Postby Niata » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:37 am

Niralica
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: No Da!

Re: New HP6 trailer out...

Postby Niralica » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:15 pm

Scared to click....

I'd totally say I'm not gonna watch anymore! And if I had my way I wouldn't, but I know Darrel will end up dragging me into the theatre kicking and screaming, then wish he hadn't as I scoff and snigger all the way through the movie. Atleast... That's what happened last time :P

Sord
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: The Trev

Postby Sord » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:03 am

What was wrong with the last movie?

Some of you guys are just too damn picky :P
Bye space sword!

Tamayo
Captain
Captain

Postby Tamayo » Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:47 am

I guess they had to cut a bunch of stuff, or rushed certain parts

*shrug* I didnt have a problem with it, nor have I read any of the books

I take these book movies as a companion to the books anyway, you get the best of both worlds really
"Critics who treat adult as a term of approval cannot be adult themselves. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Niralica
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Niralica » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:18 am

Not only was it way rushed and stuff was missing. But they even changed parts of it! And they did things in that movie that are impossible! You CAN NOT break into the room of requirement! I understand that its a huge book and only a 2 hour movie, but they do not need to add events that didn't happen and change the story line so that it doesn't even make sense. If I've read the book and am watching the movie and completely clueless about what is going on.... Something is wrong!

Marcallo
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Grand Wizard

Postby Marcallo » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:22 am

So how do they catch Dumbledores Army in the book if she doesn't blast the stone wall open?
Dog carcass in alley this morning, tire tread on burst stomach. This city is afraid of me. I have seen it's true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"...

...and I'll look down, and whisper "no."

Niralica
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Niralica » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:14 am

Read it and you'll know. :P

Pax
Captain
Captain
Custom Rank: Mage of Dark Desire

Postby Pax » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:42 pm

I'm actually okay with movies straying from being solidly true to the storyline, mostly because when I read a book, I visualize everything in my head, and it's always completely different than any movie anyway.

The directors and actors are artists and creative just as much as the author and I think it's only right that they should have a bit of free interpretation when it comes to adapting the novel to a different media. People get really snobby about this, but to me at least, they're completely different forms of entertainment and I expect them to be different. I like the differences because otherwise it's just boring.

A little bit off topic, but this is how I feel about Watchmen as well. I think the movie is a brilliant idea because sales of the book have skyrocketed, and I'm looking forward to both (haven't read the novel yet, but I plan on reading it before I see the movie) and in seeing the creative genius in both media (both the original idea of the book and then the creative adaptation).

Tamayo
Captain
Captain

Postby Tamayo » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:46 pm

Like I said, I always like to think of movies as compliments, because its obvious that movies cant follow a book page for page. But I will say, having seen the LOTR movies before reading the books helped me visualize, because I found Tolkiens writing hard to follow at times

"Critics who treat adult as a term of approval cannot be adult themselves. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Windigo
Master Gunner
Master Gunner
Custom Rank: /lick

Postby Windigo » Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:00 pm

Considering Jo still gives them her blessing for every change they do in the movies, I'm fine with it. I love the books, and I love the movies. They don't have to be mutually exclusive things just because they aren't the same.

Marcallo
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Marcallo » Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:42 pm

Niralica wrote:Read it and you'll know. :P

:(, I don't have time to read 7 books right now, can't you just give me this one teeny tiny spoiler? I mean I know Snape kills Dumbledor!!!!
Dog carcass in alley this morning, tire tread on burst stomach. This city is afraid of me. I have seen it's true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"...

Ved
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: I sleep in a drawer

Postby Ved » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:42 am

This summer... Dumbledore's Army is betrayed by one of their own... and Harry must face the biggest challenge of his young life.... RAAAAAAAAAAAWRRR.... OH NO ITS MECHA SNAPE!
Why are pirates pirates?
They just AAAARRRRRR!

Lightfeather
Site Admin
Site Admin
Custom Rank: Your Admin
Games: World of Warcraft
Guild: Broken Circle

Postby Lightfeather » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:53 am

ImageImage

Niralica
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Niralica » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:06 pm

Oooh! Me too!

Tamayo
Captain
Captain

Postby Tamayo » Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:04 pm

Wow I almost stumbled on major spoilers on that site, luckily I pulled my eyes away fast enough

Marcallo
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Marcallo » Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:27 pm

Hey feather can the board make Links open in a new window please? I clicked on that one just now and it just sent me there. Or ohhh how about open in a new tab automatically? (Yes I know I can like shift-click or whatever).

Also is that the book of "Let's milk Harry Potter Fans"?

Lightfeather
Site Admin
Site Admin
Custom Rank: Your Admin
Games: World of Warcraft
Guild: Broken Circle

Postby Lightfeather » Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:35 pm

I always right click every link and select "open in new tab" for everything so I didn't notice it was opening in the same tab. I can see what I can do.
ImageImage

Tamayo
Captain
Captain

Postby Tamayo » Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:02 pm

I'm over half way done with this book, so it'll be the first time I actually have the book done before the movie with this series; from what I see in the trailer it looks pretty awesome, possibly has the potential to be the best movie but trailers can be deceptive. I was watching it again just now and I noticed one small detail that I missed from movie 5... LUNA LOVEGOOD'S LION HAT!

I loved the movies having not read any of the books before, but now having read most of the books, I think the movies are perfect as a compliment to the books. The movies give you a nice visualization of things, and the books flesh out all the details. I can't fault the movies for skipping things and changing things, I think for the most part they've done a good job with their omissions, keeping the major plot points intact.

I'm curious about what people think about the decision to split book 7 in two movies. People were constantly complaining about the omissions in the movies so they decide to do this, and now people are complaining that they're just whoring money. What do you guys think?

Kiawah
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Drive fast, take chances

Postby Kiawah » Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:39 pm

Tamayo wrote:I loved the movies having not read any of the books before, but now having read most of the books, I think the movies are perfect as a compliment to the books. The movies give you a nice visualization of things, and the books flesh out all the details. I can't fault the movies for skipping things and changing things, I think for the most part they've done a good job with their omissions, keeping the major plot points intact.

I'm curious about what people think about the decision to split book 7 in two movies. People were constantly complaining about the omissions in the movies so they decide to do this, and now people are complaining that they're just whoring money. What do you guys think?

This was true for the first 3 movies. They were all good representatives of the first 3 books, however the first 3 books were also a lot shorter. Movies 4 and 5 have been a disappointment to the point of embarrassing. I feel their pain, as books 4-7 are decently sized novels, and I'm sure very difficult to fit into a 2 hr movie, however the way that they've done it in movies 4 and 5 was just sad.

There are a lot of times when movies veer from the path of the books, and they actually improve on the novel I think. Lord of the Rings is a great example of this, in my opinion. However, where the movie makers for the HP films have veered, they've done so just to be cheap. Like for example, in movie 5 when it's Neville who discovers the Room of Requirement instead of Dobby, I'm sure someone said, "Hey great, we don't have to pay someone to do CGI!"

I'm excited that the 7th movie will be 2 parts, I think they should've done the same thing for Movies 4-6 as well.

Tamayo
Captain
Captain

Postby Tamayo » Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:00 am

I dunno, I personally don't think the 4th and 5th were that bad, and this may be due to the fact that I saw the movies before I read the books, but also because I am rather forgiving when it comes to book to movie conversions. Obviously the books were way too big to fit every little detail in, but I felt that the omissions weren't too big a deal. I think the Neville thing you mentioned was one of the few things in that book where I actually didn't understand why they changed it, but ultimately it didn't really hurt the story too much. In terms of book 5, I think the biggest thing missing in the movie was the ending sequences in the ministry lost a lot of tension because they cut certain stuff out; what confuses me the most though is why they decided to make the biggest book the shortest movie, seems like it would have benefitted from another 20-30 mins of run time. Book 4, while they cut a few plot lines completely out, like the elf stuff (which is minor) and the stuff with Bagman, but still they kept the most important things intact. Granted I was shocked by how different these two actually were than the movies, but thats why I say I feel like they're a good compliment to the books.

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing how much I enjoy 6 after having already read the book. Watching the trailer after reading as far as I have I can say I'm still pretty darn excited for it, and it seems like it will translate well to film because there aren't as many side plots and exposition as the last two. It's funny though, because the delay of this movie is what made me decide to read the books now, I obviously know THE spoiler in #6, but I don't know why or how it happens and I reaaaaaaaally wanted to know, if it came out last year I probably would have ended up waiting till I saw all the movies to read the books. But it should be cool actually coming into it from a different perspective... sorry for rambling! :)

Niralica
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Niralica » Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:20 am

The real downer for me was them blowing a hole into the room of requirement. Can't happen, and that isn't the last time that room gets used, but they just blew it up so um, yea, now what are they gonna do??

Tamayo
Captain
Captain

Postby Tamayo » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:16 am

That was one thing I didn't really understand, but it's such a minor thing really, they can just say it's been repaired, or it can magically self repair that's the beauty of living in a magical castle... ::runs off to finish book 6::

Tamayo
Captain
Captain

Postby Tamayo » Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:17 pm

Finally done and caught up with the movies... I'm really pissed that I knew the spoiler though, that would have been great to read having no knowledge of it; but over the years I convinced myself that there was gonna be some crazy twist, a conspiracy theory that dumbledore was really a bad or something and now I'm disappointed at something that should have been a crazy twist. Lousy jerks spoiling stuff >_<

Tamayo
Captain
Captain

Postby Tamayo » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:31 am

I just read a list of changes in the movie on the wiki page, and I think this one might actually piss people off more than the rest now... they seem to have cut some really important stuff :(

Niralica
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Niralica » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:24 pm

*shock and awe*

Return to “Movies, TV and Anime”