Game of Thrones

All that BoobTube goodness...
Screwtape
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Sexy Pahties!

Game of Thrones

Postby Screwtape » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:53 am

New HBO show based on the George R.R. Martin books.

Only up to two episodes, and I like it! At first I only saw the 2 episodes back to back cause for whatever reason, I've always thought that Sean Bean was a solid actor, never amazing, but a solid actor who for whatever reason always commands presences in his films.

I liked it so much I started reading the book, and thus far, if you have read the book, it is ridiculously true to the novel. I'm starting to read ahead of the first two episodes, but the changes to the characters thus far have been minor, mostly age issues, literally. The Stark (thus far the family with the most focus on them) family and its childrens' ages are the biggest modifications, which is barely noticeable. In fact, a lot of the script is actually verbatim, and having Martin actively participating in production makes the Song of Ice and Fire world seem even more legitimate and true.

Anyway, I can't give it a full seal of approval until more episodes air, but so far its solid, and lets face it, HBO is not known for airing shit shows.
I will enthrall you with my Puerto Rican voodoo love charms.

Ember
Master Gunner
Master Gunner
Custom Rank: AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby Ember » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:34 am

So far I'm in love with the show. Like you said, only two episodes to go on, but they've been very true to the books (as much as two hours time thus far, ten hours total for the whole season, can afford to be).

I already HATE, HATE, HATE Geoffry, Cersei, and Jamie. I do want to go have a drink with Tyrion. I squeal like a little girl when I see the direwolves in action (man, now I want another dog and I want one of THOSE, anyone know what breed those are?). All the things I love from the novels.

Spoiler: show
The look of death that the girl playing Arya gave to Geoffry & Cersei at the end of this week's episode before Ned had to go do his thing with Lady was incredible. I remember reading about how her hate developed in the book and it was awesome to see it on her face. And of course, I cried during the Lady scene just like I do when reading the book. So silly, I've read and reread the book, now seen the show, every damn time, that scene... here comes the tears.

I'm glad you're reading them George, one of my all time favorite series. The first few chapters aren't even the BEST in my opinion, it just keeps getting better and better. I can't wait for you to get to the good parts.
~*~*~Ember~*~*~ :bow:

Sord
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: The Trev

Postby Sord » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:38 am

I have not read any of the books but I've been watching the show and enjoying it. I did hit up Wikipedia though to get a rundown on some of the characters and a brief overview of the entire store.

I think Tyrion and Arya are my favorite characters so far and they sure do a great job of making me hate the queen and her family (sans Tyrion, cause he's awesome). I like seeing Sean Bean in a starring role where he's not likely to die at the end :)

I can already see where the story is heading with Daenerys. The whole "barbarian king takes a civilized wife, civilized wife is reluctant at first but becomes a great barbarian queen" seems common stock in the fantasy genre. That actress looks awful young though. I was a bit shocked in the first episode when she was all topless, and then I realized it was TV and she had to be at least 18 :P Turns out she's actually in her earlier 20's!
Bye space sword!

Screwtape
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Screwtape » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:39 am

I don't know if its make up, or good acting by a kid, but the second Geoff showed up the Stark castle in his horse, I knew he was a dick. Either he has a naturally dick-ish face, or he's a pretty good actor.

I knooooow, those dogs are super cute, at first I thought the breed was an Alaskan Malamute (think Siberian Huskie meets German Shepherd), but their ears are larger and their bodies seem to be less bulky... Googled it and they are Northern Inuits!

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/northerninuitdog.htm

EDIT: Haha, Sordfish, I thought the same thing too. I IMDB'd her. Also, I really don't like her hair color, nothing wrong with the color itself, it just seems so unnatural on her (and same for her brother) that it just screams fake. Technically its accurate, book-wise, but the actors just don't mesh well with that hair color. Then again, I'm sure its hard to find actors that do.

Ember
Master Gunner
Master Gunner

Postby Ember » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:10 pm

Screwtape wrote:I don't know if its make up, or good acting by a kid, but the second Geoff showed up the Stark castle in his horse, I knew he was a dick. Either he has a naturally dick-ish face, or he's a pretty good actor.

He's got that pinched face combined with prissy mannerisms, so I think it's both. Derek pointed out how every time he was on screen the kid would put his left hand on the pommel of his sword like he was trying to draw attention to it like a dick. haha

Screwtape wrote:Also, I really don't like her hair color, nothing wrong with the color itself, it just seems so unnatural on her (and same for her brother) that it just screams fake. Technically its accurate, book-wise, but the actors just don't mesh well with that hair color. Then again, I'm sure its hard to find actors that do.

Yeah, it stands out to me too... mostly because both their eyebrows are dark in color. They're supposed to be platinum blond ("silver for my silver" when you get to that part in the book), but the eyebrows don't match. I think in the Making of, if I remember correctly, it was mentioned they're both wearing wigs. If they'd colored their hair they could have done the brows too making it look a tad more natural. But I don't even know if you can color dark hair with a lighter color. I'd imagine it's like painting a dark colored wall with white paint = pain in the a$$.

Sidonia
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Custom Rank: Donner of the Robe and Hat
Location: A world of my own... but it's ok, they know me here

Postby Sidonia » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:44 pm

Anyway for those of us without HBO to watch this...?

Ember
Master Gunner
Master Gunner

Postby Ember » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:40 pm

Download this: http://www.utorrent.com/

Then go here: http://thepiratebay.org/search/game%20of%20thrones/0/7/0

Not that I do this myself or support file sharing or torrenting in any way.... (make sure you download the torrent that has good reviews, don't get anything that says, "This thing sucks!", "Don't DL, virus", etc.)

Kiawah
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Drive fast, take chances

Postby Kiawah » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:25 am

This show is down right awesome. I can't think of anything negative about it, the acting is awesome, the action, faithful to the book, everything. It was definitely the right move though. An HBO show was about the only way I think you could make this story. It's too graphic for a normal cable show, and wayyy to complex for a movie. They just simply have more time to develop the characters in a TV show as opposed to a movie.

Daenerys is my favorite character I think. I can't wait to see her develop

Sord
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Sord » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:40 am

Daenerys is my favorite character I think. I can't wait to see her develop into a young woman

Fixed. I can't wait for that too.

Jesus fuck, she looks young.
Bye space sword!

Ember
Master Gunner
Master Gunner

Postby Ember » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:22 pm

Silly, but one of the best things I'm enjoying about the show is learning how George R R pronounces some of the damn names of his characters.

Daenerys (dane-are-eeys or dan-air-es?)

Arya (ira or are-ya?)

Cersei (sir-cee or cer-say or ker-say?)

etc.

Screwtape
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Screwtape » Mon May 02, 2011 11:52 am

Syrio is awesome. Awesome in the "Oh my god, so that's what Iñigo Montoya would be like in the world of Game of Thrones!" And he seems to be three feet tall.

Bree
Buccaneer
Buccaneer

Postby Bree » Fri May 06, 2011 5:18 pm

Love this show too, Jason had already read the first book before the show came out so I have started reading it as well, I am a little behind at the moment. Look forward to it every week, we decided to get HBO because of it.

Marcallo
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Grand Wizard

Postby Marcallo » Sat May 07, 2011 5:51 am

I watched the first episode. They definitely spent their money on sets, that's for sure. I'm looking forward to Daenary's brother getting his crown. That said, they made her older right? Wasn't she like 15 in the books?

I really have no patience for television, but I have HBO HD On Demand, so hopefully I'll get around to watching the next couple episodes this weekend.
Dog carcass in alley this morning, tire tread on burst stomach. This city is afraid of me. I have seen it's true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"...

...and I'll look down, and whisper "no."

Ember
Master Gunner
Master Gunner

Postby Ember » Tue May 10, 2011 12:12 pm

Things are starting to wind up into the Game. The show really is going a good job of following the story. I'm pretty pleased even four episodes into it.

Kiawah
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Kiawah » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:37 pm

I'm really curious what their plans are for this show's future.

HBO has already confirmed that there will be a season 2, but it looks like they're going to get the entire book into season 1. They have committed to making the second book Clash of Kings into a series as well. I guess that book could be season 2, and they just keep the name "game of thrones" for the entire series. That would leave them with a max of 4 seasons, maybe 5 by the time the 5th book comes out, or just go off on some tangent that's not in the novels. It will be interesting to see where they go with this after the first season has ended.

I thought it dragged a little there around episodes 3-5, but the last 2 episodes have been chilling, and I can't wait to see the end!

PopnFresh
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Whatever Damon is, plus one.

Postby PopnFresh » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:07 pm

Episodes 6 and 7 definitely felt mostly like setup episodes, but I've still thought everything has been great.

I could see them simply titling the next series as Clash of Kings and just use marketing to ensure everyone knows it's the same series. Or maybe just start using the book titles as a subtitle to Game of Thrones (e.g. Game of Thrones: A Storm of Swords). I mean, really the books didn't seem hindered by the same issue, and they don't advertise the series title of "A Song of Ice and Fire" very often.

I'm also not too worried about the series continuation in the future, though a lot depends on Martin. The first three books all came out in two year intervals, but these last two have taken much longer. Here's a potential scenario:
2012 - Clash of Kings series
2013 - Storm of Swords series pt. 1
2014 - Storm of Swords series pt. 2, Book 6 published
2015 - Feast for Crows series
2016 - Dance with Dragons series
2017 - Book 6 series, Book 7 published
2018 - Book 7 series

Storm of Swords is the longest book by a couple of hundred pages, but both it and Clash of Kings are also the most rife with potential filler material. There are tons of battles only mentioned in the books that could help draw out episodes enough that those two books fill three seasons. On the same note, Feast for Crows and Dance with Dragons overlap in the time period, so I could see those two books being combined into three seasons also.

And there's an outside chance the books come out closer to their original pace and that no book needs to be split into multiple seasons, though I think a split at some point would be beneficial for the story since books 1 and 2 are the shortest, and book 2 already has a couple more episodes than 1. Realistically, I could see them taking a season off at some point while they wait for a publish, but they've got a solid four years before they need to think about that.
Poppin' up fresh, every time!
"Classic Wedge"

Sord
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Sord » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:30 pm

I think the biggest thing you are all forgetting is that as a great HBO series, it is doomed to be cancelled after 3 seasons with little or no closure.

Deadwood says hello.
Bye space sword!

Kiawah
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Kiawah » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:25 pm

<a href="http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/showtracker/2011/06/as-game-of-thrones-nears-its-finale-showrunners-david-benioff-and-dan-weiss-talk-about-season-two.html">Found the answer to my question </a>

Looks like season 2 is going to be "Clash of Kings", which is going to be so badass. There's so much action in that book, it's going to be amazing how they're going to pull off those big battle scenes with a TV show budget.

Marcallo
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Grand Wizard

Postby Marcallo » Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:51 pm

Sord wrote:I think the biggest thing you are all forgetting is that as a great HBO series, it is doomed to be cancelled after 3 seasons with little or no closure.

Deadwood says hello.

Deadwood had an ending... the bad guy won. That's about as real life as you can get in that situation. But yeah I do agree, it probably could have gone another season or two and been just as good. "WHITE COCKSUCKA!!!"
Dog carcass in alley this morning, tire tread on burst stomach. This city is afraid of me. I have seen it's true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"...

...and I'll look down, and whisper "no."

Kiawah
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Kiawah » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:32 am

http://shelf-life.ew.com/2011/07/12/geo ... h-dragons/

Pretty good q&a here, with a lot of info on season 2. As for the Battle of the Blackwater, looks like it won't be a big scene in the TV series, due to budget reasons.
Also looks like Tyrion will keep his nose

Feaduin
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Billions and billions eaten.

Postby Feaduin » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:00 pm

Anyone find a good way to watch this w/o HBO? Aside from torrents that is.

Speaking of shortened battles, Rome did that cheat as well. I was anticipating a huge roman legion vs legion fight but instead it just skipped to the aftermath of an epic historical battle. Main chars bloody in the foreground, a few dead guys and smoke in the background and viola! Yadda yadda yadda'd out of a battle.

As for Deadwood.... sonuvafuckingcelestial... I bought the DVDs right before the Blu Ray came out. Anyway, one of the special features talked about how they planned for a 4th season or movie to tie up the loose ends. Impossible now since they struck the fucking sets. So did it end? I would say no. You couldn't tell which bad guy ultimately won. Nothing but hanging threads.

I don't understand how HBO can just kill a good series. They finished the Sopranos and Six Feet. Why not the others? If it's a matter of expense, then why not sell the rights for the series to someone who CAN handle it? Or just delay production until you fill your coffers? From what you guys are saying, this sounds great but I don't want to commit to another series that might die in the middle. How are the ratings doing?

Kiawah
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Kiawah » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:17 pm

Feaduin wrote: From what you guys are saying, this sounds great but I don't want to commit to another series that might die in the middle. How are the ratings doing?

From the same site:
http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/06/21/game- ... e-ratings/

The series finale got in about 3-4 million (that number comes up to about 8-9 million when you include repeat viewings + on demand). That's pretty average compared to some of their other shows, but good considering it was just the first season.
And even better considering a lot of viewers (who hadn't read the book) were really upset that Ned died... even to the point of swearing to never watch it again
It has a lot of backing from HBO though, season 2 was picked up almost immediately.

It'll really be dependent on how season 2 does really though. Ultimately what may kill this show is if the tv version catches up to the books. GRRM speculated in the article I linked that if book 3 remained 1 season and book's 4 and 5 are combined into 1 season (books 4 and 5 happen over the same time period, but because of the amount of content were split into 2 books) then it's very possible that the tv show would catch up (also assuming that it took another 5-6 years for the next book to come out). A long shot, but a possibility.

PopnFresh
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Whatever Damon is, plus one.

Postby PopnFresh » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:50 pm

Thankfully with this series, if it ends up getting killed after season 2 or 3, at least you can mitigate the woe by reading the books. Better than having nothing at all to tie up the loose ends.

Unless they end up having a full 20 - 26 episode season, i don't see how they would combine books 4 and 5 into one season. Though I think it's likely that instead of following the books exactly, they stick more to chronology, just because it makes way more sense for TV. We might not know for a few years, but speculating sure is fun!

And to be extra unhelpful: I have no idea where to watch the episodes :( hulu just links to hbo go. If torrents aren't a possibility, then maybe netflix in February...
Poppin' up fresh, every time!
"Classic Wedge"

Kiawah
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Kiawah » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:08 pm

Yeah I just downloaded them. The dvds won't come out for awhile. They were on HBO On Demand, but got taken off last week. HBO Go requires an hbo subscription, and to have one of a few select cable providers (mine isn't included sadly). That pretty much left only torrents.

Evenflow
Drunken Pirate
Drunken Pirate
Custom Rank: More than just pumpkin bombs

Postby Evenflow » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:43 pm

Season 2 started shooting today in Belfast. Get hype.
Avengers Assembling May 2012 - Felicia Day is ugly - December 20th is the day Darth Evenmaul is born.

Return to “Movies, TV and Anime”