All that BoobTube goodness...
Kiawah
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Drive fast, take chances

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby Kiawah » Fri May 11, 2012 8:07 am

http://gameofthrones.net/images/Westero ... steros.jpg

They also sail around it and climb over it. The wall isn't meant to keep out the Wildlings...

PopnFresh
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Whatever Damon is, plus one.

Postby PopnFresh » Fri May 11, 2012 11:51 am

"Planky Town"?

Aside from that, the map is pretty rad.
Poppin' up fresh, every time!
"Classic Wedge"

Ember
Master Gunner
Master Gunner
Custom Rank: AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Postby Ember » Fri May 11, 2012 7:11 pm

Forbes: HBO Has Only Itself To Blame For Record 'Game Of Thrones' Piracy

According to Greenberg, “the second season of the show has been downloaded more than 25 million times from public torrent trackers since it began in early April, and its piracy hit a new peak following April 30th’s episode, with more than 2.5 million downloads in a day.”
~*~*~Ember~*~*~ :bow:

Evenflow
Drunken Pirate
Drunken Pirate
Custom Rank: More than just pumpkin bombs

Postby Evenflow » Sat May 12, 2012 9:14 am

So, after watching the first three episodes of season 2, I really like the actress playing Meli. She's sexy and exactly how I envsioned her looking. Sadly, I cannot say the same for Stannis. I guess I want more from him since he is one of the favorite characters in the book. I will give him more time though, but it's looking bleak. Can't nail all the roles perfectly.
Avengers Assembling May 2012 - Felicia Day is ugly - December 20th is the day Darth Evenmaul is born.

Feaduin
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Billions and billions eaten.

Postby Feaduin » Wed May 16, 2012 1:21 am

Plankytown lol. Must be a place made by pirates with one punishment for every crime. Arrr.

Feaduin
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Feaduin » Wed May 23, 2012 1:15 am

It looks like my question was answered thanks to Ep 7 and Ep 8. Once the First Men were mentioned, it became easy to connect the bad blood to the First Men v. Andals thing.

Anyone else get reminded of Aveline when Brienne is on screen?

Feaduin
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Feaduin » Tue May 29, 2012 1:36 am

So HBO finally showed a large scale battle. Bravo!

Spoiler: show
Wow Stannis is just really uncharismatic... is that the way he in the books too? I was kinda hoping to see him get his grape crushed by a rock since he was stupid enough to charge sans helmet. I don't know why they didn't fill a trench with that green liquid fire shit or simply drop it onto their attackers.

/edit fixed tag...
Last edited by Feaduin on Tue May 29, 2012 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

SectsDryve
Quartermaster
Quartermaster
Custom Rank: I'm a cotton headed ninny-muggins

Postby SectsDryve » Tue May 29, 2012 2:55 am

I thought about why they didn't use the bottles of wild fire too. But the issue that came to my head, is what occurred to Lord Tyrion a few episodes back. Having just a single basket of the vials inside of the walls is extremely dangerous. Clumsy Guard... Stray Arrow... Enthusiastic invader and there is a fire inside the walls. Fire in the walls = melty melty sad day.
Elune:
Jeabus-Human Warlock, Hoshi-Night Elf Druid, Ginkobiloba-Undead Mage

Kiawah
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Drive fast, take chances

Postby Kiawah » Tue May 29, 2012 4:27 am

Yeah... they even make a point of it in the TV show that while Stannis has the best claim, no one actually wants him to be king because he's a prick.

Feaduin
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Feaduin » Tue May 29, 2012 9:43 am

Well I figure that if they were going for broke with a HUGE uncontrolled explosion with the 1 ship, that they could at least send another. Even if the ship was empty, it would freak all the rowers out and scatter the landing craft. I loved the look on the maester's face. Like the face of someone about to eat pie. A red hot flaming pie. And I don't mean Ros. I figure that a pyro like him would be able to figure out some devious ways to deploy the wild fire in a reasonably safe manner for siege defense.

SectsDryve
Quartermaster
Quartermaster

Postby SectsDryve » Tue May 29, 2012 3:48 pm

I agree. I think that between all the military minds and Tyrion that they would come up with another way to have used their new might. Smaller floating buoys. Another Ship (empty or full). Something I'm not thinking of... But Daddy has saved the day and all the Lannister Children are going to be put back into place. And they need to show what everyone else was up to -- though the battle was thrilling.
Elune:

Ember
Master Gunner
Master Gunner
Custom Rank: AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Postby Ember » Tue May 29, 2012 7:54 pm

I like the tactics Tyrion rigs up in the book much, much better then in the show for the Battle of Blackwater. I'm not sure why they strayed from the strategy employed in the book. Tyrion has all the blacksmiths create this HUGE chain which he uses as a boom at the mouth of the river that runs along side the castle. He sinks the chain under the water and waits until all of Stannis' ships are up the river then he lifts the chain. Follows this up with throwing pots of wildfire on the ships and as they catch fire and blow apart they float downriver up against that chain. Anything caught up or down river from the fiery hell holes of ships are caught because of the damn chain. Ships end up clogging the end of the river, sailors and knights (not dead from the fire) abandon ship only to be caught between two armies in the end, the solders of the Red Keep that come pouring out to kill the stragglers and Tywin's forces near the end of the battle on the far side of the river.

The book strategy shows ho much pre-planning Tyrion did on his own instead of piggy backing on Cersei's idea. It's pretty mysterious for a few chapters as to why he's got all the blacksmiths working on a "special" project for him. It's not until halfway through those chapters that he learns of Cersei's wildfire collection. He just adds that on to his strategy in the end.

Oh and Tyrion literally loses his nose during the fighting. There's lots and lots of jokes about how he's less then half a man now that he's less a nose in the books. At least Podrick still saves Tyrion's life. :)
~*~*~Ember~*~*~ :bow:

Feaduin
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Feaduin » Tue May 29, 2012 10:37 pm

Ember wrote:
I like the tactics Tyrion rigs up in the book much, much better then in the show for the Battle of Blackwater. I'm not sure why they strayed from the strategy employed in the book. Tyrion has all the blacksmiths create this HUGE chain which he uses as a boom at the mouth of the river that runs along side the castle. He sinks the chain under the water and waits until all of Stannis' ships are up the river then he lifts the chain. Follows this up with throwing pots of wildfire on the ships and as they catch fire and blow apart they float downriver up against that chain. Anything caught up or down river from the fiery hell holes of ships are caught because of the damn chain. Ships end up clogging the end of the river, sailors and knights (not dead from the fire) abandon ship only to be caught between two armies in the end, the solders of the Red Keep that come pouring out to kill the stragglers and Tywin's forces near the end of the battle on the far side of the river.

The book strategy shows ho much pre-planning Tyrion did on his own instead of piggy backing on Cersei's idea. It's pretty mysterious for a few chapters as to why he's got all the blacksmiths working on a "special" project for him. It's not until halfway through those chapters that he learns of Cersei's wildfire collection. He just adds that on to his strategy in the end.

Oh and Tyrion literally loses his nose during the fighting. There's lots and lots of jokes about how he's less then half a man now that he's less a nose in the books. At least Podrick still saves Tyrion's life. :)

On that note about Cersei's idea, aside from all the rape-y talk she scares Sansa-16GB-MP3-Player with, why doesn't Cersei issue commands? She's already got a silly looking breast plate on and it was her thing to stockpile the wildfire. I'm not saying she would need to lead from the front but she shows that she can think strategically and be a general. Looking back at S2E5, the pyromancer said they had made 7811 pots at the time Tyrion discovers the cache which was already enough to destroy all of Stannis' assets so you'd figure they'd have planned more things they could do with the wildfire. I agree from your description that the book version sounds much better but maybe the answer to why they changed it came from Bronn's advice? Unless his speech about men shittin' their drawers was also in the book.

PopnFresh
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby PopnFresh » Thu May 31, 2012 4:22 pm

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/25KABvPbq-U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

There's some swearing, so watch with headphones if at work
"Classic Wedge"

Feaduin
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Feaduin » Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:27 pm

I suppose it was only a matter of time before someone tried to recreate Westeros in Minecraft.

http://westeroscraft.com/

They've been working on many different pieces of the world and there are vids of their creations.

Like this one of the creation of Dragonstone.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/sUdLSyR3jAY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Feaduin
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Feaduin » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:44 am

Where are the wolves? I NEED to see the wolves.

Here's hoping tonight's finale will show them doing something more than just snarl and turn faces with doggie breath. I need to see them tear out throats or maybe bite off someone's sword arm or something. If not, then just put them in the background so that when the humans are having expository scenes, my mind can wander as I imagine what their fluffy fur coats would feel like as I scratched their ears.

Feaduin
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Feaduin » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:50 pm

And now the wait for S3 is on. :(

I've been reading some web comments about the finale being a letdown and merely a setup for Season 3. I can't agree with such a sentiment knowing that the entire series is based on a much longer story. Maybe it would have suited those folks better to have some of the events from E9 moved to E10 like the Battle of Blackwater. I felt that the entire season 2 moved rather quickly so it didn't matter to me. I've rewatched all of the S2 episodes several times and each time I find that something I didn't understand in the current episode went back to a couple lines of dialogue exchanged earlier in the season that I missed. As an audence member who hasn't read the books, I'm realizing that I have to pay extra careful attention to every line and every detail or risk being confused later. Anyway this episode I only have a few things that bug me. 1) Why was it so easy to kill the wizard that looks like Squidward? You'd think he would know that dragons = flaming death and take precautions and use his doppleganger power 2) the Whitewalkers should not sound like Nazghul. 3) Did Tyrion lose Podrick? Varys says "Come along now, Podrick" as he leaves so it was either to give them some privacy or he lost his squire as well.

SectsDryve
Quartermaster
Quartermaster

Postby SectsDryve » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:49 pm

I haven't read the books. But I have a few interpretations to the things you listed.

1) The dragons looked directly at the real one, so the doppelganger power wasn't going to fool them. The dragons sourced/powered up his powers so he would have little defense against dragon's fire. Squidward did look quite surprised to see they breathed fire at such a young age. He doesn't know much about dragons, completely underestimated them. He still died much too fast and too much like a bitch. I think they were rushing through those events to get to Jon Snow.

2) I'm sure the Whitewalkers show off their Nazgul impressions every chance they get.

3) Poderick. Hmmm... I think he is loyal to Tyrion. But I believe he was in Varys' pocket from the beginning. He didn't lose him. Varys just wanted to make sure Tyrion had alone time with Shae. Varys is playing a huge game, he didn't tell anyone about Shae. So I think they are just showing things leading up to Varys' larger play.
Last edited by SectsDryve on Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Elune:

Feaduin
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Feaduin » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:15 am

4) Did we just see Arya talking to her advanced class trainer? It sounded like she was presented with her AC choice to be a water dancer or shadow assasin. She chose to defer the decision but her quest log probably says "Choose your advanced class - part 1) Get to Braavos"

SectsDryve
Quartermaster
Quartermaster

Postby SectsDryve » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:53 am

Elune:

Feaduin
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Feaduin » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:27 pm

^The whothefuck guy is obviously Vladimir Putin. Ros (or maybe talisa, hard to see in her scene) shouldbe nicknamed "boobs" as she actially has them. terrible nick though.... Id rather make up my own for her like Firewhore or something.

SectsDryve
Quartermaster
Quartermaster

Postby SectsDryve » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:05 pm

Elune:

Tamayo
Captain
Captain

Postby Tamayo » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:10 am

Nice speech, Greyjoy.
"Critics who treat adult as a term of approval cannot be adult themselves. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

PopnFresh
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby PopnFresh » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:09 pm

Surprisingly well done

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kL7RWUva7ak" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
"Classic Wedge"

Feaduin
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Feaduin » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:01 pm

Return to “Movies, TV and Anime”