Why I won't be getting TOR

-Waves Hand- This is not the forum you are looking for.
Marcallo
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Grand Wizard

Why I won't be getting TOR

Postby Marcallo » Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:08 am

Figured I'd ruffle a few feathers with the topic. I had my hand hovering over the pre-order button yesterday. But I decided to pass on it ultimately. I really want to play TOR. But there's a situation in my life that I haven't publicly announced here yet. I was waiting for 3 months before I said anything to people, and that point is here. My wife and I are expecting our first child mid February. Right around the time this game comes out. With that in mind, I'm guessing being involved with an MMO would be stupid. Probably my gaming time in general is going to be limited for at least the next 12 years. LOL Honestly we're very excited and I thought this would be a cool way to tell you guys since with that topic you'd probably expect me to bash the game when the exact opposite is true.
Dog carcass in alley this morning, tire tread on burst stomach. This city is afraid of me. I have seen it's true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"...

...and I'll look down, and whisper "no."

Feaduin
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Billions and billions eaten.

Re: Why I won't be getting TOR

Postby Feaduin » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:19 am

12 years? Bah. People can play even if they have kids. It's not like you would turn into Clara from The Guild or something :D Yeah so anyway, congrats man!

Lightfeather
Site Admin
Site Admin
Custom Rank: Your Admin
Games: World of Warcraft
Guild: Broken Circle

Postby Lightfeather » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:56 pm

Congratulations! Also, IMHO, MMO time can be regained as soon as the short one starts sleeping reliably through the night. For us that was at around age two. Once a bedtime routine is established and can be executed like a well oiled machine, your evenings will mostly be your own. There will always be interruptions... but nothing a "quick afk, baby aggro" wouldn't solve. =)
ImageImage

Bree
Buccaneer
Buccaneer

Postby Bree » Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:52 am

Congratulations to you and your wife.

Munki
Custom Rank: Alouette, gentille Alouette

Postby Munki » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:43 am

Yea, I wouldn't say you are out of gaming for 12 years :D You'd be amazed at what late night gaming after the squirt sleeps through the night can do.

A game like TOR could be perfect too, just because it is so quest based and has a lot of fun solo story stuff to go through. Just don't expect any raiding :D

Congradulashuns though me bucko.
Space for Rent

Kiawah
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Drive fast, take chances

Postby Kiawah » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:45 pm

Babies sleep... a lot :) And besides, Damon is right, this will probably be one of the most casual-friendly MMOs to date... one resembling more of a single player RPG than a hardcore raiding grind.

Congrats-a-rino!

Marcallo
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Grand Wizard

Postby Marcallo » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:59 am

"Hey Russ, I'm in the basement, but I think the baby needs to be changed, can you take care of that?"

"Sorry hon, I'm about to land on Dantooine."

2 Days Later

"here Sign these"

"What's this?"

"divorce papers, I get full custody...."

----------

Besides, I'd like my wife to be able to take the full year of leave. But I think she only gets 6 months maternity leave which means there's going to be a good 6 months in there where I have the ONLY salary coming in. So I wanna bet I'm at the shop more than now if that's possible to cover everything.
Dog carcass in alley this morning, tire tread on burst stomach. This city is afraid of me. I have seen it's true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"...

...and I'll look down, and whisper "no."

Sord
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: The Trev

Postby Sord » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:05 am

Well, you're doing it wrong.

Its not "Sorry, hon, I'm about to land on Dantooine" its "/party. afk guys, gotta go change a poopy butt"

Also, congratulations to you and your wife :)
Bye space sword!

Munki
Custom Rank: Alouette, gentille Alouette

Postby Munki » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:57 pm

Yeah Sord has the right Idea. Do you have any idea how often Nicole or I have to AFK in mmo's? We typcially would only run dungeons with people who fully understood and were ok with sudden afk's that could last 5 minutes or longer.

Besides, I will agree that for the first year or two it is very difficult at best to keep a satisfying MMO experience going. Nicole and I tried to make wow work (this was during TBC) but ended up quitting for quite some time. After chloe was a bit older, sleeping through the night... that is when you can start.

There are no poopy diapers to be changed if the kid is asleep. Remember that :) Late Night gaming will be your salvation.
Space for Rent

Sord
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: The Trev

Postby Sord » Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:11 am

sudden afk's that could last 5 minutes or longer.

"Or longer."

Sweet Clyde, you know what to do.

Bye space sword!

Screwtape
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Sexy Pahties!

Postby Screwtape » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:15 pm

Oh I'm sorry, did someone mention quick 5 minutes AFK or longer? That's my summons.
I will enthrall you with my Puerto Rican voodoo love charms.

Return to “The Old Republic”