Pirates of the Burning Sea: Best Economy Ever

Playing a game that doesn't have a forum all it's own? Chib about it here!
OverloadUT
Buccaneer
Buccaneer
Custom Rank: Splat!

Pirates of the Burning Sea: Best Economy Ever

Postby OverloadUT » Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:46 pm

Are any of you bitches playing Pirates of the Burning Sea when it comes out? The open beta just ended, and the preorder preboarding starts on the 7th.

I had a ton of fun in this game. The majority of the combat is ship to ship tactical combat which has a surprising amount of depth. Your strategy when playing with more than one person in your party and fighting more than one enemy changes each battle a lot. Boats are fun!

However, what hooked me is the economy. The player driven economy is absolutely amazing. In fact, it's such an important part of the game that one of the four "classes" is a Freetrader which is built around getting bonuses to crafting and trading. Consider these facts for a moment:
  • Every item in the game can be crafted. There are NPC drops but they will NOT give you enough stuff to survive.
  • No item in the game ever moves from one location to another without a player actually sailing from one location to another. The Auction Houses are cross-city, but if you win an item in a different port, it goes in to storage there until you go there to pick it up.
  • Port resources which are needed for buildings (which are needed for crafting) are limited in that not every port has every resource. For example, Ironwood is only in 4 of the ports in the entire world, and they're in high level areas. That means that not only is Ironwood expensive to produce because the recipe is uncommon, but it's also expensive because the players harvesting it have to sail way out to the middle of nowhere just to transport the Ironwood to where it needs to go (either to sell on the AH, or to craft in to other items)
  • All ports (except a few key ones like the capital and the newbie towns) can be conquered by the four factions, through a special worldwide PVP event. You can actually dock in any port even if it's owned by another faction, but the tax rate on buying or producing anything there will be HUGE (40%-50% instead of 5%) if you are foreign. Also, when a port is close to triggering the world event, a big area around the port becomes an open pvp zone. What this means is that the state of the political world (port conquering) will affect market prices. If Britain's closest supply of Ironwood is in a contested (open pvp) port, Ironwood prices are going to go way up because Freetraders will either need to sail to the next closest port with Ironwood (if they even have a logging camp there, which is expensive to build,) or risk the pvp zone to bring Ironwood from the contested port. If you sink with cargo aboard, bye bye cargo. So that would be very risky.
  • The crafting recipes are very in depth and realistic. There are 29 "Raw Goods" recipes in the game which are the only recipes that generate an item without an input item. Every one of the other 782 recipes require items to produce which always can be reduced all the way back to the Raw Goods. For example, a "Mast Brace" is a potion-like item. To produce the lowest level version of it, you need Fir Logs and Nails. Fir Logs is a raw resource, but the nails require Iron Ingots. Iron Ingots require Iron Ore and Limestone, which are both raw resources. Keep in mind that each of those steps requires a different building plus the appropriate recipe to execute (actually Smelt Iron and Forge Nails are both at the Forge) so often times a person crafting Mast Braces won't actually be doing all of the recipes himself. If he doesn't have a Fir Logging Camp for example, he'll be buying those off the AH, which had to have been harvested by another player with a Fir Logging Camp.

All of that adds up to an incredibly interesting economy that is completely player driven.

As a fun little note, the most expensive end-game ship to produce requires 182 individual steps, totaling over 10,000 total recipe executions.

Ausrine
Drunken Pirate
Drunken Pirate
Custom Rank: The most ebil

Postby Ausrine » Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:29 pm

This sounds pretty darn interesting. I'm a big fan of crafting and good itemization, and the combat sounds pretty cool. Hopefully when this semester starts up I'll have time to check it out, keep us posted on how it goes if you end up getting it!

Lightfeather
Site Admin
Site Admin
Custom Rank: Your Admin
Games: World of Warcraft
Guild: Broken Circle

Postby Lightfeather » Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:48 pm

I absolutely butt<3 games that incorporate a heavy player driven economy. That's what kept me in SWG for so long. I had withdrawals during my stint in WoW.

Plus it's a freaking pirate game.

Pass the Grog bishes!
ImageImage

skuppy
The Magic Man
The Magic Man
Games: WoW, Rock Band 2, Fallout 3

Postby skuppy » Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:23 pm

I might have to check this out, the water effects looks amazing and the system specs are reasonable, I have hopes that the screen shots might look like that on my old clunker of a computer.

My roommate loves crafting in MMOs and already spends hours on it in WoW, this might be something we could both get into and play together.
This space for rent.

Marcallo
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Grand Wizard

Postby Marcallo » Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:27 pm

I've been looking at this one also, but I'm the guy who tries nearly any MMO that comes out. Still I might pick it up to check out.
Dog carcass in alley this morning, tire tread on burst stomach. This city is afraid of me. I have seen it's true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"...

...and I'll look down, and whisper "no."

OverloadUT
Buccaneer
Buccaneer

Postby OverloadUT » Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:38 pm

You could go put $5 down at EB (or $10 at best buy) so you can start playing on the 7th. Then if you don't like it, you don't have to buy the full game. You can even get your deposit back. (double check that at Best Buy though)

Also, I forgot to say that I have indeed pre-ordered this and will be playing on the 7th.

Phat.Stack
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Master of the Psychic Dragon Punch

Postby Phat.Stack » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:02 pm

Has anyone been playing this more since release?

I seriously doubt I would jump ship (lawl) from WoW to this, but I always like hearing about other games (I regularly get updates about what EVE is like).

Any insights would be appreciated!

OverloadUT
Buccaneer
Buccaneer

Postby OverloadUT » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:50 pm

Yes I am playing and it is awesome.

We're on the Bonny server as stinky French.

I'd tell you more but I need to go sink some pirates.

Ug
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Postby Ug » Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:57 pm

How's this game turning out?

Marcallo
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Grand Wizard

Postby Marcallo » Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:12 pm

About as well as Tabula Rasa I'd imagine. Meaning, not so well.
Dog carcass in alley this morning, tire tread on burst stomach. This city is afraid of me. I have seen it's true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"...

...and I'll look down, and whisper "no."

Ug
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Postby Ug » Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:26 pm

TR was pretty but my abrupt end to playing is when I finally reached Tier 3 (Commando) and STILL couldn't get a group. Soloing can be so boring. The next MMO that I get into (though it may take buying many) will be more group-oriented, which is one thing I credit Everquest for getting right, even though many whines were spent over it.

Munki
Custom Rank: Alouette, gentille Alouette

Postby Munki » Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:43 pm

I dunno, it's a tricky thing.

FFXI actually had a fantastic group dynamic, it's one of my favorite things in the game. But it also was a pain to sit around (as a dps) and spam for a group for god knows how long.

Sadly, my Ranger/Ninja of high DPS / Pulling prowess didn't seem to land me in many groups, and I didn't want to invest in leveling up a tank / healer at that point.

http://www.vgcats.com/ffxi/?strip_id=5

Group centric gameplay is amazing if you have a group of friends to stick with (I would actually consider playing FFXI again if I had a group of people to play with at all times), but if you DONT have a group of people all willing to play specific roles to make it work, it can be a lot of sitting around wishing you could play.
Space for Rent

Feaduin
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Billions and billions eaten.

Postby Feaduin » Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:59 pm

Heh and why do you think there were so many multi boxers in EQ? We had someone who used to 3 box their own tank, healer, utility to avoid waiting. Or you could sit there like me spamming "65/35 CLR LFG! ... also, will Virt and HOV for PP, pst. " for an hour before you finally get something going... all the while hoping someone doesn't train the zone exit and kill you. I was so glad they put in an in-game MP3 player to alleviate the boredom (and Gems lol).

ShadowDrgn
Buccaneer
Buccaneer

Postby ShadowDrgn » Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:17 pm

FFXI's group mechanics were a bit too rigid though. The bonus xp for extra group members was so good that it never made sense to have a party smaller than 6, and the xp-level calculation horribly penalized any group where members were different levels. There were also too many DPS classes compared to viable tanks and healers. Putting together a balanced group of six players of the same (+/- 2) levels was incredibly hard.

The bonus xp encouraged grouping, and the xp calculation discouraged power leveling, but both went a bit too far. Most games these days seem to do the exact opposite and don't even try for a happy median.
Ras, Human Priest of Ner'zhul, retired

Sord
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: The Trev

Postby Sord » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:25 pm

Sometimes I miss camping the same spot for hours in EQ while grinding AA's. I guess maybe I miss the social aspect of it, sitting around relaxing with a group of guildmates, shooting the shit for hours on end while doing something mindless in game. Maybe thats why I can tolerate pvping in WoW more when I'm with friends :D

Or I'm just nuts.
Bye space sword!

Feaduin
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Billions and billions eaten.

Postby Feaduin » Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:58 pm

Sord wrote:Sometimes I miss camping the same spot for hours in EQ while grinding AA's. I guess maybe I miss the social aspect of it, sitting around relaxing with a group of guildmates, shooting the shit for hours on end while doing something mindless in game. Maybe thats why I can tolerate pvping in WoW more when I'm with friends :D

Or I'm just nuts.

Yeah the social part made it better. But when I look back, I realize how retarded it was for me to camp 50+ hours for the Paw of Opalla. And then 3 days straight for the cleric epic. Maddening! And it wasn't just by myself, it was with guildies so getting a digital item literally halted the lives of several players who periodically shouted "Ragefire CAMPED!"

Ug
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Postby Ug » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:34 am

Well, this game could certainly use some polish. The swashbucking is fairly banal, walking through town looks pretty funky. Icons for skills / abilities have a dated look.

I had to charge heedless into 4 opponents before I thought, "Hey, I might actually lose this fight." I didn't. I've only lost one swordfight, during a boarding raid, and I respawned a few seconds later and was right back in the same fight.

What does set the game apart is the ship battles, and that's where the quality of graphics shines as well. Right now I don't have much in the way of options (default noob ship) but I think I've enough coin now to change that. I've yet to get a handle on a good general strategy, but you can basically go after the crew, sails, or hull (with collateral damage across the other two). I try to reduce the crew for a shot or two and then switch to hull damage, then sails, and back to hull. That's mostly talk though, since I'm tend to not be that coordinated and hope for the best with heavy cannon balls.

For a month now I've had a problem with my computer crashing whenever I'd fire up a game. I finally tracked it down the CPU running hot even when doing nothing, and tilting when doing anything intensive, and I resolved it last night with a giant aftermarket heat sink that looks scary but proved very effective. Not one crash in the 3-4 hours I played (til 1:30am) after finally getting it installed. I'll be playing some more this evening.

--

I'm playing a cutthroat on the Blackbeard server. I'm not committed at this point though. Just getting a feel for the game.

Trede
Midshipman
Midshipman

Postby Trede » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:06 am

If you haven't found it yet, turn on the "show cannon arcs" or some such thing in the options... makes aiming your cannons much easier. I also ran with the wind indicator donut around the ship option turned on, since it makes tacking easier.

Ug
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Postby Ug » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:30 pm

I turned on the arcs (yes, definitely helps while doing fancy maneuvers) and wind donut.

They are going to start free 14 day trial accounts in July. So far I've been having a decent time, though it took some learning. Blowing something to pieces isn't the only way to beat your opponent. I've gotten more active with boarding opponents, and running away and periodically doing Crazy Ivans to send shells through the vulnerable bows of pursuing ships.

Atomic
Captain
Captain

Postby Atomic » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:45 pm

I'm assuming that you can "man" your ship entirely by yourself in this game. It sounds interesting, and I might want to give it a try, but it just reminded me of one of my favorite aspects of Medievia: the ships. There was no way a single person could run a ship in that game. There were no NPC's to shoot the guns for you, to bail out water, to sit in the masts and tell you where you were going. You could sit at the helm, guide your ship, maybe if you were quick enough and didn't run into trouble you could climb the riggings and take a look around every now and then, but likely as not you'd ram yourself aground, and ships were (are?) EXPENSIVE, to the point that you really needed a clan to afford one. Which had the added bonus of meaning you usually had some people to run the ship with you!

What disappointed me with it though was that due to the fact that the game was a MUD, the focus was more towards PvE with ships than PvP. I always wanted to get in a clan that was willing to risk their ship in PvP ship battles, since it was possible to, if you could kill everyone on the ship before they could revive (IIRC it takes ten minutes to corpse) and before anyone else from the clan can get on the ship (which requires someone on the ship in the first place, to approve their request to come aboard, though it doesn't require you to be at port) you can claim the ship as your own.

Man. Talking about this game makes me want to play it again.
"When the fuck did we get ice cream?"

Ug
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Re: Pirates of the Burning Sea: Best Economy Ever

Postby Ug » Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:53 pm

I'm still playing. The prophets have been foretelling of the game's death since before I started 6 months ago. Still a good game, though if the population doubled it would be a great game.

Return to “Flavor of the Month”