The Following (probably some spoilers)

All that BoobTube goodness...
Sord
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: The Trev

The Following (probably some spoilers)

Postby Sord » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:23 am

Seems to be a bit popular in the other thread so I may as well make a dedicated one here for all of us to discuss.

The show is indeed graphic. Lots of blood and mangled bodies and all around fucked up shit. Myself being a Poe fan, it is interesting how they are transforming his work into the object of a cult. I've never really analyzed his works or anything and mostly just read the popular basics that everyone reads at least once in high school. I'm not really sure if he ever had any deeper meaning intended or was just a depressed drug addict. He did have a way with words though.

So far I've enjoyed their ability to keep me on my toes in regards to who may or may not be a part of the cult but I'm a bit worried that it will just devolve into every episode being a guessing game on who's going to betray who and come out as an extra member of the following. The female FBI agent who is the head of the cult devision seems likely, especially with some of the looks she gives the cult leader in interrogation. Since I expect her to turn eventually, a better twist would for her to play it straight and narrow.

I think they are doing a great job at developing the characters with all the flashbacks. Even the cult followers come off as somewhat interesting even if a few of them are basically throwaway characters. Kevin Bacon's character obviously has a troubled past (shocking for this genre, I know) and it is interesting to see how they develop his fall from grace.

Anyhow, for anyone on the fence, I recommend at least watching the first episode. Graphic and intense and moves at a nice pace.
Bye space sword!

Sord
Brew Master
Brew Master

Re: The Following (probably some spoilers)

Postby Sord » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:53 pm

I enjoy talking to myself, so here's some more.

I think the show is going in a predictable direction and I'm sort of bored with it now. The first time you have a situation where someone betrays the group and injures/kills a main-ish character, its shocking. When it happens every. single. episode. it wears thin. The acting is still pretty solid overall but some of the characters are getting to be a pain. I also dislike the scenes where they try to show off a little bit of human emotion (complete with typical emotional music) for the cult people and then have them do something completely fucking terrible in the next scene. Perhaps they want the viewers to feel totally out of their mind, similar to the characters in the show.

I dunno. I'll probably continue watching just cause Joe is so vile to me (as are his cronies) that I want to see their eventual downfall. Especially Emma. I can't stand that broad.

I'm also curious what their plans are for this show's longevity. If they focus on a single cult every season, then I can get behind that. If they follow Joe around for 3 or 4 seasons, that isn't going to sit very well.
Bye space sword!

Lightfeather
Site Admin
Site Admin
Custom Rank: Your Admin
Games: World of Warcraft
Guild: Broken Circle

Postby Lightfeather » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:26 pm

This show just makes me angry because so far, the bad guy always wins. The only reason I keep watching is for that moment he gets fucked in the ass six ways from Tuesday and then eviscerated. Unfortunately when that happens it will be at the very END of the whole series. This thing should have been shot as a movie, not a TV show.
ImageImage

Kiawah
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Drive fast, take chances

Postby Kiawah » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:46 am

I tried to watch the first 2 episodes, and while I thought it was suspenseful enough (even though from the sounds of it that suspense is getting repetitive), it was too gory for me.

Sord
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Sord » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:06 am

I think I'm desensitized to gore. Hell, if I had any medical talent or ambition, I could probably handle being a coroner at this point. Of course it is usually the smell that gets to you ...

Perhaps there are a few too many crime procedurals on TV nowadays :P
Bye space sword!

Bree
Buccaneer
Buccaneer

Postby Bree » Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:40 pm

I like this show, we have been watching it every week. I keep waiting for Emma to get killed off, she is a psycho. I was worried the actor Shawn Ashmore was going to be killed off. We have liked him since he was in warehouse 13. Not too gory for me, pretty sick cult they have there.

Sord
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Sord » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:48 pm

RE: the dude from warehouse 13. Thats not actually him but his twin brother :)
Bye space sword!

Bree
Buccaneer
Buccaneer

Postby Bree » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:33 pm

holy crap, that is wild. Had no idea, and had to go look it up on IMDB. Thanks Sord.

Sord
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Sord » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:31 pm

Only reason I knew that is cause they had a small behind the scenes segment while watching the show on demand. I knew I recognized the face but I couldn't place where (and warehouse 13 has been on break for a while, so I didn't make the association).

I too am waiting for Emma to get hers. I think of all the people on the show, I like her the least. Some shit is going to go down eventually involving her, I can feel it. And I hope its brutal.
Bye space sword!

Lightfeather
Site Admin
Site Admin
Custom Rank: Your Admin
Games: World of Warcraft
Guild: Broken Circle

Postby Lightfeather » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:36 am

Oooo "watch your back", Emma. Haha! She's such a two faced bitch.
ImageImage

Sord
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Sord » Thu May 09, 2013 2:10 am

Spoilers inc. It feels strange to want to watch a show because I dislike characters rather than like them. It is odd.

Spoiler: show
So, I saw that ending coming like eleventy billion miles away. Too many loose ends after the "climax." I also have a feeling that Joe isn't really dead. He had state of the art technology and seemingly endless amounts of highly skilled soldiers at his disposal for some strange reason, so finding a way to fake DNA and dental results is probably not out of the question. The final cliffhanger was rather uninspired. I was pretty upset at the death of Agent Parker. She was my favorite character on the show. I knew that they were going to kill off at least one more major character at the end so it had to be her or the other guy.

At any rate, I have no idea where they are going to go from here and I'm not really sure I care anymore. I mean, making your viewers feel bad is one way of going about ratings I suppose but really there is nothing at all redeeming about the story to make the viewer feel satisfied in any way. At this point there is no "winning" outcome that will feel good in any way. I've read plenty of books and seen plenty of movies that didn't have a "happy ending" so perhaps this is just meant to be one of those? I dunno.

I still hate Emma. I guess the last satisfaction for me will be to see her character meet her well deserved doom.
Bye space sword!

Return to “Movies, TV and Anime”