SWTOR Website - Bad feeling? I haz it.

-Waves Hand- This is not the forum you are looking for.
Feaduin
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Billions and billions eaten.

SWTOR Website - Bad feeling? I haz it.

Postby Feaduin » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:57 am

Why is it that the SWTOR website account area is so broken? Half the time I can't log in. The other half of the time, I click on a function and it's just broken and/or sends me back to the login page.

FIRE YOUR WEBSITE CREW. THEY SUCK.

I hope to god the game isn't like this. I had this same feeling of half-assedness when I first experienced the Cryptic STO website and game. Their half finished website was a portend of the half finished game at launch. I don't want this bad mojo to taint the SWTOR experience.... *especially* since Bioware/Lucas/EA has a much much much bigger budget and better personnel and therefore has no excuse to suck.

Kiawah
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Drive fast, take chances

Re: SWTOR Website - Bad feeling? I haz it.

Postby Kiawah » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:37 am

I'm sure that this is just a temp forum, and they'll transition to a newer, bug-free, and better looking one once the game's launched. Because of that, I doubt they'll spend a lot of time on it. I stay logged in while I'm on the forums, but when I try to look at my account settings it makes me log-in again. It only really does that though with my main and older account. My spare accounts that are signed up for only beta purposes don't have that issue.

My biggest beef with the website, and the forums especially is the moderation. Besides eliminating things like the off-topic section, the forum moderators huge desire to close threads is just crazy. They're also super nazi when it comes to giving out forum infractions. I've received some of the stupidest forum infractions for what you could consider routine-like posts on WoW's forums. I know some people will say, "WoW's forum suck though!", but I just don't think a commerical forum should be run as strictly as someone like Elitist Jerks' forum, a private forum.

The bugs in the website don't bother me as much as the moderation. Developing a sense of community is very important for the success of an MMO. Alienating players before the game has even launched doesn't bode well. I'm very curious to see if they continue this once the NDA has lifted and the "nerf Sith Warriors" threads start appearing.

Yes, this thread has already spiraled into <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law">Goodwin's Law</a>

Feaduin
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Feaduin » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:22 pm

Multiple beta accounts? I suppose I'm feeling more urgency about the website because I only have 1 account and I can no longer log in. Trying the password retrieval thing and it hasn't sent anything in over 4 hours. I know I shouldn't link my chances of getting into the beta with whether or not my account works but it would be good to be able to acknowledge that my account does function and that my name is in the hat.

Kiawah
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Drive fast, take chances

Postby Kiawah » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:32 pm

Feaduin wrote:Multiple beta accounts? I suppose I'm feeling more urgency about the website because I only have 1 account and I can no longer log in. Trying the password retrieval thing and it hasn't sent anything in over 4 hours. I know I shouldn't link my chances of getting into the beta with whether or not my account works but it would be good to be able to acknowledge that my account does function and that my name is in the hat.

Are you trying this right now? Stephen Reid tweeted an hour or two ago that the site is having issues.

PopnFresh
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Whatever Damon is, plus one.

Postby PopnFresh » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:37 pm

Think it could be getting spam filtered out? I've heard that from a number of people, that various swtor.com communications - from account verifications to beta invites - often get found in their spam folders. That really bodes well for the day when actual scammers are trying to phish for account info.

I'm a little surprised that the forum spell check gives me shit for scammers, but not for phish. Hippy rock fans, I'm guessing.

We - that is, the specific team I'm on at work - feel you on the web site thing. You're talking about fundamental issues that need to be addressed, but there are all sorts of minor issues as well. It's pretty flash heavy, alienating iOS users immediately. In general, there's no reason the site shouldn't be a standard blog style format. It is supposed to be redesigned for launch because they also plan on basically making it a wowpedia type thing, but honestly, who knows if that will actually lead to an addressing of the issues? Their marketing team is extensive, but very green and constantly required handholding, so maybe their web crew is the same way.

On the flip side, I will say that even if the web site experience does stay poor, that won't reflect account issues or anything of the sort with the game itself. The live production team that handles that kind of thing is completely on the ball. Hopefully, that's a minor consolation.
Poppin' up fresh, every time!
"Classic Wedge"

Feaduin
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Feaduin » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:08 pm

Yes, I was trying earlier today. It just got me pissed because it was asking for a captcha that I was TOTALLY getting right but it kept saying I was wrong. I think its 5 hours later now and I still don't have any emails regarding the pw reset. Looks like they still haven't fixed it. Checked the junk folders too just in case. Well I hope the web devs get a competent crew to handle the revamp soon. Cuz they ain't hacking it.

Niralica
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: No Da!

Postby Niralica » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:44 pm

One of the guys in Unrepentant said he named his sith the most evil name he could think of. TorMod. They deleted our recruitment post 4 times. If you post something that even remotely looks like a bump they will delete that too.

Return to “The Old Republic”