "integrated" in that first sentence, right? Yeah that 600 dollar budget is probably unrealistic for a gaming laptop... except for Feather's woot link which has pretty decent specs. The only issue with that is the risk you have to take with a refurb machine. Other than that, I think the woot model would fit your needs perfectly.

I'd add another suggestion of my own. You don't need large gigabytes of ram from the manufacturer. At all. They way overcharge when in reality you can totally max out your RAM by ordering it from Newegg. I got my laptop with only 4gigs because it was 100 bucks to add 4 more gigs. Bullshit. I went to Newegg and got 12 more gigs for about 90 bucks. It really isn't difficult to install your own ram into laptops nowadays and you can always download the maintenance manuals online. Using this strategy might save you a few bucks should you miss today's Woot. Good luck.

Kiawah
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Drive fast, take chances

Postby Kiawah » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:47 pm

Feaduin wrote:Kiawah I think you meant "dedicated" instead of "integrated" in that first sentence, right?

Oh yeah... it should read, "For a laptop, the key thing is not to get a integrated video card"

Return to “The Old Republic”