Game of Thrones

All that BoobTube goodness...
PopnFresh
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Whatever Damon is, plus one.

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby PopnFresh » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:52 am

The second book was also my second least favorite (book 4 gets bottom honors), but I still think it's good. Shit happens. It's just that he's still introducing main characters, so it feels like a bridge to the events-packed book 3 (which is easily my favorite in the series). Though I did hear that they're going to be pulling stuff in from book 3 where it makes sense and integrate it here; both because book 3 is really long, and because Robb doesn't have much face time in book 2 (though he is constantly talked about) and they don't want people to forget him.

I actually really liked the episode, even if it was somewhat uneventful. Davos looks like he was cast perfectly, I like Stannis so far also, and they did a great job of summarizing some meandering parts of the book (like the long prologue, while interesting in print, had so much internal monologue that I was glad they just summarized it in a few minutes). I did feel like I'd have been lost if I hadn't read the books, especially in regards to someone like Renly.

Happy it's back, and already dreading how close the season finale is, followed by the agonizing wait for season 3.
Poppin' up fresh, every time!
"Classic Wedge"

Feaduin
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Billions and billions eaten.

Postby Feaduin » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:12 pm

gah, the fact that you just mentioned 3 names I don't remember means that I have to rewatch.

/edit Ok so I marathoned S1 again hoping that I could be less confused by all these new people. I was REALLY confused by Melisandre because I coulda sworn that I saw her in S1. But she was nowhere to be found. Turns out that I saw the actress and Sean Bean in Black Death not that long ago and I was mentally mixing the two roles up. The roles are almost the same though and she delivered the same creepy witch-woman performance so you can imagine. But this still raises the question... how did Stannis come across Melisandre in the first place?

Feaduin
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Feaduin » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:17 pm

Anyone else watching this or are we all waiting for torrents? :P

Is it just me or did the opening music change slightly? It seems "thinner" to me... like it lost some bass or something. It could be the streams I'm watching though.

Spoiler: show
Grog can access my journal for more info. No spiders!

Kiawah
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Drive fast, take chances

Postby Kiawah » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:51 pm

I subd to hbo for this, but not much has happened so far, at least with thr first two episodes, so not much to say. The opening changes every so often, based on which ever cities appear in that episode.

Oh the music... that sounds about the same to me, but I suck at telling the difference between sounds, smells, and tastes.

Feaduin
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Feaduin » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:32 am

Whoa that was gross...S2E4
The first shadow baby seen last night... you weren't kidding about the birthing part. Like some unholy creampie gone rotten. I wanted to see more of the effect though. Too short! I hope they show it kicking ass next episode instead of doing an aftermath cut.

Kiawah
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Kiawah » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:38 am

That whole episode gave me the chills. I really enjoyed the Harrenhal scenes with Arya as well.

Feaduin
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Feaduin » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:49 am

Is it just me or did Loras get a lot chunkier since we saw him last season? Like +5 lbs of face or something. In contrast, his sister Anne Boleyn, er, Natalie Dormer hasn't changed in the 5 years since she starred in The Tudors (which I just marathoned and recommend). I think each episode needs to be like 2 hours or something. It really feels like with so many different stories happening at once, they just can't show all of it.

Kiawah
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Kiawah » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:41 pm

I've been having the same feelings I had during the first season. The first ~5 episodes or so were pretty boring and a lot of dialogue, but right around episode 6 shit starts to hit the fan. I have a feeling that they're doing a lot of build up here in these first few episodes and when the shit does hit the fan, it's going to be pretty awesome.

I think I read some where that book 3 will get split into 2 seasons, so hopefully that will give them some more time to focus on a smaller amount of stories. The complexity and realism is what makes the story what it is though, this isn't your simple hero's journey kind of story.

Feaduin
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Feaduin » Wed May 02, 2012 11:36 pm

I'm one of those people that really enjoy drama and depth of characters and deep back stories. If I like a world, I am most happy when I get to explore the nooks and crannies of different civilizations, real or imagined. So all the expositional material immerses me and develops my understanding of the Martin world. I find myself wanting to see more and more which is why I wish each episode were two hours long or that the season was 22-26 episodes long. A slow burn can be a good burn.

Feaduin
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Feaduin » Thu May 10, 2012 11:43 am

PopnFresh
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby PopnFresh » Thu May 10, 2012 11:48 am

I also saw that the ratings are way up this season. Last I looked, the lowest episode of season 2 was still 750k viewers above the highest episode of season 1.

Sunday's episode was phenomatastic. The last three have felt really strong, each getting progressively better. Interesting that the last Dany scene seems so major but is completely original to the show.

Lubs
"Classic Wedge"

dcazman
Captain
Captain
Custom Rank: Master of the obvious.
Games: PS4 games

Postby dcazman » Thu May 10, 2012 12:35 pm

Is there a legitimate way for me to watch the game of thrones at a reasonable cost? I am not even sure how much $ is too much but I am not going to pay the $3 thing to download per one. I might consider 1 dollar per download.

What are my legitimate options ?
This space for rent , playing DOW and games on the PS3

Feaduin
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Feaduin » Thu May 10, 2012 1:17 pm

You have none, sadly. Thus the insane amount of piracy.

Seeing Ep6 on how dickish some characters become, it made me think about Ned Stark's words about the whole "person passing the sentence should also carry it out" thing. It seems very noble in thought and puts the burden of the punishment upon the judge thereby making the system seem more just to those being ruled and all that. But I would point out that this notion, however noble and righteous, leaves everyone else with very little practice in the art of something that requires a great deal of precision - that "something" being a beheading. If you need to use your feet, you've obviously fucked it up!

Sord
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: The Trev

Postby Sord » Thu May 10, 2012 1:25 pm

If you didn't/couldn't read the article, you may have missed this gem of a comic.
http://theoatmeal.com/comics/game_of_thrones

Hrm looks like it gets cut off part way through the photo. Oh well, link above.
Bye space sword!

SectsDryve
Quartermaster
Quartermaster
Custom Rank: I'm a cotton headed ninny-muggins

Postby SectsDryve » Thu May 10, 2012 1:32 pm

Feaduin wrote:...that "something" being a beheading. If you need to use your feet, you've obviously fucked it up!

I'm taking into account that they just finished the raid on Winter Fell so there wasn't time to properly sharpen his sword, but I get your meaning. That is why, as a ruler, you carry out more sentences. For practice.
Elune:
Jeabus-Human Warlock, Hoshi-Night Elf Druid, Ginkobiloba-Undead Mage

Lightfeather
Site Admin
Site Admin
Custom Rank: Your Admin
Games: World of Warcraft
Guild: Broken Circle

Postby Lightfeather » Thu May 10, 2012 5:24 pm

The comic didn't get cut off, you just didnt' link all the images. If you look at the source of the oatmeal page, there is a 1.jpg 2.jpg and 3.jpg that make up the whole thing. I guess it was too long to make it a single image. I'll fix it.

/EDIT - I also hid them behind a spoiler tag so it didn't make for a lot of scrolling.
ImageImage

Feaduin
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Feaduin » Thu May 10, 2012 5:32 pm

Here's another question that bugged me while watching Ep 6. Why are the "southerners" at war with the Wildlings? If they were a beast race, I'd get it. But they look human, they seem to look to the Old Gods (which from what I understand, some in the south still worship), and most importantly, they share a common and very scary enemy - so scary that the Wildlings are willing to risk death by fleeing south. You'd think that these two groups could coexist at least to the point where it isn't at a kill-on-sight level. Maybe some trade, some cooperative joint ventures, invites to festivals, etc. and soon they'd be intermarrying and blending. That redheaded woman, Egrit, that Jon Snow captured was attractive and clean did not look at all like a scarred-up dirt person who roamed the wilds looking for termite hills and chasing game. "Keeping warm" with her looked playful and fun. Her clothes looked like they belong to a settled people who took great thought into how her hooded jacket was made. Watching again, @ around 19:20, the Wildling party looked more like modern winter commandos and look more sophisticated than the clothes the Night's Watch wears. The dude with the bow would not have looked out of place if he were seen cleaning a rifle instead of stringing a bow. Watching the snippet again, they seem to speak a common tongue without communication issues.

Anyway, my point is, these two groups are not so dissimilar that they couldn't remain civil enough to not kill each other without a word. So that must mean there is something else I'm missing - something that happened between these two groups in the past to garner so much hate. I suppose one of you book-folk could enlighten me?

Sord
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Sord » Thu May 10, 2012 6:15 pm

Figures it would be something simple like that. Thanks Nicole. Also, that was kind of the point. I wanted to ruin everyone's day making them scroll through a huge image :( Way to take away my birthday.
Bye space sword!

Feaduin
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Feaduin » Thu May 10, 2012 6:17 pm

Happy b-day man! Also I'm stealing your bling.

/edit dammit, you put it away too soon :P

Sord
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Sord » Thu May 10, 2012 6:24 pm

It's totally not my birthday :giggle: And 2 failed robber attempts! So I banked my whopping 61 bling. MINE.
Bye space sword!

PopnFresh
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby PopnFresh » Thu May 10, 2012 6:28 pm

There are probably some nuances that I'm forgetting, but I think first and foremost it's because those people live north of the wall specifically because they refuse to live by the laws of any of the kingdoms. They are anarchists that value personal freedom over everything else, to the point that you can murder someone and the only thing to worry about is who you pissed off that might come murder you in return. They're basically considered barbarians, and I believe it's alluded that they are the primary threat to Night's Watch rangers when you consider that the undead guys have only recently been seen again, which is what has made them kill-on-sight level.

Your logic of a common, greater enemy to ally against is right on, but the world has a lot of millenia-old traditions and biases that are hard for the characters to overlook.

And for what it's worth, I think it's a safe assumption that the reason Jon didn't kill her is because he's having similar philosophical hang ups
"Classic Wedge"

Kiawah
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Kiawah » Thu May 10, 2012 6:42 pm

Remember too that most of the people in Westeros don't believe in the White Walkers, so they don't really see a need to ally with them. Also, the Wildlings do attack and raid/rape south of the Wall pretty regularly. There's fighting on both sides.

Feaduin
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Feaduin » Thu May 10, 2012 7:16 pm

^ That's the thing... how does anything get past this massive wall? If the Wildlings are able to breach the wall with enough regularity to be such a threat, then the Wall would be practically useless. They can't simply be anarchists because such chaos and instability could not support a crafting industry skilled enough to make articulated snow commando outfits (full fingered gloves, leather belts with brass buckles, boots with thick soles, and such as opposed to layers of simple patchwork of animal skins tied with sinew or rope). The only thing I can think of is that they have a society of some cohesion (as she calls them Free Peoples that number in the hundreds of thousands which isn't possible if they don't farm), and that they were bitterly defeated by Southern men at some point or one side or both committed some unspeakable atrocities.

SectsDryve
Quartermaster
Quartermaster
Custom Rank: I'm a cotton headed ninny-muggins

Postby SectsDryve » Thu May 10, 2012 10:43 pm

The wildlings, according to 'Egrid' know that there is shelter in seemingly flat tundra frosted areas. They know the wastes more than some of the more seasoned rangers, i.e. Quoiron Halfhand. They would know a series of caves that bypasses the Castle Black's elevator. I'm not worried about how they get from the northlands to the south. The first episode of the first season showed deserters of the Watch make it almost to Winterfell. How did those deserters find their way down? There is more that one way past the wall, clearly.

As for sharing the old religion. I got a sense that they worship more the gods that were okay with human sacrifice. The fathers of the people now that were followers of the old gods -- seemed to me, to be against that sort of thing. Old testament/new testament?
Elune:

Jeabus-Human Warlock, Hoshi-Night Elf Druid, Ginkobiloba-Undead Mage

Feaduin
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Feaduin » Fri May 11, 2012 12:40 am

Ah yes, you're right. Forgot about that. There shouldn't have been a way for the deserter to come back through the Wall and yet there he was south of it. As a Ranger, he would have known that the castles were not all manned, serious holes in the security, etc., and there's the explanation. Ygritte (had to look it up) and her kind would probably have scouted out the holes as well.

Return to “Movies, TV and Anime”