Minimum Specs

-Waves Hand- This is not the forum you are looking for.
Eggnog
Grog Swiller
Grog Swiller

Minimum Specs

Postby Eggnog » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:20 am

Will require a good computer? I'm probably going to upgrade to something decent anyways by then, but I have a GTX460, think that will be good enough?
This space for rent.

Feaduin
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Billions and billions eaten.

Re: Minimum Specs

Postby Feaduin » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:04 am

That's a good question... I was wondering the same thing the other day if I had done enough to be able to play TOR smoothly. My guess is that you should be ok. It's not like the card you have is ancient and you gotta figure that Bioware wants to maximize the customer base. Besides, I think it would be impossible to run an MMO using extreme details as different players would lag out or desynch everyone making it unplayable.

Munki
Custom Rank: Alouette, gentille Alouette

Postby Munki » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:54 am

I don't know the min specs, but if you can run wow smoothly I am pretty sure you are fine for TOR.
Space for Rent

Evenflow
Drunken Pirate
Drunken Pirate
Custom Rank: More than just pumpkin bombs

Postby Evenflow » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:06 pm

Avengers Assembling May 2012 - Felicia Day is ugly - December 20th is the day Darth Evenmaul is born.

Marcallo
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Grand Wizard

Postby Marcallo » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:13 pm

I want to bet a GTX460 is going to be good for at LEASt another 18 months. You can still get away with a 265 on most games currently. I was getting 30fps in TW2 with most options turned on with my 460. And I HIGHLY doubt TOR will be even remotely as taxing as that game is. Granted a 580 would be "much better" :D
Dog carcass in alley this morning, tire tread on burst stomach. This city is afraid of me. I have seen it's true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"...

...and I'll look down, and whisper "no."

Munki

Postby Munki » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:21 pm

I'm pretty sure a GTX460 will be good for more than 18 months, considering I have a 9800 GT and still should be able to play many new releases for the next year.
Space for Rent

Marcallo
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Marcallo » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:31 pm

Damon there is NO WAY your video card runs games like BFBC2, The Witcher, GTA IV, Mass Effect 1/2, etc. On anything but the bare minimum settings and not at 1080p. A GTX260 CAN NOT run Mafia II with any sort of higher end tessellation or bloom effects. And of course no physX on your card.
Dog carcass in alley this morning, tire tread on burst stomach. This city is afraid of me. I have seen it's true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"...

Feaduin
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Billions and billions eaten.

Postby Feaduin » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:16 pm

Yeah but we're talking MIN specs, which usually does not entail turning the visuals on. We're talking "good enough" if it runs and is playable at 30 fps. There's no way a company who wants to attract subs would make the requirements high enough to force people to buy new hardware.

Munki

Postby Munki » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:38 pm

I have run and played Mass Effect 1/2 and The Witcher 2 from the list you laid out. I"m not even running it at pure min specs, I am somewhere around the middle. My frame rate is doing just fine (30+) generally. I almost never play games at less than 1920 x 1080 (which is 1080p right) because it fucks with my dual monitor situation.

I'm just telling you how it is. I've been using this 9800 GT for a long long time, and it still plays games just fine. I also know for a fact it runs TOR very smoothly as well. I'd love to get a new video card of course, but my point was that Eggo's card is just fine for not only this game, but most others for quite some time. Unless you are looking to play everything at the highest setting, which I was never under the impression the thread was about.

<3
Space for Rent

Marcallo
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Marcallo » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:18 pm

Would you mind posting a screen cap in 1080 from TW2 at your 30fps settings? I'm truly curious what that looks like on your card. The part that I'm not taking into account I guess is that running DX9 probably saves quite a few cycles. I do know guys with GTX260+'s that can't get 30FPS on TW2 so the Direct X stuff is the only thing I can think of that's letting you do it. As to TOR I'm wondering how high you can pump spell effects with more memory on a graphics card. That was always my big limiter in WoW. You could run 8XMSAA and crap, but the second you went into a 25 man raid, boom went the frame rates.

/edit - Right now the GTX460 is becoming the new 8800gts. Game developers are going to use it as a baseline for a while. If you check Ebay the market is absolutely saturated with them. You are correct Eggo's card will last the 18 months I said as a great card and then continue to be good. I am still questioning what you said about YOUR card running newer games. That doesn't make any sense to me.

Munki

Postby Munki » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:01 am

I was wrong on Witcher 2, I am running it at the lowest settings, but it is still at 1080p. I haven't really had any complaints with the game graphically. I'd say if I had to guess my frame rate is low end 20, high end 30. Too bad they have no FPS option to check.

Space for Rent

Marcallo
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Marcallo » Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:06 am

I use Fraps. It's free, lightweight and useful.

And that's actually not too bad for the settings you're using. Honestly I want to bet the 360 version they are putting out isn't going to look THAT much better. The armor looks decent enough, there's some ambient light, the distance is reasonable. And there's even some smoke coming off of the fire.

Return to “The Old Republic”