Beta Invites are out, Full NDA in effect

-Waves Hand- This is not the forum you are looking for.
Marcallo
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Grand Wizard

Re: Beta Invites are out, Full NDA in effect

Postby Marcallo » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:37 am

In terms of LIght/Dark... I found for the Republic choices of dark side it's more "selfish" and less "evil"... for example were you to capture a thief who gave you all the info you wanted your choices are let him go or kill him. I'm not sure why "Arrest" him isn't an option. Maybe Jedi don't do that, I don't know?

However, Sith dark side choices, well those seem much more "Evil" bent.

And yeah, Barron must want to kill himself. I don't really care about Star Wars in general all that much. I've read the Thrawn trilogy once and sort of like the movies. At least Nira is a much bigger fan of Sci-Fi than me. But she hasn't been following the game. LOL
Dog carcass in alley this morning, tire tread on burst stomach. This city is afraid of me. I have seen it's true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"...

...and I'll look down, and whisper "no."

Kiawah
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Drive fast, take chances

Postby Kiawah » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:14 pm

Marcallo wrote:And yeah, Barron must want to kill himself. I don't really care about Star Wars in general all that much. I've read the Thrawn trilogy once and sort of like the movies. At least Nira is a much bigger fan of Sci-Fi than me. But she hasn't been following the game. LOL

lol... I'm trying to be patient, but yeah its a struggle. Ultimately it doesn't matter, as the game will hopefully release soon and between a 3 year old and a long work commute I wouldn't have a ton of time to devote to it anyways. I plan on playing when it releases, but my hardcore MMO days and nerd raging over MMOs are definitely over.

Feaduin
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Billions and billions eaten.

Postby Feaduin » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:41 pm

I'm kinda worried now. If the hardcore core of our group is busy, then Grog will become REALLY casual. Really, really casual. Have we *gasp* "grown up"? I hope there are enough of us online to at least run a few missions together.

Marcallo
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Marcallo » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:59 am

Missions are capped at 4 people which is kind of cool honestly. Then I think their raid system I read goes 8 and then 16. But I'm not 100% sure on that.
Dog carcass in alley this morning, tire tread on burst stomach. This city is afraid of me. I have seen it's true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"...

Kiawah
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Kiawah » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:04 am

Marcallo wrote:Missions are capped at 4 people which is kind of cool honestly. Then I think their raid system I read goes 8 and then 16. But I'm not 100% sure on that.

That's correct. Also supposedly you can bring companions into the 4 man flash points if you're short 4 people. There won't be anything close to 40 man raids in TOR... it'll be pretty solo and low # of players friendly.

However, <a href="http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/36696/EA_Confirms_Limited_Number_Of_Old_Republic_Digital_Retail_Launch_Copies.php?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+GamasutraNews+%28Gamasutra+News%29">If you wait until launch day to buy your copy, you might be SOL for awhile </a>

Munki
Custom Rank: Alouette, gentille Alouette

Postby Munki » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:25 am

It won't take long for them to start pushing more boxes in to the wild regardless. While server stability is obviously important, so is striking while the iron is hot. I'm going to guess that if you want a copy of the game you probably won't have any issues finding a copy within 2-3 weeks of launch.
Space for Rent

Kiawah
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Kiawah » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:06 am

Munki wrote:It won't take long for them to start pushing more boxes in to the wild regardless. While server stability is obviously important, so is striking while the iron is hot. I'm going to guess that if you want a copy of the game you probably won't have any issues finding a copy within 2-3 weeks of launch.

<a href="http://www.overclockersclub.com/news/29151/"> Doesn't look to be that way.</a> Bioware says it'll be most likely at least a month before you can get your hands on a copy if you don't pre-order.

Munki
Custom Rank: Alouette, gentille Alouette

Postby Munki » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:35 am

While I can appreciate the desire to limit launch period server instability, a month seems pretty extreme. I'm not gonna be so silly as to think this will affect their sales in any way shape or form, but it really does seem stupid. It almost feels more like they are trying to inflate demand by limiting after launch quantity's for so long. If they were really worried about making sure their server amount / server load was sufficient then they should roll out limited quantities weekly to let stuff trickle on and gradually stress the servers. But I'm not some big shot server engineer so that is obviously just stupidhead conjecture.

I don't intend to pre - order just because of the amount of cash we have on hand right now, so I guess that means I won't be playing the game for some time.
Space for Rent

PopnFresh
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Whatever Damon is, plus one.

Postby PopnFresh » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:46 pm

I'm shocked that anyone is trying to draw any sort of conclusive evidence about something like this right now.

It's not going to be a month before copies are available again. Think of it like WoW. WoW was hard to find for a month or two after launch. It wasn't impossible, stores would get new copies to sell every week, they just didn't get enough to meet demand. This is exactly the same, except the shortage is intentional to avoid the otherside of WoW's (and most other MMOs) launch: the awful server performance.

It's the same as the nebulous, bizarre rolling early access period. Clearly it'd be a much more attractive selling point if there was a time attached, e.g. "Seven day head start!" But the only reason they're doing the head start is to get live people on their live servers and funnel them through starter content to mitigate the pressure of the game's day 1 retail sales. The bottom line is that no amount of testing will prepare anyone for what can go wrong with the servers when the game is live. So they're going to let people in relatively slowly with the early access, and gauge what they can handle from there.

This was planned long before EA ever got involved, and I can say for sure it's not an intentional thing to drive up demand. To be fair, EA has tried to fight that battle once or twice in similar avenues, but they've lost each time. But especially when it comes to selling copies, they are going to want as many available to purchase as possible. And consider the potential release times. November/December is still a possibility, so every day offers a lucrative holiday rush. Early 2012 is also a possibility, but they have ME3 in March - which attracts a very similar crowd - and they're going to want people subscribed before then so they don't lose potential customers that shut themselves away for a month with Mass Effect only to come out of their rooms in April and see they now also have the choice of Guild Wars 2. There's just no reason for copies to be held back for any reason other than performance, and no reason to assume that someone saying "it might be difficult to find copies for a month" is the same as saying "we're not restocking retailers for a month."
Poppin' up fresh, every time!
"Classic Wedge"

Kiawah
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Kiawah » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:15 am

http://www.swtor.com/media/trailers/ete ... alkthrough

Yet another game play vid, but a pretty decent one. A look up through the first boss in the first raid. It's a good peak at what the higher level content might look like, and it looks tasty!

Sidonia
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Custom Rank: Donner of the Robe and Hat
Location: A world of my own... but it's ok, they know me here

Postby Sidonia » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:48 pm

Yeah it looks nice. Granted it was time condensed but it seemed like it took ages to take down the shield droid, considering it's the first boss.

Also, near the end, I guess the giant Mon Cal, probably the Infernal guy... why does he have to be so big? Within WoW and other sword and sorcery settings, and in regards to Droid or exotic creatures like Rancors, I can understand them being huge.. but why is a regular humanoid six times taller than everyone else? Can I be that big?

I know I'm being picky and it's probably not likely to change, it's just a weird facet of end game bosses I don't get when it's supposed to be just another person who lives in the same world who happens to be "The Big Bad." The Emperor got all tiny and frail in appearance with age... not giant muscle man who literally squishes tiny insect people under his heel. "AMGz get yer realism out of muh gamez!"

I guess you could cheese it and say the force made him bigger or some shit.. his midichlorians expanded him or something silly.. it seems a little much though, to me. I'd be happier if he were maybe, at most, 2x or 2.5x the size of a 'standard' player. I don't wanna be a gnome staring at ankles and shins.

Feaduin
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Feaduin » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:13 pm

Force Embiggened boss?

Marcallo
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Marcallo » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:03 am

One of my HFE friends got in yesterday. They're really ramping up.

Kiawah
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Kiawah » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:18 am

<a href="http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/bioware-mmo-project/1191281p1.html">Come onnnnn beta invite!</a>

Bree
Buccaneer
Buccaneer

Postby Bree » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:08 pm

Kiawah wrote:<a href="http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/bioware-mmo-project/1191281p1.html">Come onnnnn beta invite!</a>

I just found out what I am doing this weekend :-o

Kiawah
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Kiawah » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:55 am

Bree wrote:
Kiawah wrote:<a href="http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/bioware-mmo-project/1191281p1.html">Come onnnnn beta invite!</a>

I just found out what I am doing this weekend :-o

Congrats. I'm secretly glad that I didn't get in this weekend (shock and awe, I didn't get in) as I'll be out of town. Here's to hoping for next weekend when I'll be free and can actually play!

Kiawah
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Kiawah » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:32 pm

Sord
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: The Trev

Postby Sord » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:18 pm

Weekends are pretty fast, sadly :(
Bye space sword!

Kiawah
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Kiawah » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:03 am

Well the good news is that this looks like the release version of the client, which is a pretty major milestone, as well as being the fully localized and European friendly client.

The bad news is that I want to play, and I was free this weekend! :(

Marcallo
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Marcallo » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:53 am

I didn't get home until nearly 11pm last night, and tonight might be the same. But I'm guessing as a "closed beta" tester I'll get to see this release. I actually have a character near level 30 and this stuff is going to be a level 30 and up push if I had to guess. When you get to "chapter 3" it says "under construction" I haven't gotten there yet, so I'm only going on what people tell me.

Kiawah
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Kiawah » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:47 am

Marcallo wrote:I didn't get home until nearly 11pm last night, and tonight might be the same. But I'm guessing as a "closed beta" tester I'll get to see this release. I actually have a character near level 30 and this stuff is going to be a level 30 and up push if I had to guess. When you get to "chapter 3" it says "under construction" I haven't gotten there yet, so I'm only going on what people tell me.

From what I've read, this new client will also include character wipes.

Feaduin
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Feaduin » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:08 pm

I thought they were rotating the beta groups so that if you did a beta weekend already, they would sub in new people to get the widest possible test platform? I'm not sure where I read that now. Maybe in the TOR website's faqs somewhere.

On another note, you played through level 30 already? Or did they start you out at level 20 or something?

Kiawah
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Kiawah » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:30 pm

Feaduin wrote:I thought they were rotating the beta groups so that if you did a beta weekend already, they would sub in new people to get the widest possible test platform? I'm not sure where I read that now. Maybe in the TOR website's faqs somewhere.

That's basically what Bioware said. They said that their goal was to gradually increase the number of testers each weekend, eventually reaching a point where most everyone signed up would get in for at least a weekend. They hyped that for 2 straight conventions.

But like everything else in beta, there's the fine print, "this is subject to change as needed."

Kiawah
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Kiawah » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:11 pm

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthre ... dit8949295

Stephen Reid put out a FAQ for the beta test weekends that answers a lot of those questions.

Sidonia
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Custom Rank: Donner of the Robe and Hat
Location: A world of my own... but it's ok, they know me here

Postby Sidonia » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:46 pm

Feaduin wrote:I thought they were rotating the beta groups so that if you did a beta weekend already, they would sub in new people to get the widest possible test platform? I'm not sure where I read that now. Maybe in the TOR website's faqs somewhere.

On another note, you played through level 30 already? Or did they start you out at level 20 or something?

Marc's been in the closed beta for a while.

Return to “The Old Republic”