Tamayo
Captain
Captain

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby Tamayo » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:28 pm

Amazing show, but
Spoiler: show
why does Sean Bean always have to die :((((((((((
"Critics who treat adult as a term of approval cannot be adult themselves. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Feaduin
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Billions and billions eaten.

Postby Feaduin » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:38 am

RPG style

<object id="ch6579356" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data="http://www.collegehumor.com/moogaloop/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=6579356&use_node_id=true&fullscreen=1" width="600" height="338"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true"/><param name="wmode" value="transparent"/><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"/><param name="movie" quality="best" value="http://www.collegehumor.com/moogaloop/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=6579356&use_node_id=true&fullscreen=1"/><embed src="http://www.collegehumor.com/moogaloop/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=6579356&use_node_id=true&fullscreen=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="600" height="338" allowScriptAccess="always"></embed></object>

Evenflow
Drunken Pirate
Drunken Pirate
Custom Rank: More than just pumpkin bombs

Postby Evenflow » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:50 am

Huge congrats to Peter Dinklage for winning the Emmy for best supporting character in a drama. Sadly, that's all Game of Thrones won besides best opening cinematic. He thanked his dog sitter, Kitty, and that makes him the coolest dude ever.
Avengers Assembling May 2012 - Felicia Day is ugly - December 20th is the day Darth Evenmaul is born.

Tamayo
Captain
Captain

Postby Tamayo » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:25 am

Shoulda won best drama too, not that award shows ever do anything right

"Critics who treat adult as a term of approval cannot be adult themselves. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Evenflow
Drunken Pirate
Drunken Pirate

Postby Evenflow » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:10 pm

Well, I mean, there were going against Mad Men. And the 4th season of Mad Men is easily best. Taking down Mad Men at this point is worse odds than David taking down Goliath. I prefer Game of Thrones to Mad Men, but in all fairness, Mad Men is the better written and acted TV show.
Avengers Assembling May 2012 - Felicia Day is ugly - December 20th is the day Darth Evenmaul is born.

Feaduin
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Feaduin » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:36 am

Well I didnt want to resort to downloading this but since nobody had this available for purchase, or streaming or ANYTHING, there was no choice but to find a torrent. They didn't really think I was going to wait for a DVD purchase did they? So I did a ten hour marathon yesterday and I have a question for those who read the book.

since I didn't see much magic in the traditional sense, what is Daenaerys exactly? dragonkin like in D&D? No one else seemed particularly special except for her and maybe the healer/witch who created a zombie king. is it a limited magic universe?

PopnFresh
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Whatever Damon is, plus one.

Postby PopnFresh » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:59 am

It's a fairly limited magic world.

Yeah, I guess she's similar to a Dragonkin concept. The book regularly mentions how she has "dragon's blood" and such, and it sounds like hokery until she survives the pyre.

There will be other magics, but it never gets to the extent of like, wizards casting fireballs on the battlefield. Book 2 has some bizarre supernatural style magic in it in a few scenes, including some very important ones. There are other, similar hints of magic and witchery, but it's usually along the line of things like prophetic visions coming fully or partially true.
Poppin' up fresh, every time!
"Classic Wedge"

Kiawah
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Drive fast, take chances

Postby Kiawah » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:36 pm

Some of this is spoiler... FYI

There is magic in the world, but most of it is based off religion. There are 3 sets of gods in their world, what they refer to as the old gods, the new gods, and the even newer gods of light.

The old gods, the gods of the north... aka the gods the Starks pray to have a lot of different powers. Almost all of the Stark children are wargen, meaning they can see through the eyes of their wolves, and control their wolf's actions. Bran really takes this ability to the extreme and is eventually trying to be a greenseer where he can take the form of any animal, as well as the old trees (the trees in the show that have eyes and faces).

The newest gods, the gods of light have a lot of different powers as well and are usually referred to as red priests and priestess. Melisandre, who will become a major player in the next book can do all sorts of things. She can use the shadows as offensive weapons and see "into the fires" to kinda sorta see the future. Thoros, also a red priest, of the Brotherhood Without Banners (they don't really pop up much until the 3rd book) can resurrect the dead.

There are also other smaller magic types, like the Pyromancers in Kings Landing who like to play with fire and also resurrect people, and warlocks in Qarth. But like Derek said, it does exist, and it is important to certain plotlines... but you aren't going to see anyone casting fireballs on a whim.

As for Danny... the TV show and the book are slightly different. In the book, it's made clear that the Targaryen's have a high tolerance to fire, but the TV show seemed to make it seem that they were outright immune to it. The Targaryen's used and bred dragons to help them conquer the kingdom originally, and while they are closer to dragons than some... they're not necessarily magical.

Feaduin
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Feaduin » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:27 pm

Oh ok I wasn't thinking of Bran's dreams as an actual power. Interesting. I thought his dreams were just psychological trauma PTSD type stuff. I don't remember them talking about the gods of light on the show so I suppose they and the red __whatevers___ will show up next season or something. They inferred that there was blood magic used on Drogo by doing an off camera/sound effects spell so I knew it had to exist. I suppose they just needed to save money. Kinda like what they did for the giant battle. That was a LOT of build up for an off camera event. I hate that shit. 18K soldier fight... ok that is a lot... but 2k should have been easier to fake.

Kiawah
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Kiawah » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:55 pm

Feaduin wrote:Oh ok I wasn't thinking of Bran's dreams as an actual power. Interesting. I thought his dreams were just psychological trauma PTSD type stuff. I don't remember them talking about the gods of light on the show so I suppose they and the red __whatevers___ will show up next season or something. They inferred that there was blood magic used on Drogo by doing an off camera/sound effects spell so I knew it had to exist. I suppose they just needed to save money. Kinda like what they did for the giant battle. That was a LOT of build up for an off camera event. I hate that shit. 18K soldier fight... ok that is a lot... but 2k should have been easier to fake.

Yeah the stuff with Bran is a good 4 books away. Bran just thinks its psychological trama up until the 2nd book. But in the second book he meets Jojen who tells him its actually wargen stuff he's doing and works with Bran to develop it further. The 3 eyed crow he keeps dreaming about ends up being a bigger factor later on.

All the "Light" religion doesn't really show up until the 2nd book when <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carice_van_Houten">Melisandre</a> is introduced. But it plays a very large role in the 2nd and 3rd novels (and kinda the 5th too).

I hate to even tell you this well I'll do spoiler so you can skip it:
The second book probably has the largest battle of them all, and according to interviews it won't be that big on the TV show

PopnFresh
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby PopnFresh » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:58 pm

The red god stuff definitely becomes more prominent in Book 2, to the point that until the show, I forgot there was any references to it in Book 1.

Also...
Hey Kiawah, there's a spoiler tag
"Classic Wedge"

Evenflow
Drunken Pirate
Drunken Pirate

Postby Evenflow » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:08 pm

There are way more than 3 different types of religions in the books. Also, you're making the magic sound a lot more prominent then it actually is.

We don't know if all Starks can be Wargs. I've yet to see Rickon enter his wolf nor did we ever see Robb enter the eyes of his. This may be in part to the fact that they aren't POV characters. For Melissandre, she can't really use the shadows for offense per say. Giving birth to one killer shadow exhausts almost all of her power.

That's all I will say for now, I'm pretty sure I could say more, but I'm at work.

Sord
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: The Trev

Postby Sord » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:15 pm

I just wanted to be included.
Bye space sword!

Kiawah
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Kiawah » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:16 pm

Evenflow wrote:There are way more than 3 different types of religions in the books. Also, you're making the magic sound a lot more prominent then it actually is.

We don't know if all Starks can be Wargs. I've yet to see Rickon enter his wolf nor did we ever see Robb enter the eyes of his. This may be in part to the fact that they aren't POV characters. For Melissandre, she can't really use the shadows for offense per say. Giving birth to one killer shadow exhausts almost all of her power.

That's all I will say for now, I'm pretty sure I could say more, but I'm at work.

I didn't mean to imply that it was prominent, but only that it was important. Renly, Catelyn, Bran, Gregor, Sandor, Daenerys, Jon, Varys, Araya, Davos, Jojen, all major characters, all had their stories impacted hugely by something "magical". No Melisandre isn't lobbing out shadow babies of death every few pages, but the two times she does do it is pretty important. It's not every where, but it is in the world, it does have a major impact on the story, so it's worth understanding it when it's there.

PopnFresh
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby PopnFresh » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:01 pm

Fuck off
"Classic Wedge"

Munki
Custom Rank: Alouette, gentille Alouette

Postby Munki » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:33 am

Never gonna give you up
Never gonna let you down
Never gonna run around and desert you
Space for Rent

Feaduin
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Feaduin » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:08 pm

You know when I read "...giving birth to shadow babies...", in my head I've got a picture of a woman queefing billowy black smoke balls in a Street Fighter like pose.... you know, like the way Chun Li stands with her ass way out to the back likes she's in heat and presenting during her fireball animation, except with her ass towards the enemy.

Evenflow
Drunken Pirate
Drunken Pirate

Postby Evenflow » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:24 pm

That's how they are going to do it in the show.

Feaduin
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Feaduin » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:54 pm

Hope this still works since Fox took all the youtube ones down.

<iframe src="http://videos.mediaite.com/embed/player/?content=SB3HDJ2YN8D4TQFL&content_type=content_item&layout=&playlist_cid=&media_type=video&widget_type_cid=svp&read_more=1" width="600" height="601" frameborder="0" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" scrolling="no" allowtransparency="true"></iframe>

Tamayo
Captain
Captain

Postby Tamayo » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:54 am

Haha, that's pretty good

Feaduin
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Feaduin » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:55 pm

So whatcha all think about the premier? I feel as though I need to watch season 1 again cuz I forgot most of the northerners.... I guess except for john snow.

Tamayo
Captain
Captain

Postby Tamayo » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:06 am

I wasn't paying attention close enough during the first season I think, I missed a lot of details about who is related to who and all that. I did alright with this episode, I'm slowly starting to figure out what's going on. Seemed like a fairly standard episode to me, not bad by any means, but no real oh shit moments and I see they waste no time reminding us to despise that stupid kid-king and wish that horrible horrible things will happen to him (I liked him getting bitch slapped by his momma though). I miss Sean Bean, because Sean Bean is awesome... and I'm not tagging that as a spoiler because he is a walking spoiler and everyone know the man eats it in every single role he plays. I like Robb Stark a lot now, he's one of my new favorites along with Jon. So I'm guessing he'll be dead within a few episodes, based on what I hear about G.R.R. Martin's character killing habits, that anyone you like will die.

Kiawah
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Kiawah » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:23 am

I'm pretty much in the same boat in that it seemed like a standard episode. I was really excited that it was back though. I spent most of last week rewatching season 1 on dvd. Overall I'm pumped that it's back on.

The 2nd book is my 2nd least favorite book, so I'm not really expecting *too* much from this season anyways. I just want to get through it.

Feaduin
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Feaduin » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:40 am

Kiawah wrote:I'm pretty much in the same boat in that it seemed like a standard episode. I was really excited that it was back though. I spent most of last week rewatching season 1 on dvd. Overall I'm pumped that it's back on.

The 2nd book is my 2nd least favorite book, so I'm not really expecting *too* much from this season anyways. I just want to get through it.

We saw a lot of 2 factions for the opener and I'm hoping to see more of what happens to the Stark kids. NO MORE PIGEON KILLING though, girl! :-x

That's not a good thing if this season turns into a 'get through it' kind of thing. I hope that doesn't mean that the show will bleed audience because we know what HBO does when that happens :(. Why is this in spoiler tags?

Return to “Movies, TV and Anime”