The Walking Dead

All that BoobTube goodness...
Feaduin
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Billions and billions eaten.

The Walking Dead

Postby Feaduin » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:45 pm

So since I was on this AMC bender all week, I decided to watch all the Walking Dead eps as well. I read that this show is actually the highest rated among Mad Men, Breaking Bad, and The Walking Dead. But as always, popularity doesn't equate to quality. It isn't BAD or anything, just not as strong as the other two. When I watch end-of-the-world type stuff, I always go into Survivor mode. I'm sure I'm not alone in this. But in order to create drama in horror shows, you are forced to put real people into unreal/forced situations which triggers my brain to go "Oh come on, why would you do that? Fuckin' Asstard!" The logic from the gangbanger/hospital episode that established that guns were more valuable than ANYTHING is tossed right out the door at the CDC when they just walk right over a bunch of weapons... BETTER weapons too!

Ok sure, these might be empty weapons but think about it... 5.56 ammo is light and extremely plentiful compared shotgun ammo and those weapons would be valuable once you get to any forward outpost or rear base where you could resupply. Sploding a zombie head @ 100, 200, 300 yards (or more) would be possible with an assault rifle, not a shotgun. Then there is the other insanity of being able to overrun positions that had tanks. Unarmed and unarmored civvies vs tanks? They should have used police check points because that would have made sense. Against a tank, the streets would be littered with half bodies like bicycle girl.

Ah well... fuck it. Its just zombie logic on a zombie show. Fun show. So what would your zombie survival strategy be?

PopnFresh
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Whatever Damon is, plus one.

Re: The Walking Dead

Postby PopnFresh » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:30 pm

Any comic book fan will tell you: the TV series is way better than the graphic novels. Don't bother reading them.
Poppin' up fresh, every time!
"Classic Wedge"

Evenflow
Drunken Pirate
Drunken Pirate
Custom Rank: More than just pumpkin bombs

Postby Evenflow » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:10 pm

Don't listen to Trollnfresh, the comic is so far superior to the series that it's on another planet. Issues 1-48 are easily the best set of comics from any non-superhero book. Oddly enough, there is a Walking Dead compilation of the first 48 issues for less than 50 bucks. It's pretty much a must-buy.
Avengers Assembling May 2012 - Felicia Day is ugly - December 20th is the day Darth Evenmaul is born.

PopnFresh
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Whatever Damon is, plus one.

Postby PopnFresh » Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:58 pm

I think I like PopnTroll better, but overall, good move. I like the troll-name combo

And to flow's point, I have a number of friends that really liked the series when it started, and none of them like it now. Some fell off as the first season went on, other as the second season started, but apparently it just didn't have very good legs.
Poppin' up fresh, every time!
"Classic Wedge"

Feaduin
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Feaduin » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:48 pm

Fell off? lol there's only 6 eps in S1! I had some issues with some episodes but something must have really set them off to abandon a show after so few chances. Hell, if you look at the first season of TNG or DS9 you would find it can be pretty awful unless you stick with it. Anyway, I don't think I'll be reading the comics as I am simply a lazy fuck who doesn't like to read when I can watch (and play something else simultaneously). There just isn't enough time. I expect that when I FINALLY have the time to read, I'll accidentally break my glasses. It's not fair. It's not fair at all! There was time now.... oh fuck it, I doubt anyone gets that reference so here you go...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/UAxARJyaTEA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

So back to the zombiepocalypse scenario, how would you survive? Would you go Lord of the Flies? Would you try to reestablish some sort of society? Go hermit?

Evenflow
Drunken Pirate
Drunken Pirate
Custom Rank: More than just pumpkin bombs

Postby Evenflow » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:25 am

Yeah, but the problem with DS9 or TNG is that they weren't based on one of the most popular, amazing and well-awarded comic book. So, naturally, when watching the series, I had to compare it to the comic. Sure, it's not totally like the comics because it's a different entity and must do something different, but it made most of the characters bland and static. I think the biggest thing wrong with the TV series is that it strayed too far from the source material. I'm also not sold on a British dude "trying" to do a southern accent.
Avengers Assembling May 2012 - Felicia Day is ugly - December 20th is the day Darth Evenmaul is born.

Feaduin
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Feaduin » Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:46 pm

^that's strange... i read that they had the Walking Dead author as part of the staff. Maybe it isn't just the source material... I would guess that it had much more to do with the switch of medium from comic book to TV format. Oh and the reason why i compared this first season to DS9/TNG's first season was to show that while not without flaws, TWD's first season was pretty good. It was a fun 6 episodes. In contrast, I just finished watching 19 eps of S1 of DS9 on netflix and it is as shitty as I remembered it. This season was the genesis of my utter hatred for Major Kira but I stuck with it and DS9 became one of my favorites in the end. It got better and better and I hope that TWD will do the same. I just hope that the firing of their showrunner won't fuck things up.

Tamayo
Captain
Captain

Postby Tamayo » Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:56 pm

First 2 eps of the second season have been very solid. Showing a lot more emotion and personality with the characters, and very very tense situations. The cliffhangers at the end of each.. god.. hate having to wait a week
"Critics who treat adult as a term of approval cannot be adult themselves. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Marcallo
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Grand Wizard

Postby Marcallo » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:40 am

I realize this thread is old as fuck and I don't like this show at all. But I just wanted to say I got Feaduins reference before I scrolled down and saw the youtube link. That's one of my favorite Twilight zones. :D
Dog carcass in alley this morning, tire tread on burst stomach. This city is afraid of me. I have seen it's true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"...

...and I'll look down, and whisper "no."

Feaduin
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Feaduin » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:13 am

Anyone still with it? Season 3 just started and man, it's become stellar. Season 2 sorta fell off for me and that was mainly because they were stuck at the damn farm the whole time and they spent way too much time looking for Sophia. Now we're into Season 3 and things are starting to move again. And move rapidly. What brought me back today was that I saw S3E4 last night and I was totally shocked and heartbroken and I'm really glad I stuck with the show. Fantastic acting from a kid too, which is extraordinarily rare. From all the buzz, it seems that the show has gone back much closer to the comics too. Can't wait for next week!

Tamayo
Captain
Captain

Postby Tamayo » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:55 pm

Yeah, I'm really enjoying the season so far. Only seen the first 2 episodes though. I really liked the
Spoiler: show
stuff with the other prisoners, how Rick tells them what the strategy is, and then they just run in like typical punk asses who think they know how to fight.
But some pretty intense stuff is happening already that matches any of the best parts of the first season and the last few eps of season 2.

Season 2 seemed like they lost direction for a bit with the change in show runners, but I was confident they were back on track seeing how the season ended strong.
Spoiler: show
Loved that Rick finally embraced his role as leader and told them you do what I say or get the hell out of here.

"Critics who treat adult as a term of approval cannot be adult themselves. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Feaduin
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Feaduin » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:05 am

here's something that really bugs me though. If the walkers outside the yard can be attracted/distracted to/by the sound of Glen smacking the fence, why wouldn't you just do that ALL DAY LONG? Just pull a bunch to a controlled fence corner, then stab each one through the fence carefully and methodically in the eyeball (to be sure each is really dead). Repeat this process for several days and I'm sure the entire area around the prison would be totally clear of walkers within earshot. This way, you can be certain you can't possibly be overwhelmed by sheer numbers, which is always when things go wrong.

And to combat the smell, I suppose you could drag all the corpses and fling them into a pile where they can be burnt... preferably downwind. Or just pile them up and make a corpse fort! How awesome would that be?

I just can't stand it when they leave a few walking around with the potential to join a herd and kill them later.

Tamayo
Captain
Captain

Postby Tamayo » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:01 pm

I dunno, maybe they still don't like the idea of killing the things when they don't have to. Maybe the comic gets into that? Or maybe it's all just silly!

Feaduin
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Feaduin » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:38 am

Or I just think too much like a gamer because I'm thinking of a tower defense game lol. The characters think like regular human beings.

Feaduin
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Feaduin » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:27 am

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jR4lLJu_-wE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Return to “Movies, TV and Anime”