Servers

-Waves Hand- This is not the forum you are looking for.
Tamayo
Captain
Captain

Servers

Postby Tamayo » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:02 pm

Have you guys put any thought into where the House of Grog is going to be located server wise? I've been discussing options with all the NO MOO people, and various other WoW people from ner'zhul about what servers to play on. Let me know if you have decided on anything yet, I'll try to convince the NO MOOers to go on the same server, we'd all love to play with Grog again!
"Critics who treat adult as a term of approval cannot be adult themselves. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Kiawah
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Drive fast, take chances

Re: Servers

Postby Kiawah » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:16 am

PVE server most likely

Evenflow
Drunken Pirate
Drunken Pirate
Custom Rank: More than just pumpkin bombs

Postby Evenflow » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:33 am

PvP is where it's going to be at.
Avengers Assembling May 2012 - Felicia Day is ugly - December 20th is the day Darth Evenmaul is born.

Tamayo
Captain
Captain

Postby Tamayo » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:53 pm

I'd never expect to see Grog on a PVP server again after the infamous Ner'zhul rage-quit :P

Any interest in RP servers at all, or is that too nerdy

"Critics who treat adult as a term of approval cannot be adult themselves. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Sord
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: The Trev

Postby Sord » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:42 pm

I think you'll find this link answers all your questions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_%26_Nerdy
Bye space sword!

Kiawah
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Kiawah » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:21 am

Tamayo wrote:I'd never expect to see Grog on a PVP server again after the infamous Ner'zhul rage-quit :P

Any interest in RP servers at all, or is that too nerdy

Off topic... but, yeah WoW's implementation of "world" PVP is a great example of why people on a PVP server in a RvR MMO that's mostly instanced are just being posers. All that ends up happening is the population gets hugely imbalanced over time. When "world" PVP turns into zerg vs zerg, players just get fed up, and everyone just switches to the side with the higher population so they can do their dailies or whatever in peace.

I love PVP, but the only way to have balanced and true world PVP is when everyone is attackable, i.e. UO or Lineage. That's the only way PVP doesn't turn into simply who has the bigger zerg. PVE servers in RVR MMOs simply cut out the middle man. You can still PVP in instances, and you don't have to worry about switching factions, if you happened to pick the faction with the smaller population. Because when that does happen, you're not just sucking at PVP noob, the game is unplayable.

That's why I typically pick PVE servers, at least in RVR MMOs. I'll be happy to fire up my Lineage 2 account if you're interested in some real world PVP :)

Munki
Custom Rank: Alouette, gentille Alouette

Postby Munki » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:49 pm

The only way I would personally be interested in world pvp is if people had repercussions for their actions. I always liked the "Bounty" concept, although I've never played one that utilized it. The idea that as someone ganks others (especially ones that are low level) they build up some sort of infamy, and other people are rewarded for taking these players down. A natural balance of the hunters becoming the hunted. And not in wow where you just have to 'outlast' the lowbie protectors, those systems make you a marked man for EVERYONE.

My experience with PvP servers is just that it's for ganking. WoW made the whole thing even worse with flying mounts. Once you can fly, you can only be attacked when you touch the ground to do something. That does not make for interesting World PvP, and it just leads further down the "high level ganking low levels"... since the low levels are really the only ones that can't get away.

If TOR actually had a structure to world pvp then I would consider doing it. WAR / DAoC had some structure to their world pvp (although WAR had plenty of open world issues) and that made it fun and worth doing. WoW is just ganking to be an asshole. No thanks.
Space for Rent

Kiawah
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Kiawah » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:01 pm

Munki wrote:The only way I would personally be interested in world pvp is if people had repercussions for their actions. I always liked the "Bounty" concept, although I've never played one that utilized it. The idea that as someone ganks others (especially ones that are low level) they build up some sort of infamy, and other people are rewarded for taking these players down. A natural balance of the hunters becoming the hunted. And not in wow where you just have to 'outlast' the lowbie protectors, those systems make you a marked man for EVERYONE.

UO had this :)

Sord
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Sord » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:29 pm

I'm so past PVP. No game can do it right. WAR was close, but there were issues.

For some reason (probably just cause I didn't care) I picked an RP-PVP server for my month in Rift. You know what my only pvp experience was? Some high level character coming over and plowing through the noobie zone during the big zone wide rift event.

I'll be picking a PVE server.
Bye space sword!

Tamayo
Captain
Captain

Postby Tamayo » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:40 pm

And you know I was just teasing you guys, the WoW PVP system was horrible in the beginning, I just wish you guys stayed on NZ T___________T

PopnFresh
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Whatever Damon is, plus one.

Postby PopnFresh » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:17 pm

Evenflow wrote:PvP is where it's going to be at.

Stop being dumb
Poppin' up fresh, every time!
"Classic Wedge"

Evenflow
Drunken Pirate
Drunken Pirate
Custom Rank: More than just pumpkin bombs

Postby Evenflow » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:38 pm

Haters gonna hate. You guys just don't want to be pwned by the beast that will be Sith Aureus Sol.
Avengers Assembling May 2012 - Felicia Day is ugly - December 20th is the day Darth Evenmaul is born.

Lightfeather
Site Admin
Site Admin
Custom Rank: Your Admin
Games: World of Warcraft
Guild: Broken Circle

Postby Lightfeather » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:35 am

CARE BEAR STARE!

FUCK! Don't cross the beams funshine!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Spoiler: show
ImageImage

Marcallo
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Grand Wizard

Postby Marcallo » Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:53 am

I kind of liked the PVP in Rift. But yes, it's not cool when an entire faction can lock down multiple zones and there's NOTHING your own side can do about it. Warhammer's PvP LAKES where the team with less players would get advantages and bonuses was an okay system.

But were I to ever play one of these games again I'd definitely opt for PvE. Excepting of course Planetside Next, where, I'm thinking it won't be an option. :D
Dog carcass in alley this morning, tire tread on burst stomach. This city is afraid of me. I have seen it's true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"...

...and I'll look down, and whisper "no."

Eggnog
Grog Swiller
Grog Swiller

Postby Eggnog » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:10 am

Munki wrote:The only way I would personally be interested in world pvp is if people had repercussions for their actions. I always liked the "Bounty" concept, although I've never played one that utilized it. The idea that as someone ganks others (especially ones that are low level) they build up some sort of infamy, and other people are rewarded for taking these players down. A natural balance of the hunters becoming the hunted. And not in wow where you just have to 'outlast' the lowbie protectors, those systems make you a marked man for EVERYONE.

I don't think anyone has really attempted a balanced bounty system. I could see it going a few ways all of which can be gamed, like where you kill me, i kill you, and now we're both more infamous and can wear Cloak of Infamy +3. If there's too much of a penalty then it's not really PVP and you've got the carebears complaining that it has PVP at all and the killers complaining that PVP isn't good enough. On the other side if there's not enough penalty then it's too PVP and ganking and greifing ensues.

For me, it's a simple question because a) I suck at PVP and b) I don't care to get better.
This space for rent.

Feaduin
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Billions and billions eaten.

Postby Feaduin » Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:02 am

Ok so really.... what server will we be on? Today when I first logged in, I think I saw 30-40 servers. My test character was created on the only server with the word CANTINA on it because.... well because it's kinda Grog-y.

Kiawah
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Kiawah » Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:57 am

We won't get to pick the server. As part of the guild launch program, you just get placed on a random server with your guild.

Feaduin
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Feaduin » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:26 pm

Does it say anywhere if your account is associated with a guild? I don't see anything other than a place to apply for a guild.

Sord
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Sord » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:00 am

When I log in and go to Community > Guilds, it brings me to the guild headquarters and says "Member of: House of Grog"
Bye space sword!

Feaduin
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Feaduin » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:34 am

ahh I see it now. Thanks! it says there are 19 members in the guild. I find that really hard to believe :P

Tamayo
Captain
Captain

Postby Tamayo » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:25 pm

I convinced all the former NO MOO members playing this game to join Grog's server, whenever you guys get assigned the server name

Feaduin
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Feaduin » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:48 pm

We're carebears who shoot rainbows out our asses in the name of Light. You guys probably aren't going to join us.... you're all just stalking us for the opportunity to tear off our fluffy heads, rip out our stuffing from our chests and vomit into the void, aren't you?

Tamayo
Captain
Captain

Postby Tamayo » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:57 pm

True. The angry gnomes are coming...

Niralica
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: No Da!

Postby Niralica » Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:15 pm

Tamayo wrote:I convinced all the former NO MOO members playing this game to join Grog's server, whenever you guys get assigned the server name

Yea! Does that include Mike?

Tamayo
Captain
Captain

Postby Tamayo » Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:52 am

He will be playing, so I'm sure he'll make a char with Grog

Return to “The Old Republic”