Spartacus Blood and Sand / Gods of the Arena

All that BoobTube goodness...
Feaduin
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Billions and billions eaten.

Re: Spartacus Blood and Sand / Gods of the Arena

Postby Feaduin » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:11 am

FUCKING EEEEEEEEEEEEEEpiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiic!!!!

My take on the finale in two screamed words where my voice would be blown out and hoarse immediately after.

A longer version.

If the show was going out, go with a huge bang and they showed everyone that THAT'S the muthafucking way to muthafucking do it! We knew they would die and (boy did they) but they went out as heroes. Even if there wasn't the silver lining at the end, I would venture the idea that everyone dying is not depressing because it is the classic portrayal of the great heroic sacrifice. Spartacus' fight v Crassus was the stuff of legend. I just loved that it didn't follow hollywood formula where the hero just walks through all the henchmen and then suddenly becomes weak during the boss fight. Spartacus was bloody, grimy and nasty, and hurt by the time he got to the boss, which I thought was pleasantly more in line with reality. He wasn't CRIPPLED (like Maximus v Emperor in Gladiator) but it wasn't like he walked into a group of 10 guys and walked out with Perfect Victories against all of them. He looked like he'd been through hell to reach Crassus and then went through hell to beat him. I liked the slow burn build up for Crassus as well. Made him believably almost-good-enough.

I dunno about Caesar's protrayal though. I've never heard of Caesar being a good hand to hand fighter rather than a brilliant strategist. That was kinda strange to see. Reminded me of Brad Pitt as Achilles. I suppose shifting ranks could be thought of as part of his "strategy" to wear him down but that tactic is SOP for roman battle lines. Surrounding Gannicus with formations I suppose would be more akin to what a general would command but we never see Caesar give formation commands because he is hoofing it and grunting and screaming. Oh well, minor complaint. In the end I suppose Ganny had to represent the guys who got crucified as it wouldn't be right to ignore the huge percentage of the slaves that ended up nailed along the Appian.

Hmm, just thought of something. The way they showed Gannicus' defeat revealed something i always thought hilarious about this series. I think it started in Season 2 where sparty and Crixus jump and drop kick into a formation of shields bristling with sharp objects sticking out of them and they always somehow managed to avoid having their manpurses flayed open and serving the Roman soldiers shish ke-balls. Like flying off the top turnbuckle belly first in the WWE, it was always obvious to me that any of the soldiers had do merely hold one of their pointy objects up and they'd have a story to tell to their grandkids of how they killed Spartacus. The force of their drop kicks always sent guys ridiculously flying away which is why it looked so funny to see the reality as part of the fiction. Gan jumps, kicks the shield, and the other guy hardly notices... Gan is tired.

I really loved how they did the ending though with a little homage to all the characters from before. Made watching the end credits fun. hey look its Varro! And that one guy with the dreads! And that other guy! Best of all we got to see Andy scream I AM SPARTACUS to bookend the line. RIP dude. You were the shit.
Seriously though.... I don't think there was one bad finale in the entire series. And this one topped them all.

Tamayo
Captain
Captain

Postby Tamayo » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:54 pm

I think their portrayal of Caesar was one of the biggest liberties they took in out of all the characters based on actual people. I haven't really been able to find any evidence of him even working with Crassus during the Spartacus conflict; though the triumvirate they talked about is real with Pompey. I think they used Caesar in this show so they would have the name recognition, where your average Joe would be like "oh I remember learning about Caesar in school."

You make a good point about the Gannicus fight. I suppose they did that "WWE" stuff mostly for thrills, and cause it makes for fun action. But I guess it was pretty cool that at the end, their showoffy moves proved to be their downfall.

The credit sequence I agree was really cool. I loved seeing Varro one last time; I always liked that character and I really hated how he went out. Always figured he'd be there till the end with Spartacus.

Glad there was someone here to enjoy this show with me! Now all you other damn Groggers need to ignore all the spoilers we've been spewing the past 2 years and watch the show!
"Critics who treat adult as a term of approval cannot be adult themselves. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Feaduin
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Feaduin » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:11 am

People might have been turned off by the low production values in the first season. I'm glad they really picked it up a lot in the final season. Now it's off to another series. To the glory of the next battlefield we go!

Kiawah
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Drive fast, take chances

Postby Kiawah » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:08 am

What channel does this how even come on? I've never seen an ad or promo for it ever.

Feaduin
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Feaduin » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:57 pm

Starz network. That's probably why.

Return to “Movies, TV and Anime”