Tamayo
Captain
Captain

Re: New HP6 trailer out...

Postby Tamayo » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:33 pm

:P But I mean one of the things mentioned is
Spoiler: show
cutting Dumbledore's funeral completely
, and I dunno how the hell you can make a movie about this book without that.. that isn't some minor plot point that doesn't matter in the bigger scheme of things. They did say they were cutting out the stuff with the house gnomes, but I kinda expected them to do that, since it seems that they decided against them in the movies (besides 2); Hermione would be pissed :lol:

One thing that confuses me, they are putting some attack on the Beasley's house at the end... that wasn't in the book, is this something that happens in book 7?
"Critics who treat adult as a term of approval cannot be adult themselves. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Niralica
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: No Da!

Postby Niralica » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:24 pm

I realize the SPEW thing wasn't a major plot issue, but dangit I want to see a drunken Winky! And Dobby rocks! Not that I plan on watching any more HP movies

Kiawah
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Drive fast, take chances

Postby Kiawah » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:38 am

Tamayo wrote:One thing that confuses me, they are putting some attack on the Beasley's house at the end... that wasn't in the book, is this something that happens in book 7?

Spoiler: show
Death Eaters and the Ministry crash Bill and Fluer's wedding looking for Harry, however there's no fighting, as everyone just apparates away.

It's purely a BS scene in the 6th movie to add a bit more action, as all the action in HBP is on the back end.

Tamayo
Captain
Captain

Postby Tamayo » Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:58 pm

So we've avoided it for too long... what did everyone think. Where are the cynics and haters *coughniracough* ;)

Personally I thought it was the best one as a complete film and from a technical standpoint, even though I still slightly prefer Goblet because it has more action and Ralph Fiennes. There were changes, obviously, but I think they captured the essence pretty well, even though I would have loved to have more of the flash backs. Probably the biggest omission is the battle at the end, but hopefully they will make up for that in the last movies. Performances were good all around, especially Michael Gambon, think what you will of his take on Dumbledore but his scenes in the tower were fantastic. Also loved the guy they got for Slughorn, he did a really good job with the character and look forward to more from him. I appreciated their attention to the small details in this one, with things such as Luna's hat and her funny glasses, and the Weasley's shop and the little pink puff critter. Like any of these things, you can pick it apart and find stuff to hate on because they left it out, or changed it, but whatever. I think having read the book beforehand actually made me enjoy the movie more, but my forgiving nature is because I was first exposed to the series through the movies. Regardless, I look forward to the last 2 films, and am happy that David Yates improved with this movie and have no worries about him directing the final ones.

"Critics who treat adult as a term of approval cannot be adult themselves. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Kiawah
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Drive fast, take chances

Postby Kiawah » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:04 pm

I wanted to vomit after leaving the theater. David Yates can die in a huge fire.

I really wanted to like this movie. Book 6 is by far my favorite book in the series, and if they could pull off an enjoyable movie, it would easily find a home in my DVD collection. I knew that it would be a tough movie for me to like, as I know book 6 backwards and forwards, but I went into this movie trying to be optimistic.

There were a few things I had read being cut out that I knew I would have a problem with. However, I had also read that there were rumors they were saving a few things hopefully as surprises, like Scrimgeour for example and maybe even Dumbledore's funeral. Sadly, not a single one of these rumors were true.

I'm not that naive to only think, "omg should follow the book chapter by chapter, anything else and the movie is crap." There are many good examples of good movie adaptations that were as good if not better than the book. Lord of the Rings, The Bourne Series, Jurassic Park, Congo, etc are all good examples. It's one thing when the director has to stray from the book to fill in holes in the narrative. It's a completely different thing when the director strays from the book to create holes in the narrative. Yates is an arrogant moron, who strays just to do it sometimes.

Some stuff I'll never understand. Like when Harry and Dumbledore go to Slughorn's the first time and Slughorn asks, "What gave me away?" and in the book Dumbledore says, "no dark mark" but in the movie he says, "dragon's blood". Or Wormtail answering the door in Spinner's End instead of Snape, or Bella suggesting the Unbreakable Vow instead of Cissy. Why change that?

I left this movie feeling the same way I did about Movies 4 and 5. The endings always feel rushed. They cut out major plot lines and breeze through important points, but throw out a line here and there from the book to appease people. Nothing from The Seer Overheard or Kreacher or the prophecy. The Death Eaters just walk right out of Hogwarts in The Flight of the Prince. Nothing from Dumbledore's funeral. Lupin and Tonks are just magically together in the movie without any explanation. Harry just walking away from Snape after he almost kills Malfoy after their duel, lol wut?

I would be fine with this stuff if they just didn't have enough time for it. But to not put important things like this, yet add retarded scenes like the attack on the Burrow, which didn't happen in the book, and doesn't even seem to make much sense in the movie is what pisses me off. My girlfriend is how a lot of people are I would imagine, hasn't read the books, so her knowledge comes just from the movies, and there were quite a few times where she was like, "lol wut?" Like for example, the movies haven't played up Snape's role nearly enough; she didn't even realize Snape was also a spy for Voldemort as well. The Cave was another scene in the movie where you're just like, "lol wut's going on here?" It's kind of hard to explain the liquid Dumbledore was drinking in a crowded movie theater.

The one bright spot in the movie was Malfoy though (even though the mystery as to *what* exactly Malfoy was planning was ruined in the movie). I've never liked the guy who played him, and thought Malfoy in the 6th movie would be awkward, but he pulled it off well I thought. The only believable actor in the movie (besides Alan Rickman, who always does well). I felt bad for Maggie Smith, she looked really sick during the movie, and a lot older than she usually does.

Lightfeather
Site Admin
Site Admin
Custom Rank: Your Admin
Games: World of Warcraft
Guild: Broken Circle

Postby Lightfeather » Tue May 01, 2012 2:22 am

Marcallo wrote:Hey feather can the board make Links open in a new window please? I clicked on that one just now and it just sent me there. Or ohhh how about open in a new tab automatically? (Yes I know I can like shift-click or whatever).

I know it's been like, four years since you asked for this, but does it still bother you because I think I found a mod to force it to open links in a new window/tab. Though by now I'm pretty sure you're just used to right click selecting like I ended up getting lol...
ImageImage

Return to “Movies, TV and Anime”