Revolution

All that BoobTube goodness...
Tamayo
Captain
Captain

Revolution

Postby Tamayo » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:55 am

So all electronic devices and engines stop for mysterious reasons and suddenly all us modern technophiles are stuck trying to survive. Much like The Walking Dead and Falling Skies, it mostly takes place after the events have transpired, with some flashbacks to fill in key information. This is yet another J.J. Abrams joint project and seems to be another one of those "the next Lost" type shows. Initially I was thinking, eh, it'll probably be the next "The Event," 'Alcatraz," or "Flashforward" and fail miserably. But after watching the pilot, I came away quite impressed. The cast is mostly non-recognizable people, but are quite good. Well paced episode that hit all the right beats, didn't over use the flashbacks. Jon Favreau directed the episode and it had a good style to it, some really cool shots of cities overrun by vegetation (ala I am Legend or The Last of Us). There were some teases of "what caused the power to turn off" throughout, but it didn't really beat you over the head with it like some of those other shows I mentioned did with their big mysteries. It seems much more concerned with how the people are living in this new medieval style world after having grown up with technology, and that is a very interesting concept to me. Freaky to think about something like that actually happening.

All in all, I think this show could become something special if given a fair chance. Of course there lies the problem, network TV and a sci-fi show. And the new king of cancelling good shows, NBC. I fear this one will end up getting axed, even though the pilot had good ratings. The budget seems to be very high for this one, which doesn't make me any more hopeful. I'm crossing my fingers this one will be like Fringe and Chuck and somehow survive even with the odds stacked against it. I'm still pissed at NBC for cancelling Awake earlier this year, which was one of the more interesting shows in recent years. They mildly redeemed themselves by renewing Community, but we'll see how it goes. There definitely won't be any opportunities for Subway marketing dollars to save this one!
"Critics who treat adult as a term of approval cannot be adult themselves. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Teasing_Pink
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber
Games: Guild Wars 2, Secret World

Re: Revolution

Postby Teasing_Pink » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:50 am

I haven't seen anything about the show aside from a couple promos during the olympics. How rigorous is the physics behind their explanation of why everything stops working?

Is this one where I'd just have to accept that "Technology is gone, welcome to the stone age", and not think about it too much? (Because my first thought was that without electricity, we all drop dead from nonfunctioning nervous systems. Nevermind the implications of electrons no longer moving on the rest of physics.)

PopnFresh
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Whatever Damon is, plus one.

Postby PopnFresh » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:06 pm

I watched about the first half of the pilot. I should probably finish it to at least give it a fair shake, but it seemed like you'd have to just be pretty accepting. It also seems like the primary first plot point is trying to find someone who "knows the truth behind what happened," which seems like a convenient way to avoid explaining things.

I was honestly not at all impressed, but I started watching it while really tired (which is why I didn't finish) and wasn't very engaged, so my opinion should be taken with a grain of salt. But I thought it felt way too much like it was trying to cash in on the recent popularity of the Hunger Games, and I didn't think the acting was very good, especially from the main character. All the characters felt super generic. And it's totally a personal, irrational pet peeve, but I can't stand shows in a setting like this made up of typical beautiful actors who still have a sense of fashion and style.

But after a positive Tamayo review, I'll revisit the pilot at a time when I'm not drifting off to sleep...
Poppin' up fresh, every time!
"Classic Wedge"

Tamayo
Captain
Captain

Postby Tamayo » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:58 pm

After I wrote my little thing, I looked at some interweb impressions, and it seems like there are a lot of people nitpicking about certain things.. like why couldn't they just build a generator and stuff like that. But there is some sort of mystery to the reason why these events happened and why tech can't just be remade. It of course remains to be seen whether it pays off or not. I just appreciated that they didn't dwell on it too much, like they did in Flashforward where every other line was "THE BLACK OUT this.." "THE BLACK OUT that.." I'll post again after tonights episode.

Also saw a lot of people saying the main girl is too much like Katniss, but I mean.. its just a girl with a bow.. it makes sense with the setting. And at first I was thinking "man why are all these people so pretty and wearing makeup and stuff" (as is usually the case with any post disaster show). But I looked closer and they actually don't deck the women out in makeup.. yeah the girl is attractive, but its just very subtle.. which I'm fine with. It's really too early to comment on whether the characters will be well developed or not, obviously they hit certain tropes, but that's just how it goes. I did appreciate that the main girl wasn't all annoying "girl power," she seemed like a strong person because the world made her that way but at the same time she wasn't unstoppable.

"Critics who treat adult as a term of approval cannot be adult themselves. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Tamayo
Captain
Captain

Postby Tamayo » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:02 am

The second episode I enjoyed just about as much as the first one. They tease the mystery stuff a little more in this one and I'm interested to find out what the answers are. How good the show is, really will depend on how this aspect plays out, obviously. They did address the reason why they can't just restart the power, though it remains vague. I would like to see more world building in the next few episodes, because we really haven't seen too much about how society works on a daily basis. The character development needs to ramp up a bit for some of the side characters, I'm enjoying the Charlie and Miles and the militia commander, but there hasn't been much to learn about the rest. I'd say it is still a show that has loads of potential, and they've succeed in making me excited to watch.

Return to “Movies, TV and Anime”