Beta Invites are out, Full NDA in effect

-Waves Hand- This is not the forum you are looking for.
Marcallo
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Grand Wizard

Beta Invites are out, Full NDA in effect

Postby Marcallo » Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:52 am

Got an invite last night, it's a HUGE client. And that's about all I'm allowed to say on the matter.

TorDownload.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dog carcass in alley this morning, tire tread on burst stomach. This city is afraid of me. I have seen it's true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"...

...and I'll look down, and whisper "no."

Kiawah
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Drive fast, take chances

Re: Beta Invites are out, Full NDA in effect

Postby Kiawah » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:13 am

I hate you, but congrats!

Beta invites have been out for awhile, I just haven't seen one :( :( :( :(

Marcallo
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Marcallo » Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:26 am

Is this a clean beta then? Everyone seems to be low level, and I saw on the forum that it was "week 1" I figured I just got lucky somehow or had the right combo of system parts from their survey they did when you signed up.
Dog carcass in alley this morning, tire tread on burst stomach. This city is afraid of me. I have seen it's true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"...

Sord
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: The Trev

Postby Sord » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:41 am

Hrm, I can't remember if I bothered to sign up.
Bye space sword!

Kiawah
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Kiawah » Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:53 am

Marcallo wrote:Is this a clean beta then? Everyone seems to be low level, and I saw on the forum that it was "week 1" I figured I just got lucky somehow or had the right combo of system parts from their survey they did when you signed up.

Game testing has been going on for over a year, but most people were just invited in for short periods to test specific parts of the game. It seems like just recently that Bioware has opened it up to more people, and it's resembling more of a normal closed beta. Beta is supposed to really ramp up during the month of September, not a real open beta, but basically a stress test as a lot of invites are supposed to go out. That's what has been announced at least.

I don't think it has to do with specs anymore, but they haven't said for sure. Just going off the fact that they've released the min specs and they've removed the system scan from the test sign up. I think now it's just random, although the number of beta invites has spiked significantly this month (and is supposed to spike a lot more during September).

Feaduin
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Billions and billions eaten.

Postby Feaduin » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:07 pm

If marc's theory about spec testing is true, then crap i forgot to update new system specs. In any case, lucky you dude.

Marcallo
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Marcallo » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:51 pm

I just wish I could post impressions here. I'm sure they'll lift the NDA soon enough.

Kiawah
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Kiawah » Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:48 pm

Next up is guild testing it seems, hopefully House of Grog gets selected :)

Niralica
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: No Da!

Postby Niralica » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:15 pm

I got an invite too. I likey so far!

I made a twilek inquisitor named Niralica and a Twilek jedi knight named RiverTam.

Marcallo
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Marcallo » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:14 am

If you want to have some real fun, make a consular, and play ALL dark side decisions.

Feaduin
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Feaduin » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:17 am

Hmm... by your comment, you make it seem like type of split between Horde and Alliance where all the fun quests are on horde side and all the "omg the sky is falling" serious quests are on the alliance side. Say it ain't so! I have to believe my future anachronistic sci fi western gunslinger toon will have fun missions too...

Kiawah
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Kiawah » Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:06 pm

Niralica wrote:I got an invite too. I likey so far!

I made a twilek inquisitor named Niralica and a Twilek jedi knight named RiverTam.

More h8 to go around, and sickness to my stomach. But congrats to you

Niralica
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Niralica » Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:51 pm

So can you actually switch sides? I mean can I make an inquisitor and go all care bear and join the republic? Cause that would be way cool.

Kiawah
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Kiawah » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:16 pm

No, you can be a dark or light side Jedi, but you're always a Republic Jedi. Your choices while questing affect your light and dark side alignment, and certain choices can affect the availability of future quests, like if you decide the dark side option of killing someone, he obviously won't show up in a future quest arc. It can also affect your relationship with your companions and what gear you can wear. But your faction is constant and unchanging, no matter how good your Inquisitor is or how bad your Jedi.

Niralica
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Niralica » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:47 pm

Phooey. :(

Feaduin
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Feaduin » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:48 pm

Can't change sides? So Luke really had no hope in saving his father - that he couldn't really feel the good inside Vader and was merely projecting his own hope onto him? No. No. That's not true. That's impossible! :shocked:

Niralica
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Niralica » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:58 pm

Lolz, I see what you did there. :)

Marcallo
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Marcallo » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:10 pm

Something I read around the internet and I can't find ANY confirmation on but Nira and I could probably test it. It seems that the different batches of testers are in "different" beta's. So the 10,000 people who were selected are on one server. The next 10,000 might be on another server. I'm not sure why this is. Maybe different builds are being tested at once? Or it could be completely untrue.

Feaduin
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Feaduin » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:12 pm

Well it would make sense to test the stability of each server /shard/ whatever they built for the game. 10k people stress testing each one to make sure nothing breaks in each server group. Then combine them all later.

Hmm, does anyone know if SWTOR will have separate named servers like EQ, WoW, etc. with different time zone specific servers? Or is it like star trek online with one giant world with separate simultaneous instances? I can't remember how DAOC did theirs since I played it for only a few months like 10 years ago. Hell I don't remember how Warhammer did theirs either. bleh my memory is gone.

PopnFresh
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Whatever Damon is, plus one.

Postby PopnFresh » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:02 pm

I heard a rumor that it would be the named time-zone/mode (e.g., pvp, rp, etc.) method
Poppin' up fresh, every time!
"Classic Wedge"

Evenflow
Drunken Pirate
Drunken Pirate
Custom Rank: More than just pumpkin bombs

Postby Evenflow » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:02 pm

Grats to those that are in the beta. I wish I could get in it. My hunger for the tears and blood of women and children need to be sated.
Avengers Assembling May 2012 - Felicia Day is ugly - December 20th is the day Darth Evenmaul is born.

Niralica
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Niralica » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:10 pm

Will I be able to play on the Light or Dark side of the Force?
Yes, during character selection you will align with the Republic or the Sith Empire. In addition, throughout the game you will also be faced with many decisions which can change your path down the Light or Dark side of the Force.

Makes me think maybe you can change sides. I already started being ultra evil on my inquisitor whenever possible. However I did start a Jedi and I use the darkside choice whenever possible, not sure I would have enough time to do enough damage to switch sides before this beta test is over. Do you know when this round ends Russ? I didn't see anything on it.

Sord
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: The Trev

Postby Sord » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:40 pm

Read that again. All it says is you can change your path down the light or dark side. Not change your alliance with republic or sith empire.

Barron explains it a few posts up. No one ever reads what he posts.
Bye space sword!

PopnFresh
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Whatever Damon is, plus one.

Postby PopnFresh » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:16 pm

Man, Nira, your lack of kn owledge on the game is probably killing Barron!

You can not switch sides. You do, however, get light side and dark side "points" based on your decisions.

Don't think of the factions as Sith and Jedi. They are Empire and Republic, so whether you are "evil" or "good" in how you live your life, you're still aligned to a particular side. Like Han Solo was clearly on the "good guy side" despite being a greedy, self absorbed, murdering smuggler in A New Hope. In vanilla he chose "Shoot First" and got dark side points, in Episode 4.1 he was updated to be more light side and selected "Keep listening..."
Poppin' up fresh, every time!
"Classic Wedge"

Feaduin
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Feaduin » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:33 pm

But what if he were smuggling medical supplies to people under embargo by the evil empire eh? eh? Besides, he needed money to pay back someone you don't want to fuck with. so is that really evil?

Return to “The Old Republic”