Wildstar

Playing a game that doesn't have a forum all it's own? Chib about it here!
Sord
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: The Trev

Wildstar

Postby Sord » Sat May 10, 2014 5:21 pm

Putting this here since people tend to not play new MMO's for more than a month or two :)

Game is out soon. Open beta in full swing.

Put your thoughts here. What server, what class, race, extra class (whatever it's fucking called. I made an explorer).

I've put a few hours into the beta. Seems enjoyable so far but I really like leveling in any new MMO. I haven't looked up any info but for me the biggest deal will probably be access to dungeon / raid type content. Is there a queue system for either? Do you HAVE to have a guild to raid? Is there a LFR type system, etc. I think I read that you can physically zone into a dungeon a few levels before you can queue up for it or some shit. So yeah, I guess for me it is how accessible end game content will be. Can't level forever sadly :)
Bye space sword!

Kiawah
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Drive fast, take chances

Re: Wildstar

Postby Kiawah » Mon May 12, 2014 10:35 am

There's a facebook group out there that we've been talking about the game with.... I think Duffey started it.

Overall... while it's true that there have been a ton of hyped MMOs the past few years that have pretty much all fizzled after awhile... Wildstar has the potential to actually be the next great one (while not 12+ million subscribers great, a quality and more importantly fun MMO). I've been playing the beta for awhile now, and it really is a great experience.

Why? The dev team. The dev team is Carbine studios, which is the core group that created vanilla and TBC WoW. These guys are awesome, and know how to make an MMO, both from a technical standpoint and a game-design standpoint.

The game is basically just vanilla WoW with action combat... until you get into the extra stuff. The dungeons, battle grounds, war plots, etc are where the game really, really shines. No joke either, it's probably some of the best dungeon content ever. It's tough though, but that's one of the reasons why it's so good. So while you can zone into a dungeon before the queue, I wouldn't recommend it. You won't get very far (probably) if you're going into the dungeons before the recommended level.

The combat reminds me a lot of GW2, only better. One of the annoying things about GW2's combat was dodging was always iffy... it was a real guessing game a lot of times. However, Wildstar actually telegraphs the dodging, which removes the guessing out of it... which I like.

The only thing that worries me about it is the raiding. There is a LFG queue for dungeons, however I'm not sure if there is one for raiding (there might be, I just haven't raided yet). The raids are also 20/40 mans again... which I really don't have time for anymore. If that doesn't pan out, and there's no alternative that would be my only reason to stop playing.

I think most of us are planning on going Exiles. They haven't released the servers yet. But I'll *most* likely be a Human Engineer or Stalker. I want to tank in the game (go go instant queue times), and I think that's going to be the best option.

Sord
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Sord » Mon May 12, 2014 12:07 pm

Facebook? You'll never take me alive!

I watched a few of the raid boss videos they posted on their AMA a few days ago. They looked pretty intense. However, it also looked like a major complaint with the mid point of Cataclysm encounters. AKA "the dance" constantly dodging boss effects isn't really fun for me. Some of the shit going out there could cause epilepsy. At least from the few minutes of footage it didn't look like any of the effects one shot you. Still, trying to coordinate 20-40 people to all be avoiding things like that? I dunno man.

The game movement still feels very... spongy. No matter how hard they try, no MMO to date has made movement as tight as WoW. I was doing some of the explorer shit where you have to jump up some trees and it just isn't as accurate. I love the double jump though. Maybe it was just latency but while the combat felt responsive, it was still very spongy in terms of movement. Not unplayable but it can annoy me.

I wonder what the faction balance will be like in terms of population. I played through the starting areas on each side. Does anyone actually LIKE the dominion side? Is the "horde effect" still a thing where people think that playing the "asshole" side is going to win them more pvp? Or do people just like to play oppressive dicks just for the hell of it now? (Like Star Wars or WAR) At least the horde had kind of a noble savage feel to them where everything after seems to have a pretty clear good v evil faction.

I'm debating if I'm going to pre order or not. I'm pretty certain I wont be playing long term but I know I'll enjoy leveling. I'll most likely be rocking the game solo too.
Bye space sword!

Sord
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Sord » Mon May 12, 2014 3:06 pm

Man. I just watched a level 20 dungeon. This game is going to wreck pugs haha. Coordinated interrupts? Crazy bullet hell dodging? Cripes. On one hand I like it cause for the most part I can handle the dance in these games. On the other hand, unless you are playing with a group of similarly skilled people in the instances ... I can see it resulting in a bad time.
Bye space sword!

Tamayo
Captain
Captain

Postby Tamayo » Mon May 12, 2014 9:49 pm

This game intrigues me! Is it going to have a monthly fee?
"Critics who treat adult as a term of approval cannot be adult themselves. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Kiawah
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Kiawah » Tue May 13, 2014 4:51 am

Yeah it has a subscription fee... however, they do it kinda like EVE online where if you're able, you can buy your monthly fee in-game on the AH.

But yeah... the dungeons are going to wreck pugs, at least in the beginning. There's nothing wrong with hard content, every game should have at least some of it. However, if the entire game is nothing but hardcore 40 man raiding, it won't last.

I think faction wise it'll come down to chipmunks or dainty rabbit ears.

Zeyk
Midshipman
Midshipman

Postby Zeyk » Thu May 22, 2014 9:20 pm

The dungeons have difficulty levels at least. Storm Talon's Lair wasn't that hard imo. Pugging it was though. We tried with two window lickers from the Group Finder. Never made it past the first boss... The mechanics were easy to understand for 3 of us(Bree, Moddo and myself). The Execution wasn't too difficult either, but having two boat anchor shit-sippers die almost instantly because they're used to fisher price game play, made things tougher. You can maybe carry one bad, but carrying two is really exceedingly difficult.

Sord, I too have noticed the movement disconnectedness, but only with regard to the environment. I find myself sliding off of things I wouldn't expect to, getting caught up on geometry I wouldn't expect to get caught up on etc. Combat though, movement is very fluid and smooth. It's not Quake 2 tight, but it's no less accurate than WoW in PvP at least. I think you slide more on the ground though. In WoW, I'd often about face by pivoting the camera with the left mouse button to look behind me, then instantly 180 by pressing the right mouse button. You can't do that as snappily in Wildstar because your character's feet slide a bit when you rapidly change direction like that.

I'm having fun with the game though. Love the Sci-Fi, love the art style, love that dungeons are actually fucking hard. The crafting is actually interesting as well and I absolutely HATE crafting in most games.

Kiawah
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Kiawah » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:55 pm

Anyone want a guest pass? They sent those out

Sord
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Sord » Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:01 am

So how's it going? I've watched a few videos of the home instance place and that looked kind of interesting. What are everyone's thoughts? Is it the player housing everyone has been craving for years or is it lacking?

Anyone max level yet? Raiding? Hardcore dugeoning? I need the details! Not cause I will come play necessarily. I just like hearing about it :)
Bye space sword!

Kiawah
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Kiawah » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:51 am

Honestly, at least as far as MMOs and RPGs go, you're not going to beat Wildstar in terms of quality.

The game is actually challenging (shocker), the dev team is amazing, and the amount of content in the game is staggering... with the first major content drop coming in early July. The housing is actually kind of cool. You get 6 plots to put things on, like crafting stations or a garden, plus your house. Most of the decour items are gained either through crafting, random drops in the world, your path, or finishing challenges.

It's still like vanilla WoW though in a lot of ways. The leveling is super easy. I think it took me about 50-55 hours total to hit the level cap. But like WoW, the real game (and grind) starts at the level cap. There is raiding, but for normal players it'll be literally months before they have the gear and attunements needed to jump into a raid. Even the vetern dungeons can take a few weeks of gearing before you're able to do them. But again, because there's so much content, that's not an issue.

Me personally I don't plan on raiding at all. I think it'll take me long enough to gear out just through the dungeons for my PvE fix, and then probably focus on PvP.

Return to “Flavor of the Month”